John Mueller's new joint in Granger (Williamson County)

Jim Thompson

John has made some great BBQ.  His biggest problem is/was drinking. It has been over 6 years since I have seen or talked to him so that could have changed. 

I used to eat his BBQ multiple times a week And I met several of you there.  I liked John and we got along.  He sent me a PM the last time I mentioned his drinking.  He didn’t appreciate my comment.  

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

is LA BBQ still around ? 

that place was damn good 

3 hours ago, Royal With Cheese said:

It's still around and still damn good.

2 hours ago, HenryJames said:

Remember when Surly blamed John’s sister for his fuck ups? Knowing what they know now...they still would because she’s still a woman.

Remember the neg bombing one would get for even hinting at LA BBQ being good?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

It really wasn't until the sales tax fiasco that closed his third? venture that people began to acknowledge that maybe he had some more serious problems than people were giving him credit for.

And, yeah, from a distance and without personal knowledge, but a good deal of personal experience, it sounds like his main problem is alcohol.

Even the public hostility from LA is fairly typical of family of an alcoholic.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Remember when Surly blamed John’s sister for his fuck ups? Knowing what they know now...they still would because she’s still a woman.

Well, she seems like a fucking train wreck too. There was a ridiculous Twitter back-and-forth between Leanne, John and Wayne a year or so back.

On 8/19/2020 at 9:23 AM, TwiceHorn said:

Lol yeah.  Part of his surliness is waving knives at customers.  I only made it to the S. 1st location once and they were running low when I got there.  Twas pretty good though.

Remember when Anthony Bourdain & his tv crew showed up? Lot of Shaggers did too, enticed by the free beer on tap that afternoon.

On 8/19/2020 at 12:16 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Has it occurred to you that your experience might be the outlier?

Not for me & my wife, but then again she graduated Taylor High School with John’s mom. Always courteous to us and we never got a bad plate of bbq at any of the three places of his we went went to. (South 1st, East 6th, Black Box).

And John wasn’t the baddest boy from Taylor. Dude named Squee has that distinction.

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Never tried the first few iterations but JMMC was awesome. Great beef ribs, great brisket, and great sides. Hook me up to an IV bag of cheezy squash and I'll die happy. But man he was a fuckin asshole. I remember one time I got there really late and had his last beef rib. Couple comes up to order one and he tells them they're gone. They said "oh no! we came here all the way from [wherever, don't remember]" and his response was "we all come from somewhere so beat it" lol

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Back when he gave a shit his food was top 5 in the state.  He’s a fuckin train wreck looking for new track to derail.

I have witnessed his horses ass attitude multiple times to customers that were undeserving. There are so many better places to eat bbq now. Fuck him!

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

I remember one time I got there really late and had his last beef rib. Couple comes up to order one and he tells them they're gone. They said "oh no! we came here all the way from [wherever, don't remember]" and his response was "we all come from somewhere so beat it" lol

spacer.png

1 hour ago, HRSchenker said:

Never tried the first few iterations but JMMC was awesome. Great beef ribs, great brisket, and great sides. Hook me up to an IV bag of cheezy squash and I'll die happy. But man he was a fuckin asshole. I remember one time I got there really late and had his last beef rib. Couple comes up to order one and he tells them they're gone. They said "oh no! we came here all the way from [wherever, don't remember]" and his response was "we all come from somewhere so beat it" lol

Great fucking line though...

2 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

Haha yeah I remember now what he said to me.  After I paid I told him I was in town from Dallas and he said “well you shoulda stayed there” with a really straight face.  I kinda chuckled awkwardly thinking he had to be just not very good at joking around.  And then he followed it up with “I’m dead fucking serious”.  And to make matters worse, my daughter, who was around 7 at the time, was with me.  When we got to the table, she asked me “daddy why was that man so mean?”

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, RMac5 said:

Back when he gave a shit his food was top 5 in the state.  He’s a fuckin train wreck looking for new track to derail.

I have witnessed his horses ass attitude multiple times to customers that were undeserving. There are so many better places to eat bbq now. Fuck him!

lulz.  sorry your feelings got hurt. 

4 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Haha yeah I remember now what he said to me.  After I paid I told him I was in town from Dallas and he said “well you shoulda stayed there” with a really straight face.  I kinda chuckled awkwardly thinking he had to be just not very good at joking around.  And then he followed it up with “I’m dead fucking serious”.  And to make matters worse, my daughter, who was around 7 at the time, was with me.  When we got to the table, she asked me “daddy why was that man so mean?”

bad things happen to bad people 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

When did surly get so soft? Some of the asshole stories are just funny.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Nothing soft about it.  I draw the line when it's in front of my kid.

And it wasn't funny, it was just ignorant.  But hey, if piece of shit people acting like trash is funny to you, then you do you man.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

And it wasn't funny, it was just ignorant.  But hey, if piece of shit people acting like trash is funny to you, then you do you man.

In all seriousness though, narcissism, alcohol and running a BBQ restaurant just is never going to work.  You can make the best ribs in the world, but when you resent the fact you have to put in 18 to 20 hours a day to do it on thin margins, you’re gonna be too surly.  You either have to love doing it, or turn it over to people who do.  

58 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

It worked out for you. You obviously raised your kids to spot an asshole when they see one, and you kept your cool. I say you got the better of it. But, the “everybody’s from somewhere” line was still good.

1 hour ago, futureman said:

you never went to goff’s?

Hahaha.  My parents were friends of Harvey's parents.  His Mom used to have an ice cream shop next door.  They were really sweet old people.  We started going there when his Dad was still in the shop and Harvey had a lid on.

Because of that, I was immune from Harvey's BS.  I'd be at a table with friends, they'd all get some manner of shit.  I get none.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1