Formula One 2020

wood

think i am going all in on renault and ricciardo this year.  love the new livery, like him as a driver (threw up the hook'em), and something to be interested in besides just how badly mercedes runs away with it and if leclerc can get some poles.  maybe a few podiums for renault this year?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sidis said:

think i am going all in on renault and ricciardo this year.  love the new livery, like him as a driver (threw up the hook'em), and something to be interested in besides just how badly mercedes runs away with it and if leclerc can get some poles.  maybe a few podiums for renault this year?

and also the return of ocon!  

• Like 1

Not F1, but related ... MotoGP has postponed/cancelled their first two rounds and have planned to make COTA the season opener, but now that plan looks like it might be in jeopardy as well. Some stories have them looking at postponing Austin until September (holy shit ... hot), and making Aragon the opener or moving Jerez up and starting the season there.

Austin state of emergency casts major doubt over MotoGP opener https://www.motorsport.com/motogp/news/cota-austin-emergency-coronavirus/4725855/?fbclid=IwAR3T9Ckeqg17RKOznOCAuyMd22BE-b5kte98sbBn8gyxm2kxvm7lH4T9FMs

MotoGP at COTA Faces Pressure to Cancel Due to Coronavirus https://www.autoweek.com/racing/more-racing/a31268686/motogp-at-cota-faces-pressure-to-cancel-due-to-coronavirus/?fbclid=IwAR3gTKmQirlBz-skzV7eGutsFbRBB_rVVFO36toV6nMjuMie1MRRylJWQeE

Here's a scenario F1, MotoGP, etc have to be particularly wary of, imho...

The series goes to whatever country, puts on a race, then maybe heads off to another country and runs another race. Then everyone heads home, back to the UK, Italy, Japan, France, Germany, etc, and goes on about their daily lives. Then after a day or two or six, someone in the circus tests positive for coronavirus.

Were I in a decision-making position in FOM, Moto GP, etc, the ramifications - on multiple levels - of such a scenario would have me losing sleep at night.

Dorna now considering move of U.S. MotoGP round to Indianapolis.  From what I've heard, it seems the talks with COTA haven't exactly been going smoothly ...

https://www.gpone.com/en/2020/03/09/motogp/dorna-is-considering-indianapolis-uncini-not-many-critical-areas-it-can-be-re#.XmcFVr0gSJQ.twitter

Edited by wood

17 minutes ago, wood said:

Dorna now considering move of U.S. MotoGP round to Indianapolis.  From what I've heard, it seems the talks with COTA haven't exactly been going smoothly ...

https://www.gpone.com/en/2020/03/09/motogp/dorna-is-considering-indianapolis-uncini-not-many-critical-areas-it-can-be-re#.XmcFVr0gSJQ.twitter

Not sure it really has anything to do with COTA, city of Austin is calling these shots right now.  Delaying it one month won't work, the health risks are likely to be MORE prevalent at that time.  MotoGP doesn't want to race in the summer in Austin for obvious reasons, so it comes down to the Fall, and finding dates that would work for both venue and the racing tour.

43 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Not sure it really has anything to do with COTA, city of Austin is calling these shots right now.  Delaying it one month won't work, the health risks are likely to be MORE prevalent at that time.  MotoGP doesn't want to race in the summer in Austin for obvious reasons, so it comes down to the Fall, and finding dates that would work for both venue and the racing tour.

For sure the City is calling the shots, but what I'm hearing is that there's been a good deal of friction between COTA and Dorna over contractual matters during the rescheduling talks.

What I was told a couple of days ago was that it's "obvious contract issues with COTA cancelling vs postponing vs MotoGP pulling out", and that vendors have been told to hold everything back until a decision has been made.

Edited by wood

There's also a rumor that tomorrow Dorna will announce the U.S. round is rescheduled to Nov 6-8.

... and the new Large Gathering ban until May 1 could affect IndyCar, too. 

