Former B12 Teams ~ Better Off?

Cairn Horn88

23 minutes ago, Cornfusion said:

The good news is that you won't be faced with that decision to make.

Oh, there's plenty of dumbfucks around who would love for UT to join the PAC.  Because running away when your coaching is a shitshow and your main rival keeps handing you your ass far too often is what such illustrious programs like Nebraska and aggy do.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Oh, there's plenty of dumbfucks around who would love for UT to join the PAC.  Because running away when your coaching is a shitshow and your main rival keeps handing you your ass far too often is what such illustrious programs like Nebraska and aggy do.

Yup. Leaving conferences would do nothing to solve our issues of shitty coaching hires. No different than Mizzou, Neb, A&M, and CU. You just end up equally mediocre with a different schedule. 

• Like 1

Because running away when your coaching is a shitshow and your main rival keeps handing you your ass far too often

You DO mean Oklahoma when you say "main rival"...right?  Because that was who it was LONG before the Big 12 was even a thing.  Oklahoma / Nebraska often had National Champion implications during the Big 8 years which added to the hype.  Much more so than the Texas / Texas A&M game means to you guys even.

As far as shitty coaching, staying in a league that pays less with a bunch of guys that drove their last conference into the ditch doesn't trump moving to a conference that pays more and is infinitely more stable.  Mike Riley and Bill Callahan's staff would suck wherever Nebraska found themselves.  We just are getting paid more to suck.

Edited by Cornfusion

17 minutes ago, Cornfusion said:

You DO mean Oklahoma when you say "main rival"...right?  Because that was who it was LONG before the Big 12 was even a thing.  Oklahoma / Nebraska often had National Champion implications during the Big 8 years which added to the hype.  Much more so than the Texas / Texas A&M game means to you guys even.

As far as shitty coaching, staying in a league that pays less with a bunch of guys that drove their last conference into the ditch doesn't trump moving to a conference that pays more and is infinitely more stable.  Mike Riley and Bill Callahan's staff would suck wherever Nebraska found themselves.  We just are getting paid more to suck.

I understand and do not blame Nebraska for leaving the conference, but you have to admit, it hasn’t quite worked out as planned.  Some of the Nebraska fan I know thought Nebraska was going to assume the role as one of the power brokers of the conference when, in fact, they really operated at a much lower position.  From a football standpoint, they are clearly mid level in their division which is not a strong division.   I do think, rivalries can be developed with Iowa and Wisconsin, but as long a Nebraska is mediocre, the rivalry will not be that intense compared to the rivalries in the Old Big 8.  The Big 10 really screwed NU when it came to get conference distributions for media rights.   Long term, NU will be better off financially in the Big 10 compared to the Big 12 and, I guess if that is the measuring stick, then NU should be happy.   Personally, I miss the rivalries with the exiting teams of the Big 12, particularly the old Big 8 schools. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cornfusion said:

Nebraska is getting paid a lot more in the B1G to be equally mediocre...so there is that.

Nebraska as they exit the B12 and trash everything whilst showing their asses on their way out: "Texas only cares about money and that's why we had to leave."

Also Nebraska: "We're getting paid a lot more to suck in the B1G, so in your face, Texas."

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Thiefery said:

What hurts Nebraska is not being able to take in 5th grade reading level kids anymore and getting them qualified to enroll.  Mizzu still recruits the state.

aren't these basically one and the same

6 hours ago, 66BUFF said:

CU almost went to the PAC 10 back in the early 90's.  I think it was around the same time that the PAC was trying to get Texas 

I can remember my dad talking about Colorado to the Pac 8 back in the 70's

12 hours ago, UTEX90 said:

By the way, Arkansas has been irrelevant in the SEC in 28 years and I think it is largely due to losing a recruiting footprint in Texas. 

This is the single biggest reason we should tell aggy to fuck off even if they actually had the cojones to play us. Fuck giving them another Texas recruiting tool. And of course, just fuck aggy.

• Like 2

Nebraska as they exit the B12 and trash everything whilst showing their asses on their way out: "Texas only cares about money and that's why we had to leave."
Also Nebraska: "We're getting paid a lot more to suck in the B1G, so in your face, Texas."

