Carson

RPM

One other thing, the night before this thread was posted I watched an episode where Jack Paar was Johnny's only guest. That was pretty cool. Jack was strong with the storytelling and Johnny was appropriately enthralled. 
Another parallel to Sanders...one of the reasons the final season was so strong was that they had history as a guide. Larry watches Jack Paar's final episode as he's trying to plan his own, and the gag with Clint Black singing to Larry like Bette Midler did to Carson on his final episode was brilliant, imo. (Seriously, best final episode ever.)
best final episode? nope not even close. the you should wear more sweaters one is the best by far and will never be topped.

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Pluto TV has a Johnny Carson channel now.  For all the funny stuff, man there is a lot of dead time as well.  Fascinating though, I saw a show from 1974 that was taped on July 3.  Nowadays talk show hosts take a minimum week or two off around any holiday.  Also funny just to see that Hollywood crowd that all ran together, when somebody like Orson Bean was a major guest.  What the fuck did Orson Bean ever do?  Just that old Hollywood gang, probably just hung around each other's houses playing tennis and drinking.  

1 hour ago, UTCzech III said:

What the fuck did Orson Bean ever do? 

He was Bilbo fuckin' Baggins. Seriously, Orson Bean was a comedian and "that guy" on TV. He showed up on tons of comedy shows as a character actor, was a game show regular and he was the guy that taught us never to put anything smaller than your elbow in your ear on Q-Tip commercials.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, RPM said:

He was Bilbo fuckin' Baggins. Seriously, Orson Bean was a comedian and "that guy" on TV. He showed up on tons of comedy shows as a character actor, was a game show regular and he was the guy that taught us never to put anything smaller than your elbow in your ear on Q-Tip commercials.

I know.  Him and Kitty Carlisle can share a seat at the end of the couch. Next to George Goebel.  Now move, Angie Dickinson needs to sit down and play with Johnny's pencil.

I had a little black & white TV stashed away in my bedroom. I stayed up every school night watching Johnny Carson. I couldn't miss it, sleeping through class be damned. It eventually extended through the Tomorrow Show with Tom Snyder. I probably got more useful education from them that I ever did in school.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Watching a rerun from 11/10/77. I'm only watching because Teri Garr is a guest and I want to see 1977 Teri Garr. The first two guests are Dinah Shore and Charles Nelson Riley. I'm not a Dinah Shore fan but I get why she was popular. For the life of me, I'll never understand why they thought so highly of Charles Nelson Riley. 

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

For the life of me, I'll never understand why they thought so highly of Charles Nelson Riley.

I think it was more of a behind the scenes thing. He was very popular in Hollywood circles. He ran an acting school and helped a lot of young actors.