Cowboy Boots

Silky Johnston

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I think as other posters have laid out, Tecovas boots aren't going to take a daily beating or last for 30 years of consistent wear. They're reasonable quality boots for a reasonable price. I like them because they look good and don't hurt my feet. And that's all I need them to do. 

This.  I have 5 pair and rotate through them regularly.  I like the look and they feel great out of the box.

1 hour ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

LOL - well not quite but it's close. It's closer to a green leather Hermes purse than a Tecovas duffle bag, that's for sure. But she also did a lot of research and thinking in picking it out, so I can't complain all that much. 

image.thumb.jpeg.47a20b1b1bd98b21dde113bb1d2ec607.jpeg

That said, for my birthday this weekend she also got me a new custom leather skeet pouch from Maida's, so she did alright in the leather goods dept. 

IMG_7811.jpg.3498ed7b45df9480a42038f5cd848727.jpg

Good folks at Maida's. The new space is really cool. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2022 at 9:00 AM, billfromlaketravis said:

I think as other posters have laid out, Tecovas boots aren't going to take a daily beating or last for 30 years of consistent wear. They're reasonable quality boots for a reasonable price. I like them because they look good and don't hurt my feet. And that's all I need them to do. 

https://www.superfeet.com/en-us/

the green ones are damn awesome but i have one pair of boots that needed the thinner carbon fiber soles

On 1/12/2022 at 11:23 PM, tx 3 putt said:

https://www.superfeet.com/en-us/

the green ones are damn awesome but i have one pair of boots that needed the thinner carbon fiber soles

My primary issue is the top of my pinky toe getting pinched while I walk. Every pair of boots. It doesn’t matter the brand, but my most broken in pair of Tecovas are the most comfortable. 

Does Super Feet help improve this? My concern is an additional insole will just make the boots tighter. 

I know the simplest solution is to buy custom boots, but the juice really isn’t worth the squeeze in my case. I don’t wear boots enough to justify the cost.

16 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

My primary issue is the top of my pinky toe getting pinched while I walk. Every pair of boots. It doesn’t matter the brand, but my most broken in pair of Tecovas are the most comfortable. 

Does Super Feet help improve this? My concern is an additional insole will just make the boots tighter. 

I know the simplest solution is to buy custom boots, but the juice really isn’t worth the squeeze in my case. I don’t wear boots enough to justify the cost.

Probably not and you're probably right.

My best guess would be that your boots don't actually fit right and your foot is sllding too far forward in the boot.  You probably don't need custom boots, but you probably need C or B width boots so the instep is tight enough to keep your foot from sliding forward.

Boots that don't come in a range of widths are a bit of a travesty.

On 1/17/2022 at 11:47 PM, TwiceHorn said:

Probably not and you're probably right.

My best guess would be that your boots don't actually fit right and your foot is sllding too far forward in the boot.  You probably don't need custom boots, but you probably need C or B width boots so the instep is tight enough to keep your foot from sliding forward.

Boots that don't come in a range of widths are a bit of a travesty.

Does the material matter? Smooth quill ostrich and suede are both pretty comfortable on my feet. Croc and caiman not so much. I assume the smooth quill and suede have more give? 

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Does the material matter? Smooth quill ostrich and suede are both pretty comfortable on my feet. Croc and caiman not so much. I assume the smooth quill and suede have more give? 

My pinky toes will literally work their way thru ostrich and thin calfskin boots. Haven’t had that issue since I switched over to square toes in ‘02 or so.  Have never had the issue in alligator or elephant, in any toe. 

5 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Material absolutely matters - many exotics stretch and swell much more than traditional leather.  I actually had to go smaller in my ostrich and they later stretched to fit perfectly.  

17 hours ago, NoName said:

Smart. There is a whole untapped population of douchebags out there all over the country just waiting for the next douchebag thing to buy. Especially ultra-trim fit shirts with fake pearl snaps. 

(ducks)

• Haha 3

I won't buy another pearl snap shirt until they start selling them with neck/sleeve length sizes. Medium/large/extra large sizes won't fit many people properly. I gave all my Wrangler and Stetson shirts to my FIL because they fit me like shit. 

So no Tecovas, you won't be getting my money in this case. 