This is the very reason I will eternally root against both schools. Buncha hypocrites who love to blame others (mainly UT) for their problems. Being introspective must be extraordinarily difficult in those 2 places.
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Cornfusion said:

You seem to be confused about how much less money we make, and that’s easy since the media never mentions it.  The amounts the Big 12 reports does not include third tier media money, which is significant for schools like Texas and Kansas.  We usually get ~ $15M from LHN.

1 hour ago, cochamps said:

You seem to be confused about how much less money we make, and that’s easy since the media never mentions it.  The amounts the Big 12 reports does not include third tier media money, which is significant for schools like Texas and Kansas.  We usually get ~ $15M from LHN.

It’s underreported when Nebraska fans blame UT that Kansas has always been complicit in the T3 non sharing. There is a lot of non conference basketball content against directional schools that alumni will pay to see when the season opens to a 2-7 football team that’s just playing out the string.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Cornfusion said:

Nebraska is getting paid a lot more in the B1G to be equally mediocre...so there is that.

Not a criticism of you, but your average college football fan doesn’t give a shit about whether their team is pulling in $20 million or $40 million for being in a particular conference - they only care about wins and rivalries.   We toss dollar signs around on places like Surly, /cfb, Twitter, etc. but 90%+ of fans just don’t give a fuck.   One of my brothers-in-law, his dad and uncle went to Nebraska.  Granted, I’ve only known them since around 2010 or 2011, and I only see them once or twice over the summer, and around Thanksgiving, but they’ve  never been truly happy with Nebraska football in the time I’ve known them, and they are in their 60s, so I know they saw Some of Nebraska’s glory days .  They are missing the rivalries with the Big 8 teams, and they don’t like being a mid-tier team in their division.  Not conference, but division.  Hell, not long after I met them, I think their sole Big 10 championship chance happened, and they were embarrassed by a mediocre Wisconsin team.  It’s all been downhill from there.   They would gladly give up B1G to come back to teams they liked to play, and that they could actually travel for (they both live here in Texas).  

2 hours ago, cochamps said:

Yes, this. Not to mention, what Nebraska would make in the Big 12 in 2019 is speculation, since everything related to Big 12 media rights that's transpired since then has done so in a Nebraska-less version of the conference (not to mention the subtraction of A&M, Colorado, and Missouri).

I'm not a Nebraska fan, so I'm not typing this with one hand while fingering my butthole with the other, but I look at what Nebraska had in the Big 12 and what it has in the Big Ten and I'm baffled any Nebraska fan would prefer their current situation when the #1 justification is always, "our athletic department gets paid marginally more for its TV rights than it otherwise would have". 

This is what you guys sound like, to me, when you brag about how great life in the Big Ten is:

lemon.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Yes, this. Not to mention, what Nebraska would make in the Big 12 in 2019 is speculation, since everything related to Big 12 media rights that's transpired since then has done so in a Nebraska-less version of the conference (not to mention the subtraction of A&M, Colorado, and Missouri).

I'm not a Nebraska fan, so I'm not typing this with one hand while fingering my butthole with the other, but I look at what Nebraska had in the Big 12 and what it has in the Big Ten and I'm baffled any Nebraska fan would prefer their current situation when the #1 justification is always, "our athletic department gets paid marginally more for its TV rights than it otherwise would have". 

This is what you guys sound like, to me, when you brag about how great life in the Big Ten is:

lemon.jpg

Don't forget there are transfers between Big 10 schools down to the level of gate receipts to "equalize" athletics revenues. People looking at media revenues as a measure of net revenue are going about it wrong. As a large Big 10 school, Nebraska is unquestionably paying out equalization money, not receiving it as additional revenue.

4 hours ago, VolenteHawk said:

It’s underreported when Nebraska fans blame UT that Kansas has always been complicit in the T3 non sharing. There is a lot of non conference basketball content against directional schools that alumni will pay to see when the season opens to a 2-7 football team that’s just playing out the string.

Considering that it's been voted on, I'd say most of the schools in the league have been complicit. Texas just gets blamed for being the primary canvasser on the issues the losers cried about. 

Edited by Hookah Horns
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hookah Horns said:

Considering that it's been voted on, I'd say most of the schools in the league have been complicit. Texas just gets blamed for being the primary canvasser on the issues the losers cried about. 

I wonder if it's as simple as, the schools that left the conference just didn't get to Rochambeau us often enough. Because the schools that stayed sure seem to. 

