Cowboy Boots

Silky Johnston

On 11/27/2019 at 7:12 PM, Steel Shank said:

I'm in no need on any new boots, so I'm not really looking. But, something just doesn't seem right to me about these new boot companies. Seems a little " let's get stylish for the new stylish guy". I'm probably just being an asshole, old dude. I'm just not used to seeing boots marketed like Nikes.

I posted this back in November. I agree about the metrosexual fashion boys just all over these boots. That just confirms I won't be buying any. 

signed,

Cranky Old Dude That Doesn't Have A Beard

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Alvin89 said:

Mother of God...."Hey Tecovas brothers."  Unreal

Is there a secret handshake?

Reminds me of a story. Years back I go into a meeting at work (bunch of white collar folks with some "creative" types). Young guy sitting next to me is wearing some Carhart canvas pants. I say, "Hey, I've got a pair like that. I wear them for hunting. They're good pants." He says, "That's all I ever wear." I'm thinking what a fucking dumbass because they can get hot ass shit. You wear those opening weekend of dove season, you're taking those puppies off as soon as you can. 

Anyway, the Tecova fanbois reminded of of that guy. /csb

Edited by Steel Shank
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Steel Shank said:

Is there a secret handshake?

Reminds me of a story. Years back I go into a meeting at work (bunch of white collar folks with some "creative" types). Young guy sitting next to me is wearing some Carhart canvas pants. I say, "Hey, I've got a pair like that. I wear them for hunting. They're good pants." He says, "That's all I ever wear." I'm thinking what a fucking dumbass because they can get hot ass shit. You wear those opening weekend of dove season, you're taking those puppies off as soon as you can. 

Anyway, the Tecova fanbois reminded of of that guy. /csb

can't remember the last time i wore long pants for dove.  it's just too hot.  i go through so many cans of bug spray i wouldn't be surprised if i had a patina for a few months. 

I’d seriously question the sanity of a guy wearing Carhart dungarees to a corporate office job. 

I work with a younger guy that wears boots and wool slacks to the office everyday. Now he’s from East Texas and graduated from Tech, so he might not know any better. I don’t think it works, but I’m not going to tell the guy he looks like douche. That’s his business to figure out. 

But I do give him shit about wearing Kleenex box square toes.

Edited by billfromlaketravis

On 5/26/2020 at 4:01 PM, Juicy said:

well fuck me. got an email today from cuero that my boot order will not be fulfilled. They said for the inconvenience they will let me take my $80 purchase and give me a $100 credit plus a 20% off coupon to use online on the 2020 boots. Looks like you can't even get to the checkout anymore. 

I may as well take that and hope that they do this same clearance promotion next year and I will get 2 for the price of 1 on the boots. Otherwise if they come out with any exotics this year I may snag a pair of ostrich. 

Will be interesting to see how well they hold up but damn if these aren't the most comfortable boots. 

Just got the $15 off email after letting a pair of boots sit in my cart for a few days and I can't get the the checkout to work. I emailed support for help just to see what they will do. I've been very pleased with the ropers I bought and will be buying another pair if the price is right. In my opinion, they are the same quality as my Tecovas and easier for me to put on and take off. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just signed my offer letter for a new job and I'm going to reward myself for that and Father's day with some new boots, probably Tecovas Caiman ropers.  I'll be visiting clients all over Texas and was thinking maybe I'd get some appropriate dress slacks and maybe a sport coat with a western cut.

Anybody wear this kind of stuff, and where do you get it?  What brands, etc.?

• Like 4

9 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

Just signed my offer letter for a new job and I'm going to reward myself for that and Father's day with some new boots, probably Tecovas Caiman ropers.  I'll be visiting clients all over Texas and was thinking maybe I'd get some appropriate dress slacks and maybe a sport coat with a western cut.

I've remained silent for too long, ropers should be a last resort. If you have giant calves, or you're too old/other health issues to take western boots off, I get it, rock on, wear ropers. Otherwise wear a western style boot.

