Jeff Traylor hired as UTSA head coach

texifornia

Yep, really.

Vince Young was the starting QB on a team that got shut out by blowU. Vince Young did not suck as a player.

Derrick Johnson-led defenses lost to BlowU four years in a row, by an average score of about 35-10. Derrick Johnson did not suck as a player.

And I believe Traylor does not suck as a coach.

You can't hold everyone responsible for every failure. We'll see what Traylor's made of, I guess, but I kinda think there are some jobs where failure is pretty much guaranteed. UTSA seems like one of those to me, and will remain that way until about four or five Texas schools drop out of of FBS.

• Like 3

http://www.utsa.edu/today/2019/12/story/traylor-jeff-announcement.html

UTSA names Jeff Traylor new head football coach

Dec. 9, 2019 — The University of Texas at San Antonio has selected Jeff Traylor, former associate head coach at UT Austin, Southern Methodist University and the University of Arkansas, as its new head football coach. Traylor has nearly 30 years of coaching experience, including a highly successful 15-year career as head coach at Gilmer High School, where he led teams to three state championships and two state runner-up finishes, winning more than 87% of his games.

Traylor has served most recently as associate head coach and running backs coach for two seasons at Arkansas. Prior to that, he served in the same role at SMU for the 2017 season. He began at the collegiate level as the special teams coordinator and tight ends coach at Texas in 2015 before becoming the Longhorns’ associate head coach for offense and wide receivers coach the following year.

“As we conducted an extensive national search, one candidate prominently rose above the others for his record of success, his commitment to preparing student-athletes for life and his deep ties to football here in the state of Texas,” said UTSA President Taylor Eighmy. “Coach Traylor embodies all of these characteristics and has an outstanding reputation among his high school, college and professional peers for his ability to recruit, develop and mold champions—on the field and in life.”

A native of Gilmer, Traylor built his hometown program into a prep powerhouse during his 15-year tenure. A four-time Texas High School Coach of the Year for Class 4A, he posted a 175-26 record (.871 winning percentage) and led the Buckeyes to five state championship game appearances, three state titles and 12 district crowns. Gilmer turned in a pair of perfect 16-0 seasons, won 10-or-more games 11 times, and registered seven 13-win seasons and three 15-win campaigns during his tenure. In 2019, Gilmer renamed Buckeye Stadium to Jeff Traylor Stadium to honor Traylor’s success.

“Finding a leader who not only understands the landscape of recruiting in Texas but has demonstrated an ability to build a championship culture was key in this selection,” said Lisa Campos, UTSA vice president for intercollegiate athletics. “Jeff is a high energy individual who is going to engage our community, build relationships and positively impact the lives of our student-athletes, all while building a championship caliber program.”

Traylor’s Texas high school connections run deep. During his time as the lead recruiter at Texas, Traylor helped the Longhorns sign the No. 7-ranked recruiting class in the country in back-to-back years and he was named Big 12 Recruiter of the Year for his efforts. He helped Arkansas ink the school’s first Top-20 recruiting class, which included 1,000-yard rusher Rakeem Boyd from Houston.

“Jeff Traylor is a champion who has an innate ability to help student-athletes become the best leaders they can be,” said D.W. Rutledge, former executive director of the Texas High School Football Coaches Association. “He is one of our own and as someone who is extremely well connected with the Texas high school coaching community, he is an excellent choice to usher in a powerful new era for Roadrunners Football.”

“I am so excited and grateful for this opportunity, and thank Dr. Eighmy, Dr. Campos and the rest of the UTSA community for putting their trust in me,” said Traylor. “I can’t wait to meet our student-athletes and the rest of the Roadrunner Family, and I look forward to hitting the ground running. UTSA is a sleeping giant and I can’t wait to wake it up.”

“Being a native Texan and a coach for so many years in this state, I understand how important football is to the people of Texas,” added Traylor. “I’m anxious to reconnect and continue building relationships with Texas High School Coaches Association and all the great high school coaches in this state and beyond.”

Traylor began his coaching career as an assistant coach at Big Sandy (Texas) High School in 1990-1993 before a seven-year stint (1994-2000) at Jacksonville High School where he served as passing coordinator, defensive backs coach, receivers coach and special teams coordinator. There, he helped coach future NFL quarterbacks Josh McCown and Luke McCown and former Texas A&M standout signal-caller Randy McCown.

