Michael Knight

Babies are like New Zealanders. Everyone loves them and the funny way they talk

Kaden? THAT'S AN ASSHOLE NAME! 

Things we know about the future:

• Capital moves from DC to to Buffalo
  • Philadelphia went up in flames
  • There's 2 presidents - one is some sort of Alexa-type AI

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Maybe next episode something can be ejected from the ship only to orbit it and disturb passengers at windows. 

btw there’s a lot of very large windows for a space craft. Add window tech advancements to the list of things we know about the future. 

Right? I'm more surprised they can't turn the windows into video screens or something and just project an image of space, minus the poop and coffins. 

4 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I laughed out loud when Capt House was trying to get Jared to hook him up with sedatives and he waited and then pointed right at the moment the ship "pinged." I also enjoyed him trying to take Karen's coffee in the meeting in the board room.

I love that they are all so repulsed by him.

Judd hated him by the end. Billie refused to let him touch her. 

On 1/20/2020 at 3:39 PM, 4th&Five said:

I’m watching The Outsider and of course Curb so I’m sure I’ll sit through most of these but it didn’t do much for me either. Agree Jared was the bright spot. 

Same here so I sit through it. Have not watched the latest show but last week I left the show thinking. Shit surrounding the ship is more than appropriate because that is what the show is like.

21 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Same here so I sit through it. Have not watched the latest show but last week I left the show thinking. Shit surrounding the ship is more than appropriate because that is what the show is like.

I don't hate it. I don't love it by any means either but it's hard to believe this is coming from the same folks that gave us Veep. It's almost like Season 1 of True Detective = Veep and Season 2 of True Detective = Avenue 5.

Edited by C-Man

13 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I don't hate it. I don't love it by any means either but it's hard to believe this is coming from the same folks that gave us Veep. It's almost like Season 1 of True Detective = Veep and Season 2 of True Detective = Avenue 5.

You can't go from 6 weeks to 3+ years by accident and not address food and water supplies immediately. The characters are not funny . The ship is so big it has its own gravity to cause an orbit. Really? Orbiting coffins give us an idea of how big that ship is and it is not very large. Just so many problems with the show. The idea had potential.

50 minutes ago, C-Man said:

The Avenue 5 problem is everyone is a Mike (except Jared, who is a Jonah).  There's no Selena. 

32 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

You can't go from 6 weeks to 3+ years by accident and not address food and water supplies immediately. The characters are not funny . The ship is so big it has its own gravity to cause an orbit. Really? Orbiting coffins give us an idea of how big that ship is and it is not very large. Just so many problems with the show. The idea had potential.

I don't care for the actual science behind how much mass is required to create gravity.  It's a comedy, so they have some leeway, but they've gone to that well way too many times.  The lack of food/water rationing is kind of stupid because that's everyone's first thought if stranded.  They don't even mention it.  I agree with whoever said that it would probably be funnier if it was just the day to day hijinks of a cruise liner in space without the disaster element.  Maybe keep it where the head engineer still dies leaving House to have to lead the ship with zero knowledge.

51 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

It’s fake. Seriously, using your standard few movies would make it, especially satire.

The show is slow, but it has the Monty Python feel using one liners in place of dialogue. Basically a comedy within a comedy. Hell, the fact they went 3rd grade using bathroom humor should tell you what you’re dealing with.  

8 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

This show is horrible, yet I’m still watching

The casting is puzzling. The sassy black trillionaire on the ship would be a better mission control director. I do not like her. 

Himesh Patel is a waste. The only funny characters are Iris and Matt. “When he kills himself, we’ll tell HR we saw no warning signs” 

As I was watching the recent episode tonight, something occurred to me. 

a baby being born triggered an alarm from the ship to recalibrate the flight path for some reason. And now jettisoning flotsam and jetsam our the back will positively change their trajectory. 

but firing caskets out the side didn’t cause a recal alarm, and neither did the continuous ejection of pressurized human waste. 

but a baby going from in utero to...extra utero...throws the ship off. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2020 at 9:24 AM, Js1 said:

That was good.  Good analog to coronavirus.  What happens when people panic and latch on to any idea of survival. 

Poor Sarah. 

So is this season over now? Still not sure that was any good or not. Zach Woods was pretty good for the most part, I think. Laughed pretty good when Judd and Ryan "found" him and he wasn't really hiding.

22 minutes ago, C-Man said:

So is this season over now? Still not sure that was any good or not. Zach Woods was pretty good for the most part, I think. Laughed pretty good when Judd and Ryan "found" him and he wasn't really hiding.

Yes that was the end of the season. They’re now wildly off course Bc Karen fucked it up badly 

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

I feel like I enjoyed this show more than y’all apparently did. Maybe because I watched it after the Carrell space force thing, and maybe because I’m nostalgic for pre pandemic times. 

either way, this is back and I’m looking forward to watching.

I’m enjoying it the more I watch (still on first season but closing in in the end).  Some of the characters have grown on me, and it is surprisingly paced well.

• 2 weeks later...

Wait so the ship can change course and stop and dock with a station? 

Then why are they still stranded/off course? Why not just stop and have a ship or fleet of shuttles take everyone off if they can stop and dock?

Why not, before they found out it was a prison, decide to offload everyone onto the working station to be picked up?

I mean, Iris took a shuttle back to Avenue 5 from Earth in like a day or less. 

This is stupid now lol

I just don't know what to make of this show. Is this trying to be a this-is-so-bad-it's-good-show or something like that? It is painfully unfunny in parts. Is Ianucci laughing at us? Is this just something he's throwing together to satisfy a contract? I'm not sure I understand.

• 4 weeks later...

It’s not horrible, season 2 ending has the potential for a funnier season 3.  It definitely stumbled, but apparently the filming got really screwed up by COVID 

Speaking of season 3, like Orville  - contracts expired because of COVID but cast sticking around  I’ve seen comments from the main leads that they want season 3.

https://ew.com/tv/avenue-5-not-canceled-hbo/

Iannucci explained that the cast had been let out of their contracts because of the COVID-caused delay in shooting season 2 of the show.

"HBO doesn't really renew a season until the previous season is going out," he said. "Because we got delayed by the pandemic by about 18 months, we knew that meant everyone's contracts would run out, because they're contracted for a certain period. We just thought, everyone's got 101 other things to be doing, so it would be unfair to kind of keep them on hold in limbo. But everyone wants to do more. HBO are very keen. We'll make more when we can corral everyone together again. Everyone's up for it and we've already got ideas and thoughts about what happens next."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I wanted to like this show. I really did. But watching is tiresome because I know no matter what they do, something else is going to go wrong. I was rooting for the sun a few episodes ago.

I finished the second season last week. It’s gotten much better though I’m not sure it’s necessarily “good” yet.

• 1 month later...