Cowboy Boots

Silky Johnston

13 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Nothing wrong with Cowboy Cuts.  They wear like fucking iron.  I've never bought anything but rigid before.

They have so many gotdam varieties now, there's probably something that fits.

I like the fit of more modern jeans. Something with flexibility. I mentioned them upthread, but I like the Wrangler 5 Star Performance jeans. They look fine, you can move in them, and if you put a hole in them, who cares? They cost $26. 

I'll probably get flamed for my Tecovas fanboy love, but I really like their jeans. Excellent quality denim in my opinion. That said, they are not priced well. I'm glad I picked up a couple pairs at the warehouse sale for $50 each. 

@billfromlaketravis, If you were heading over to an evening at The Spoke, what would you wear? Post a pic. I'm curious. Maybe we should all do this just see what the different styles are. Just lay out the clothes with the boots and take a pic.

@TwiceHorn You ain't lying about there being a shitload of choices in Wranglers. I have to ask for help when I'm looking for something.

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Steel Shank said:

@billfromlaketravis, If you were heading over to an evening at The Spoke, what would you wear? Post a pic. I'm curious. Maybe we should all do this just see what the different styles are. Just lay out the clothes with the boots and take a pic.

@TwiceHorn You ain't lying about there being a shitload of choices in Wranglers. I have to ask for help when I'm looking for something.

@ me. 

682A64D3-A75F-43E6-AD29-3F829EF0B83C.thumb.jpeg.bca64d7fa6788c2ee0558f181c98404d.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

Question on boot fit and how they break in.. 
I tend to vary in shoes by a half size depending on the brand. 

I tried on some Tecova ostrich ropers in both sizes. 
The larger size felt perfect in the toes, very comfy, but my heel was basically free-floating when I walked. 
The smaller size I still get some heel slippage, an inch or so, but the my toes are very tight - to the point that it's not very comfortable. 

I ended up picking up the smaller size thinking the leather would stretch as they broke in, but now I'm questioning that and thinking of returning for the half size up. I'm reading that as the sole breaks in the heel slippage will mostly stop. But the larger size had a LOT of slippage.. 

Can anyone comment on how they will break in? 

Or possible that Tecovas just aren't cut right for my foot and I should look at a different brand?

Thanks

On 3/17/2021 at 9:05 AM, TwiceHorn said:

Nothing wrong with Cowboy Cuts.  They wear like fucking iron.  I've never bought anything but rigid before.

They have so many gotdam varieties now, there's probably something that fits.

https://www.cavenders.com/wrangler-mens-cowboy-cut-prewashed-indigo-original-fit-straight-leg-jeans/13MWZPW1.html

These are the best most flexible work jean that can stand rugged environments I've purchased.

11 hours ago, BillyBadAss said:

Or possible that Tecovas just aren't cut right for my foot and I should look at a different brand?

This is my experience, Tecovas just don't fit me that well. Check out Allen's house brand... similarly priced and constructed. Fit me much better.

Edited by Masshole Horn

20 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Tecovas not fitting right seems to be a trend on here. 

It took me a solid 6 weeks to break in the Banderas. 

lol the youg'n trying to sell me Tecovas suggested I buy them big and just wear 2 pair of socks.  That's not how it works.

Those Dan Post ostrich boots a page back are so comfortable I want to wear them all the time.

Anyone check out the new-ish JRC and Sons (Cavenders brand)?  

Look similarly priced to Tecova and also made in Leon, MX. I would guess they are similar in quality?

https://www.texasmonthly.com/promotion/new-brand-with-an-old-soul/

Those goat ropers not looking bad at $240..  

https://www.cavenders.com/mens-western-boots/?prefn1=brand&prefv1=JRC %26 Sons

3 hours ago, BillyBadAss said:

Look similarly priced to Tecova and also made in Leon, MX. I would guess they are similar in quality?

Do they ever go on sale? I’ve been sitting on a cheap pair of suede boots for going on 18 months now. 

lol the youg'n trying to sell me Tecovas suggested I buy them big and just wear 2 pair of socks.  That's not how it works.
Those Dan Post ostrich boots a page back are so comfortable I want to wear them all the time.

Disappointing but not surprising. I was 19 when I got in to the bidniss. I worked on straight commission. No hourly. No draw. No guarantee of a single cent. I learned from men that really knew what they were talking about.

