All in the Family/Good Times Live

RPM

Looks like ABC, Jimmy Kimmel and Norman Lear are doing it again. This go round it's Good Times instead of The Jeffersons. Airs next Wednesday at 7.

I thought the last one was pretty good with Woody Harrelson as Archie and Marisa Tomei as Edith. The rest of the cast was decent with the exception of Jamie Foxx who treated it like a bad SNL skit, overacted his ass off and forgot his lines. No cast listed yet, but I'd expect AITF to be mostly the same.

Some casting news.

Kevin Bacon will be one of the newcomers to the second edition of ABC's "Live in Front of a Studio Audience," which will feature episodes of "Family" and "Good Times" re-enacted from scripts of Lear's '70s sitcom hits, ABC announced Wednesday. The holiday outing is scheduled for Dec. 18 (8 EST live/PST taped).

Woody Harrelson and Marisa Tomei will reprise their roles as Archie and Edith Bunker, with Ellie Kemper returning as daughter Gloria and Ike Barinholtz as her husband, Mike Stivic, the network announced. 

Jesse Eisenberg and Justina Machado, who star in a rebooted version of Lear's "One Day at a Time," also join the "Family" cast for the second Lear-Kimmel collaboration. ABC did not reveal which characters Bacon, Eisenberg and Machado will play in the live show, which will be directed by Pam Fryman and Andy Fisher.

Casting for the episode of "Good Times," which starred Esther Rolle, John Amos and Jimmie Walker, will be announced at a later date. 

Good Times cast announced.

“Good Times,” great cast.

The second installment of ABC’s Emmy Award-winning “Live in Front of a Studio Audience” television special featuring a revival of Norman Lear’s iconic 1970s sitcom “Good Times” has some serious star power.

Academy, Emmy and Tony Award winner Viola Davis will star as Florida Evans, and Emmy and Obie Award winner Andre Braugher will play her husband James, ABC announced Thursday.

Former “Saturday Night Live” comic Jay Pharoah will take on the role of their eldest son J.J. Evans, while recent Emmy nominee Asante Blackk will play the family’s youngest child, Michael Evans, in the show that airs Wednesday at 8 p.m.

Corinne Foxx, Jamie Foxx’s daughter, who appears with him on Fox’s “Beat Shazam,” will play Thelma Evans and Emmy Award winner Tiffany Haddish will recreate the role of the family’s fashionable feisty neighbor Willona Woods.

“Good Times” is a spinoff of “Maude,” which was spun off from “All in the Family.” Created by Mike Evans and Eric Monte, the series aired for six seasons from 1974-1979 on CBS. It is recognized as television’s first black family series featuring a two-parent household.

4 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

Where can I watch the already aired specials on demand?

So are they all politically correct now?

Original scripts.

Haven't looked, but if they are anywhere it's ABC on demand or Hulu.

Edited by RPM

I really liked having the Good Times song sang live and with the choir. I don’t know which episode I would have proposed to be used instead (other than having it be a Christmas episode) but I thought their choice of Good Times episode was an odd/random one.

26 minutes ago, mdleast said:

I really liked having the Good Times song sang live and with the choir. I don’t know which episode I would have proposed to be used instead (other than having it be a Christmas episode) but I thought their choice of Good Times episode was an odd/random one.

Yes, the AITF episode is an all-time classic I’ve seen several times.  The GT episode was random.