Formula One 2020

wood

32 minutes ago, Hawndoh said:

If they scrap the whole season and say "Let's start with the new cars next year" would F1 give any money compensation to the teams?

If not I would imagine it would kill HAAS. Maybe some others wouldn't be able to keep going either...

There's some speculation of a superseason combining 2019 & 2020, & pushing back the new car regs to 2021. I don;t really see how this helps too much though, and it creates new problems as well. If they do a superseason, I'd like to see them just do whatever 2019 races they're gonna do -with the 2019 rules, then start the 2020 portion of the superseason using the 2020 regs as planned. IMHO that keeps things on track better. 

THere's also some talk of scrapping the summer break and using it to reschedule some races. Personally, though, I'm just starting to get a bad feeling the whole season is going to be lost.

Not racing-related, but coronavirus-related ... who else is about to be inundated with honey-dos? 

My wife (no pics) is very high energy, a bit ADHD, and now she's gonna be home from work as she's a school teacher. She's gonna find all kinds of shit to do. The good part is that she'll actually just do a lot of it herself. I'll try to keep busy in the yard and with the cars. I'd much rather do that stuff than any work inside.

On a not-too-related COVID 19 note, I went to HEB yesterday (it was open) & things seemed to be calming down somewhat. Certain items still in short supply. I grabbed 5 bananas on the way into the store. There were plenty of them. Then when I got home I noticed they weren't there. I checked my receipt. No bananas. Some motherfucker had taken the bananas off my shopping cart rather than just going and getting some of their own. 

Unreal. People fucking disgust me.

And on that note ... the people doing all the panic shopping are creating the very problem they fear the most. Just fucking shop normally, and there won't even be a problem. /rant

Not that this is some sort of insightful, or deep, comment but I think they should just call off the 2020 season and prepare for 2021. I'd even say they should go back and say the new regs will be in place for 2021. They have a whole year, along with whatever works they have done already, to prepare for that.

I'd prefer to see them run, even if it's not until Spa at the end of August.  If that means pushing back the new technical regs (as they've already done) then I'm ok with that.

Some of these teams likely need the money from running in 2020 just to stay afloat.  I'm all for getting them as much as possible, this season.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, utee94 said:

I'd prefer to see them run, even if it's not until Spa at the end of August.  If that means pushing back the new technical regs (as they've already done) then I'm ok with that.

Some of these teams likely need the money from running in 2020 just to stay afloat.  I'm all for getting them as much as possible, this season.

Good points too

• Like 1

I would, too ...  but imho 15-18 races is probably a pipe dream at this point. That release seemed to me like a carefully worded piece written to reassure sponsors, tv folks, the teams, race promoters, F1 employees, and esp F1 investors...

I wouldn't mind some kind of 'superseason', except with the caveat that they switch to 2021 rules at the end of 2020. But that ship has sailed I guess. A superseason with 2020 rules throughout also eliminates the need for winter testing & allows more flexibility to reschedule races. It would be a bit of a problem for McLaren though, without a switch to the 2021 rules, as they move to Merc power next year.

Some people seem to like the idea of a superseason, but others say it would be too long. GP Fans wrote a story about the idea.  www.gpfans.com/en/articles/51053/should-formula-1-consider-an-18-month-super-season/

7 hours ago, wood said:

I wouldn't mind some kind of 'superseason', except with the caveat that they switch to 2021 rules at the end of 2020. But that ship has sailed I guess. A superseason with 2020 rules throughout also eliminates the need for winter testing & allows more flexibility to reschedule races. It would be a bit of a problem for McLaren though, without a switch to the 2021 rules, as they move to Merc power next year.

Some people seem to like the idea of a superseason, but others say it would be too long. GP Fans wrote a story about the idea.  www.gpfans.com/en/articles/51053/should-formula-1-consider-an-18-month-super-season/

Run the same track two weeks in a row in the opposite direction!!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

A bunch of old farts simulation racing 1975-era cars at Silverstone on the "The Race" YouTube channel right now. 