The exodus crew's thing was in part "getting out from UT's shadow", even if implied rather than stated. Baylor, Baylor's like "why the fuck would we want to go anywhere else? Texas draws money and we kick their asses in everything frequently, this is great". 

16 hours ago, Cornfusion said:

Yeah, I think to answer the question of if the defectors are better off one would have to know what they hoped to achieve by leaving.  And they're all making more money, correct?  And I'm told that the B1G move has spurred a lot of new construction on campus in Lincoln.  As has been mentioned all the CU Californians are presumably happy about CU being in the PAC footprint now.  And aTm can tell the world they publicly told UT to fuck off...which I guess they enjoy?  Seems like a pyrrhic victory to me but whatever.

There are a lot of reasons to be in an athletic conference that don't have anything to do with winning.  Just look at Missouri.

Its 9am. You kick at 11am against a school you have a decade of history against. You got no fucking shot at the title game (and its October), and the best you can hope for is a 3rd straight trip to Memphis in December...thats when you pull out the johnson and start the “but our revenues man” circle jerk. The revenues!?!? You argue as if you personally benefit. Pfft. Satisfied you easily get in the stadium to find your seat. Watch the first half, then fuck it lets just go back and drink. Do that 6 times a year for a decade. Unless you are aggy, then you take your asswhoppin standing up. 

That must be getting old. 

• Like 1

I understand and do not blame Nebraska for leaving the conference, but you have to admit, it hasn’t quite worked out as planned.

Nothing works out when a team goes 13-23 the last three years.  However, thinking that we wouldn't have nosedived just as spectacularly if we would have stayed in the Big 12 is a head scratcher.  Among other teams that haven't done as well since Colorado, Missouri, Texas A&M, and Nebraska have left is...Texas.  Just because two events happen concurrently doesn't mean one caused the other.

Not a criticism of you, but your average college football fan doesn’t give a shit about whether their team is pulling in $20 million or $40 million for being in a particular conference - they only care about wins and rivalries

Well then, let's look at wins and rivalries.

Are you saying that we would win more games in the Big 12 than we did in the Big 10 over the same years?  If so, why?

As for rivalries, when we could no longer play Oklahoma every year, we became strangers in our own conference.  Nothing to hold us there anymore.

The B1G offered some more money and WAY more stability.  What were the advantages for Nebraska in staying with the Big 12?

They would gladly give up B1G to come back to teams they liked to play, and that they could actually travel for (they both live here in Texas).

I will see your two Nebraska fans you know who live in Texas and want to go back to the Big 12 and raise you several HUNDRED Nebraska fans that I know in Nebraska who say "No way in Hell!"

Where you are doesn't change who you are.  Nebraska will be relevant if and when they start winning big games.  Period.  Personally, I think Frost has hit the bottom of Nebraska's miser index, but just like the "We're BAAAAACCCKKK" there last year in Texas, the optimism of fans can be dashed by reality.  So I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Edited by Cornfusion
added fan opinions

If Nebraska stayed, they would have annual games against Texas and OU.  Every year.  Much bigger games than anything they get in the Big 10.  Those games would mean a lot to every NU fan.  Hated Texas and traditional longterm and storied rivalry game against OU.

Plus all the games against the Old Big 8 teams they have rivalries with.

It was stupid.  I doubt they are making all that much when you factor in all tier 3 revenues.

And the bottom line is they did not leave because of Texas' greed.  Nebraska voted lockstep with Texas and A&M on unequal revenue sharing.  They left because they were 1-9 against Texas and couldn't deal with it.

They would be better off in a 10 team Big 12 where they get Texas and OU every year.

Edited by Johnny Sack
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cornfusion said:

Well then, let's look at wins and rivalries.

Are you saying that we would win more games in the Big 12 than we did in the Big 10 over the same years?  If so, why?

As for rivalries, when we could no longer play Oklahoma every year, we became strangers in our own conference.  Nothing to hold us there anymore.

The B1G offered some more money and WAY more stability.  What was the advantages in staying with the Big 12?

you serious?

recruiting dude...

the real reason you're dead now.

in 2011...the last of the big 12 years in which nebraska actually recruited successfully, they had 7 draft picks including a first rounder and second rounder.

from 96 to 11, they averaged five draft picks a year and 20 of them were first two round selections.

in 2017 they had 1 5th rounder and in 2018, they had 1 6th rounder.  in 2019, they had NO picks for the first time since 1962. 2020 ain't looking promising.

so...about that move to the big 10.

we fucking destroyed your program forever.  enjoy.