They're supposed to be coming out felt hats soon. I'm sure they'll sell out in a couple days. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/19/2022 at 9:42 AM, billfromlaketravis said:

Yeah, as noted, some are more "stretchy" than others, and can wear when the little toe kind of sticks out.  I think as much as anything, it's the abrasion the leather receives while stretched thin and exposed.  This is why you want to avoid those skins, generally, in a rougher-use boot.

Still, though, if a boot fits really properly, it shouldn't be doing that.  And, the comfort when a boot fits properly is an order of magnitude better, although they will be something of a bitch to get on and off.

I see they finally made some square toed boots. Might try a set of the ostrich for a throw down pair. Then again, they’re only $150 cheaper than a pair of ABs, so maybe not.  I’ll at least make an attempt to try some on now, even though I need more of an H than an I. 

Not a bad business model, there’s a shit ton of people that only wear their boots a handful of times a year and can’t justify a grand plus for a pair. Especially if you want a few different skins. 

Just now, fattyflattie said:

I see they finally made some square toed boots. Might try a set of the ostrich for a throw down pair. Then again, they’re only $150 cheaper than a pair of ABs, so maybe not.  I’ll at least make an attempt to try some on now, even though I need more of an H than an I. 

Not a bad business model, there’s a shit ton of people that only wear their boots a handful of times a year and can’t justify a grand plus for a pair. Especially if you want a few different skins. 

This. 

I was hoping Cuero would battle Tecovas for market share, and possibly force Tecovas to lower their prices, but Cuero went a different way. They decided to copy Ariat instead of Tecovas. 

6 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

This. 

I was hoping Cuero would battle Tecovas for market share, and possibly force Tecovas to lower their prices, but Cuero went a different way. They decided to copy Ariat instead of Tecovas. 

I just looked it up after you mentioned this, looks like they went about 50% to “work boots” and the other half varying types of classic cowboy boots.  But all calfskin.  But yeah everything in $200 range.  Not sure how they’ll sell compared to a set of Ariats that are right in that same range, and pretty sturdy boots in my experience.   

Damn it. All this boot talk has me wanting to take a cheap flight out to El Paso to do some shopping. 

15 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I won't buy another pearl snap shirt until they start selling them with neck/sleeve length sizes. Medium/large/extra large sizes won't fit many people properly. I gave all my Wrangler and Stetson shirts to my FIL because they fit me like shit. 

So no Tecovas, you won't be getting my money in this case. 

They're supposed to be coming out felt hats soon. I'm sure they'll sell out in a couple days. 

Wrangler work shirts are sized like that. I wish they did it on other product lines. Of course that just means more sizes that won't sell as easily, so more stuff has to get marked down at the end of the season and it takes up more rack space in stores. So probably not gonna happen.

3 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Regular old ankle socks for the win. It only takes like a day to get used to it, and you will be much more comfortable afterwards. There is no need to wear heavy boot socks unless you are doing heavy work in heavy work boots.

I wear dress socks for everything. Much more comfortable. 

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Got my latest (3rd) pair of Maida's today just in time for the rodeo and also a funeral I have to attend this weekend. Chocolate French calf. Perfect fit just like the first two pair. Love Sal. Everyone go give him money and wait 4-6 months. You won't be disappointed.  

IMG_8302.jpg.6de2700a2af396133b8bf0e0f962a916.jpg

IMG_8303.jpg.70cfbbbc99a703a7707c97a043459c3c.jpg

IMG_8309.jpg.d8272428072a1949a739627f684ee90f.jpg

general ballpark on what the price was on those?

On 2/24/2022 at 8:16 PM, crimsonlonghorn said:

Got my latest (3rd) pair of Maida's today just in time for the rodeo and also a funeral I have to attend this weekend. Chocolate French calf. Perfect fit just like the first two pair. Love Sal. Everyone go give him money and wait 4-6 months. You won't be disappointed.  

IMG_8302.jpg.6de2700a2af396133b8bf0e0f962a916.jpg

IMG_8303.jpg.70cfbbbc99a703a7707c97a043459c3c.jpg

IMG_8309.jpg.d8272428072a1949a739627f684ee90f.jpg

I had a friend at UT, Blake Maida who I think might be from this family. He went on to be an oral surgeon though. 

