Cowboy Boots

Silky Johnston

On 10/30/2020 at 7:31 AM, Juicy said:

For those looking the cheaper route Cuero has their new lineup in stock. Price online is 76.50 which seems insane to me. But ill grab another pair or two as they have added some colors. 

Looks like the old colors are all still out of stock but the new square toe and the new colors are all incredibly cheap. 

UPDATE: It appears something is still up with the website as you can't actually buy the boots. There is an error when selecting the shipping method. 

$76.50 for boots was too good to be true

In

edit: Out. No suede and weird sizes. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

As noted by NoName and a couple of others, Cuero will have new boots on November 15th. They just messaged me and said "We are glad to announce that we are launching our new collection on November 15!" Ladies boots will be available after the new year.  Don't forget to add it to your cart and wait a couple of days. They will send you a discount for the boots in your cart. I own many pairs of boots from multiple companies and the Cuero boots are easily the most comfortable to me. I will gladly buy another pair.

Side note about some Wolverine boots I own. I have a pair of waterproof rancher boots from them for nearly two years now that have been great. A couple of weeks ago the liner came loose from the left boot and I struggled to get my foot out. No problem, I'll just glue them back and go about my day. Before I glued them, I thought I would chat with Wolverine to see if they had a glue or something they recommend to fix it. The girl on the Facebook chat (on a Sunday) was very nice and told me to fill out a warranty claim. I explained the boots were almost 2 years old and passed the 1 year warranty. She said to fill it out anyway and they would look at it. 2 hours later they email me and apologize for the issue with my boot and tell me to select 3 styles of boots that I would be willing to accept as a replacement. I was completely surprised by this and sent in my choices. An hour later another email comes in and tells me that they are sending me one of the models I selected at no cost and apologized again for the issue I had with my boot. 4 days later my new boots arrived. Incredible customer service from them.

tldr: problem with old Wolverine boot, got new pair for free just for reaching out.

• Hook 'Em 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/16/2020 at 9:16 AM, billfromlaketravis said:

While I’m sure everything is above board at Tecovas, the pattern/texture of their python boots looks fake. Like a geometric design. 

I wish they’d come out with a work boot. 

You, sir, are in luck.

https://www.tecovas.com/pages/introducing-ranch

Edited by Art Vandelay
  • Like 1

I'm pretty sure that at this point Tecovas have become the hipster boot of choice. While they seem to have a better finish than many other boots in their price range, I'm don't think the quality is all there to justify the price. I know one of the guys from Tecovas used to make appearances on the shag. Well, if you are here, send me a pair or really just a mismatched single) of your boots to fully evaluate. I'll fully dissect it and give an honest evaluation of the construction and the overall quality.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I'm pretty sure that at this point Tecovas have become the hipster boot of choice. While they seem to have a better finish than many other boots in their price range, I'm don't think the quality is all there to justify the price. I know one of the guys from Tecovas used to make appearances on the shag. Well, if you are here, send me a pair or really just a mismatched single) of your boots to fully evaluate. I'll fully dissect it and give an honest evaluation of the construction and the overall quality.

doesn't look like he came over w/ the same username...

http://www.shaggytexas.com/board/showthread.php/153426-Western-Boots?p=10252462&viewfull=1#post10252462

i have an old pair that i got at their warehouse sale that had issues with the shank - literally squeak so much that I can't wear them and the boot guy I had in East Texas put a bunch of nails into it to try to fix it. they would have been covered under warranty but bc they were from warehouse sale and came w/ no warranty i am stuck with them...at least they tried to tell me what to tell the boot guy on how to maybe fix them.

if you want them i can send them over, but again they are probably 2-3 years old - from their first warehouse sale w/ Texas Humor, etc

Edited by NoName

47 minutes ago, NoName said:

doesn't look like he came over w/ the same username...

http://www.shaggytexas.com/board/showthread.php/153426-Western-Boots?p=10252462&viewfull=1#post10252462

i have an old pair that i got at their warehouse sale that had issues with the shank - literally squeak so much that I can't wear them and the boot guy I had in East Texas put a bunch of nails into it to try to fix it. they would have been covered under warranty but bc they were from warehouse sale and came w/ no warranty i am stuck with them...at least they tried to tell me what to tell the boot guy on how to maybe fix them.

if you want them i can send them over, but again they are probably 2-3 years old - from their first warehouse sale w/ Texas Humor, etc

I don't imagine the construction has changed all that much in the last 2 or 3 years. If anything, they have likely taken more shortcuts since then. What part of Texas are you in? I'm in the middle of moving and don't exactly have a ton of space right now, but if you are close by I could probably find some time to deconstruct them.