Edited by sidis

2 hours ago, SnowAggy said:

Yeah, I think to answer the question of if the defectors are better off one would have to know what they hoped to achieve by leaving.  And they're all making more money, correct?  And I'm told that the B1G move has spurred a lot of new construction on campus in Lincoln.  As has been mentioned all the CU Californians are presumably happy about CU being in the PAC footprint now.  And aTm can tell the world they publicly told UT to fuck off...which I guess they enjoy?  Seems like a pyrrhic victory to me but whatever.

There are a lot of reasons to be in an athletic conference that don't have anything to do with winning.  Just look at Missouri.

The PAC distributes less money per school for all 3 tiers than the B12 does just for T1/2, so Colorado is definitely NOT making more than they would have, had they stayed.

A&M and Mizzou are.

Nebraska, interestingly enough, didn't get a full B1G revenue share until the 2017/2018 schoolyear.  So they too lagged behind where they would have been, had they just stayed, and I believe they still do.  It'll take a few years of full shares to even out the negative delta from the first 7 years in the B1G.

Edited by utee94

we fucking destroyed your program forever.  enjoy.

Actually, that was Nebraska's then chancellor Harvey Perlman and AD Steve Pedersen.  But if it makes you feel better about the break up,then by all means, go with that and tell it to all of your friends as well...even to all of our friends.  Maybe even tell  that the Big 12 was the best thing that ever happened to Nebraska and nobody will ever treat Nebraska as well as the Big 12 did while playing the Connie Francis song "Who's Sorry Now?" over and over.

Nebraska is over the Big 12 and moving on.  Everybody else should be over it by now as well.

Last word is yours.

Edited by Cornfusion

28 minutes ago, Cornfusion said:

Actually, that was Nebraska's then chancellor Harvey Perlman and AD Steve Pedersen.  But if it makes you feel better about the break up,then by all means, go with that and tell it to all of your friends as well...even to all of our friends.  Maybe even tell  that the Big 12 was the best thing that ever happened to Nebraska and nobody will ever treat Nebraska as well as the Big 12 did while playing the Connie Francis song "Who's Sorry Now?" over and over.

Nebraska is over the Big 12 and moving on.  Everybody else should be over it by now as well.

Last word is yours.

You're the Husker fan on a Texas message board.  So...

Obsession Noted

If I’m reading correctly, then big 10 payout now is 54 million for full share. 

big 12 payout is 38.8 million for tier 1/2.  Texas gets something like 15 million for tier 3, for a total of 53.8 million.

so what’s this about Nebraska making a lot more money than Texas?

not sure how much Nebraska lost while getting a partial share from b10 or how much their t3 rights would be worth on the open market.

I would like to see Nebraska and Arkansas come back. The old BIG 8 schools in one division and the SWC schools + WV in another. With OU being the cross rival for Texas and Arkansas for Nebraska. That is what they would get for leaving. Nebraska would not have to deal with us on a yearly basis and they would get their OU rivalry back and we would get Arkansas back. That would be fun.

55 minutes ago, Cornfusion said:

Last word is yours.

it was your god osborne, not perlman and pederson.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20100830/BIGRED/708309872#the-big-ten-decision 

A few key quotes from that article for later use:

Nebraska shared a lot of history with Big 12 schools. Plus, when you get right down to it, Perlman says, Nebraska had no major beefs with the way the Big 12 was run.

Sure, Husker football fans had screamed robbery just 10 days earlier when a second was put back on the clock, allowing Texas to beat Nebraska for the Big 12 title.

Osborne also personally had some longtime concerns about the Texas-centric nature of the Big 12 and the natural advantages of its Sunbelt schools. It certainly wasn’t the same as the old Big Eight, the league in which the legendary coach toiled for decades before it absorbed Texas and three other Southwest Conference schools in the mid-1990s.

Osborne had opposed the relocation of the conference offices from Kansas City to Dallas. He also fought anchoring the conference title game in Dallas, preferring it move between cities in the north and the south.

But Perlman didn’t really share those geographic concerns. In fact, he actually would end up voting to play the title game in Dallas for the next several years. “I wasn’t prepared to sit in Kansas City in the cold,“ Perlman said.

