Cowboy Boots

Silky Johnston

15 hours ago, smwhorn said:

Cuero's looks like they're having a pretty good sale on some pretty nice looking boots.

Anyone ever NOT like a pair of Cuero's they bought?

I like my Cueros, but the last is a little narrow for me. Took quite a while to break in, but they're fine now. Consider ordering a wide if you trend that way.

Look at those Republics up close.  For admitted hechos with less than fine stitching, cowhide, and not the greatest looking hide up close, 450 is a rip.

Getcha some beautiful buffalo BlackJacks for less. https://timsboots.com/florence-buffalo-boots-by-black-jack/  Hecho en El Paso.

Or some lovely kangaroo. https://timsboots.com/black-jack-finesse-kangaroo-boots/

Plus you get widths and choice of toe and heel.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 2

On 12/21/2019 at 11:07 PM, TwiceHorn said:

Look at those Republics up close.  For admitted hechos with less than fine stitching, cowhide, and not the greatest looking hide up close, 450 is a rip.

Getcha some beautiful buffalo BlackJacks for less. https://timsboots.com/florence-buffalo-boots-by-black-jack/  Hecho en El Paso.

Or some lovely kangaroo. https://timsboots.com/black-jack-finesse-kangaroo-boots/

Plus you get widths and choice of toe and heel.

I was looking over Tim's Boots website and came across the Cowtown brand. Seems to be about half of the styles are made in El Paso and the other half Mexico with really reasonable prices.

Does anyone have experience with Cowtown Boots?

36 minutes ago, Masshole Horn said:

I was looking over Tim's Boots website and came across the Cowtown brand. Seems to be about half of the styles are made in El Paso and the other half Mexico with really reasonable prices.

Does anyone have experience with Cowtown Boots?

Not recently personally.  I knew a guy not too long ago that was a big fan of accumulating exotics from them.  They are decent boots.  I believe they are all leather, but may not have the finest details you have ever seen, if that makes sense.  Comparable in appearance, from what I have seen, to the Republics above.

• Like 1

Re: Cowtown.  Put it this way, they have belly caiman and alligator boots for a rock-bottom price.  Because those won't have toe bugs or generally elaborate or colorful tops (so kind of minimal visible detail), I have often contemplated scratching the large reptile itch with them.

Edit:  checking their actual site, many of the big lizard boots do have multiple rows of stitching and it looks alright.  The pulls, which can be a "craftsmanship" giveaway, are a bit rough.

Edited by TwiceHorn

4 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Re: Cowtown.  Put it this way, they have belly caiman and alligator boots for a rock-bottom price.  Because those won't have toe bugs or generally elaborate or colorful tops (so kind of minimal visible detail), I have often contemplated scratching the large reptile itch with them.

Weird thing FWIW. All the gator, croc, sea turtle (not teju) boots I've ever worn wear on the outside right heel really bad when I drive from rubbing the carpet.  No other boots do this noticeably.  Over 30 years, that includes Lucchese, pre-Berkshire Larry Mahan, one pair of Rios, and some customs made for me in Matamoros, as well as 4-5 different cars.  

So I have to take off the reptiles when I drive.  No issues like that with ostrich or the "safari" exotics, or the non-exotics.

Just a weird thing I warn people about when they're looking at exotic reptile.

11 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Weird thing FWIW. All the gator, croc, sea turtle (not teju) boots I've ever worn wear on the outside right heel really bad when I drive from rubbing the carpet.  No other boots do this noticeably.  Over 30 years, that includes Lucchese, pre-Berkshire Larry Mahan, one pair of Rios, and some customs made for me in Matamoros, as well as 4-5 different cars.  

So I have to take off the reptiles when I drive.  No issues like that with ostrich or the "safari" exotics, or the non-exotics.

Yeah, I've seen that from time to time.  Kind of like the color leaches out?

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah, I've seen that from time to time.  Kind of like the color leaches out?

Yeah- kinda looks like you rubbed them with a rough rag covered in bleach.  Usually a mark about the size of the tip of your index finger.  Boot guy said he saw it all the time because that hide on the heel area on reptile boots is usually stretched thinner than the rest of the boot.  I don't know, but it's just painful to pay that much and wear them once or twice in the car and see the mark.

I think many of those reptile like skins are basically painted on because they don't really accept dye very well. I've seen ostrich leg and gator leather advertised basically in the white for folks who want to finish it themselves. The color doesn't penetrate very deep depending on how it is done, so that could explain the premature wear.

Anyone have any experience with Ferrini boots? Based in Carrolton, Texas and hecho in Mexico. Came across a pair of lizard skins online marked down below $200 and decided to pull the trigger on them as a Xmas present to myself. Can always return them.

Haven't been able to find out much about Ferrini but what I have read is mostly positive.

• 2 weeks later...

Cuero is having a sale right now so I bought a pair of the Austin ropers for $159, which is about a third off the regular price. They showed up today and fit pretty good. The quality and finish is very similar to Tecovas.

My only quibble is that the shaft is about 1-2 inches shorter than what I am used to in my other boots. Not sure if that will matter in the long run. 

On 12/23/2019 at 10:06 AM, Liquor and Poker said:

That’s odd. I’ve daily worn a pair of caimans for the last 4 years or so, and just went and checked.  Nothing to report.  In that time I’ve put a little over 140k miles on my truck, and a few on the wife’s.  Wonder if I am driving with my foot in some weirdo position or something. 