Sheplers has some reasonably priced western suits. If you're looking for something more cattle baron like, I'd suggest Pinto Ranch. 

If anybody could suggest a good western navy sports coat, I'd be much obliged. I haven't seen any I like thus far.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

Also congratulations on the new job. It's nice to see people doing well right now. 

• Like 1

On 6/12/2020 at 11:00 PM, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Meh, I would just go with a regular suit or slacks/sports coat combo. Just make sure the pants are a couple of inches longer than you would wear with normal shoes. 

Yup.  If you can get away with pressed khakis, those are probably ideal.  Wrangler used to make some khakis, mostly cotton, cut like Cowboy Cut jeans.  They were pretty optimal for dressier wear with boots and maybe a sportcoat, except they had a Wrangler tag you needed to cut off.  Called RIata, I think. Doesn't look like they make them anymore or maybe these are the ones https://www.wrangler.com/shop/mens-wrangler-casuals-flat-front-relaxed-fit-pants-00096.html?dwvar_00096_color=00096KH but they look kind of like skinny jeans.

One problem is that a lot of the pretty slim cuts on dressier pants and suit pants these days just don't work with boots.  I personally dislike "boot cut" pants/jeans with a flared bottom:  very Dwight Yoakam (love Dwight, but the style is not for non-performers).  I prefer a slightly larger leg that's straight to the bottom, like Cowboy Cuts, 501/505 (which are a little different in that I believe they taper slightly to the knee and then straight), and the way suit and dressier pants used to be cut for grown men.

Also, western cut sport coats tend to look out of place, imho, unless you really are that guy (a rancher or c/w performer). I.e. the Dwight Yoakam problem.

Boots work pretty well with a suit, with the length proviso NAAL mentioned and assuming it's not a skinny suit.  Also, in my opinion, they should be dark, pretty subtle boots.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Yep, what NAAL and twice said.

Engineer that hasn’t worn dress shoes for a single day of my career in lieu of boots here.

Getting harder to find khaki like slacks that fit the bill, and trim but not euro suits. Had to return several pairs of online ordered pants over the past few years that are too skinny cut at the bottom.

I have exactly one western cut sport coat that I was sure I was going to wear all the time when I started my career. I’ve since found that as a 5th generation Texan and 3rd generation Longhorn and 3rd generation of oil&gas man whose parents raise longhorns and has dabbled in owning my own it doesn’t feel right. I don’t mind cheesing it up ever so often with that coat and bolo tie, but in reality I’m just a suburban middle class dude trying to raise a family, not “Tex” or “Slim” driving into the “Big D” from Southfork for a wedding.

Be a Texan, but be yourself. Not a character you want to be. Nothing looks worse IMO than a guy in a cheap Stetson for no reason who can’t wear it. Same goes for the hipsters wearing matching exotic belts and boots with floral print shirts and skinny jeans [insert Ray Wylie - Port Aransas dope dealer joke here]

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Llano Estacado said:

Yep, what NAAL and twice said.

Engineer that hasn’t worn dress shoes for a single day of my career in lieu of boots here.

Getting harder to find khaki like slacks that fit the bill, and trim but not euro suits. Had to return several pairs of online ordered pants over the past few years that are too skinny cut at the bottom.

I have exactly one western cut sport coat that I was sure I was going to wear all the time when I started my career. I’ve since found that as a 5th generation Texan and 3rd generation Longhorn and 3rd generation of oil&gas man whose parents raise longhorns and has dabbled in owning my own it doesn’t feel right. I don’t mind cheesing it up ever so often with that coat and bolo tie, but in reality I’m just a suburban middle class dude trying to raise a family, not “Tex” or “Slim” driving into the “Big D” from Southfork for a wedding.

Be a Texan, but be yourself. Not a character you want to be. Nothing looks worse IMO than a guy in a cheap Stetson for no reason who can’t wear it. Same goes for the hipsters wearing matching exotic belts and boots with floral print shirts and skinny jeans [insert Ray Wylie - Port Aransas dope dealer joke here]

Yeah, the whole western dress thing runs the risk of being a little cartoonish.