And on the issues of greatest import, “Nebraska was getting largely what it wanted,” Perlman said.

While some schools complained about the league’s unequal distribution of revenue from network TV contracts, Nebraska wasn’t among them. It joined Texas as a strong proponent of giving big-time football schools — those most appealing to the networks — a bigger slice of the pie.

Plus, Perlman said, the Big 12 had just recently completed important conversations about whether to form its own TV network for secondary sports programming, akin to the Big Ten’s.

While many have blamed Texas and its plans to start its own Longhorn TV network as the reason a Big 12 network never got off the ground, Nebraska wasn’t on board with a conference network, either. Nebraska’s support was conditional on the high-profile schools taking a larger cut of that revenue, too — a condition some schools strongly opposed.

As a result of those talks, Nebraska, like Texas, was now moving to create its own network. A consultant’s study had concluded that a Husker network would succeed and bring in seven-figure revenue on top of what Nebraska was getting from major network telecasts.

Perlman said NU was on track to have its network running by the fall of 2011 — actually ahead of Texas’ timetable.

While declaring that they had no Big Ten offer, Osborne and Perlman say they never disclosed they’d met with the Big Ten, nor were they asked about it. “I was never cross-examined,“ Perlman said.

Powers made it clear that if Nebraska stayed, Texas would stay.

Other than Colorado, the other schools being courted by the Pac-10 indicated they’d stay if Texas stayed.

“What’s Nebraska going to do?” became the meeting’s constant refrain, Perlman said.

Osborne also personally had some longtime concerns about the Texas-centric nature of the Big 12 and the natural advantages of its Sunbelt schools. It certainly wasn’t the same as the old Big Eight, the league in which the legendary coach toiled for decades before it absorbed Texas and three other Southwest Conference schools in the mid-1990s.

Osborne had opposed the relocation of the conference offices from Kansas City to Dallas. He also fought anchoring the conference title game in Dallas, preferring it move between cities in the north and the south.

Who writes this bullshit?

The Big 8 did not absorb the Texas schools.  The Big 8 ceased to exist and an entirely new conference was formed with the 12 schools.  They did not absorb the Texas schools.  The league office did not relocate.  It was a brand new conference -- period.  I guess Tom never could admit that to himself.

You could go check the Big 12 record books at any time after the new conference formed.  Nothing was recognized from either the Big 8 or the SWC days.  Nada.

• Like 1

On 12/11/2019 at 10:07 AM, Valmy77 said:

Definitely.  Of course if Arky had not left the SWC I am not sure the Big 12 ever happens.

Or a Big 12 consisting of Arky plus the 3 Texas public schools.  That would have been legit.

I'd love to see Nebraska and Mizzou back.  I loathe both, and that kind of disdain makes the sport great.  I can never feel the same way about a Texas school as I can those clowns.  CU doesn't really fit in with anyone, and they don't have much of a fanbase.  I dont care about Aggy, other than making fun of how fucking ridiculous their entire culture is.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Like 4

21 hours ago, Cornfusion said:

there was an article about a year or two ago that detailed the NU payouts up to about 2018 or 19 when NU was going to finally get a full Big 10 share.....comparing that to known Big 12 payouts NU was about $60 million in the hole up to about 2018 and that was exclusive of any 3rd tire money (and it is of course well published that NU was ahead of Texas in developing their own network which is not saying they would have been PAID the same as Texas)

if you add in even reasonable 3rd tier money then NU was getting closer to about $90 million in the hole

the $10 exit fee, no money the first year in the Big 10 and the extremely reduced payments the first couple of really really added up

the other issue the article mentioned that most people are not aware of is the payments to NU (and now Rutgers and Maryland) were based on what Nebraska was EXPECTED to earn in the Big 12

when the Big 12 was able to sign tier 2 deal with Fox that really added up and then when the Big 12 was able to renegotiate their tier 1 deal with ESPN 3 years early that added up even more

but none of those new deals factored into what the Big 10 was paying Nebraska it was based on the old tier 2 deal with Fox that was expiring and the ESPN tier 1 deal that still had several years left on it

and zero provisions for any potential third tier earnings by Nebraska

it will not be until the final few year or so of the new Big 10 deal that Nebraska evens up and starts making meaningful additional money and that will have been about 15 years from when they left the Big 12 and one has to consider the "cost" of that forgone income over those prior years, but there is really no good way to quantify that and I will say that fortunately for a program like Nebraska that is not as big of a factor as it would be for even CU or programs that really need to maximize revenues every year

On 12/11/2019 at 12:08 PM, crimsonlonghorn said:

It was already said above, but just repeating that it should be immediately obvious that the reason aggy has a better record since leaving is because they play one less conference game and are encouraged by their league to schedule powderpuffs out of conference. 