At 24 I was a 3-time member of the million dollar club and the only salesperson in a chain of almost 60 stores to win the Justin, Arita, and Rocky boot sales contest all in the same year. That was accomplished by making the customer happy.

I saw a lot of coworkers come and go, and none of them could understand why every person that came through our door wanted to see me or Steve. No joke if Steve or myself was off they would about-face and exit the store. It was because we were good at what we did. Never sold someone something they didn’t need, and never tried to talk someone in to something they didn’t want. To hear a salesperson suggest a thicker sock or an insole to make a boot fit better would literally make my skin crawl.
  • Hook 'Em 2

I returned the Tecovas since the fit didn't seem right. They really do make some nice looking boots - I'd have been happy with them if the sizes worked out better. 

I went and checked out the JRC and Sons boots and some others at Cavenders. They weren't bad, but definitely appeared a bit cheaper. 

Some Lucchesse 1883 FQOs fit the bit, but weren't any nicer looking than Tecovas and cost neatly $200 more. Fit was pretty good though. 

I'm basically just looking for some decent boots in a roper style with traditional toe for regular wear. I like FQO's since they are soft. Could go with a plain leather as well if I found the right boot. I'd prefer not spend a fortune, but could go a bit higher if the quality is truly better. 

I looked at the ABs, Rios, and Olathe online that TwiceHorn suggested. Not many options that didn't seem audacious or have square toes - I guess that's what the "real" cowboys wear these days.. 

Would love to hear suggestions on brands worth looking at and stores in or around Austin that have selection worth to check out. 

24 minutes ago, BillyBadAss said:

I returned the Tecovas since the fit didn't seem right. They really do make some nice looking boots - I'd have been happy with them if the sizes worked out better. 

I went and checked out the JRC and Sons boots and some others at Cavenders. They weren't bad, but definitely appeared a bit cheaper. 

Some Lucchesse 1883 FQOs fit the bit, but weren't any nicer looking than Tecovas and cost neatly $200 more. Fit was pretty good though. 

I'm basically just looking for some decent boots in a roper style with traditional toe for regular wear. I like FQO's since they are soft. Could go with a plain leather as well if I found the right boot. I'd prefer not spend a fortune, but could go a bit higher if the quality is truly better. 

I looked at the ABs, Rios, and Olathe online that TwiceHorn suggested. Not many options that didn't seem audacious or have square toes - I guess that's what the "real" cowboys wear these days.. 

Would love to hear suggestions on brands worth looking at and stores in or around Austin that have selection worth to check out. 

I think you answered your own question. Just buy the Luccheses. A boot has to fit. They’re still much cheaper than a custom pair. 

11 hours ago, BillyBadAss said:

Allen's boots has decent store brand hechos.

It can be a regional thing as well. Square toe boots are much more popular in West Texas than round toe boots from what I've seen. And even then, those are really for going out. Most of the fellas out there wear Red Wing work boots or the lace ups most of the time. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

Now i'm collecting exotics in round toe, but a few years back I did buy a pair of square toed garden variety brown leather Ariats and i still wear them sometimes because they are super comfortable - but they do have a work boot vibe.  Not hating, though.

For some reason they always remind me of this.

WraSn0.gif

Edited by BearSchlong
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, BillyBadAss said:

It's fascinating that all of these bargain, yet quality, boots have corded shafts.  That used to be a pretty rare thing, mostly confined to Lucchese dress boots.

It must be considerably cheaper to cord a shaft than to stitch it with even just a couple of rows. I guess that makes sense and cheap, machine-done cording probably looks better than cheap, machine-done stitching.

1 hour ago, BearSchlong said:

I just don't understand the square toe thing.

Comfort.  I mean it's obviously a trend/style thing too, but that is in the eye of the beholder.  Easing those piggies out a bit is just more comfortable, for me.  And it went into style (again) during my formative years so that's the way I've gone since I was 19 or so.  Of course I have plenty of other toes, but day to day, square for me. 

If I were to travel to West Texas regularly for work, I would buy a pair of square toes to blend in. You stick out like a sore thumb out there with clean round toe boots. 

Don’t even get started on how they wear their jeans. Old man, George Strait style, with more folds than a Hereford’s neck. 

