What Is Your Favorite Football Movie Of All Time?

Vic Mackey

1 hour ago, BigSwingingD said:

It's the sport of kings.

Better than diamond rings.

Footballspacer.png

I remember we got in trouble for doing stupid shit at school and our coach made us run 20 laps on the track after practice, we sang that song the last couple of miles.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, BluTechsan said:

Winner! Winner! Chicken dinner!

There was one moment in that film that caused me to spit beer all over the place, though it didn't really have staying power.

The announcer, all alone in the booth calling the game.

Bakula drops back to pass.

"Looking downfield...."

"Looking..."

"Still looking..."

[QB gets demolished by pass rushers}

"Quarterback keeper!"

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, ousux said:

Concussion qualifies as a football movie?

Having said that, Friday night lights. Even though that was a bit before my time, and of course there was a bit of Hollywood in there, i thought it pretty accurately captured Texas HS football as a whole even though it was about a single program during a certain era.

FNL is my favorite book, period.  When I saw they were making the movie, I thought, "They're going to ruin it.  I'm not going to watch that."  I was wrong.  Billy Bob really pulled it off, and his speech at halftime of the state game gives me the chills still.

Honorable mention:

613X90nyKYL._SY445_.jpg

• Like 4

4 hours ago, tbone_ said:

FNL movie pisses me off because they moved the Carter game to the Dome when it was at DKR and I know because I was there.

Yeah, that whole playoff bracket thing they show is the worst part of the movie.  And the Carter game was actually the state semis.  It still doesn't have nearly as much made up shit in it as Remember the Titans does.  

8 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Yeah, that whole playoff bracket thing they show is the worst part of the movie.  And the Carter game was actually the state semis.  It still doesn't have nearly as much made up shit in it as Remember the Titans does.  

Yeah, that kinda fucked up the movie. I was at the state championship game when Judson played Carter at Cowboys stadium. I remember thinking "this isn't right" during that segment of the movie.

I hate Notre Dame with a passion, but still enjoy Rudy, even if, like many of the others mentioned, the truth is liberally altered.  I'm surprised it isn't on more of your lists. 

Brian's Song was a made for TV movie, which I guess still counts I guess, but it would explain why it wasn't a cinematic masterpiece. 

Every movie mentioned has several cringe-worthy moments.  Most sports movies suffer from this.   

More about culture around “Cowboys” and character story of aging player. I love it, don’t get me wrong. 
and yes, Major League is better than North Dallas Forty. Best sports comedy of all time (I’d not rate Caddyshack a “sports” comedy). Had a lot of “play” in it, was somewhat realistic, and had enough drama. 

Best sports comedy of all time is Slap Shot sir.
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Brandywine said:

BINGO!

My favorite football movie of all time! The Best of Times. 

Every time we go into a restaurant and I angle for the seat that can see the TV, I yell, "WHO PUT THAT THERE?!?!?" when my wife notices what I did.

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Like 1

Remember the Titans was quality filmmaking but I cite it without the major enthusiasm I have for Slap Shot in hockey or Hoosiers in roundball. Bama's most unlikely 2nd and 26 snatching a title from the jaws of  defeat two years ago was more improbable than the screenplay of any movie named above.  Vince Young sweeping right to win the 2006 Rose Bowl a very close second.  A truly great football flick has yet to be made.

Edited by Bama Llama

44 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Vic never saw a clickbait that he did not like. 

And you're dumb ass never fails to post in them saying this exact same thing. How is asking what is your favorite football movie clickbait? You keep using that lingo and have no idea what it means. But no surprise, you have been on my dick for years. Fucking dork.

14 hours ago, TreatyOak said:

Tom-XMAS-CAROL.jpg

I’ve seen this in a few threads from you and it is ridiculous and fucking awesome. It doesn’t make any sense, but fuck it. 

Also, North Dallas Forty is pure, hot garbage. It may be the worst sports movie I’ve ever seen. Nick Nolte is his usual shit and the wormy singer/actor playing Dallas’ QB is even less believable. I understand sentimentality, but there has to be some merit to it. 

All the Right Moves, The Best of Times and Wildcats are all terrific. 

Remember the Titans and the Blind Side are trash designed for children and women. 

The Program and Varsity Blues were fucking great. 

Friday Night Lights, along with The Black Swan and Charlie Wilson’s War, is the only book I’ve read more than once. It was really fun to read while living elements of that shit in high school and then checking it out again down the line. They choked on the movie though. My expectations were probably too high. 

• Like 1