They get their ass kicked by Bama and LSU every season, go 0.500 in their other conference games, and then beat up on Prairie View and Tarleton and Nicholls and then go lose a bowl because they don't want to be there while bragging how tough their season has been. 

There's your annual 7-6 or 8-5 right there. 

Advantage: aggy

in the Big 12 with aggy for most of the history it was 8 conference games just like the SEC SEC SEC....only their last couple of years were 9 conference games

the only thing that really gives aggy any current edge is the Johnny years and coming out of the Big 12 as an unfamiliar team playing a different style of football

21 hours ago, Cornfusion said:

Show me your athletic department's earnings YOY comparing your last in the Big 12 to what you're making now, corn-aggy. I'm sure most of your fans just love your craptastic "rivalries" with Iowa, Minnesota, and Illinois now, huh? You're funny.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Who writes this bullshit?

The Big 8 did not absorb the Texas schools.  The Big 8 ceased to exist and an entirely new conference was formed with the 12 schools.  They did not absorb the Texas schools.  The league office did not relocate.  It was a brand new conference -- period.  I guess Tom never could admit that to himself.

You could go check the Big 12 record books at any time after the new conference formed.  Nothing was recognized from either the Big 8 or the SWC days.  Nada.

This is accurate, but kinda pedantic. The original Big 12 was comprised of Big 8 and SWC schools.  The entire Big 8 joined.  Half the SWC did. They kept the "Big #" theme.  It sure looks like the Big 8 + Texas schools at a glance.

If they had called it the Great Plains Conference, the optics would have been quite different.  Oddly enough, I think basing the conference identity around the one shared commonality (all schools located between the Mississippi and Rockies), might have engendered a more cohesive attitude.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

2 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

Show me your athletic department's earnings YOY comparing your last in the Big 12 to what you're making now, corn-aggy. I'm sure most of your fans just love your craptastic "rivalries" with Iowa, Minnesota, and Illinois now, huh? You're funny.

Nerbraska fans citing instability that they fucking contributed heavily to will never not be funny.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DFW Horn said:

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

NU

Year Ticket Sales Contributions Rights / Licensing Student Fees School Funds Other Total Revenues
2018 $37,196,606 $16,714,649 $84,405,982 $0 $0 $3,905,989 $142,223,226
2017 $37,258,695 $26,599,584 $52,022,217 $0 $0 $4,324,594 $120,205,090
2016 $37,198,005 $21,518,119 $48,303,151 $0 $0 $5,123,686 $112,142,961
2015 $36,618,329 $19,654,976 $40,746,990 $0 $0 $5,137,104 $102,157,399
2014 $40,450,062 $11,833,760 $39,955,724 $0 $0 $2,558,146 $94,797,692
2013 $32,491,416 $12,657,818 $39,422,253 $0 $0 $2,344,514 $86,916,001
2012 $32,450,880 $9,783,535 $36,919,660 $0 $0 $2,477,177 $81,631,252
2011 $31,716,096 $12,638,521 $35,218,058 $0 $0 $4,107,081 $83,679,756
2010 $31,504,769 $6,103,706 $31,309,933 $0 $0 $4,565,325 $73,483,733
2009 $33,982,799 $5,160,306 $32,436,216 $0 $0 $3,302,062 $74,881,383
2008 $30,560,065 $16,410,663 $26,748,686 $0 $0 $1,773,470 $75,492,884
2007 $28,119,217 $15,021,384 $25,984,184 $0 $0 $1,722,123 $70,846,908
2006 $24,696,256 $11,749,526 $24,238,022 $0 $0 $3,039,733 $63,723,537
2005 $21,578,588 $11,390,228 $21,437,629 $0 $0 $1,469,889

