Matt's El Rancho

Knoxtnhorn

As someone who is at Matt’s at least once a week for forever now, I gotta say, I’ve switched almost full-time to the skinny frozens.  The thought of potentially saving 30-40 calories for each of the five margs I usually consume is a refreshing feeling.  

Sometimes I feel so good about myself I’ll go ahead and order a second Bob as a little pat the back for having such self-discipline.  

Edited by Chet Steadman
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, immamac said:

This is a lie. Fuck you. 

Big props to @BigSwingingD for showing up and buying me lunch and margs. Margarita #4 is going down quite nicely. 

I was in Austin for a couple days working before Covid and posted about being able to squeeze in Matt's and Threadgill's in the short time I was there.  I got roasted by Surly for being an old guy and not trying new places.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 1 year later...
5 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

It's been 2 years since this thread went dark. Still good? Wanting to set up a weekend lunch with some old school 2005 NC year people I went to school with. Haven't been to Matt's since around 2009. Would like to rectify that if it's still edible

Matt's is Matt's.  Basic Tex Mex and good margaritas.  Great place for a party with old friends.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 4/13/2021 at 4:24 PM, smwhorn said:

I was in Austin for a couple days working before Covid and posted about being able to squeeze in Matt's and Threadgill's in the short time I was there.  I got roasted by Surly for being an old guy and not trying new places.

Funny... was having a conversation with someone who is in the food/hospitality/entertainment business... knows it well and knows it well from an Austin perspective... and Matt's aside (its always packed) one of the reasons places like Shady Grove and Threadgill's went under is (controversial opinion incoming) they kept catering to old people and their old client base and never did anything to evolve and adapt and so that put them under.  Doesn't seem like Matt's will do that but when some people bemoan old Austin places going under, maybe its because the old Austin places only tried to cater to old Austin.  If you cater to an audience that is getting older/doesn't want to go out anymore/is dying off or moving away, sooner or later your business goes under, too.

BTW, I think the reason places like Matt's keep going is because the olds bring their family and the kids and the nostalgia keeps it alive... multiple generations go back.  That's why a total dump in Houston like Los Tios stays open.  Its the nostalgia... and strong margaritas.

Edited by texasdago
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 3/29/2023 at 12:22 PM, texasdago said:

Funny... was having a conversation with someone who is in the food/hospitality/entertainment business... knows it well and knows it well from an Austin perspective... and Matt's aside (its always packed) one of the reasons places like Shady Grove and Threadgill's went under is (controversial opinion incoming) they kept catering to old people and their old client base and never did anything to evolve and adapt and so that put them under.  Doesn't seem like Matt's will do that but when some people bemoan old Austin places going under, maybe its because the old Austin places only tried to cater to old Austin.  If you cater to an audience that is getting older/doesn't want to go out anymore/is dying off or moving away, sooner or later your business goes under, too.

BTW, I think the reason places like Matt's keep going is because the olds bring their family and the kids and the nostalgia keeps it alive... multiple generations go back.  That's why a total dump in Houston like Los Tios stays open.  Its the nostalgia... and strong margaritas.

Threadgills downtown closing was 99% due to rent increases. 

No amount of gold dusted avocado toast was going to cover half a million dollars in rent, and that’s before city taxes. Shady Grove was closed due to covid and high rents/taxes when city shut them down.  They were never hurting for customers, they simply didn't own the land. 

Amid Soaring Rents, Austin Landmark Threadgill's WHQ To Close

Place that rejuvenated a once dormant part of town will close its doors after Thanksgiving with monthly rent now at $40,000.

https://patch.com/texas/southaustin/amid-soaring-rents-austin-landmark-threadgills-whq-close

I believe Matt’s owns their own dirt as well from their move in 1986  

Barley Swine is another restaurant forced to move from South Lamar to N Burnet due to rent increases. 

How the hell is there still a Taxidermy business on S Lamar and Oltorf?  The family owns the building.  

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Barley Swine is another restaurant forced to move from South Lamar to N Burnet due to rent increases. 

Okay that's just silly. Barley Swine moving to a brand new space from that tiny, run down space on South Lamar had nothing to do with rent increases. I'll agree with everything else in your post.

• 2 months later...