Cowboy Boots

Silky Johnston

On 5/10/2019 at 10:58 AM, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

I just can't get into the square-toe look. I'm trying to get myself there but they don't look right to me. 

I tried on some AB and Olathe yesterday with that same toe as in your pic. I felt the same way. Just didn't look the like. Seemed like I was wearing flippers (like for swimming).

• Like 1

On 5/9/2019 at 8:08 AM, NoName said:

i mean, i get them going after the exotics, but if you are going to spend $700 on them, why wouldn't you just spend the extra like $300 for Lucchese? 

No kidding.  The Tecovas alligator boots are 695 dollars and have no piping or fancy stitchery.  These from Lucchese are 754 dollars and look much, much better IMO:

71LT2Z3W78L._SX700_.jpg

https://www.zappos.com/p/lucchese-charles-sienna/product/8564985/color/14804?zlfid=191&ref=pd_detail_1_sims_sdp

Both are handmade in Leon, Mexico. 

• Like 2

I tried on some AB and Olathe yesterday with that same toe as in your pic. I felt the same way. Just didn't look the like. Seemed like I was wearing flippers (like for swimming).

I like a “traditional” square toe as more casual options to the standard round toe. The super-wide square toe just doesn’t look right to me. Many people I know disagree with me though and wear them...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 5/10/2019 at 10:58 AM, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

I just can't get into the square-toe look. I'm trying to get myself there but they don't look right to me. 

On 5/11/2019 at 12:13 PM, Steel Shank said:

Get off our lawn!

They were comfortable - don't get me wrong. I just need a more narrow toe than what I tried on.

BTW - I own two pair of custom fit boots. My most comfortable pair of boots is some Justin roper ostrich I bought in '99 (roper toe). 

Walking in them is like driving a brand new Lincoln Towncar, smoking a fatty with a hotter-than-shit brunette sittin' bitch. (with blood red lipstick, finger and toe nails)

Now, put that in your pipe and smoke it, nancy boy.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

No kidding.  The Tecovas alligator boots are 695 dollars and have no piping or fancy stitchery.  These from Lucchese are 754 dollars and look much, much better IMO:

71LT2Z3W78L._SX700_.jpg

https://www.zappos.com/p/lucchese-charles-sienna/product/8564985/color/14804?zlfid=191&ref=pd_detail_1_sims_sdp

Both are handmade in Leon, Mexico. 

Those are handsome.

I bought the wife some Cueros for Mothers Day. She had been looking at the little short Tecovas, and knowing that her tastes in shoes are decidedly not discriminating towards the details of what makes finer footwear finer footwear I showed her the Ceuros website and these were $115. A few thoughts.

wUPdJCix_o.jpg

Um, yeah. She's halfway through carrying my baby, so I won't say too much about how I feel about the general shape of these.

GDgCiew3_o.jpg

Bottom looks nice. The stitches are recessed in a groove to improve their lifespan and the letters look good. There is just a bit of uneven dye at the bottom of the picture, but it's going to get worn and who really cares at this price point?

6zrs9F41_o.jpg

Likewise, the heel looks nice with the logo stamped into the rubber.

2f2lE2ge_o.jpg

The transition from the welt to the shank area is beautifully done. Pull out of pair of less expensive boots if you aren't surly 1% and compare it. They did a really nice job finishing them here.

clIzjAtH_o.jpg

Here we can see there are two brass nails holding the shank area together in addition to whatever holding power the wood pegs have. I scratched the dye off of them so they are easier to see. There are two on each side. The holes for the wood pegs were most likely drilled instead of using an awl, so they will not hold nearly as well. One peg (directly below the nail head my knife tip is pointing to, almost looks like brass) is set deeper than all the others which are nearly flush with the surface of the leather.

vidRO0dA_o.jpg

A shot of the inside. Of course the top isn't stitched through, which is something I've come to expect on less expensive boots. That's not to say there aren't top quality boots built like this, but it's a pretty consistent pattern. The "insole" is glued to a layer of foam padding. This, combined with other observations leads me to believe that these are constructed similar to the AB Horsepower (Hecho en Mexico) boots I deconstructed a while back. For contrast, here is what my new pair of Anderson Beans (Made in Texas) look like when you take the "insole" out.

jsFaJLPy_o.jpg

Overall the Cueros aren't bad at all for the price.

*note: I put insole in quotes because the part called the insole in traditional shoe and bootmaking does not really correspond to the layer of fabric covered foam most people associate with the term. A true insole is structurally integral to the boot.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

I have decided that when I get back to the states I'm going to get a pair.

