Patients Die As Pakistani Lawyers Ransack Lahore Hospital

MaybeACoordinator

Doctors and lawyers are like Crips and Bloods there, apparently.

Three patients died when hundreds of lawyers attacked a hospital in Lahore during a furious dispute with doctors.

Video showed the lawyers ransacking wards at the cardiac hospital, beating up staff and smashing equipment.

As panic spread, doctors and paramedics hid, leaving patients unattended, including those in a critical state.

Riot police fired tear gas to disperse the lawyers and more than 20 arrests were made. It took more than two hours to restore order, officials said.

The lawyers had been protesting over the alleged mistreatment of some of their colleagues by hospital staff last month.

But the final trigger for the violence appears to have been a video posted on social media by a doctor on Tuesday night in which he poked fun at the lawyers.

Could make for a Very Special Episode of Suits and/or ER over here. 

I lived in Lahore as a 5th grader.  It generally smells like a feedlot on a hot day and I can still hear the flies buzzing.  A hot summer day there means 115-120 degrees.

The best thing was being able to buy a grocery sack full amount of dangerous fireworks for the equivalent of $2.00 US 365 days a year.  I had a $5.00/week allowance; the expatriate compound sounded like a war zone most every day.  I heard later you could buy a key of Afghanistan hash for $50.00, over the counter.

• Like 1