• 3 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Godzillatron said:

Has Tecovas raised their prices? I’ve got 2 pair and felt they were a good value when I bought them - ostrich and caiman. Now I’m looking for a square toe calfskin and the Jackson at $255 just feels overpriced? Or it could be I’m a cheap SOB...

Gotta pay for those free beers and TV ads.

5 minutes ago, NoName said:

whats generally the "best" option in this category these days?

Provided all the boots fit nicely, there's no reason to skip Cuero at ~$100 less than Tecovas.

For me, Allen's house brand hechos fit the best, and they're $50ish less than Tecovas.

19 hours ago, Godzillatron said:

Has Tecovas raised their prices? I’ve got 2 pair and felt they were a good value when I bought them - ostrich and caiman. Now I’m looking for a square toe calfskin and the Jackson at $255 just feels overpriced? Or it could be I’m a cheap SOB...

They raised their calfskins $20 and exotics $40 a few months ago

On 12/23/2019 at 10:06 AM, Liquor and Poker said:

I noticed this on my calfskin boots.  Was trying to figure out why this was happening on them and this makes a lot of sense. 

2 hours ago, 1978horn said:

I noticed this on my calfskin boots.  Was trying to figure out why this was happening on them and this makes a lot of sense. 

Talked to My old boot guy about this.  He said it only happens to folks who are used to driving with three pedals. Apparently if you drove stick historically or currently you drive like this - left foot on the clutch (or where it would be).  Right foot in the area between the console and on the right edge of the brake pedal. You then leave your heel planted and turn the top of your foot left or right to hit the accelerator or brake.  That causes the rubbing. 

People who always drove automatics put their left foot way out to the side, so they are used to more room in the footwell.  That means they actually pick up their foot and move it to switch pedals. So it doesn’t happen to them. 

He said it happens more on exotics because they tend to be thinner hides.  

• Like 2

On 12/1/2019 at 11:37 PM, MirrOlure said:

So....jeans being an important compliment to boots, I thought I’d offer that anyone looking outside of Wranglers or Levi’s....the Tecova jeans are pretty damn awesome.

$125 a pair...but they are as comfortable as sweat pants. I’m 6’3 195 and the slim cut 34x34’s are not skin tight, don’t bind at all. I could easily sleep in them.

Leg opening is not flared, but also isn’t tight around the boots and doesn’t get “stuck” when you stand up after sitting.

I’ll definitely get another pair in a different wash.

20 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Talked to My old boot guy about this.  He said it only happens to folks who are used to driving with three pedals. Apparently if you drove stick historically or currently you drive like this - left foot on the clutch (or where it would be).  Right foot in the area between the console and on the right edge of the brake pedal. You then leave your heel planted and turn the top of your foot left or right to hit the accelerator or brake.  That causes the rubbing. 

People who always drove automatics put their left foot way out to the side, so they are used to more room in the footwell.  That means they actually pick up their foot and move it to switch pedals. So it doesn’t happen to them. 

He said it happens more on exotics because they tend to be thinner hides.  

This boot guy of yours must be amazing, I just stopped driving a manual about 4 years ago.  I was conscious about it today and did notice that my heel was planted and I just rotated.  I tried it the other way and it was uncomfortable as hell.  Now I am going to have to have some "driving" shoes.

Yeah, guys who have been working with leather for decades tend to know what they are talking about with regards to leather. As a guy whose hobby is leatherwork though, I will say this: a lot of exotic leathers are sold as "crusts." This means the hide is tanned and bleached white. It is then up to the purchaser to dye or finish them whatever color they want. So the dye, paint, or whatever finish they choose doesn't penetrate through the whole hide. Some commercial suppliers finish things the same way. Some will drum dye exotics, which is basically putting the hide in a drum filled with dye and rotating it until the color is soaked all the way through. This is the way most non exotic leather is finished. So, depending on who your boot maker gets their leather from, the inside of exotics might be white ,or it might be the same color as the rest. 

So, a little wear on it might wear through the dyed portion or it might not. It just depends on how the leather was tanned and then dyed.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Yeah, guys who have been working with leather for decades tend to know what they are talking about with regards to leather. As a guy whose hobby is leatherwork though, I will say this: a lot of exotic leathers are sold as "crusts." This means the hide is tanned and bleached white. It is then up to the purchaser to dye or finish them whatever color they want. So the dye, paint, or whatever finish they choose doesn't penetrate through the whole hide. Some commercial suppliers finish things the same way. Some will drum dye exotics, which is basically putting the hide in a drum filled with dye and rotating it until the color is soaked all the way through. This is the way most non exotic leather is finished. So, depending on who your boot maker gets their leather from, the inside of exotics might be white ,or it might be the same color as the rest. 

So, a little wear on it might wear through the dyed portion or it might not. It just depends on how the leather was tanned and then dyed.

No way to know much about the way it was dyed, but it's certainly happened to all my exotics, regardless of price range.  Justins, Luccheses, Rios, boots I bought from a guy in Matamoros, whatever.  

On 2/11/2020 at 9:36 PM, Art Vandelay said:

PSA: Cuero boots are 25% off now through Feb. 14 with coupon code "LOVE" at checkout.

That's on top of the sale price, so the Eastwoods are $138 -- and that's including tax. Just got myself another pair. Couldn't pass them up at that price.

Mine came today.