2 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I don't imagine the construction has changed all that much in the last 2 or 3 years. If anything, they have likely taken more shortcuts since then. What part of Texas are you in? I'm in the middle of moving and don't exactly have a ton of space right now, but if you are close by I could probably find some time to deconstruct them.

Hill Country - shoot me a PM?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Elvis boot show coming up! Starting with my dad’s old pythons that I had restored.  

A little back story....

My dad had a western wear store back in the 80’s, so we were always wearing fresh duds.  I even made the paper as a 6yo runway model. (I still have the newspaper clipping)

Anyway, my dad was a smaller fella than I grew up to be; 5’8” and wore a 7.5 size boot.  And he had a helluva lot of exotics.  I wore that size in sixth and seventh grades, which was cool.  Now, my 5’7” wife Priscilla fits these boots!

So dad’s in a retirement home now and let me and my brother take his boots for wearing, or nostalgia, or whatever.

I got these dusty old brittle snake skins cleaned up and gave them to wifey for Christmas.  Check it out....

More to follow  

7D9982A3-75C5-47F8-A284-28AD8096CFB7.jpeg

008F0020-E755-4973-A67B-F1BD96DC25CE.jpeg

D74987B1-57AB-47FA-9A8D-AA8380A50BC5.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Well these old rodeo boots, well I think my dad out rodeoed them (he’s in the West Texas Hall of Fame).  This is as good as they could clean up an old yella ostrich.  

They’re all curled up and gnarly.  I was thinking about having them resoled to stretch out the kinks so Priscilla could wear them. Probably die them darker too. Anyone know a boot maker qualified for that?

30075A79-1D40-4BB8-B3F6-68CD007FEE1B.thumb.jpeg.5ec7799648a9e03493d74459371d1059.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Steel Shank said:

Get your damn boots off the kitchen counter!!!

Oh, and that's really cool that they fir the wife. I'm hoping my son will be able to wear mine someday. Or his wife if she wears a 11.5D.

Ha! That’s what she said!

(they were all fresh and clean from the shop)

Also 11.5 D or E if I can find them. 

On 12/8/2020 at 9:48 AM, Red Five said:

25 here.

I had a pair that my Dad bought at a garage sale and I appropriated.  They were a little big for me, but old enough that the cork/rubber sole was flexy and the leather was butter-soft.  I gave them back to my Dad and I think he gave them to goodwill eventually, as he never was a big fan of pull-ons.

I wish I hadn't let them go.  They'd probably be about 40 now.

Just a boot sidenote.  I'm reading A River Runs Through It, which is a collection of autobiographical short stories.  The author spent summers during the 20s in the US Forestry Service as a logger, firewatcher, and firefighter.  In the stories, there's reference to logger's boots, and specifically to White's Boots.

Somewhere along the line, I had heard of White's Boots and this is their classic logger boot, which they have been making variants of since just after the Civil War:

102669_ts.jpg

This is actually their "smokejumper" boot, that omits the calks/spikes that the regular loggers have.

I thought it was interesting that they share the same high arch and tall, underslung heel as western boots.

There's also the "packer," which I think is a derivative of the western boot for walking/riding in connection with a mule train.

690-c.jpg

I guess these are sort of regional variants of the western boot, where the region is more heavily wooded than the western and southwestern plains.  There are a number of makers of these types of boots in the PNW.  Danner started out supplying this type of boot to PNW loggers and foresters.

• 4 weeks later...

Tecovas calls the Bandera "weatherproof". Here's a link to the boot: https://www.tecovas.com/products/the-bandera

I called Tecovas and asked them a few questions about wearing them in standing water/mud, namely is my foot going to stay dry? The rep read me the company line, they should. What do y'all think? 

47 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Tecovas calls the Bandera "weatherproof". Here's a link to the boot: https://www.tecovas.com/products/the-bandera

I called Tecovas and asked them a few questions about wearing them in standing water/mud, namely is my foot going to stay dry? The rep read me the company line, they should. What do y'all think? 

That's a pretty tall order for a leather boot.  If you really stand around in deep mud or water, I'd think a muck boot or something similar would be a better idea.

Even if they manage to keep your feet dry, for a while, complete soakings and with muddy water/mud would be really hard on the leather.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

That's a pretty tall order for a leather boot.  If you really stand around in deep mud or water, I'd think a muck boot or something similar would be a better idea.

Even if they manage to keep your feet dry, for a while, complete soakings and with muddy water/mud would be really hard on the leather.

Gracias. Yeah I keep some rubber boots in the car. It rains a lot in Houston. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

7 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Gracias. Yeah I keep some rubber boots in the car. It rains a lot in Houston. 