13 hours ago, RMac5 said:

I love my AB’s but am considering some Black Jack caimen boots. I have lots of Cavenders gift cards and think I might try a pair. Cost wise, they are about the same price. 

I have both.  @Herbie Hancock nailed it above, while vague.  Both great boots. To me the BJ seem fancier, I guess.  They are good boots though. 

Yeah I wasn’t trying to be vague but the response I had typed to explain the difference was entirely too long winded. I also think I covered this very topic a couple years back, maybe it was on the other site. Alas, I’ll try again with less words.

Blackjack was formed by a group of master boot makers that worked for Lucchese for years. They are the highest quality in exotic skins that I’ve ever seen. They are all handmade, not simply handcrafted. They use the best materials and methods in building their boots (lemonwood pegs, etc). They don’t make “stock” boots in the traditional sense. They make a design for a specific retail chain/location. They also do custom fit and design for individuals through their authorized retailers as well. Their basic cowhide boots are a good deal more expensive than something similar from AB would be.

AB has a small catalog of stock items, but similar to Blackjack the majority of the AB’s you see are specific to the retail chain and/or location that you saw them in. AB are more modestly priced than BJ and a bit more generic looking but they’re still top quality as well (lemonwood pegs, etc). Handcrafted, not handmade. I’ve only seen a handful of AB come back for defect/damage issues. Their QC standard is very high. I’ve seen Lucchese’s come back for damage/defect issues 5:1 compared to AB or BJ.

Tldr; they’re both great boots, but unless you’re wanting to custom design a pair or need a super fancy pair to go with a suit I would go with AB if for no other reason than practicality

• Hook 'Em 3

Thanks for the info, helps tons.  I’m having an issue with a pair of AB boots that were defective. Long story short, they told me they would work with me and Cavenders to make it right. Been almost a year and no boots.  I have several pair of AB boots, mostly exotic skins and have been very happy until now. Thinking I may start buying Black Jack boots going forward. Will probably buy some caimen and ostrich in next few weeks and feel sure it will be the Jack’s.

On 3/3/2022 at 5:46 PM, Herbie Hancock said:

If you are in the metroplex shoot me a pm. It’s been over a decade but I still have plenty of connections. If you’re outside of the metroplex I’m afraid I can’t be of much assistance. The # of Cavender’s has just about doubled since I left. 

Thanks for the help HH! Might just buy a pair of Black Jacks and see what I think, that will give me more time to let Bean try and resolve my boot issue. 

7 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Got a custom-made pair of Black Jacks. I have 32 pairs of boots and these are now my favorites. I must have walked 20 miles this weekend in them and they are super comfortable, partly because I had them made with an insole.  Took forever to get to me because of pandemic issues but holy cow they are everything I want in a boot.  Because I am Traces of Texas I wanted something that was heavy on the Texas motiff but not colorful/frou frou with cactus/sunsets or whatever (like RocketBusters would be).

New Boots 2.jpg

New Boots 1.jpg

To quote an agroid admiring another agroid's ropers with the eaTme logo, "them are nice!"

• 1 month later...

I've decided to get a decent pair of boots. I think I have settled on the Tecovas Goat Ropers in Scotch Goat. Unfortunately they are backordered. It seems like Tecovas got some love in the early days of this thread but that people may be down on them now. Are they still putting out decent boots, or is there a different brand in the same price point I should be looking at?

8 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I've decided to get a decent pair of boots. I think I have settled on the Tecovas Goat Ropers in Scotch Goat. Unfortunately they are backordered. It seems like Tecovas got some love in the early days of this thread but that people may be down on them now. Are they still putting out decent boots, or is there a different brand in the same price point I should be looking at?

Take a look at Azulado. My Tecovas have held up fine but I have not bought a pair from there in many years.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I'm not certain people are down on them.  But they are a price point boot.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/29/2022 at 9:40 AM, Seasick Sailor said:

As long as you’re not wearing them every single day, you should be fine. 

I think the crux of the arguments in this thread are about what boots should be used for. If you wear boots on Casual Fridays, you’re probably a Tecovas guy. If you work on your feet all day, you’re probably a Red Wings or Anderson Bean guy. 

• Like 1