With regular dress shoes, I'm of the let your freak flag fly:  slip-ons, monk straps, light tans, fucking spectator wing tips.  Go for it if you think you can get away with it and are mindful of the occasion.

I'd be a bit more conservative with the western wear.

22 hours ago, Llano Estacado said:

Engineer  Play engineer that hasn’t worn dress shoes for a single day of my career in lieu of boots here.

Checking in.  Still don't own a pair of dress shoes, though I probably should.  But why spend $450 on shoes when another $500 will get me a new pair of boots?

Ostrich, Gator (belly), Caiman (belly), and Lizard are my go to suit boots.  

Also to note, there were Riata pants like Twice discussed, and regular Wrangler Riata khakis that were normal khakis.  I don't own any Khaki's anymore either, so cant speak to current trends, but all my new slacks/suit pants need the LBJ treatment.  Definitely don't like that trend.

Also, a silverbelly goes with almost anything.  Fight me.

I usually wear a button up Brooks Bros shirt, Tecovas jeans (fight me), boots with a sports coat or vest. 

I only wear my hats, silver belly, black, and straw, at Rodeo stuff. I don’t own a ranch or cattle or even drive a truck. I’m just a city slicker that likes the boots and jeans look better than slacks and dress shoes. 

On 5/27/2020 at 10:52 AM, Steel Shank said:

I posted this back in November. I agree about the metrosexual fashion boys just all over these boots. That just confirms I won't be buying any. 

signed,

Cranky Old Dude That Doesn't Have A Beard

I look at it this way.

Are they well made?                                 Do they look good?                                     Are they a good value?                                Do they fit good?

If all the boxes get checked, I'm buying them.  I'm too damned old to start worrying about who's wearing them, or what group is/isn't cool.  Didn't do it when I was younger and won't start now.

WTF happened with this formatting mess?

Edited by SHOOTER12

On 6/15/2020 at 2:45 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

I question if Cuero is a functional company at this point. They've been sold out of everything since March. Three months is a long time to go without any profits. 

They are owned by RTIC coolers so I would assume they are just floating some time for covid to pass but who knows. 

For those in Houston: Cuero is currently selling their final inventory (exchanges,returns, etc) for $50/pair while supplies last. They still had quite a bit of inventory left when I stopped by at 3pm today. The sale continues Thurs-Saturday from 10am-4pm @ 20220 Hempstead Rd. Suite 34, Houston, TX 77065

f30cb3ec0d0457a5fce8c05b5e6b6599.jpg

86117d08867dc1cf37dd457d21c1590d.jpg

Edited by Snowy

On 6/15/2020 at 1:45 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

I question if Cuero is a functional company at this point. They've been sold out of everything since March. Three months is a long time to go without any profits. 

FWIW I asked the guy working at Cuero warehouse today if they were adding any exotics to the 2020 collection or restocking the website soon... He said the 2020 inventory would go live in ~2 months with some new color options and square toe added, but no exotics until maybe 2021. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Snowy said:

For those in Houston: Cuero is currently selling their final inventory (exchanges,returns, etc) for $50/pair while supplies last. They still had quite a bit of inventory left when I stopped by at 3pm today. The sale continues Thurs-Saturday from 10am-4pm @ 20220 Hempstead Rd. Suite 34, Houston, TX 77065

f30cb3ec0d0457a5fce8c05b5e6b6599.jpg

86117d08867dc1cf37dd457d21c1590d.jpg

What’s left? Specifically the honey suede western boots in a 10D.

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

What’s left? Specifically the honey suede western boots in a 10D.

For most sizes, I would say everything but the Honey Suede. I only paid attention to 11-12D/EE.  They only had a few pairs of the honey sitting on a rack near entrance. The rest of boots are all just thrown in a big cardboard box according to size. I didnt see any empty boxes, just a few with only light gray suede to choose from, but those were mostly EE widths (11ee for sure). I might swing by again tomorrow and scoop a pair of black boots just because they are $50. I will take a couple pics if so. 