There's certainly some value in a leather boot that looks decent and you can kick rocks with and get muddy and wet from time to time over a rubber boot.  You wouldn't want to do that with regular cowhide or calfskin boots with leather soles, for sure.

7 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

There's certainly some value in a leather boot that looks decent and you can kick rocks with and get muddy and wet from time to time over a rubber boot.  You wouldn't want to do that with regular cowhide or calfskin boots with leather soles, for sure.

Sounds like you’re describing Red Wings. I’ve got to get me a new pair when I get back to the states. My current ones are finally falling apart after about 6 years of near daily use in the oilfields.  

I bought a pair of Irish Setters out of the Redwing store awhile back.  They stay surprisingly dry.  We've been doing some stream restoration work and they've been really really good so far.  Priced in same range as Redwings, bought at Redwing store.  Instantly comfortable.  Obviously it'll take a few years for a full review, but so far I have been happy with the purchase. 

iirc, this is them. If not, very very close.

https://www.irishsetterboots.com/work-boots/safety-toe-boots/marshall-83910.html?cgid=work-safety-toe-boots

On 1/12/2021 at 9:44 PM, TwiceHorn said:

Just a boot sidenote.  I'm reading A River Runs Through It, which is a collection of autobiographical short stories.  The author spent summers during the 20s in the US Forestry Service as a logger, firewatcher, and firefighter.  In the stories, there's reference to logger's boots, and specifically to White's Boots.

Somewhere along the line, I had heard of White's Boots and this is their classic logger boot, which they have been making variants of since just after the Civil War:

102669_ts.jpg

This is actually their "smokejumper" boot, that omits the calks/spikes that the regular loggers have.

29 minutes ago, JerrysJheriCurl said:

I only wear Lucchese. That’s just how I roll. May fly to El Paso soon, as I need a pair caiman, alligator or crocodiles. 
Get some L&J Cafe afterward or a double at Chico’s tacos. 

do you only buy them in person in El Paso or are there (much better) deals to be had in person there?

6 hours ago, JerrysJheriCurl said:

Yes sir. Much better. A couple of years ago, paid $250 for a pair of black lizards that were regular $600.
It’s the factory outlet. 

well, that's a game changer. i go through the greater El Paso area maybe once a year and will be making a detour next time there.

thanks

On 1/12/2021 at 6:21 PM, Elvis said:

Well these old rodeo boots, well I think my dad out rodeoed them (he’s in the West Texas Hall of Fame).  This is as good as they could clean up an old yella ostrich.  

They’re all curled up and gnarly.  I was thinking about having them resoled to stretch out the kinks so Priscilla could wear them. Probably die them darker too. Anyone know a boot maker qualified for that?

30075A79-1D40-4BB8-B3F6-68CD007FEE1B.thumb.jpeg.5ec7799648a9e03493d74459371d1059.jpeg

Turns out my 11 year old son can wear them.  He's helping me build a fence!

IMG_7737.JPG

• Like 1

On 11/25/2020 at 8:24 AM, Masshole Horn said:

Tecovas definitely is hipster boots. I lurk on the cowboy boot subreddit, and it's 90% fan boys wondering if there are skinny jeans that look good with their limited edition Tecovas.

Took a look at their website for about 30 seconds and could have told you that.

37 minutes ago, joe dirt said:

never owned a pair boots in my life. after trudging through snow for a week, i’ve realized i need some damn waterproof/resistant work boots.

don’t know shit about boots, so give me all your recommendations...go!

You don't want a traditional western boot for trudging through snow.  It can do it, but will require extra care and won't be as warm or water-resistant as other boots.

You'd be better off probably with a lace up work or hunting or hiking boot.  Maybe even a rubber boot.

If you're going to wear them a couple of times a year, no point in spending much money.  There are decent options at most price points, the difference being how long they last.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

never owned a pair boots in my life. after trudging through snow for a week, i’ve realized i need some damn waterproof/resistant work boots.
don’t know shit about boots, so give me all your recommendations...go!

Options abound, but as TwiceHorn noted traditional western/cowboy boots aren’t really all weather work boots.

If your somewhere south of Lubbock going with a true insulated Columbia, LL Bean, Schnee’s snow boot is way overkill except once every 5years and you’re going to look like a fresh out of the Rockies transplant.

A true Texas waterproof rain/mud boot for chores is going to range from $20 white shrimp boots to Muck boots to Tingley steel toes (choice of roughnecks for years)

I think what your really looking for is the Tecovas Bandera posted up thread or the American standard Red-Wing/Irish Setter in lace up or pull-on in dozens of styles. Not really waterproof, but weather proof workhorse. Good enough for chores, work (if you get steel toes), or hiking in all but the worst conditions you’re going to see in Texas.
  • Hook 'Em 3