“Jeff Traylor is a dynamic, transformational leader who will usher in a bright new era for UTSA football,” Baylor head coach Matt Rhule said. “I have long admired Coach Traylor’s passion for young people, his knowledge of the game and his unparalleled impact in recruiting. He is a dynamic personality who will recruit the very best student-athletes from all across the state and high school coaches know that if they send a young man to Jeff, he will be cared for, taught and pushed to be the very best that he can be. I look forward to seeing Coach Traylor and his staff bring a championship to San Antonio.”

A 1986 graduate of Gilmer High School, Traylor earned both undergraduate and graduate degrees in education from Stephen F. Austin while playing football as a walk-on.

He and his wife, Cari, have three children: Jordan, Jacob and Jaci.

Traylor’s five-year contract begins on Dec. 13 and includes $800,000 in guaranteed compensation in year one. It also includes financial incentives for various goals including, but not limited to, regular season game wins, achievement of a Bowl game and ticket sales milestones.

UTSA retained Collegiate Sports Associates, a prominent sports consulting firm, to conduct an extensive national search for head coach candidates.

Edited by LTtxfan

3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Traylor’s five-year contract begins on Dec. 13 and includes $800,000 in guaranteed compensation in year one.

That's a bargain considering the cost for coordinators starting at that much.  It was mentioned Harrell interviewed with UTSA, but he might have laughed if they started talking numbers with 800k.

Should be a boom or bust decision for utsa.  He could be the next briles, could be the next Mike jinks.

In a few short years he went from a long career coaching at Gilmer High School to making nearly a cool million per year with base pay plus incentives and he gets to move to San Antonio from that shithole in Arkansas.  That is for sure an upgrade.  He ain't making a million at Gilmer for sure.  Traylor will succeed at UTSA.  He is a better offensive coach and just as good recruiter as Frank Wilson.  He may actually be what UTSA thought they were getting with Larry Coker.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Not so sure they need to hold this Press Conference at the Alamodome right??

Nah, they could have done it with both big money donors on campus.

That school has got to figure out how to build an on campus stadium. The game production at the Alamodome is like going to a Spurs game, which sucks at a college football game.
Build a smaller expandable stadium on campus, stop using the Spurs production people to run (ruin) the game, and grow a fan base.

6 hours ago, relapse98 said:

That school has got to figure out how to build an on campus stadium

I'm pretty sure they just signed an extension for the alamodome last year.  They have the land to do it but not much incentive otherwise.  It's be a lot of money for something that gets used 6 times a year.  I live in the area though, and the only highway that goes by campus is 1604 which is a a two lane highway.  Traffic in that area is shit on a normal Saturday, I can't imagine trying to get another 30k people in and out of there. 

1 hour ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

I'm pretty sure they just signed an extension for the alamodome last year.  They have the land to do it but not much incentive otherwise.  It's be a lot of money for something that gets used 6 times a year.  I live in the area though, and the only highway that goes by campus is 1604 which is a a two lane highway.  Traffic in that area is shit on a normal Saturday, I can't imagine trying to get another 30k people in and out of there. 

Hausman/Babcock/UTSA Blvd would be a fucking nightmare on gamedays.  Fuck that.

E: Do they still have those buses to take the students downtown for games?  I remember seeing them when I went to that very first game, but haven't been to any more.

Edited by MadBurgerMaker

1 hour ago, MadBurgerMaker said:

Hausman/Babcock/UTSA Blvd would be a fucking nightmare on gamedays.  Fuck that.

E: Do they still have those buses to take the students downtown for games?  I remember seeing them when I went to that very first game, but haven't been to any more.

Hausman road needs to be a 12 lane highway in each direction. It's the worst road on earth from 7-9 am and 5-6pm. 

4 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Sources: Barry Lunney, Jr., to be UTSA offensive coordinator

https://footballscoop.com/news/sources-barry-lunney-jr-to-be-utsa-offensive-coordinator/

UTSA:   McNeese (FCS – LA) offensive coordinator/offensive line coach Matt Mattox will join the staff as run game coordinator, sources tell FootballScoop. Mattox has previously coached offensive lines at South Florida, Texas, Tulsa, Bowling Green and Eastern Illinois.