13 minutes ago, Snowy said:

For most sizes, I would say everything but the Honey Suede. I only paid attention to 11-12D/EE.  They only had a few pairs of the honey sitting on a rack near entrance. The rest of boots are all just thrown in a big cardboard box according to size. I didnt see any empty boxes, just a few with only light gray suede to choose from, but those were mostly EE widths (11ee for sure). I might swing by again tomorrow and scoop a pair of black boots just because they are $50. I will take a couple pics if so. 

Thanks. 

On 6/19/2020 at 8:47 PM, TexasEd said:

I'll have to look for that.

What I really want (but have not justified) are a pair of Lucchese Horned Caiman in a snip toe

im getting another pair soon. if you do their online consulting they're offering a discount 

22 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

im getting another pair soon. if you do their online consulting they're offering a discount 

Lucchese?

These are the ones I want, Franklin model. They are $50 off the direct price if you go to Boot Barn/Shepplers

image.png.cf57ada30c1f94bf682bad4c3ebd4381.png

Edited by TexasEd

So after buying a pair of boots I started digging into the company since I am in sales. I just put a bid on 24 truckloads of boots coming out of Leon, MX going to Houston, Laredo and San Antonio. They are looking for them to be picked up before the end of August. 

I would assume that means the website will be restocked end of July with a (3-4 week shipping disclaimer)

I see the storefront in Houston, and Laredo would be the crossdock/passthrough but I don't get why they need 2 full truckloads to San Antonio. I see Tecovas has a store in San Antonio but nothing for Cuero? Any ideas? 

1 hour ago, Juicy said:

So after buying a pair of boots I started digging into the company since I am in sales. I just put a bid on 24 truckloads of boots coming out of Leon, MX going to Houston, Laredo and San Antonio. They are looking for them to be picked up before the end of August. 

I would assume that means the website will be restocked end of July with a (3-4 week shipping disclaimer)

I see the storefront in Houston, and Laredo would be the crossdock/passthrough but I don't get why they need 2 full truckloads to San Antonio. I see Tecovas has a store in San Antonio but nothing for Cuero? Any ideas? 

To my knowledge Cuero doesn't have a physical store front anywhere. Their parent company RTIC does a store front out in Cypress where you can buy coolers. The physical sale of Cuero boots was in a storage unit behind RTIC with a bunch of open boxes and a guy with a Square register

• Like 2

On 6/21/2020 at 11:29 AM, billfromlaketravis said:

Tecovas is bringing back their Python boots for 24 hours this week. I’m not a fan. Strange pattern, it looks like they printed them on a 3D printer. 

Snakeskin boots are so all over the place.  I've owned 3 pairs in my life and that's low for how much I like them.  It's just that on so many of them the pattern looks like ass, or they're some screwed up shade of yellow.  Whoa snakeskin cowboy here.

2 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Snakeskin boots are so all over the place.  I've owned 3 pairs in my life and that's low for how much I like them.  It's just that on so many of them the pattern looks like ass, or they're some screwed up shade of yellow.  Whoa snakeskin cowboy here.

Dan Post makes a sharp looking dark brown snakeskin boot. Really comfortable too. I will say the scales scoff very easily, so not the most durable boots. 

6 hours ago, Juicy said:

Please don’t take my word for anything. Please research it thoroughly,  especially if you’re investing, but logically Cuero would use Lareo as a land port/port of entry. Then store the boots in a warehouse in Laredo and ship from there. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Please don’t take my word for anything. Please research it thoroughly,  especially if you’re investing, but logically Cuero would use Lareo as a land port/port of entry. Then store the boots in a warehouse in Laredo and ship from there. 

