Frozen Pizza - Because sometimes is just sounds good.

Landomatic

People thaw frozen pizza?  

We've been disappointed of late with Screamin' Sicilian, seems to have a bit of an aftertaste to us.  A little on the expensive side but we've had both Malnati's and Giordani's shipped to our house.  Usually stick with Newman's for store bought frozen pizza since profits go to charity. 

Edited by Underdog

9 minutes ago, Underdog said:

We've been disappointed of late with Screamin' Sicilian, seems to have a bit of an aftertaste to us.  A little on the expensive side but we've had both Malnati's and Giordani's shipped to our house.  Usually stick with Newman's for store bought frozen pizza since profits go to charity. 

Well, to be fair, to date one poster thaws his frozen pizza. 

plus bacon and jalapenos. and dominos has shredded parmesan asiago as a "topping" which is great. The boy always gets pepperoni and mushrooms, though he's not really a picky eater, that's just his favorite. So I got him that and the wife and I the large 8 topping with the specialty pizza trick. He went straight to that one and hardly had any of his "favorite".

Edited by Viper

That's nuts.  I go

Margherita (essentially a cheese pizza with basil)

Cheese (the gold standard to see what kind of skills the pizza parlor actually has)

Italian sausage, sometimes with jalapenos

Pepperoni, pancetta or prosciutto (more for my kids)

I want a pizza, not a dough-based casserole delivery system.

1 hour ago, Underdog said:

Giordani's or Gino's East have them in some grocery stores. Can't remember which, but I saw one at a Walmart in Iowa not long ago. It was pretty good. Probably not as good as having them shipped, I'm sure. Also saw Uno's frozen pizza yesterday in HEB on Burnet. Didn't grab one, though. 

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

That's nuts.  I go

Cheese (the gold standard to see what kind of skills the pizza parlor actually has)

how else am I supposed to get my vegetables in?

41 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

That's nuts.  I go

You are making a mistake.

See, there's good pizza -- you know, the good stuff that we get baked in a hot pizza oven, etc.  Margherita is great that way.  A simple tomato and anchovy pie -- great.

Then, there's shitty pizza -- frozen pizza, dominos, etc.  And that IS a topping delivery system.  So, load 'em up!

59 minutes ago, Underdog said:

0006414404276_A?$img_size_380x380$

Been a while, may need to remedy that soon. 

When I was young  (70s) we used to spend a good portion of our summers down in the Islands.  After 3 -4 weeks you would be craving american food and it was a 35 min death defying drive to the worst most un-natural KFC ever.  I think Ocho Rios got a Burger King around '81 or so...  but everything tasted wrong.   We used to pack these in our bags and you would wait until you absolutely had to have it.  Pizza night was amaze-balls!  Do they still have the little can of tomato sauce?  /csb

1 minute ago, Underdog said:

^ no idea on sauce can.  Anyone ever use the Boboli crust, I know we tried that out a time or two, wasn’t bad from what I remember. 

Meh.  It's pretty doughy.  HEB has some packaged thin crusts (store brand) that are pretty decent.  Buy some sauce and cheese, and you can do a decent make-your-own with those.

1 hour ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

Giordani's or Gino's East have them in some grocery stores. Can't remember which, but I saw one at a Walmart in Iowa not long ago. It was pretty good. Probably not as good as having them shipped, I'm sure. Also saw Uno's frozen pizza yesterday in HEB on Burnet. Didn't grab one, though. 

heb used to carry gino's east when it was open.  liked to add an extra layer of pepperoni on top with about 15 minutes to go. 

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm all about the big 3 -- dough, sauce, cheese.  All have to be great.  Everything else is pretty much a distraction.

Again, on a real pizza, you're right.

On a chain/frozen pizza, you're wrong.

So, you're half right -- wanna damn trophy or somethin'?  I mean, to be fair, that puts you in, like, the top 5% of Surly posters, but I damn you with faint praise.

8 hours ago, Underdog said:

Yep the last couple years it seems the quality keeps slipping on the screamin' Sicilian brand.  I'm still in the California pizza kitchen brand for tastiest camp

On December 12, 2019 at 9:00 AM, Viper said:

hey man, enjoy paying $20 for pizza when you could have almost as good for $5 with a little forethought. I will admit I don't have a bunch of little kids in my house so it's certainly easier to placate my one preteen while it thaws.

though if you do order, I found a trick  on the dominos app for cheaper 8 topping pizzas. If you get a large 8 topping regularly it will be over $23. But if you instead order a pacific veggie pizza, then remove the veggie toppings you don't want, and replace them with meat or whatever toppings you do want it comes out to $12.99 if you use the specialty pizza coupon.

You eat Domino's pizza? Do you actually like it or do you live in a pizza desert where you have no other options?

23 hours ago, Underdog said:

0006414404276_A?$img_size_380x380$

Been a while, may need to remedy that soon. 