That'll give you some time to think of a good pic of the boots you will be posting here. For example - propped up on the rail around the dance floor at the Spoke. Give us something cool.

• Like 1

I only have two pair of truly special boots.  My first pair when I was 2, my grandmother had bronzed, kept with her most of her life, and gave back to me before she passed.  And the pair my grandfather wore.  Both occupy places of honor within our house.  They are priceless.

The soul of each boot.  It's story.  

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

21 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Tecovas with another swing and miss: 

https://www.tecovas.com/pages/introducing-python?utm_campaign=201909 - Python Preview (LkdxbA)&utm_medium=email&utm_klaviyoid=ME5FvX&utm_source=Engaged List (Template)&_ke=eyJrbF9lbWFpbCI6ICJwYWNlYXVzdGluakBnbWFpbC5jb20iLCAia2xfY29tcGFueV9pZCI6ICJtdEhGcEQifQ%3D%3D

I like brown python boots, but these just look very plain to me. The pricing will be interesting, Tecovas has been creeping up there. 

Saw that, wondering if they're gonna price them above the caiman being that their supposed to be a limited edition.

I pulled the trigger on some Dan Post Python Boots : https://www.sheplers.com/dan-post-mens-chocolate-back-cut-python-cowboy-boots---medium-toe/2000232501.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjw5rbsBRCFARIsAGEYRwfbP9dT4nKpjTli8ViWNabshrhLxLkHa1YZMMDeUvOaD5HfXyNtNIEaAmI-EALw_wcB&colorCode=240&ef_id=Cj0KCQjw5rbsBRCFARIsAGEYRwfbP9dT4nKpjTli8ViWNabshrhLxLkHa1YZMMDeUvOaD5HfXyNtNIEaAmI-EALw_wcB:G:s

I've never liked black and white python boots, but I really like the chocolate color here. They look better online, but pretty nice in person too. 

FYI: Dan Post has redesigned their insoles to the make their boots much more comfortable. The new insole looks and feels similar to a running shoe. 

15 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I pulled the trigger on some Dan Post Python Boots : https://www.sheplers.com/dan-post-mens-chocolate-back-cut-python-cowboy-boots---medium-toe/2000232501.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjw5rbsBRCFARIsAGEYRwfbP9dT4nKpjTli8ViWNabshrhLxLkHa1YZMMDeUvOaD5HfXyNtNIEaAmI-EALw_wcB&colorCode=240&ef_id=Cj0KCQjw5rbsBRCFARIsAGEYRwfbP9dT4nKpjTli8ViWNabshrhLxLkHa1YZMMDeUvOaD5HfXyNtNIEaAmI-EALw_wcB:G:s

I've never liked black and white python boots, but I really like the chocolate color here. They look better online, but pretty nice in person too. 

FYI: Dan Post has redesigned their insoles to the make their boots much more comfortable. The new insole looks and feels similar to a running shoe. 

Ha! I was looking at those exact boots yesterday as well. 

14 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

A pair of Tecovas Caiman Bellies and Ostrich with matching belt are in my plans. I struck out miserably at the Warehouse Sale in Houston. 

I have the Tecovas FQO in pecan with the matching belt. I really like the boots, the belt works, but seems a little flimsy.

4 hours ago, Masshole Horn said:

have the Tecovas FQO in pecan with the matching belt. I really like the boots, the belt works, but seems a little flimsy.

Any recommendations/thought on where to buy decent exotic belts without giving up your left arm and firstborn son? 

3 hours ago, NoName said:

Any recommendations/thought on where to buy decent exotic belts without giving up your left arm and firstborn son? 

I don't have enough experience to give solid advice. I am going to look at exotic prints next time I'm in Austin. As long as they are leather, sturdy, and look close enough, that's what I'll do. I expect to pay $50-$60 for that. If I can't find any, I'll continue buying from North Star Leather. He does good work; uses leather from the Red Wing tannery.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, housious said:

For all of you infidels out there, Tecovas will start releasing square toe boots in the next month or two. That's according to some dude who works at their store in San Antonio. 

This. 

Lucchese wants $339 for a Caiman belly belt. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

11 hours ago, housious said:

For all of you infidels out there, Tecovas will start releasing square toe boots in the next month or two. That's according to some dude who works at their store in San Antonio. 

If this is true, I might pick up some FQO. Need some black boots for suit days and since that’s the only time I’d wear black, would rather not spend 1k. My caiman luchesse are still in great shape (5 yo daily wear). Will have to take a closer look at the gators, though I wasn’t very impressed on my initial look. 

