Cowboy Boots

Silky Johnston

Well I guess Stetson has decided they’d rather sell bourbon than cowboy hats. I called this morning to ask when they might restock their hats. “We have no updates sir. We don’t know when they’re going to send us more hats.” 

Welp, 1) they’re not making their own hats and 2) how are they making money if they’re not selling hats? That is their core business. 

Note: Yes I know American makes a better hat. However, I like one of Stetson’s hat colors better American than what American has to offer. 

Well I guess Stetson has decided they’d rather sell bourbon than cowboy hats. I called this morning to ask when they might restock their hats. “We have no updates sir. We don’t know when they’re going to send us more hats.” 

Welp, 1) they’re not making their own hats and 2) how are they making money if they’re not selling hats? That is their core business. 

Note: Yes I know American makes a better hat. However, I like one of Stetson’s hat colors better American than what American has to offer. 

My favorite pair of boots are made by Stetson.
Pecan colored Caiman belly.
Oh and square toed too!

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I don’t know what budget your looking at but I can’t recommend a custom hat enough.  Pretty much same as with boots but less of a delta at certain price points. 

Who exactly did you call? HatCo owns the Resistol and Stetson name and produces them both in Garland. There is nowhere else they’re made which leads me to postulate you weren’t speaking to the factory

4 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Who exactly did you call? HatCo owns the Resistol and Stetson name and produces them both in Garland. There is nowhere else they’re made which leads me to postulate you weren’t speaking to the factory

I believe the HatCo factory in Longview is currently operating as well. Or at least they have relatively current job postings for the Longview factory.

6 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

So about to start traveling again and need a new pair of boots. Been watching Tecovas take off and nice to see the Sur likes them. Any negatives? 

I believe the Surly consensus is that they’re not as well made as Anderson Beans or custom boots. No arguments there. 

Aesthetically they’re great, but not the best boots to work in. They’re fine for walking through airports and going to meetings. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 1

who is your rec for "lower end"/"cheaper" boots these days?

I guess that’s relative to what you would define as cheap/lower end?

And for full transparency, I haven’t purchased a pair of boots above wholesale cost in over 15 years. In fact, most boots I acquired were won in sales contests. The only ones I purchased were custom.
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’ve been in a few Foreign Legion and VFW Halls, and they’re usually run down shit boxes. Even in nice neighborhoods.  Our veterans deserve a decent place to have a drink and eat a meal. I’m on board. Well done Tecovas. 

they're usually that way because the people running the place skim the place to death. trust me on this one 

Got new soles put on my Luccheses. Place did a real nice job and they look almost like brand new boots, all for about $100.
y4Gk5i7q_o.jpg

Crazy to think you paid $369 for those probably 10-12 years ago and now if they were still in production they would be over $550. Never liked the feel of Lucchese but always thought those 2000’s looked pretty sharp.

8 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

That saddle vamp didn’t come on the Cowboy Collection that I can recall. CC may be exclusive to Cavender’s now, but originally they were universally available. Pretty boot either way

I had a pair of the ostrich 2000’s I bought in 2008 or so for about $450.  They were extremely comfortable.  Fucking barbed wire fence knicked one and couldn’t recover.  I soled them 3+ times iirc.  Light as a feather. 

ETA: they have the same vamp. Also from cavenders. 

Edited by fattyflattie

On 7/11/2021 at 9:38 AM, billfromlaketravis said:

I stopped by the Tecovas Rice Village store yesterday. Hard pass on the goat boots. The soles are a very light tan, almost white. 

The good news is they’re bringing back The Cooper croc boots. 

I thought about the goat as well until i saw the sole.  way too light for my liking.

7 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

I thought about the goat as well until i saw the sole.  way too light for my liking.

An Aggy coworker LOVES the goat boots. That should have been the first red flag. 

Tecovas has cooled off some. They haven't put out a good looking boot since The Jasper. 

B081915B-B6BC-4C5B-A6E9-9BAFCAF60D6F.thumb.jpeg.182d2f68b9fe74bfe48b80443661ab43.jpeg

Edited by billfromlaketravis

• 4 weeks later...

Hoping someone might have an idea, as I’m fresh out. 

About 6 years ago I pulled the trigger on a pair of Lucchese 1883, elephant. Can’t remember the style name right now, but whatever. They were close to $2k. Not super pricey, but not your $200 ariat or similar. 

They were a custom order, and I was custom fit at a reputable store. 

So they come in, seemed to be fine and while a tick snug just needed time to break in. 

I get home, wear a bit off and on, no big deal. But something was just a tick off. Ended up calling store, making arrangements to come back in (store is a little over 2 hours away), and get things checked. They work em a bit, then a bit more, and they seemed better. 

Not so much. Wearing for more than an hour became uncomfortable, and they never did stretch much and were still too tight. 

I’ve had them looked at locally, messed with a tick, but still just never got them even to a point I could wear them even for an evening out. 

Where the issue lies is on the inside where the sole joins to the upper. It’s like a tiny gap between the insole and the edge, and I guess it’s maybe pinching or something? Last time I wore them was a flight connecting through DFW to AUS, and not even halfway through connecting I knew it wasn’t going to be good. Yep, by the time I got them pried off I ended up with a wonderful blister about an inch in diameter and hobbled around for 10 days.

Either way I’ve been stuck with a kick ass pair of boots that might as well be a display or paper weight. 

They’re already just a tick too snug, so adding an insole isn’t happening. And as I’m not an expert on construction and such, don’t know what/if anything can be done.

I guess maybe I could get someone to maybe rebuild them, and also maybe they could stretch them a bit too, but I’m not sure if it’s possible, what the cost would be, and if it would even be worth it. 

I don’t want to just keep throwing money at it just to waste it in the end. At the same time, I hate to think about a nice pair of boots that cost a bit to just sit around. 

Any ideas that might be worth pursuing? 

IIRC I had them in the OS thread when I got them, but that was a long time ago. 

I guess I could sell them to someone they would fit, but damn it, I really like these and really want to be able to wear them. 

I’m just not sure at this point if it’s worth the trouble, and I should just see if I can sell them to someone who can appreciate them. 

Thoughts?

Take them to someone who knows what they are doing and they can probably put them back on a last and put a new slightly wider insole on them. And by insole, I mean the actual inside layer of leather that the tops and welt are attached to, not the foam thingy that goes inside. You need to find someone who really knows exactly what they are doing, because that is going to be about as complete a rebuild as you can get, and if they get it wrong you are still SOL.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I give up. I wanted to save a few bucks and buy a Stetson instead of an American, but I can't wait "6-9 months" for them to manufacture it. New plan, go to The Hat Store on Richmond and have them make an American hat. 

That Hat store usually has some inventory in stock. 

9 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I give up. I wanted to save a few bucks and buy a Stetson instead of an American, but I can't wait "6-9 months" for them to manufacture it. New plan, go to The Hat Store on Richmond and have them make an American hat. 

You’re going to end up with a better hat.  Dude makes some nice stuff.  

• Hook 'Em 1

How much do they charge for a custom there? Just curious what the prices there are, as there is like a fifty or hundred dollar gap between starting prices between the two hat makers in the town I grew up in. FYI, there is only one hat company that sells blanks to hat makers in America, The Winchester Hat Company in Winchester, TN, so you are probably getting the same blanks at the base model anywhere you go.

Edited by NotActuallyALonghorn