On 3/24/2021 at 6:11 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

If I were to travel to West Texas regularly for work, I would buy a pair of square toes to blend in. You stick out like a sore thumb out there with clean round toe boots. 

i can't do it man, just not a square toe person. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Team square toe here.  I haven’t worn anything but a square toe in probably 20 years.  So I like to think I was wearing them before they were cool.  Not sure when they became stylish, or if they still are.  But I don’t see myself switching anytime soon.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

The anti-square toe crowd that says they aren’t real cowboy boots makes me giggle, and also helps separate the city folk from the country folk. Go watch Tombstone, every single pair of boots in that movie is square toe and that was 1993. It’s nothing new, but because George strait doesn’t wear them some folks think they’re the sign of a goat roper.

I’ve worked on the 6666. Outfitted boys from the 6666, Pitchfork, and the Big Creek ranch just to name a few. Every single one of them was 100x the cowpoke anyone in here has ever dreamed of being and every single one wore square toes.

If you prefer round toe, that’s perfectly fine and to each their own. But to say it’s not a real cowboy boot is showing exactly how much of an asphalt cowboy you are.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

The anti-square toe crowd that says they aren’t real cowboy boots makes me giggle, and also helps separate the city folk from the country folk. Go watch Tombstone, every single pair of boots in that movie is square toe and that was 1993. It’s nothing new, but because George strait doesn’t wear them some folks think they’re the sign of a goat roper.

I’ve worked on the 6666. Outfitted boys from the 6666, Pitchfork, and the Big Creek ranch just to name a few. Every single one of them was 100x the cowpoke anyone in here has ever dreamed of being and every single one wore square toes.

If you prefer round toe, that’s perfectly fine and to each their own. But to say it’s not a real cowboy boot is showing exactly how much of an asphalt cowboy you are.

This ^

I too know a ton of guys with more cowboy in their little finger than probably everyone on this site combined and they all wear square toes.

I think if I walked up to a ole boy at the Houston Rodeo and told him his square toes looked dumb as shit, I’d probably get my ass kicked. And deservedly so. 

However, if some dumb ass Aggy with a quarter acre lot in Copperfield wears square toes to work, I’m definitely giving him shit about it.

Theres a time and a place for everything. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Howdy agg. I’m off to watch Tombstone.

The original cowboy boots were square toed, for the most part. There is a myth that it was because they didn't make left and right footed lasts at the time, but it actually just had to do with the style that carried over from the military boots they evolved from. Now, there was a period of time 50 or so years before the cowboy era really began where straight lasted shoes were in vogue in all the European centers of fashion. But it wasn't because they hadn't figured out that having right and left footed lasts mad things better. It was because the fashion of the time dictated that a symmetrical foot was more attractive. People would actually swap feet everyday with their shoes to try and keep them more symmetrical. 

The square toed boots of today are wider, but they are so much easier to wear. They are the standard now, whether you like it or not. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

see, this is the kind of stuff that makes me think there has to be a work-based reason for them to keep picking and wearing them. any idea what reason that would be?

i don't hate square toes, but have shifted from square toes to round toes - think it is because my grandfather wore them basically every day and i think of him when i wear round toes?

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/17/2021 at 10:13 AM, billfromlaketravis said:

@ me. 

682A64D3-A75F-43E6-AD29-3F829EF0B83C.thumb.jpeg.bca64d7fa6788c2ee0558f181c98404d.jpeg

8 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I think if I walked up to a ole boy at the Houston Rodeo and told him his square toes looked dumb as shit, I’d probably get my ass kicked. And deservedly so. 

However, if some dumb ass Aggy with a quarter acre lot in Copperfield wears square toes to work, I’m definitely giving him shit about it.

Theres a time and a place for everything. 

If you're wearing that, you probably shouldn't be talking shit to anyone.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, NoName said:

see, this is the kind of stuff that makes me think there has to be a work-based reason for them to keep picking and wearing them. any idea what reason that would be?

i don't hate square toes, but have shifted from square toes to round toes - think it is because my grandfather wore them basically every day and i think of him when i wear round toes?

This has been addressed, but it's comfort.  Damn near nobody has a foot shaped like any footwear that comes to a rounded point at the front.

Funny you say that about your grandfather because the only real horsemen/cowboys I know that still wear round toe boots today are old as dirt (and women will wear them for fashion reasons).  Some of those old timers' boots might even lean toward being slightly pointed toe.  But that's just because they're old and set in their ways.  One I'm thinking of in particular, one of the best horsemen I've ever known, also still carries a flip phone and wouldn't know how to turn on the internet if his life depended on it.  He can pull off round toes.  He can pull off any damn toe he wants.

• Hook 'Em 1