Knives thread?

Flg8rfan

Bet you only end up using 3 of those blades.

I've discovered the greatness that is Yaxell. I own Shun, Global, Miyabi, and Wusthoff and not a one of them arrived as sharp or holds an edge the way my Yaxell chef's knife does. I use an 8" chef for nearly all my prep, Mundial scalloped slicers for large meats, and mainly a Dexter 7" flexibile filet for meat trimming, and a Wusthoff boning knife for de-boning).

On 4/8/2018 at 11:34 AM, PantsTent said:

I don't remember how I came about this brand, but I have Mac knives that have been great for over 10 years.  I wouldn't mind getting the chef knife sharpened back to it's original sharp as fuck state. Any good places in Austin?

MG_3716_1024x1024.jpg?v=1510014225

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/8/2018 at 10:34 AM, PantsTent said:

I don't remember how I came about this brand, but I have Mac knives that have been great for over 10 years.  I wouldn't mind getting the chef knife sharpened back to it's original sharp as fuck state. Any good places in Austin?

MG_3716_1024x1024.jpg?v=1510014225

Mac sells a sharpener on their website that is made for that chef knife.  I just bought the same knife about 6 months ago and love it to death.  MTH-80 chef knife is the shit.  

17 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Mac sells a sharpener on their website that is made for that chef knife.  I just bought the same knife about 6 months ago and love it to death.  MTH-80 chef knife is the shit.  

Yeah, I might try that. It doesn't really need sharpening, I just know it's not as sharp as it was brand new.  But yeah, take care of it and you'll love it for a long time.

Yeah, I might try that. It doesn't really need sharpening, I just know it's not as sharp as it was brand new.  But yeah, take care of it and you'll love it for a long time.

If you use your knife with any regularity it should be sharpened once a year, and honed once a month

• 2 years later...

So my nephew and godson FINALLY graduated from college.  Wanted a unique gift so I decided a nice cooking knife and since he's obsessed with Japan I decided on a Masamoto.   Ordered the cheapest one they had at $99.  Mosamotos are considered the best Japanese knives by many.   Well lets just say I thought it would be bigger.  Pictured here with my Masamoto that I bought in Tokyo for the same price.  

Can't get pic to load.

Edited by midtown

• 3 months later...
On 9/10/2020 at 2:32 AM, Mo Horn said:

e3686-8s3_2000x.jpg?v=1570222107

I have a set of Messermeister that I've had for over 20 years that includes this. They're as good as the day I bought them. 

nice.  this was my first and still my favorite, going on 15 years.  the balance is great.  edge is great.  the heel/bolster shaping is perfect.  the label faded a bit , but the knife is a lifer

• 2 months later...