Frozen Pizza - Because sometimes is just sounds good.

Landomatic

tell me about these heb deli pizzas.  you make your own pie?  they give you the dough, you smash it, you pound it, you fling it up in the air, and then you get to put your sauce and you get to sprinkle your cheese and THEN you slide it into the oven?  it’s all supervised?

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, futureman said:

tell me about these heb deli pizzas.  you make your own pie?  they give you the dough, you smash it, you pound it, you fling it up in the air, and then you get to put your sauce and you get to sprinkle your cheese and THEN you slide it into the oven?  it’s all supervised?

16" of par-baked dough with deli sized pepperoni, cheese, and sauce is what's sold here. 

002139801-1.jpg.4271e7c8b1431d737c0a398563c81243.jpg

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

This intrigues me

Interesting back story.  Husband and wife, started with a food blog in Austin that I used to read.  They built a pizza oven in the back yard, and started having pizza parties.  Expanded to catering and then farmer’s markets in Austin, then commercial.  They make a high end dough, par bake the crust, add ingredients and flash freeze it.  It’s as close to an “artisan” frozen pizza as I’ve had.  More expensive, but worth it

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

I've tried many of the suggestion on here.  If I can't get my hand on the above mentioned fresh HEB pizza for HEB PLUS,   this is my standby

7192147763_box.jpg

This is not a bad choice — you just have to get the crust very crispy because it is so thin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Strolling through the frozen food aisle the other day, saw a Ginos East deep dish for the first time (or noticed for the first time).

Baked it last night.  Somewhat surprisingly, the crust came out pretty well, but the sauce was pretty bland.  Kind of opposite of what I expected.

A bit disappointing.

18 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Strolling through the frozen food aisle the other day, saw a Ginos East deep dish for the first time (or noticed for the first time).

Baked it last night.  Somewhat surprisingly, the crust came out pretty well, but the sauce was pretty bland.  Kind of opposite of what I expected.

A bit disappointing.

Someone mentioned the Gino's East frozen at HEB upthread.  I've been wanting to try one.  Might not, now.

I've ordered frozen Lou Malnati's online and they turned out pretty good all the way around.  Certainly not as good as getting one fresh-made at the source, but better than I expected.  You can get a 4-pack delivered for ~$100 which isn't cheap but, if I think about the fact that a Conan's large Savage is $28 (after coupon), it's not crazy, either. 

On 7/30/2020 at 6:20 PM, midtown said:
On 7/30/2020 at 5:44 PM, ss13 said:
Not frozen, but refrigerated. Pretty damn good from Walmart. One person could demolish one if so desired ($5). 
a58425ed-ed2f-4e4b-8a2b-3035281e6689-2-53fd346fe0f6d62047decf6cc5049d64.jpg

Hamburger, chicken, pepperoni, japs 

I demolish those on occasion. Walmart makes a damn good pizza.

I think Walmart's fried chicken is underrated.  Will have to give this a shot. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, utee94 said:

Someone mentioned the Gino's East frozen at HEB upthread.  I've been wanting to try one.  Might not, now.

I've ordered frozen Lou Malnati's online and they turned out pretty good all the way around.  Certainly not as good as getting one fresh-made at the source, but better than I expected.  You can get a 4-pack delivered for ~$100 which isn't cheap but, if I think about the fact that a Conan's large Savage is $28 (after coupon), it's not crazy, either. 

We've done both Lou's or Giordano's through delivery/shipping, we prefer Lou's.  We've gone through Taste of Chicago and have done the pizza and Italian beef sandwiches also, really like the Italian beef. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/17/2020 at 8:59 AM, utee94 said:

Except the sausage one is AWFUL. The mail-order cheese is really the only one worth it, imo. 

We've enjoyed a couple Giordano's pizzas in the last few months.  One frozen that we cooked at home and one fresh we did takeout from a location here in Indy.  Both were good.  Deep dish isn't my favorite, but every once in a while it hits the spot.  I've been eyeing Gino's East in the frozen section at Kroger... but based off of this thread I'll save some money and stick to other favorites. 

2 hours ago, Underdog said:

I think Walmart's fried chicken is underrated.  Will have to give this a shot. 

Been to many a funeral in small towns where the meal afterward was fried chicken from Wally World and homemade sides courtesy of the ladies at the local church.  Always turned out good in my experiences.  

2 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Except the sausage one is AWFUL. The mail-order cheese is really the only one worth it, imo. 

Sausage is our favorite from Lou's, never been a big fan of pepperoni pizza but I'll eat it cause it's pizza. 

1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

Been to many a funeral in small towns where the meal afterward was fried chicken from Wally World and homemade sides courtesy of the ladies at the local church.  Always turned out good in my experiences.  

Bought it for work potluck once and it was a big hit.  

On 7/16/2020 at 9:44 PM, AustinMT said:

Bola, a local Austin product sold in teh frozen pizza section at HEB and Central Market

spacer.png

spacer.png

was just taking a gander at this thread to see what people liked, because we really liked these Bola pizzas that showed up during the pandemic and now we're in a different fucking state. I think all of the Bola pizzas that i had were pretty good, but the Lamb one and the Texana were particularly good.

does HEB even have fried chicken?  the stores that did have hot deli ripped those out in favor of meal simple and new stores don't have hot deli. 

walmart deli adjacent pizza is pretty good.  used to get the 3 meat fire-baked version a couple times a month. 

i always liked the geno's east pies and saw they came back to my HEBs in different packaging recently.  i'd toss more pep on it with about 12 minutes left.  though i now have enough pizza making equipment i should just make my own. 

Edited by elfenix

Randall’s deli near me (Memorial and Beltway) kicks the shit out of Bunker Hill HEB. I don’t get what they are doing at Bunker Hill. They went to the trouble of installing a bbq counter that was pretty decent. Ripped that out and half if it went to coolers for Meal Simple and half is still covered with plastic.

does HEB even have fried chicken?  the stores that did have hot deli ripped those out in favor of meal simple and new stores don't have hot deli. 
walmart deli adjacent pizza is pretty good.  used to get the 3 meat fire-baked version a couple times a month. 
i always liked the geno's east pies and saw they came back to my HEBs in different packaging recently.  i'd toss more pep on it with about 12 minutes left.  though i now have enough pizza making equipment i should just make my own. 

They had killer fried chicken back in the 90s. Spicy 8-piece for $4.99 was the tits!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

The Mid Town Pancetta pizza at HEB for its pice is one of the best frozen pizza’s I’ve ever had.   The cheese is high quality, the Pancetta is salty and a bit sweet, grilled onions and the crust is really good also.   I was pleasantly surprised, it could use a bit more toppings though. 

Edited by Hook1997

Wife has gotten a couple of the Malnati's frozen pies before when visiting that area.  They're ok, but such a far cry from fresh that it doesn't seem worth it.

I'd rather have a fresh pizza from any of our local places (including the damn gas station).