Frozen Pizza - Because sometimes is just sounds good.

Landomatic

The wife and I usually have a couple of the cheese costco frozen pizzas in the outdoor fridge, and just dress them up by adding some other ingredients, sausage, hame, chicken, shrooms, cheese or whatever.  But she found some frozen pizza dough at HEB, and for us, it's likely a game changer.  That and the fact that after all these years I could have been managing my homemade pizzas MUCH more easily, with a little parchment paper!!!  Flash point 451 degrees.

Anyhow the dough is frozen, you let it thaw, shape and add your fresh ingredients, and it's pretty damn good.  There was so much stuff on it that we almost needed to overcook it at 425 degrees, thus the crispy crust.  For years when we used to make fresh pizza with the kiddos, I was always battling the getting the raw dough off the wooden pizza paddle and onto the cooking stone. In the past this was accomplished usually with a lot of corn starch, and with occasional fubar.  I will never use the cornstarch again and instead will simply keep my oven temp below 450 and use parchment paper.  Easy and allows me to easily slide the dough onto the stone, easily rotate the pizza in the oven, and makes for easy removal as well.

Anyhow since the dough was frozen I am saying this qualifies.  Since I haven't eaten a non-altered frozen pizza in probably 10 years.

spacer.png

B18E1E20-44FD-49E7-9139-3F9B1DC72E8C.jpeg

Edited by horn4life
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Drool 2

49 minutes ago, BlueGreySky said:

I can pretty much smash an entire Casey's pepperoni pizza in one sitting.  I do think the Taco pizza is overrated though.

The problem with taco pizza is that it doesn't keep for shit. 

Casey's sausage or beef pizzas dipped in ranch packets and washed down with a Busch Light is about the zenith of stereotypical rural Iowan behavior and I'm certainly not above it.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Wife has gotten a couple of the Malnati's frozen pies before when visiting that area.  They're ok, but such a far cry from fresh that it doesn't seem worth it.

I'd rather have a fresh pizza from any of our local places (including the damn gas station).

3 hours ago, BlueGreySky said:

Casey's? 

Haha was just about to ask the same.  Haven't had one in about 30 years, but back in the day, Casey’s made a pretty damn good pizza, despite the gas station part.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Haha was just about to ask the same.  Haven't had one in about 30 years, but back in the day, Casey’s made a pretty damn good pizza, despite the gas station part.

They still do.  Nothing earth shattering, but it's consistent and high quality.

Which is kind of amazing because they seem to universally employ the biggest fucking mouth breathers.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, horn4life said:

I was always battling the getting the raw dough off the wooden pizza paddle and onto the cooking stone. In the past this was accomplished usually with a lot of corn starch, and with occasional fubar.  I will never use the cornstarch again and instead will simply keep my oven temp below 450 and use parchment paper. 

If you cook pizzas frequently, look at getting a pizza screen, they make all the handling easy and you can go as high on temp as your dough needs.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...

Browsing through the frozen pizza aisle at the grocery store yesterday I saw a cardboard box of Totino’s Party Pizza and got my hopes up that they were bringing back the classic packaging. But no, it was a “Party Pack” containing four separate pizzas so using the box as a makeshift pizza peel and cutting board wouldn’t work unless it was for an actual party. I don’t have children so that’s a party I’ll never host. 

• 1 month later...
On 12/18/2020 at 7:13 PM, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Anyone had this? Buddy just recommended it, apparently Walmart carries it. Never seen it before. 

spacer.png

I have purchased several styles of these the last few weeks at HEB.  If you like thick crust, this is the brand of frozen pizza for you.    Highly recommend.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
1 hour ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

$13 for two at Costco now. Had one tonight, pretty damn good. Only 21 minutes to cook. 

The crust is really good but the toppings aren’t great and there aren’t enough.  Good base of crust/sauce/cheese to add your own toppings on top and have a good frozen pizza though. 

On 3/30/2021 at 2:20 PM, Brisketexan said:

Know how I know you've eaten 7-11 food while wasted?

