Bravo, Dems!

RomaVicta

It's so rare that I can think so well about the party I vote for. It feels nice for a change. The floor vote remains, but I think we know how that will go.

Under Pelosi's leadership, the party patiently went about the business of doing their duty to the country. They did so largely without their usual clumsy grandstanding and hair splitting. They've done so with the support of Dem, former GOP, and likely a few current GOP voters supporting the move.

The Dems did not knuckle under in fear as they did during the Iraq invasion debate and as they have done so often on other issues. They've withstood the storm of faux outrage (largely based in their own fear, IMHO) of the GOPs and proceeded with due decorum. The GOPs are left with inflaming the foulest of their party and trying to confuse everyone else. That might work, but they know that they're scoundrels in the doing.

Elizabeth Warren and AOC voiced the reason for impeachment months ago: Let's get everyone on the record. Crime is occurring in plain sight; who will vote aye for it?

I think Pelosi was reading the public in delaying a call to impeach. As I wrote earlier, I'd recently read about Lincoln's talent for doing that very thing. Lincoln would patiently wait through the vocal calls for a righteous action until he saw the moment was right. The action was always the right one, but success relied on timing. Pelosi has timed this act for its greatest chance of success in the House with greatest public support in the window where you can hold their brief attention.

Go ahead, GOPs, acquit him. Put that mark on your record in indelible India ink. Spend your career justifying it as the case against Trump continues to snowball over the coming few years. Publicly break your oath. Publicly reveal your true soul.

Woo-hoo! You will have kept the charlatan in office! Celebrate as the sun goes down, but prepare to wriggle in your handcuffs or veil your face when you walk in public. 

The republic still faces the problem of the Trumpists who will never not believe in him and who will also anxiously embrace a defter politician who appeals to their foul, fucked-up beliefs/delusions. That cancer will require its own treatment. 

For today, it's bravo Dems! You've set aside traditional tameness and done the right thing. Keep it up!