$55,876,334

Texas to compare

Year Ticket Sales Contributions Rights / Licensing Student Fees School Funds Other Total Revenues
2018 $66,771,366 $53,245,181 $88,768,322 $0 $0 $10,617,710 $219,402,579
2017 $72,457,216 $46,019,194 $86,180,263 $0 $0 $10,173,974 $214,830,647
2016 $60,870,893 $42,159,118 $75,014,854 $0 $0 $9,936,293 $187,981,158
2015 $63,288,302 $44,273,349 $62,860,081 $0 $0 $13,099,296 $183,521,028
2014 $53,655,400 $37,633,031 $60,722,436 $0 $0 $9,024,320 $161,035,187
2013 $60,860,735 $37,386,271 $58,771,963 $0 $0 $8,672,517 $165,691,486
2012 $59,207,378 $40,747,347 $53,892,048 $0 $0 $9,448,342 $163,295,115
2011 $61,196,689 $37,337,126 $42,235,860 $0 $0 $9,526,251 $150,295,926
2010 $56,741,662 $37,110,292 $40,852,523 $0 $0 $8,850,877 $143,555,354
2009 $55,394,209 $37,291,370 $36,599,167 $0 $0 $9,174,403 $138,459,149
2008 $44,691,119 $35,057,421 $31,474,843 $1,832,229 $0 $7,232,758 $120,288,370
2007 $44,562,934 $27,190,731 $23,707,231 $1,884,145 $0 $7,703,591 $105,048,632
2006 $34,280,260 $26,507,774 $26,138,688 $1,690,855 $0 $9,139,199 $97,756,776
2005 $33,507,576 $22,324,445 $23,167,106 $1,673,928 $1,353,382 $7,625,245 $89,651,682

KSU as another "random" comparison

2018 $15,598,454 $22,501,877 $43,488,734 $350,000 $0 $4,972,244 $86,911,309
2017 $15,274,064 $22,154,333 $44,149,409 $450,000 $0 $4,053,722 $86,081,528
2016 $15,493,405 $18,087,939 $40,945,574 $500,695 $0 $2,909,051 $77,936,664
2015 $16,347,260 $22,527,463 $34,482,713 $500,695 $361,985 $1,103,162 $75,323,278
2014 $15,654,798 $18,492,032 $33,774,974 $500,695 $847,226 $3,665,319 $72,935,044
2013 $15,077,529 $17,970,185 $32,304,355 $500,695 $1,985,563 $2,618,956 $70,457,283
2012 $14,609,401 $14,806,198 $30,124,278 $640,695 $2,095,238 $995,805 $63,271,615
2011 $14,403,374 $26,503,774 $19,944,237 $710,695 $2,580,956 $5,804,798 $69,947,834
2010 $13,606,196 $16,396,559 $16,446,930 $560,695 $2,674,413 $3,751,997 $53,436,790
2009 $14,141,647 $12,033,138 $14,973,549 $566,752 $2,919,726 $3,782,238 $48,417,050
2008 $14,158,650 $13,029,211 $14,203,069 $573,508 $2,616,051 $4,533,217 $49,113,706
2007 $14,355,406 $12,357,642 $14,013,562 $566,752 $2,467,776 $5,516,240 $49,277,378
2006 $12,469,641 $14,079,775 $11,336,345 $582,352 $1,522,182 $3,421,049 $43,411,343
2005 $12,766,568 $9,691,487 $11,586,257 $566,752 $2,382,288 $2,890,867 $39,884,219

36 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

This is accurate, but kinda pedantic. The original Big 12 was comprised of Big 8 and SWC schools.  The entire Big 8 joined.  Half the SWC did. They kept the "Big #" theme.  It sure looks like the Big 8 + Texas schools at a glance.

If they had called it the Great Plains Conference, the optics would have been quite different.  Oddly enough, I think basing the conference identity around the one shared commonality (all schools located between the Mississippi and Rockies), might have engendered a more cohesive attitude.

I don’t see it as pedantic.  The Big 8 schools needed the Texas schools more than the Texas schools needed the Big 8.  

Proof is in the pudding.  See conferences office.  See conference title games.  See initial commissioner.  See no mas prop 48s

14 hours ago, cochamps said:

In the ESPN+ deal with the Big 12, all schools except UT and OU but gave up its Tier 3 rights for next to nothing.  It makes me question how much money a school like KU was really getting for its Tier 3 rights.