2 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Who keeps pos repping you for your dumbass posts?  The whole board knows you’re a cunt, right?

¡Pobrecito Rex! Always fussing about everyone else's rep, and wondering why his own is so low. Here's a tip: quit flinging shit all over everyone like a baboon on ketamine and watch your green number grow, child.

• Like 4

On 12/9/2019 at 5:36 PM, MaybeACoordinator said:

Yep, really.

Vince Young was the starting QB on a team that got shut out by blowU. Vince Young did not suck as a player.

Derrick Johnson-led defenses lost to BlowU four years in a row, by an average score of about 35-10. Derrick Johnson did not suck as a player.

And I believe Traylor does not suck as a coach.

You can't hold everyone responsible for every failure. We'll see what Traylor's made of, I guess, but I kinda think there are some jobs where failure is pretty much guaranteed. UTSA seems like one of those to me, and will remain that way until about four or five Texas schools drop out of of FBS.

Yes, there are some programs where failure is nigh guaranteed. An FBS school in the heart of Texas is not one of them. UTSA and especially Texas State really have no excuse for sucking ass. There's plenty of talent in this state to go around. 

On 12/10/2019 at 9:43 AM, relapse98 said:

Nah, they could have done it with both big money donors on campus.

That school has got to figure out how to build an on campus stadium. The game production at the Alamodome is like going to a Spurs game, which sucks at a college football game.
Build a smaller expandable stadium on campus, stop using the Spurs production people to run (ruin) the game, and grow a fan base.

UTSA is starting to put some major dollars into their overall athletic program.   They just broke ground on a  $44 million campus athletic complex which will include an indoor practice facility.   Also plans are in the works for a new convocation center .  A campus football stadium would be ideal, but probably years away if ever.  Chances are better San Antonio replaces the Alamodome in hopes of attracting an NFL team and they use whatever facility is built.   What would have been ideal is UTSA and the Northside ISD building a large facility  where Dub Farris Stadium is located, but that stadium was built long before UTSA football was even a possibility.    

I've seen UTSA from the school I once considered attending in the late 80's to what it is today and my oldest currently is finishing his Senior year there.   It's grown big time and I know they have students now from all over the world attending.  But in someways it still feels like the commuter school it was back in the day. It's not like UT where the city grew around the college and state capital and it still has a college town vibe.    UTSA used to be out in the sticks until the 80's and even into the 90's until the La Cantera/Fiesta Texas area started humming.    But you still don't have alot of stuff around there which keeps the student body close or around campus (within walking or biking distance) like you do in Austin or other college towns of all sizes.   Concerts are held Downtown or AT&T and other venues away from campus.   Same goes for trendy places to eat and hang out.   They have some close by like The RIM, but that requires car ride.   

Traylor said at presser yesterday that at least 2 current High School coaches will become part of his UTSA coaching staff...

UTSA: Julian B. Griffin, who previously served in a quality control capacity at Arkansas, will coach the UTSA running backs, per source.

Edited by LTtxfan

On 12/11/2019 at 6:16 PM, LTtxfan said:

Traylor said at presser yesterday that at least 2 current High School coaches will become part of his UTSA coaching staff...   UTSA: Julian B. Griffin, who previously served in a quality control capacity at Arkansas, will coach the UTSA running backs, per source.

UTSA: Daniel Da Patro has joined the staff as special teams coordinator. He previously worked with Jeff Traylor handling special teams at Arkansas.

More on the hires.    Former Longhorn All American/National Champ Team member Rod Wright retained as DL coach.   

Special teams coordinator Daniel Da Prato, running backs coach Julian Griffin and safeties coach Jess Loepp all come from Arkansas, where Traylor was the associate head coach the past two seasons.

Cornerbacks coach Nick Graham and run game coordinator/offensive line coach Matt Mattox join UTSA after spending last season at McNeese.

Defensive line coach Rod Wright will be retained for a second season after joining the Roadrunners last year.

https://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/college_sports/utsa/article/UTSA-coach-Jeff-Traylor-makes-first-wave-of-14903053.php