We were at my sisters a few months ago, her kids were cranky, and she shoved a card  in my hand and said I really need you to go get a pizza right now.  Sure.  Call it in and I’ll pick up.  No just go to 7-11.  Really?  Yes, we have one of the new experimental 7-11s with high brow shit, the pizza is actually really good and you can go get it and be back in five minutes.  Okie Dokie.  TLDR: it was an above average pizza and I had the option to pick up a bottle of Silver Oak Cab to pair with it if I had wanted to go that route.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/12/2022 at 9:00 PM, Firemans4Horn said:

The crust is really good but the toppings aren’t great and there aren’t enough.  Good base of crust/sauce/cheese to add your own toppings on top and have a good frozen pizza though. 

Have you had the 3-meat? Hard to say this isn’t enough toppings. 

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1

Not a fan of DiGiorno at all. I’d still eat Totino’s if they’d go back to the cardboard box. I grew up on Tony’s but I usually go with Red Baron. I still get a Tony’s from time to time just for the sake of nostalgia. That’s where I got turned on to the flaky pastry style crust. I haven’t tried Newman’s Own but everything else I’ve tried from that brand has been great so I’m sure it’s good too. California Pizza Kitchen looks thin and way overpriced. It might be good but it doesn’t look like it’s worth it. I don’t have to drive far to get an actual pizza from a pizza joint and if the price for a frozen pizza is half the cost of that then it’s horribly overpriced. I’m not paying $10 for a frozen pizza when I can get this for $20:

93E03966-5D3D-421E-921E-5B6AD994DA3F.thumb.jpeg.ce758f227aa759cae9d8e9649026aec7.jpeg

Oh wait, my mistake. That one runs for about $22. This one runs for about $20:

0B2AC35C-775A-4076-9039-E7BDEF1B3CFF.thumb.jpeg.e3571ab2fa82a0eb56778f1080ce0c02.jpeg

Edited by WhatTheBuck

On 2/5/2022 at 6:22 PM, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Have you had the 3-meat? Hard to say this isn’t enough toppings. 

spacer.png

I'm onto the Motor Cities. The supreme is fucking legit, about as close to the perfect ratio of chewy yet crisp deep dish crust that I've found. Love em.

• Like 1

Once Paul Newman died his foundation became a scam operation. I don't purchase any Newman's Own goods because they're run by fucking assholes who've pilfered and abused what used to be a good charity. I used to know his daughter and she fought a battle against them for years but ended up losing the fight.

If you're curious about the kirkland brand of frozen pizza because it's like 4 pizzas for $8, it pretty much sucks.

On 2/7/2022 at 8:51 AM, Js1 said:

My go-to is the take and bakes from HEB - get the cheese one and put my own toppings on it.  

We do this too.  So much fuggin cheese, lol

Wife doesn't eat pork or beef, so we typically will buy a pack of turkey pepperoni and throw some sliced mushrooms and onions on it.

I'm a sucker for the Stouffers French bread pizzas....grew up eating them.  Red Baron has a decent French bread too.

Edited by Tylerocks

23 hours ago, Chopper said:

Once Paul Newman died his foundation became a scam operation. I don't purchase any Newman's Own goods because they're run by fucking assholes who've pilfered and abused what used to be a good charity. I used to know his daughter and she fought a battle against them for years but ended up losing the fight.

Interesting. That’s news to me. I still buy his roasted garlic spaghetti sauce when I’m not buying local or making my own. It tastes great and is reasonably priced. 

2 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Interesting. That’s news to me. I still buy his roasted garlic spaghetti sauce when I’m not buying local or making my own. It tastes great and is reasonably priced. 

Yeah after Newman died the Foundation fell into the hands of a friend who was running it with Newman while he was still alive. Once the friend had sole control as CEO, Newman's daughters accused him of wasting assets and running the Foundation for his personal benefit. Newman died in 2008 and the feud went public in 2015. I haven't heard anything more about it but in looking for an article to link here for anything updated since 2015, I see the guy who took over as CEO was ousted in 2019 for sexual harassment of multiple employees. https://pagesix.com/2019/07/13/paul-newmans-daughter-previously-bashed-foundations-ousted-ceo/

tldr I guess it's safe for me to buy Newman's Own stuff once again.