The only investing in the boots I am doing are the ones I will be putting on my feet, just trying to get the freight from RTIC

The new Tecovas Python are a big improvement over the originals, but still not for me. Link:  https://www.tecovas.com/products/the-brady?utm_campaign=brady-early-access&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=insiders&utm_term=&utm_content=&fbclid=IwAR0mVw7xrlyK43JBY2FKCpNeLoAwfhYRKystXAdp7HnXOmoTy_yXdwqUcow

I guarantee they'll sell out, because Tecovas hipsters. 

Check this out. Cleaning out the residence of my recently deceased father-in-law. He was a panhandle DA that was in place for a long time and had a reputation of putting people away. Anyway, he was the larger-than-life type of lawyer that would have worn boots with his suit daily. So I am going through his closet and come across boxes and boxes of boots. He was a bigger guy than me so I wasn't able to pinch any but one pair of lizards. 

Anyway, scope these. Not sure of the story, but I have looked and I can't find anything about Tony Lama ever mass producing a Texas Ranger branded boot. He had all kinds of "swag" around including some stuff from a governor or two. But these boots interest me most. Wife was going to put them in a garage sale this weekend, but I held them back. 

trb.JPG

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, squib said:

Check this out. Cleaning out the residence of my recently deceased father-in-law. He was a panhandle DA that was in place for a long time and had a reputation of putting people away. Anyway, he was the larger-than-life type of lawyer that would have worn boots with his suit daily. So I am going through his closet and come across boxes and boxes of boots. He was a bigger guy than me so I wasn't able to pinch any but one pair of lizards. 

Anyway, scope these. Not sure of the story, but I have looked and I can't find anything about Tony Lama ever mass producing a Texas Ranger branded boot. He had all kinds of "swag" around including some stuff from a governor or two. But these boots interest me most. Wife was going to put them in a garage sale this weekend, but I held them back. 

trb.JPG

What size?  I bet you could sell all those boots out amongst your Surly brethren in an hour or two. 

11 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

What size?  I bet you could sell all those boots out amongst your Surly brethren in an hour or two. 

These are 10.5

Most seem to be 11

I may offer up a few pair. Gonna hold back a few pair for his grandsons. For the others--I'd be glad to know they are being worn by you assholes. 

Well fellers, let's just say that a big box in the closet revealed more than I had previously outlined. Nephews have picked through. The remaining treasures will be posted here when I get time and a few beers in me. The only teaser I will provide is that the Texas Ranger boots posted above are no longer the prize of the stash. 8 pairs to go--some even have the cow shit still on the soles so you city slicker types can own at least one set of manly footwear that has been off the sidewalk. 

Here is the only pair that fit me. I am plenty happy to add them to my collection. Tony Lama lizard. 

IMG_6707.jpg

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

If price isnt an issue, who is the best bootmaker on the planet?

It depends on how you are going to judge "best." Overall craftsmanship, comfort, etc. I have boots from lots of store brands and some customs as well. For damn sure, my most comfortable boots are not the ones I paid the most money for. And the ones I have that are the biggest eye catchers are not the most expensive and are likely my least comfortable. 

I wear boots at least three days a week and then usually anytime I work outside or go out to eat, etc. with my wife. My #1 criteria is how comfortable they are. Lucchese ostrich is that boot for me right now.  But comfort to me also has to do with design. I don't like a tall cowboy or riding heel. I feel as if they clop too much and I don't like trying to balance on the smaller pad. Walking heel suits me as well as some of the shallower flat heels. I am the first to admit that I am not horseback often anymore though. Those cowboy/riding heels sit well in a stirrup, but I am not buying boots with a feature that is nice twice a year.

To me, heel is the primary concern (after overall fit of course). Then it comes down to choice of hide--softer hides are more comfortable to me--ostrich may be my favorite by good calf is hard to beat as well. My best looking pair of boots is likely a pair of Tony Lama caimans but damn they are stiff. I love the way they look, but I can't wear them from dawn to dusk. 

Anyway, all that to say I would rather own a pair of "mediocre" boots with the right heel and hide than an expensive pair that show out but I dread to slip on. 

• Like 1