Frozen Pizza - Because sometimes is just sounds good.

Landomatic

16 minutes ago, elfenix said:

the ingredient list says 'cheddar, swiss, and provolone."  so, yes, provel. 

Which is odd, because their website claims a "proprietary 3-cheese blend" that includes mozzarella.

At any rate, it's probably quite St. Louis-y, which means most people outside of MO/IL will hate it.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Which is odd, because their website claims a "proprietary 3-cheese blend" that includes mozzarella.

At any rate, it's probably quite St. Louis-y, which means most people outside of MO/IL will hate it.

it says mozzarella on it as well. 

I like a frozen pizza. I also would never order Domino's when other options are available. But sorry, a Domino's pan pizza is easily much better than any frozen pizza I've ever sampled, and I've sampled most. Domino's quality has gone way up since they changed CEOs a few years ago. It's not great but.. come on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Jimmy showed us StL pizza on another thread with this nauseating looking synthetic mozzarella/provolone (Provel?).  That looks pretty good, though.

Was pretty tasty brother especially with wine. Came in handy while putting together a Frozen doll house. Dont hate. We've all been there.

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Jimmy showed us StL pizza on another thread with this nauseating looking synthetic mozzarella/provolone (Provel?).  That looks pretty good, though.

It's not synthetic, it's just a stupid mix of a variety of cheeses (cheddar, swiss and provelone), none of which belong on a pizza.  You get used to it, because that's what's available, although now the options have opened up to include actual pizza.

Some shops add liquid smoke.  The mind boggles.

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

It's not synthetic, it's just a stupid mix of a variety of cheeses (cheddar, swiss and provelone), none of which belong on a pizza.  You get used to it, because that's what's available, although now the options have opened up to include actual pizza.

Haven’t taken a Papa Murphys pizza home in years because they use cheddar in their cheese blend. I just can’t do it on pizza

On 12/11/2019 at 3:59 AM, SimonBolivar said:

Anyone else cook Totinos in a microwave in college? If you thought it was bad in the oven then you have to try gooey mess it becomes in a microwave.

The fuck? Does anyone think they're bad in the oven?? They're goddamn amazing!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

My shorthand term for pasteurized processed cheese food is "synthetic."

• Like 1

So I went to Central Market and picked up a Dogtown "Tomato, Basil & Garlic" pie.  It was decent.  There was a definite St. Louis funk to the taste because of the cheese blend.  Crust and sauce were good for frozen pizza.

But, at $8.99, it's no better than the HEB Thin Crust or Palermo pizzas that cost less than half that amount.

• Like 1

On 12/16/2019 at 11:15 AM, jimmyjazz said:

Actually, provolone is an acceptable pizza cheese.

• 6 months later...
On 12/12/2019 at 11:19 AM, elfenix said:

heb used to carry gino's east when it was open.  liked to add an extra layer of pepperoni on top with about 15 minutes to go. 

heb still does, at least the heb at burnet/2222.  started taking these things down on the reg about two months ago.  sits in your belly like a delicious 2 lb sleeping pill.  always totino’s for thin crust but this is definitely the best I have found for deep dish. 

BEB6F838-57BF-4176-8E0F-BE8C311E7E9A.png

3 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Been doing the H‑E‑B deli pizza every other week during quarantine. Arguably the best $5 pie you can get.

Haven't been to Randall's in forever, but they used to do their large deli pizzas for $5 on Fridays. Any variety. Dress them up a bit and they were quite good. 

Edited by Deej

Been doing the H‑E‑B deli pizza every other week during quarantine. Arguably the best $5 pie you can get.

Large HEB deli pizza is $10 here. Small is $7 iirc so I haven't gotten one. There's also an HCF option.

Walmart deli pizzas I've gotten were pretty decent

12 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Used to do that all the time. $5 pie and go nuts on my own toppings

If it’s been mentioned I missed it. Our goto is Newman’s Own. Either pepperoni or cheese. Best grocery store pizza I’ve had. I’ve seen Gino’s East at Kroger - will have to get one next time.

Torino’s is a staple.

Last one - I know it’s not grocery store pizza but it came to us frozen. Zuppardi’s Apizza. 6 pack. If you’re big into pizza do yourself a favor and check it out. Oh but beware they are on a huge back order. Placed my order in early May and got it a week ago. Now they’re out to October for shipping on orders today.

https://www.goldbelly.com/zuppardis-apizza/choose-your-own-new-haven-style-pizza-6-pack?ref=category

• Like 1