Matt's El Rancho

Knoxtnhorn

8 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

I like it. It’s solid. Salsa and chips are good. Tortillas are great (for Austin). I think it’s a better overall restaurant than Y Mas but if I want enchiladas, it’s Y Mas all the way.

Enchiladas are pretty much all that matter, so...

But yeah, Matt's is fine.  Food is decent, atmosphere is good, nostalgia is great.  It's an Austin/UT institution.

14 hours ago, DaysOff said:

UPTOWN ENCHILADA BAR*

I think its changed the name or no longer exists. Good times.

Good lord. It's been an El Mercado for 25 years at least. Uptown Enchilada Bar was awesome. El Mercado blows.

And, yes, while there may be better food to be had, El Rancho is quintessential old Austin. Their menu staples haven't changed in over a half-century. Nearly always a lively, fun atmosphere. One of the best patio dining options anywhere. Great drinks. It's hard to beat for an all-around dining experience.

• Fuck You 1

5 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Cool.  Haven't been back to Austin since 2002. I'm already preparing for the culture shock of seeing how much has changed since I was in college.  

Yeah... it's gonna be.... different.

Welcome back to town, though!  Not ALL of the change is bad.  B|

Great, great great patio. 

Very strong chips and salsa. 

Makes their own fresh flour tortillas, which is saying something in this hell hole of a flour tortilla town. 

Free rainbow sherbet after your meal, to cleanse your pallet from the grease and spice, as it should be at an old-school Tex-Mex joint. 

Whoever said Matt’s food is a solid B is exactly right.  It’s a very consistent “good” restaurant.  Atmosphere and patio are A+ though.   Still find myself there at least 1-2x/month despite living north of the river.

And Maudie’s?  Talk about a place which has fallen hard over the past 3-4 years.  

You poor souls.  All I’m seeing are upgraded versions of Taco Cabana.  Go try some Casa Garcia’s and Chapala.

The old Casa Garcia’s that was on S. Lamar was great. The RR and Pville ones are subpar to me.

Chapala was good too but haven’t eaten there since 2008.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

At this point I think Matt's is better than Maudi's. I never thought I would have ever said that. 

I'm south of the river and I think Casa Garcia is the best option South Side.

But yeah, Matt's is a solid B, with great chips and salsa, tortillas, patio, etc. I have never had a bad meal, or experience there. Also, their chicken fried steak with chili gravy is an interesting and delicious twist on CFS. 

On 4/10/2018 at 7:33 AM, utee94 said:

The chile gravy at Maudie's is great, pretty much the same as Enchiladas y Mas.  Standard cheese enchiladas are the thing to order. Strait Plate with fried egg is also great.  I don't really ever order anything else.

I swear they use a different chili sauce on the Strait Plate than on their #5. EyM #5 >>>>>>>>>>>>> Maudie's #5. But the Strait Plate with jalapenos is pretty damn good. Not EyM good, but definitely delicious. Only thing I get at Maudie's.

On 4/15/2018 at 10:36 PM, Hank_Hill said:

Don’t know where else to post this question: is Tamale House worth a visit?

For breakfast, yes. Get the chipotle migas, add a side of bacon, and get a Mexican iced coffee. Go early before the hipsters wake up. 

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, Chet Steadman said:

I think you were sitting next to me.  I was the one who had five margs plus floaters.  

Can’t remember what I ordered though.  

Yeah, the part you can't remember was the OTHER five margs plus floaters. 

• 2 weeks later...

Fond memories of eating at Matt's as a child in the 70's, when they were on 1st. Dad was pals with Matt Jr., and he made sure I always got sherbet and a praline for dessert. Before he made off for Dallas, Matt Jr. opened a place on Burnet Road where the old Holiday house was located. One night he had a kid goat tied up out front and told us to come back the next day for some cabrito. We did. It was excellent.

As long as the food doesn't make me sick, I'll have a soft spot in my heart for Matt's. 

• 1 month later...
On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 7:02 PM, Deej said:

Fond memories of eating at Matt's as a child in the 70's, when they were on 1st. Dad was pals with Matt Jr., and he made sure I always got sherbet and a praline for dessert. Before he made off for Dallas, Matt Jr. opened a place on Burnet Road where the old Holiday house was located. One night he had a kid goat tied up out front and told us to come back the next day for some cabrito. We did. It was excellent.

As long as the food doesn't make me sick, I'll have a soft spot in my heart for Matt's. 

I totally appreciate those stories.  I just don't have one like that for Matt's.  To me, it was just cheap Tex Mex in college before the volume and quality of Tex Mex joints in town improved.

• 2 years later...

Headed to Matt's right now for lunch and frozen margaritas in honor of the frozen margarita machine 50th anniversary today. If anyone is in town and wants to come, first margarita is on surly horns, just find me at the bar and use the password "muledick"

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, immamac said:

Headed to Matt's right now for lunch and frozen margaritas in honor of the frozen margarita machine 50th anniversary today. If anyone is in town and wants to come, first margarita is on surly horns, just find me at the bar and use the password "muledick"

you’re a good egg, noonan. 

Just now, Laxtonto said:

Just to let you guys know... I hate you all... I hope you drown in queso, get brain freeze from your frozen margarittas and get parts of corn chips stuck between your teeth and gums!

Sincerely,

Some asshole in Ohio that cant get decent TexMex

you haven't been to Matt's in the last 10 years.

I kid, I kid!

• Haha 1