Edited by wood

5 minutes ago, wood said:

There's also a rumor that tomorrow Dorna will announce the U.S. round is rescheduled to Nov 6-8.

... and the new Large Gathering ban until May 1 could affect IndyCar, too. 

Yeah, I mentioned I sort of expected that to happen over on the indycar thread.

I work for a very large computer manufacturing company headquartered in RR, and the announcement came out today that all people who can, must shift to work-from-home until 3/24.  I consider that date to be just kicking the can down the road, and in reality it'll run until late April at the earliest.  We won't be the only ones by any stretch, doing that.

18 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Yeah, I mentioned I sort of expected that to happen over on the indycar thread.

I work for a very large computer manufacturing company headquartered in RR, and the announcement came out today that all people who can, must shift to work-from-home until 3/24.  I consider that date to be just kicking the can down the road, and in reality it'll run until late April at the earliest.  We won't be the only ones by any stretch, doing that.

Yeah I've been seeing a lot of people mentioning that their companies will be doing this soon, too. Interesting times ahead ...

Expanded ESPN coverage this year, + Mothers sponsoring all sessions, so maybe everything will be ad-free...

https://espnpressroom.com/us/press-releases/2020/03/formula-1-on-espn-expands-as-new-season-launches-this-week/

The Formula 1 Rolex Australian Grand Prix from the Melbourne Grand Prix Circuit will air Sunday, March 15, at 1:05 a.m. ET (late Saturday night) on ESPN and ESPN Deportes. The Grand Prix Sunday pre-race show (formerly On the Grid, now expanded to one hour) will precede the race at midnight on ESPN. Live coverage of the weekend’s three practice sessions and qualifying also will air on ESPN platforms.

On the heels of double-digit television viewership growth in the United States over the past two seasons, ESPN and Formula 1 forged a new agreement last fall that will keep the Championship on ESPN and ABC through 2022. F1 returned to the ESPN networks in 2018.

Once again in 2020, the race telecasts will be presented commercial-free with sponsorship from Mothers Polish, which recently signed a new, three-year agreement with ESPN. The expanded new deal also includes presenting sponsorship of practice and qualifying telecasts.

ESPN is again teaming with Sky Sports and Formula 1 to bring Sky Sports’ award-winning presentation of Formula 1 racing to American viewers. Sky’s Welcome to the Weekend program, which will air on ESPN3 leading into the weekend’s first practice session, returns this year with a race preview, driver interviews and commentary and analysis from the Sky team. The Australia edition of the program airs on Thursday, March 12, at 8:30 p.m. with replays available on the ESPN App.

In addition to the expanded pre-race show, ESPN will continue to air Sunday Social (formerly Pit Lane Live), a one-hour program airing on race day. Sunday Social features the Sky F1 commentators discussing the upcoming race and all the latest news from the paddock, with the show also including feature stories. Sunday Social from Australia will air at 11 p.m. on Saturday, March 14, on ESPN3, also streaming on the ESPN App.

Edited by wood

(all times eastern)

Thursday, March 12 8:30 p.m. Welcome to the Weekend ESPN3
  8:55 p.m. Practice 1 ESPNEWS
  8:55 p.m. Practice 1 (Spanish) ESPN3
Friday, March 13 12:55 a.m. Practice 2 ESPNEWS
  12:55 a.m. Practice 2 (Spanish) ESPN3
  10:55 p.m. Practice 3 ESPNEWS
  10:55 p.m. Practice 3 (Spanish) ESPN3
Saturday, March 14 1:55 a.m. Qualifying ESPN2
  1:55 a.m. Qualifying (Spanish) ESPN3
  11 p.m. Sunday Social ESPN3
Sunday, March 15 Midnight Grand Prix Sunday ESPNEWS
  12:30 a.m. Grand Prix Sunday ESPN
  1:05 a.m. Race ESPN
  1:05 a.m. Race (Spanish) ESPN Deportes
  9:30 a.m. Race (re-air) ESPN2
  7 p.m. Race (re-air) ESPNEWS

(All telecasts also streaming live and available for replay on the ESPN App)

Looks like Australia has banned all travelers from Italy at this point, but not before they came in for the race.  

