Frozen Pizza - Because sometimes is just sounds good.

Landomatic

Anyone have a good go-to?  I grabbed a couple from Jimmy's (local Italian grocery store) the other day.  Good, not great.

Seem to remember maybe Costco has a good one?  But it's been years.

Still searching for that illusive frozen pizza that can at least be in the same conversation with average to above average delivery places.  Whatcha got, Surly?

• Like 1

spacer.png

The cheese one is good, too.  Is it as good as what you could get at a decent local pizza joint (probably not) or a homemade one (no).  Is it as good as the hot slices and whole pizzas offered at the Costco Food Court? Nah.  That said, is it better than most frozen pies out there? Yes, and at a better price.  And most importantly, will it scratch a pizza itch at 10pm?  Most def.

Or if you're trying to be a bit healthy (also available at Costco).  Kinda pricey for two but very tasty for a cauliflower pie. This one also was a lifesaver when I embarked on my body transformation two years ago (lost 46 pounds /csb).  This definitely scratched the pizza itch while keeping me ontrack.

spacer.png

Edited by Dutch

It's been forever, but the Stouffer's French bread pizzas were a favorite.

I also like the Red Baron little deep dish ones.

Totino's will always have a place in my heart.  taste like college.

I read a review of a deep dish DiGiorno that bakes in it's own pan.  I wasn't as impressed as the author.

My mom used to buy Tony's so that's what I grew up on (when we weren't making pizza from a box mix like Appian Way). That might be why I prefer pizza with a flaky, pastry style crust now. I'll still get one from time to time just for old time's sake but they don't seem quite as good as I remembered them. 

My go to is Red Baron classic crust. Stouffer's French Bread Pizzas are in steady rotation. I just had one a few days ago. I love how they give you enough pepperoni to have some in every bite. They've messed with their pepperoni a couple times over the years with disappointing results but they've gone back to giving you an ample supply cut into quarters so you can ensure thorough coverage. I'm anal retentive enough that I line up the rounded edge of the pepperoni quarters with the rounded end of the bread and the right angle edges with the squared off end of the bread. Literally some in every bite. It's both functional and visually appealing. 

I mentioned this on the old site. I love a Totino's Party Pizza but I haven't bought one since they ditched the cardboard box and started packaging them in plastic bags. I used that cardboard box as a makeshift pizza peel and cutting board. Don't mess with my system. There's also a psychological component because they just look smaller and more fragile in those plastic bags. 

2 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

My mom used to buy Tony's so that's what I grew up on (when we weren't making pizza from a box mix like Appian Way). That might be why I prefer pizza with a flaky, pastry style crust now. I'll still get one from time to time just for old time's sake but they don't seem quite as good as I remembered them. 

My go to is Red Baron classic crust. Stouffer's French Bread Pizzas are in steady rotation. I just had one a few days ago. I love how they give you enough pepperoni to have some in every bite. They've messed with their pepperoni a couple times over the years with disappointing results but they've gone back to giving you an ample supply cut into quarters so you can ensure thorough coverage. I'm anal retentive enough that I line up the rounded edge of the pepperoni quarters with the rounded end of the bread and the right angle edges with the squared off end of the bread. Literally some in every bite. It's both functional and visually appealing. 

I mentioned this on the old site. I love a Totino's Party Pizza but I haven't bought one since they ditched the cardboard box and started packaging them in plastic bags. I used that cardboard box as a makeshift pizza peel and cutting board. Don't mess with my system. There's also a psychological component because they just look smaller and more fragile in those plastic bags. 

You’re not special, we all used the box as a cutting board.  It makes a nice plate as well to ensure that the only thing to wash is the utensil used to slice the pizza.

1 minute ago, conVINCEd said:

You’re not special, we all used the box as a cutting board.  It makes a nice plate as well to ensure that the only thing to wash is the utensil used to slice the pizza.

Yeah, I heard from others before that they do the same thing. I was kind of hoping enough people would think like me that their sales would plummet and they'd be forced to bring back the cardboard box. Sadly, that hasn't happened. Oh well. I'm just one guy and my boycott probably costs them less than $10 in sales each year. 

Different choices for different occasions.

For cheap drunk eats, and a bite of nostalgia for my poor student days?  Totinos for sure.

For a quick dinner with the family when I've worked late?  Various thin crust options -- HEB's, Randall's, Costco's, all are good.

For a healthier option?  The cauliflower crust ones are actually pretty good.

For a really good, restaurant tasting option?  The Central Market brand choices are really good.

2 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

I would add extra shredded cheddar on top of mine. I never bothered with utensils, just picked it up and ate it and would sometimes fold it in half and eat it calzone style. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Yep.  Back in the day:  $.99 totinos and/or Ramen/Earl Campbells hot links always hit the spot.  

I'm reliving my hypermetabolistic youth through my 15 YO son.  The other night he had a late event at school and asked if we could stop by HEB on the way home to get a snack.

He selected the 31 oz Bagel Bites Pizza Snacks.  Fine.

We got home and I saw him pop "some" in the oven.  I didn't really think anything of it.  A while later I got a hankering for some Bagel Bites Pizza Snacks too, so I went to the freezer to grab a few.  No box.  I looked in the refrigerator, because he's a dumbass, no box.  I looked on the counter, no box. 

"Son, where are the Bagel Bites Pizza Snacks?" 

"I ate them all."

1.9 lbs of deliciously bad frozen Bagel Bites Pizza Snacks, gone in a flash.  It would take me 6 meals to kill that box these days.

• Like 4