About 10 years ago I was "given" my father's old pair of custom boots, made by Charlie Dunn in the 1970s.  They were a birthday gift from my mother to him back when he moved to Texas.  I say "given" because despite being told they were mine, my father had no clue where the boots actually were.  I never expected to actually receive them.

Well a couple months ago they showed up in a FedEx box, and are not in great shape.  On first looking at them, inlays are discolored, leather is dry as hell, and they probably need a new sole. 

Where do I take them to for getting checked out/repaired to the extent needed?  I'm located in Houston.  Thanks.

On 9/28/2019 at 9:28 AM, ERhine said:

About 10 years ago I was "given" my father's old pair of custom boots, made by Charlie Dunn in the 1970s.  They were a birthday gift from my mother to him back when he moved to Texas.  I say "given" because despite being told they were mine, my father had no clue where the boots actually were.  I never expected to actually receive them.

Well a couple months ago they showed up in a FedEx box, and are not in great shape.  On first looking at them, inlays are discolored, leather is dry as hell, and they probably need a new sole. 

Where do I take them to for getting checked out/repaired to the extent needed?  I'm located in Houston.  Thanks.

https://www.republicbootcompany.com/

24 minutes ago, Masshole Horn said:

How do they fit size wise? I wear between 10.5D to 11EE depending on brand wear 11D in sneakers.

I wear a 10.5 in sneakers, 9.5 M/D in dress shoes, 10 D in Tecovas, and a 10.5 D in Dan Post. 

I’d say Dan Post runs a 1/2 size small. I’d order up a half from what you wear in Tecovas. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Double H makes a nice / comfortable boot 

Yep. Been wearing them for years. After break in they feel almost like a good leather soled pair of ropers.

4 hours ago, HoustonHorn said:

Most of the time I have to visit project sites, I'm not getting on a plane. Do steel toes cause issues going through security?

Nah. You gotta take them off anyways. Much easier to slip off a pair of boots than regular shoes.

On 10/18/2019 at 8:38 AM, Masshole Horn said:

Exotics went up $40 looks like.  Time to look at Allen's house brand.

Any experience with those? They look nice comparable to Tecovas and the exotics are $60-$65 cheaper.

21 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Have to pay for all those new stores and staff.

Exactly what I was thinking.

1 hour ago, Art Vandelay said:

Any experience with those? They look nice comparable to Tecovas and the exotics are $60-$65 cheaper.

Exactly what I was thinking.

I tried them on last time I was in Austin. The seemed on par quality-wise and actually fit me a little better; my high instep makes getting on Tecovas difficult.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Looks a bit like the Lucchese I or "french" toe, which has been around a long time.  Not for me, either, but doesn't evoke the same reaction as the kleenex box.

i.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Definitely not a french toe, which is a more classic style. They look to be more like the Ariats that were popular ten years ago or so. Different profile, but similar width when viewed from the top.

On 10/21/2019 at 11:49 PM, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Definitely not a french toe, which is a more classic style. They look to be more like the Ariats that were popular ten years ago or so. Different profile, but similar width when viewed from the top.

You would probably know.  They say "bovine" lining, instead of cowhide, or calf, or glove leather or some more conventional term.  Makes me think it's tripe or something.  Any idea what that means?

Bovine probably means regular cowhide or something. If it was calf, they would say calf. But they don't want to outright say it is regular cowhide. It sounds like they are cutting costs and raising prices to either realize more profits or realize profits at all. If they've expanded into retail space they are probably short on capital, so cutting costs makes sense. Of course, this is all just conjecture.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/2/2019 at 4:58 PM, Masshole Horn said:

Another new direct to consumer Austin-based hecho brand: https://chisos.com

Priced well above Cuero and Tecovas... $495 for either style. No width options.

so the guy is making boots that are ethically made/sourced and that is his differentiator in the market? i know there are a ton of folks who care about that but...that is a high price

maybe the guy is going to make a killing, but come on man. dude is a Texas grad and his title at Chisos is "Founder and Chief Texan" - COME ON. Chief Texan? 

Dissatisfied with the existing options of uncomfortable and outdated boots, Roman decided to make his own. A University of Texas alumnus and veteran business owner, Roman ripped open all types of boots and spent months experimenting with improvements to both structure and design. Chisos boots forgo traditional western patterns for more Texan, understated motifs. A proprietary post-tanning process creates the unique softness and beautiful depth of the Chisos heritage cowhide.

G6KiF60p

just being curious here but is there anything that can be done specifically to make "more" comfortable boots compared to anyone else on the market?

side note

Spoiler

i thought with the focus on ethically sourcing he would be rather liberal. that is does not seem to be the case based on his twitter account