Cowboy Boots

Silky Johnston

14 hours ago, Lat22 said:

I just wear fancier looking work boots when I need to "hit the town".  If I'm flying, I make sure to wear the composite toe instead of the steel toe.  I'm over the rock hard leather soles.  Of course, my days of turning laps at Midnight Rodeo are in my rear view.  And 100% square toe.

the ultimate weekend was catching emilio at far west and hitting midnight rodeo the opposite night. the best of both worlds. squeeze in 18 at Cedar Creek in between. then back to kingsville on Sunday, go grind away in Dotterweich, we had home work due Monday 

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 1

my entire adult life i've been taking care of my boots the same way i take care of my baseball gloves - wipe dirt off with a damp cloth and let dry, apply bick 4 and let dry, then apply vaseline and buff.  what do you guys do?  would you recommend something other than vaseline for the final polish stage?  i usually deep clean and polish about twice a year before overseas trips.  the rest of the time i'm usually in my office.

Don’t stop.

On 4/4/2021 at 12:01 AM, gsoda3 said:

my entire adult life i've been taking care of my boots the same way i take care of my baseball gloves - wipe dirt off with a damp cloth and let dry, apply bick 4 and let dry, then apply vaseline and buff.  what do you guys do?  would you recommend something other than vaseline for the final polish stage?  i usually deep clean and polish about twice a year before overseas trips.  the rest of the time i'm usually in my office.

Bick 5 might help you skip a couple steps. 

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

As good as any. Not a boot you'd plan on getting rebuilt, but the ones I've looked at seem fine for a knock around pair.

how do you decide which ones are good enough to be rebuilt?

Method of construction would be the first thing to look at. For a pair of boots that can be rebuilt (not just a half sole, but the whole sole stripped off and a new sole and heel stack done up) you want something that is traditionally welted, not something that has a shoe board insole with gemmed welting glued and then stitched down

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, BearSchlong said:

My ex wife bought our 23 yr old son a pair of custom made cherry alligator Luchesse's. I am so jealous. They are the prettiest boots I've ever seen. I told him congrats, thats like having a Lamborghini as your first car.

She's ruined him, for sure.  That said, I'm perfectly happy with my Dan Post calf skins that I've owned for 30+ years and have had re-soled twice.

Edited by DalTxHornFan

On 6/12/2021 at 7:32 PM, BearSchlong said:

Me too, thats my speed.

On 6/12/2021 at 7:12 PM, DalTxHornFan said:

She's ruined him, for sure.  That said, I'm perfectly happy with my Dan Post calf skins that I've owned for 30+ years and have had re-soled twice.

Why not both?

My father in law is a farmer/rancher in the Permian Basin. Family farm going back to the 1930s. When he gets gussed up he wears Anderson Beans. Red Wings when he’s working.
They’re not for me, but people that make their living from land wear this stuff. 

I just checked out the AB website.

Props to them for making the worlds worst lineup of boots. Damn their shit is ugly.

1 minute ago, Handcruser said:

I just checked out the AB website.

Props to them for making the worlds worst lineup of boots. Damn their shit is ugly.

For whatever reason, "working cowboy" boots, if not Red Wings (I think those that actually ride eschew Red Wings), have tended to be pretty loud (red, green, blue tops, pretty bright).  You could see that on working ranches and in the pens at a rodeo or state fair going back decades.  AB carries that trend forward.

As a non-cowboy, I (and those I knew) tended to wear dressier boots, brown, black, tan, black cherry, exotics, mostly subtle stitching on the tops.  If things were going to get "radical," it was in top stitching.

After law school, I moved to Fort Worth.  And there I encountered lots of very loud "Garth Brooks" shirts, and the trend back then (90s) was the Lacer Ropers.  These guys were not cowboys either, but doing their damnedest to try to emulate some image of a cowboy.  Very "drugstore cowboy."  A couple of us more conservative boot wearers used to joke that the "northside cowboys" would wear fucking elf shoes if Justin came out with them and promoted them.

Right, wrong, or indifferent, I tend to associate the loud boots, and square toes, with a "trend" in western wear, like the Garth Brooks shirts and lacer ropers.  

3 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Right, wrong, or indifferent, I tend to associate the loud boots, and square toes, with a "trend" in western wear, like the Garth Brooks shirts and lacer ropers

This has been covered a dozen times here, but since they’ve been readily available, square toe has been extremely popular with working cowboys. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 6/19/2021 at 11:56 AM, fattyflattie said:

This has been covered a dozen times here, but since they’ve been readily available, square toe has been extremely popular with working cowboys. 

Doesn't mean it's not a trend.  Lacer ropers are a variant of packers that far western "cowboys" have worn for a century.  I don't know that the lacer ropers ever caught on amongst the working types.  They were still goofy as fuck and went away.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Doesn't mean it's not a trend. 

Yeah I don’t disagree, it can obviously still be a trend. But it’s a trend of imitating work wear.  Where as a Garth Brooks shirt or Tim McGraw black straw hat are trends geared towards being a goat roper. 

16 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Yeah I don’t disagree, it can obviously still be a trend. But it’s a trend of imitating work wear.  Where as a Garth Brooks shirt or Tim McGraw black straw hat are trends geared towards being a goat roper. 

I no longer oppose square toes on any general basis.  They're just not for me, I don't believe.  And I am more than a little annoyed that square toes have almost completely supplanted round toes in available boots, see Anderson Bean.

I can totally get that they are more comfortable than narrower toes, particularly when the boots don't fit as well as they should.

But I would think that working cowboys, who often spend a lot of money on custom or semi-custom boots, would want that really right fit, because the arch and foot support is so fantastic.  I don't know if square toes are as well-suited to stirrups and riding as narrower toed boots.  I think it's accurate to say that working cowboys have favored broader toes, period, so I tend to think not.

Edited by TwiceHorn

15 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I don't know if square toes are as well-suited to stirrups and riding as narrower toed boots. 

I’ve never really noticed a difference in any thing from my roach killers to my square toes to my sperrys.   The only thing I don’t like riding in is my work boots (square steel toe).  Those don’t fit worth a shit. 

On 5/7/2019 at 8:42 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

It’s no big deal, but some of the piping came loose on my Tecovas Cartwrights after only 3-4 wears. My cobbler is fixing it for 7 bucks, but still the boots shouldn’t do that after such light use. 

was browsing old posts and saw this, who is your cobbler??

On 6/19/2021 at 8:00 AM, TwiceHorn said:

For whatever reason, "working cowboy" boots, if not Red Wings (I think those that actually ride eschew Red Wings), have tended to be pretty loud (red, green, blue tops, pretty bright).  You could see that on working ranches and in the pens at a rodeo or state fair going back decades.  AB carries that trend forward.

As a non-cowboy, I (and those I knew) tended to wear dressier boots, brown, black, tan, black cherry, exotics, mostly subtle stitching on the tops.  If things were going to get "radical," it was in top stitching.

After law school, I moved to Fort Worth.  And there I encountered lots of very loud "Garth Brooks" shirts, and the trend back then (90s) was the Lacer Ropers.  These guys were not cowboys either, but doing their damnedest to try to emulate some image of a cowboy.  Very "drugstore cowboy."  A couple of us more conservative boot wearers used to joke that the "northside cowboys" would wear fucking elf shoes if Justin came out with them and promoted them.

Right, wrong, or indifferent, I tend to associate the loud boots, and square toes, with a "trend" in western wear, like the Garth Brooks shirts and lacer ropers.  

Fight me!!

73D8B491-E5A3-41F9-AA6F-BA766C84DD4D.jpeg

• Like 3