Cowboy Boots

Silky Johnston

On 2/14/2020 at 2:38 PM, Liquor and Poker said:

No way to know much about the way it was dyed, but it's certainly happened to all my exotics, regardless of price range.  Justins, Luccheses, Rios, boots I bought from a guy in Matamoros, whatever.  

So I just got a new pair of boots and paid attention to how I drove this morning and based on my observations I don’t think you guys that have that wear problem drive trucks.

Only my heel touches the floor mat while driving a pickup with more vertical leg position

22 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

So I just got a new pair of boots and paid attention to how I drove this morning and based on my observations I don’t think you guys that have that wear problem drive trucks.

Only my heel touches the floor mat while driving a pickup with more vertical leg position

Mine too.  The rubbing is caused by rolling the heel left and right to switch between gas pedal and brake. 

Happened to me in trucks and cars.  But I did learn to drive on a manual car. 

Maybe I missed something in the discussion above, but why would learning to drive a stick have anything to do with it? Are you guys saying that someone who never grew up driving a stick shift uses one foot for the brake and one for the gas? Seriously? 

Even learning in mostly automatics, I was told to NEVER do that with separate feet because it was harder on the brake pads and was too complicated. The existence or non-existence of a clutch pedal wasn't part of that advice. 

Edited by crimsonlonghorn

7 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Mine too.  The rubbing is caused by rolling the heel left and right to switch between gas pedal and brake. 

Happened to me in trucks and cars.  But I did learn to drive on a manual car. 

I pivot my foot but the angle of my leg in my truck only lets the heel touch the mat and not the leather so no wearing.

8 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Maybe I missed something in the discussion above, but why would learning to drive a stick have anything to do with it? Are you guys saying that someone who never grew up driving a stick shift uses one foot for the brake and one for the gas? Seriously? 

Even learning in mostly automatics, I was told to NEVER do that with separate feet because it was harder on the brake pads and was too complicated. The existence or non-existence of a clutch pedal wasn't part of that advice. 

No.  Just that you actually lift your foot rather than pivot back and forth with your heel in a fixed spot.  I know I do that and I learned on a manual.

4 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Want to buy gator or croc boots. Really liked Lucchese caimans. Any other worth considering?

If they were Lucchese Classics, and you were paying close attention to the craftsmanship, only a few brands will match.  BlackJack, Rios/Anderson Bean/Olathe.  Classics can't be had for much less than $1000/pair and that on a good sale for calf or goat.

If they were 1883 or whatever Lucchese calls their lesser brands, any number will do.  Probably ought to consider the Tecovas. Down completely to look/style/fit.

Edited by TwiceHorn

On 2/22/2020 at 4:13 PM, Dbeasy said:

Want to buy gator or croc boots. Really liked Lucchese caimans. Any other worth considering?

I’ve been daily wearing a pair for ~5 -6ish years now. They have held up very well. Need a sole job on them, probably send them off this month.  I think this will be #3. Likely moving back into some fq ostrich or maybe the fish next time around. I’ve been in hard wearing leathers for the last decade plus now (gator to elephant to these caimans) for daily wears. Time to give the feet a break for a few years. 

On 2/22/2020 at 8:37 PM, TwiceHorn said:

If they were Lucchese Classics, and you were paying close attention to the craftsmanship, only a few brands will match.  BlackJack, Rios/Anderson Bean/Olathe.  Classics can't be had for much less than $1000/pair and that on a good sale for calf or goat.

If they were 1883 or whatever Lucchese calls their lesser brands, any number will do.  Probably ought to consider the Tecovas. Down completely to look/style/fit.

Also, Lucchese is incredibly proud of their boots.  You can probably save $500 on Rios or BlackJack and get the same quality as Classic and better than the non-Classic.

Went and picked up my new pair of custom Maida's today just in time for the rodeo. They are pretty nice and fit perfectly. The difference between those and other off the shelf brands is amazing. 

The most impressive part IMO is the shaft, both the sizing and the quality of the build. It's about 3 inches higher up my leg and the circumference is perfect.

I wore them around all afternoon and have already commissioned him to build me another pair of plain Jane red kangaroo ropers for everyday wear. Will post pics when they show up in 6 months.

1667421097_IMG_38383.jpg.84639ef7e717370f6076ddaebc2b017f.jpg

1065265943_IMG_38393.jpg.f639e150786338178324238a1fe8d9b1.jpg

874853386_IMG_38403.jpg.acf81ab11a4566e9c5e894e35286ed73.jpg

1080863791_IMG_38463.jpg.c5df1adcaa499d1b7972a5586060db38.jpg

Edited by crimsonlonghorn
  • Like 5

What’s the general consensus on Tecova’s customer service? I complained about a belt with pics and they told me to go screw.
Maida’s is making my badge holder for the Rodeo. I have no idea how it’ll turn out, but I need one quick. 

Tecovas: complained about a minor blemish on a pair of Boots and had a replacement in hand before I’d even sent the first pair back. But that was within 1 day of delivery. Have no idea what that discussion looks like 6 months later.

15 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

What’s the general consensus on Tecova’s customer service? I complained about a belt with pics and they told me to go screw.

Maida’s is making my badge holder for the Rodeo. I have no idea how it’ll turn out, but I need one quick. 

Experience with CS has been top notch.

I have a Tecovas ostrich belt. It's adequate, but won't get another belt from them. It's not sturdy enough for my liking.

6 hours ago, Masshole Horn said:

Experience with CS has been top notch.

I have a Tecovas ostrich belt. It's adequate, but won't get another belt from them. It's not sturdy enough for my liking.

I like the way Tecova’s belts look, and I like to match them to my boots. So the look is spot on, but you’re right, not sturdy/durable. 

My cobbler told me all the big boot companies make shitty belts, and he could make me a much better belt for less money. It makes sense. Custom boots are better than most boots you buy off the shelf. It’s probably the case with belts as well.

22 hours ago, GotThatFire said:

Is there a pair of boots that doesn't sound like high heels when you walk in them? Maybe rubber soles? 

A lot of that is fit.  If they're too loose and slip in the back, the heels tend to clomp down on the floor.  I'd guess that a whole lot of people wearing boots that have never been fitted for them by someone who knows what they're doing are wearing boots that are too large and slippy.  Note, until the sole gets "bent in," your heel will move enough in the back to maybe make a hot spot or blister.  This is different from boots that are just too damn loose.  If you can kick off your boots easily, they don't fit right and probably clomp on the floor.

Some of it may be walking with more heel than you're used to.  Most shoes are pretty flat or have little discernible heel, to include a lot of the non-traditional "dress" shoes.

A well-made, well-fitting pair of boots shouldn't clomp or tap any more than dress shoes.

Edited by TwiceHorn

1 hour ago, Masshole Horn said:

I wore pearl snaps when I lived in Texas, but I'd feel like I was trying to wear a costume with a pearl snap up here.

I don’t care for them either. I’m good with a Wranglers solid twill shirt. I think pearl snap/decorative Western shirts are reserved for dudes going to a Midland concert and women. 

I really like Tecovas’ jeans. I know they’re expensive. Flame away. 

Believe it or not, the Wranglers Five Star jeans are pretty comfortable and look just fine. Not bad for $25. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Like 1