Formula One 2020

wood

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

Mercedes solid teal stripe is terribad.  Like, a 3rd grader on MS Paint bad.

I like the Alphatauri-- a lot-- but I don't like it as much as STR's livery from the past couple of years. That was just beautiful.  But I'm all for simple and clean and Alphatauri nailed that for sure.

McLaren just continues to look bad.  Maybe it's the sheer size of the new cars compared to vintage, but the papaya orange just doesn't work on these cars.  And mixing it with the weird blue doesn't help.  Looks much more indycar than F1 car IMO.

Agree re: the Merc teal stripe, and agree this McLaren doesn't look good ... but not because of the papaya and blue. I love the papaya and blue. The 2018 and 2019 cars were beautiful imho, & very popular. I don't like this one because of the black and the busy lines that dilute the papaya and blue.

40 minutes ago, wood said:

Agree re: the Merc teal stripe, and agree this McLaren doesn't look good ... but not because of the papaya and blue. I love the papaya and blue. The 2018 and 2019 cars were beautiful imho, & very popular. I don't like this one because of the black and the busy lines that dilute the papaya and blue.

Didn't like the previous incarnation of papaya and blue either, nor did anyone else that goes to F1 with me.  It takes all kinds I suppose. :)

How can steering be innovative or illegal?

They’re adjusting the toe to zero/neutral by pulling the wheel out on the straights. This allows for less tire scrub and less overheating of the shoulder of the tire during the straights. At the end, the wheel gets pushed back in, and it returns to toe out as it is normally set up. Toe out helps turn in. Neutral toe can also help top end speed slightly and may have a secondary effect of slightly adjusting ride height.

The argument is that it’s a moveable aero device. However, this only affect the steering gear and track rods. All other effects are incidental.

The steering regs state:

The steering cannot adjust more than two wheels. Check.

The suspension does not change when the wheel is fixed (ergo; not moving). Check.

No part of the system is closer to the driver than the rear edge of the steering wheel. Check.

Moving the wheel rotationally adjusts toe. Moving it longitudinally also adjust toe here. The argument is that if this isn’t allowed, then steering isn’t allowed by the same written rules.

Scarbs sketch:

5688695a31d8d40549b627de5e3470ee.jpg

Quick scarbs video:

James Allison is pretty confident about it:

Here is a video showing it:

https://streamable.com/b820r

Pretty ingenious stuff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wood said:

Nice. Dunno if it will be banned, but it won't surprise me if it is, either. It wouldn't be the first item banned as a "moveable aerodynamic device" that really wasn't one.

A few years back, the floppy front wings were banned.  They weren't movable by anything other than the forces of inertia and the air traveling around and through them, and yet they were still considered to be defeating the intent of the rule, so they got jettisoned.

I wouldn't be surprised to see something similar happen here.  

Edited by utee94
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, utee94 said:

A few years back, the floppy front wings were banned.  They weren't movable by anything other than the forces of inertia and the air traveling around and through them, and yet they were still considered to be defeating the intent of the rule, so they got jettisoned.

I wouldn't be surprised to see something similar happen here.  

Yep. And Renault's mass damper, etc...

• Like 2

I think it's funny how they all say VOLUME ON!!!

These cars sound like a 98 Passat with a coffee can and a bad head gasket.  

I know we will never go back to what it was, but don't tell me sound on for these 1.6 litre midget engines. 

• Like 1

I dunno, they sound good to me. Especially in person.

But, I say that as someone who is not a huge sound of the V10 in general (whether it be a 3L F1, 4.8L LFA, 5.2L Audi, or 8.4L Viper). So, the V10s aren’t some mythical sound perfection to me at all.

The V8s were cool, but still pretty low tech to the 1.6L V6 we have now.

12 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

I dunno, they sound good to me. Especially in person.

But, I say that as someone who is not a huge sound of the V10 in general (whether it be a 3L F1, 4.8L LFA, 5.2L Audi, or 8.4L Viper). So, the V10s aren’t some mythical sound perfection to me at all.

The V8s were cool, but still pretty low tech to the 1.6L V6 we have now.

You heard the Carrera GT v10?  In the pantheon of greatest production car sounds ever

• Like 1

so, just based on appearance alone, doesnt Zak Brown seem like the biggest douchebag ever? 

maybe its the hair.  he looks like a nepotic vp of a local industrial fastener company.

Good, I'm not the only one that thinks that and wonders how he is in charge at McLaren. I've given up on them until he's gone.

I wish the race broadcast did a better job with their comm feed to give us more race context.  e.g. we never learned that Hulk wasn't allowed to attack Ricciardo that one race.  Lay people (like me) just look at the results and take them for what they are.  D2S sheds so much more light to the mid-field battle.

Also so much of the performance is about what engine programs/maps are given to the drivers; the state of charge; dynamic factors like engine temp; etc.  From the broadcast alone, you'd think it was only tire status and driver talent. 

Been waiting for this. The lack of driver changes for this year led me to believe that maybe Haas was on the way out, or at least thinking about it. The Drive to Survive quotes from Gene just reinforced that.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/148522/early-season-will-decide-haas-future-beyond-20?_ga=2.254871051.2229005.1583240637-293534572.1579439984

24 minutes ago, wood said:

Been waiting for this. The lack of driver changes for this year led me to believe that maybe Haas was on the way out, or at least thinking about it. The Drive to Survive quotes from Gene just reinforced that.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/148522/early-season-will-decide-haas-future-beyond-20?_ga=2.254871051.2229005.1583240637-293534572.1579439984

The Williams episode of d2s seemed to say that they were counting on the new rules to lower costs for small teams, but haas is saying he thinks costs will be the same. He could be fibbing as an excuse for killing the team though. 

I doubt they can really keep the costs really in control. Probably the big teams will just break the caps anyway and then if they get caught have a private settlement like Ferrari did with their engine. 

Williams has way more history in the sport and is willing to suffer what it takes to turn it around. Haas not so much. Plus he has a new car in NASCAR to pay for and develop and there is no financial incentive to continue with F1.