Greatest live cover

jimmyjazz

This is different than "greatest cover" . . . show me the greatest LIVE footage of one artist covering another's tune.

For me, this is #1 in the clubhouse.  It slowly unfolds and just gets more grand as the song goes on.  It has everything . . . amazing core band featuring Bonzo's son, the Wilson sisters knocking it out of the park, Obama grooving, Yo Yo Ma grinning, Robert Plant crying, and then the Bonzo Choir at the end, all pulled off with incredibly good taste and phenomenal talent.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

This is different than "greatest cover" . . . show me the greatest LIVE footage of one artist covering another's tune.

For me, this is #1 in the clubhouse.  It slowly unfolds and just gets more grand as the song goes on.  It has everything . . . amazing core band featuring Bonzo's son, the Wilson sisters knocking it out of the park, Obama grooving, Yo Yo Ma grinning, Robert Plant crying, and then the Bonzo Choir at the end, all pulled off with incredibly good taste and phenomenal talent.  

I don't even know who you are any more.  

Hendrix watchtower, or star spangled banner if that counts.

Pearl Jam has done some great covers at shows. But to win this it has to be better than the original, which I don't think the PJ songs or OPs stairway version are.

Then again by the "better than the original" metric, every cover of a Dylan song ever would qualify.

17 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I really liked this, and had posted it in the Zep thread, but I think what made it so cool was that the 3 of them were there watching it, and you could see the emotion on their faces as they probably watched that epic tune being performed by someone else thinking “damn, that really is an awesome song.”

• Hook 'Em 1

Ok Jimmy, forgive me if I'm goin' off the rails here (pretty sure I am), but I just had to force this one in there b/c it's just so fucking good.  As much of an impression/impressions as a cover, but fuck it.  MF'er just fucking oozed talent...

Edited by Cajun

11 hours ago, TexasHooch said:

Good version, but Is it a cover if you wrote it? 

You are right. From what I understand - Bruce wrote the music but couldn't come up with the lyrics. Patti got a demo tape of Bruce and penned the lyrics. Great song. And for Patti - the punk rock poet laureate - her only hit - not that it matters. 

And I love Natalie Merchant's voice . . . 

14 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

You are right. From what I understand - Bruce wrote the music but couldn't come up with the lyrics. Patti got a demo tape of Bruce and penned the lyrics. Great song. And for Patti - the punk rock poet laureate - her only hit - not that it matters. 

And I love Natalie Merchant's voice . . . 

Natalie Merchant's voice is awesome. One of the most disappointing concerts I've been to was her in Austin ca. 2001. She was great but the crowd fucking sucked. Handful of incredibly drunk douchebags just ruined it. /csb

I'm gonna put this here, even though it's a bit outside the Surly norm.  This is blues guitarist Kingfish Ingram playing "Amazing Grace" at his mother's funeral.

Killer tone, absolutely stellar playing, and the emotional edge is unreal.  I dare anyone to hold back the allergies.  The guy is only 20 years old, and has apparently opened some for Jason Isbell, among others.

Sorry for the facebook link, it's all I could find:

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Saw them do this live.  Stunning.  The show was announced as Gillian, David and three to be named later.    They didn't introduce the band at first, but the buzz started going around when people realized it was John Paul Jones on mandolin.  They took an intermissions break about 45 in.  When they came back out, and the applause died down, it was deathly quiet.  One dude says, in a very stoner voice, "That's John Paul fuckin' Jones, man."  

Edited by hullabelew
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 12/13/2019 at 4:59 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Damn that gave me goosebumps.

12 minutes ago, Bookman said:

Damn that gave me goosebumps.

Can you imagine, regardless of how talented you are, playing Jimmy Page's guitar part in front of him, or singing Robert Plant's vocal part in front of him?

I would not only not be talented enough to do either, I would shit my pants.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Can you imagine, regardless of how talented you are, playing Jimmy Page's guitar part in front of him, or singing Robert Plant's vocal part in front of him?

I would not only not be talented enough to do either, I would shit my pants.

Yeah, that's what I kept thinking as I watched it. Some serious ice water to play that solo note for note in front of Page. Oh yeah, and the president lol.