My family started with Chef Boyardee then switched to Appian Way. They're fairly similar. Get some Hormel pepperoni and Kraft mozzarella cheese for toppings. My mom used to brown some ground beef then strain it and top the pizza with it before putting it in the oven. Then she just started putting flattened clumps of ground beef on the pizza that would thoroughly cook while the pizza baked.  

I think the Romeo's Pizza chain's sauce tastes a lot like Chef Boyardee's. 

16 hours ago, Dewey said:

Pull out of freezer, crushed red pepper, into the oven, any kind.

You thaw a frozen pizza around me and we're going to have some words. The wait for the oven to heat up is long enough. Damn you 450!

i need to try letting it heat up longer.  that preheat light goes off prematurely. 

22 minutes ago, Viper said:

how the fuck did we get food snobs in a thread about frozen pizzas?

I mean, you literally posted an instruction set involving thawing your frozen pizza and drizzling it with olive oil and spices, and cooking it on a pizza stone. But you're accusing OTHER people of being a food snob in a frozen pizza thread? 

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 7

i need to try letting it heat up longer.  that preheat light goes off prematurely. 

I haven’t tried it with a frozen pizza but for frozen French fries and chicken strips, put them in a cold oven right when you turn it on to preheat. When the preheat buzzer goes off, they’re done or only 1-2 minutes away. It is not only faster but it results in a lot more even cook than putting them in a preheated oven.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

I mean, you literally posted an instruction set involving thawing your frozen pizza and drizzling it with olive oil and spices, and cooking it on a pizza stone. But you're accusing OTHER people of being a food snob in a frozen pizza thread? 

giphy.gif

I think there's a difference between offering ways to make some cheap food taste even better and criticizing someone for ordering pizza delivery instead of candalari's, star, or fucking dolce vita. I'm not telling you to reach in your purse and grab the black truffle oil that you take with you everywhere, I'm just suggesting, throw some garlic and whatever you like on it and cook it on a higher temperature and it comes out really good.

3 minutes ago, Viper said:

I think there's a difference between offering ways to make some cheap food taste even better and criticizing someone for ordering pizza delivery instead of candalari's, star, or fucking dolce vita. I'm not telling you to reach in your purse and grab the black truffle oil that you take with you everywhere, I'm just suggesting, throw some garlic and whatever you like on it and cook it on a higher temperature and it comes out really good.

Don’t you accuse me of being a truffle oil carrying faget, sir. I’m team Tombstone frozen sans pizza stone. I’m simply pointing out that to some people, your efforts and fancy kitchen technology might’ve be akin foodie-esque snobbery in a thread designed to revel in the cheapest of eats. No one goes to McDonalds and then dresses it up to masquerade as   A burger from Christian’s Totem (RIP). 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Viper said:

how the fuck did we get food snobs in a thread about frozen pizzas?

You didn't answer my question. I'd rather eat frozen pizza than Domino's. You mentioned twice that you serve Domino's to your son and I thought maybe we should place a call to CPS.

I'm lucky to have a lot of pizza options. I'd rather go pick up a pizza at a mom & pop joint than order delivery from a national chain where they're selling convenience instead of quality. My favorite place has one of their three stores less than 10 minutes away. When they're not busy, it takes 15 minutes to make my pizza so I can have it as fast as Domino's promises. But if I had to order delivery from one of the big national chains then Domino's would probably be at the bottom of my list. So I was just wondering if it was by choice or because you had no other options.

Not a Screamin' Sicilian fan. Every one I've tried sucked. DiGiorno is the premium frozen benchmark. Tombstone is the D2 leader closely followed by Red Baron and after that it's battle of the least shitty juco pizza. 

On the fresh, ready to bake offerings, Papa Murphy's and Walmart's Marketside ain't bad.

Ate a truckload of those Stouffer's French Bread pizzas growing up. Wore out a couple toaster ovens.

Edited by RPM

Not a Screamin' Sicilian fan. Every one I've tried sucked. DiGiorno is the premium frozen benchmark. Tombstone is the D2 leader closely followed by Red Baron and after that it's battle of the least shitty juco pizza. 
On the fresh, ready to bake offerings, Papa Murphy's and Walmart's Marketside ain't bad.
Ate a truckload of those Stouffer's French Bread pizzas growing up. Wore out a couple toaster ovens.

Screamin Sicilian looks better than it turns out.

Seriously, the store brand thin crusts are great. Home Run Inn is also good. Tombstone is strong, as is the Heb version. And we dig Red Baron.

But man...now I’m jonesing for a shitty Torino’s.

On 12/10/2019 at 1:08 PM, Carl Spackler said:

This company also does a bacon & jalapeno one that I just happened to pick up last night.  I didn't care for the "bourbon BBQ sauce" -- too damn sweet.  Everything else about it was fine. 

I feel like if you don't like the sauce it kind of ruins the pizza in general.