I was hopingg for a second there that Ferrari might get to run but have all their staff/crew/engineers in quarantine (not actually sick of course but simply "out of an abundance of caution") and then be forced to borrow crew/engineers from another team, and I was thinking wouldn't it be great if that team were Mercedes? :)

Unless y'all have any objections, I'm going to just keep posting motorsport/coronavirus related items just in this thread, rather than posting them in the threads for the specific series. Some of the series don't even have threads...

St. Pete Mayor cancelling IndyCar general admission attendance, also considering race cancellation over coronavirus fears.

"Yesterday I said the situation regarding the #coronavirus was fluid. I said that for a reason. Since yesterday, we've learned of a coronavirus case at an open-air event similar to ours, Bike Week. Then, at an EMS conference across the Bay from us. The @WHO has since called this a global pandemic. My most important job is public safety and health. It is for that reason that we are cancelling general attendance at the @GPSTPETE. We are working w/ the promoters and @IndyCar and will have more announcements later as to whether the race itself will run. I don't make this decision lightly. I strongly believe life must carry on, as best we are able. But the reality now is that's just not possible. I am disappointed. I love this race. But I love this city and our residents more. Thank you for your trust."

Edited by wood
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, wood said:

Unless y'all have any objections, I'm going to just keep posting motorsport/coronavirus related items just in this thread, rather than posting them in the threads for the specific series. Some of the series don't even have threads...

It's AOK with me, I think this one gets the most traffic.

Also, looks like this weekend I might be watching NASCAR for the first time in years...  which team is Rusty Wallace with these days?  Still driving the old MGD rig, right?

• Like 2

Australian GP has been officially cancelled. With McLaren already having one positive case, what are the odds Bahrain happens? I also noticed that said “cancelled” and not “postponed.”

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.formula-1-fia-and-agpc-announce-cancellation-of-the-2020-australian-grand.KKpXZDcd77WbO6T0MGoO7.html

Edited by Dutch

WoO at Cotton Bowl, just postponed. 
That's the final cancellation on the list of things I was gonna do with my boys over spring break. Got nothin' left.
I'm going to queue up a couple seasons of Japanese super formula with English commentary on YouTube.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, elfenix said:
4 hours ago, wood said:
WoO at Cotton Bowl, just postponed. 
That's the final cancellation on the list of things I was gonna do with my boys over spring break. Got nothin' left.

I'm going to queue up a couple seasons of Japanese super formula with English commentary on YouTube.

Yeah we've only watched a couple of episodes of Drive to Survive, so we'll watch that. I think we'll also pick an F1 season and watch it on Overtakefans. No Stars. No Horns baseball. No racing. The boys' baseball, volleyball, & MTB teams are all off for spring break and/or suspended. Got damn. We'll find some stuff to do outside though. We'll probably go karting and/or 4-wheeling somewhere, too. 

4 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

That one sucks!

You're got damn right. Rained out last year & never rescheduled. Next up on the schedule this year, & the virus knocks it out ... and the track could really use it, too.

On 3/13/2020 at 8:21 PM, wood said:

Yeah we've only watched a couple of episodes of Drive to Survive, so we'll watch that. I think we'll also pick an F1 season and watch it on Overtakefans. No Stars. No Horns baseball. No racing. The boys' baseball, volleyball, & MTB teams are all off for spring break and/or suspended. Got damn. We'll find some stuff to do outside though. We'll probably go karting and/or 4-wheeling somewhere, too. 

Are all of the races sans commentary?

3 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Binged the Netflix  series and looking for more content. Recommend me some movies, documentaries or books. Thanks. 

Docs: "1", and Senna. Senna is a bit (ok, a lot) biased toward Senna, but still entertaining.

Go to overtakefans for lots and lots of races. (shhhh)