*JPM is the nameless entry. 

20200328_124754.jpg

20200328_124823.jpg

Nice! I've met 3 of those dudes...

13 hours ago, wood said:

From what I'm hearing, looks like the ax will fall very soon on the Canadian GP ...

Not surprising, Canada was already one of the earliest to perform major actions regarding sports, including pulling its national team from the Olympics even before the decision to cancel was made.

I still believe that IF we have a 2020 F1 season, Spa is going to be the first race.

Supercars at Daytona? World class tracks set for online championship https://www.foxsports.com.au/motorsport/supercars/supercars-at-daytona-world-class-tracks-set-for-online-championship/news-story/ca1c922f1a3530b6b8d40337b9f5be0d

This schedule makes my pants happy ...

Round 1: Phillip Island & Monza (April 😎

Round 2: Silverstone & Barcelona (April 15)

Round 3: Mount Panorama (April 22)

Round 4: Montreal & Watkins Glen (April 29)

Round 5: Spa & Nurburgring (May 6)

Round 6: Circuit of the Americas & Sebring (May 13)

Round 7: Daytona Speedway & Talladega SuperSpeedway (May 20)

Round 8: Imola & Interlagos (May 27)

Round 9: Road Atlanta & Road America (June 3)

Round 10: Oran Park & Mount Panorama (June 10)

https://www.autoweek.com/racing/formula-1/a32038454/bernie-ecclestone-to-be-father-at-89/?source=nl&utm_source=nl_aut&utm_medium=email&date=040420&utm_campaign=nl19931517&utm_term=AAA -- High Minus Dormant and 90 Day Non Openers

Former F1 chief executive Bernie Ecclestone is still busy in retirement. At 89, he is set to be a father for the fourth time, with his his third wife.

"It will be a boy," his wife, Fabiana Flosi, 44, told the Swiss newspaper Blick. She is six months pregnant.

It will be Ecclestone's first son. The F1 chairman emeritus has three daughters: Deborah, 65, Tamara, 35, and Petra, 31.

https://www.autoweek.com/racing/formula-1/a32038454/bernie-ecclestone-to-be-father-at-89/?source=nl&utm_source=nl_aut&utm_medium=email&date=040420&utm_campaign=nl19931517&utm_term=AAA -- High Minus Dormant and 90 Day Non Openers

Former F1 chief executive Bernie Ecclestone is still busy in retirement. At 89, he is set to be a father for the fourth time, with his his third wife.

"It will be a boy," his wife, Fabiana Flosi, 44, told the Swiss newspaper Blick. She is six months pregnant.

It will be Ecclestone's first son. The F1 chairman emeritus has three daughters: Deborah, 65, Tamara, 35, and Petra, 31.
Damn. Old for both of them.

I was watching the F1 online on ESPN2 today. What platform are they using for that. Looked bad ass

The F1 guys are using their officially licensed video game that is on PC, PS4, and XBox One.

The other series have been using iRacing.

The F1 game is prettier and more polished but iRacing has more realistic simulation and more variety of cars and tracks. iRacing is also subscription based and very competitive. The F1 game is an annual new version like Madden or NBA2K or FIFA kind of game.

Yeah the F1 game is fairly difficult with all the driver aids off, but iRacing is hard as shit.  The F1 game is prettier but iRacing is more accurate. Their circuit scanning is amazing, including the bumps and smallest details of the track surface. F1 doesn't do that, & adds in features at some circuits that aren't there, like at COTA where for some reason they gave it a double-deck T15 grandstand, grandstands that don't exist, and completely removing Haywood's Hill from the landscape.

Edited by wood

Two great analyses here from Dieter Rencken re: the effects of Covid-19 on F1...

Will F1 have to ban fans from races to get its 2020 season started? https://www.racefans.net/2020/04/01/will-f1-have-to-ban-fans-from-races-to-get-its-2020-season-started/

Analysis: Which F1 teams are at greatest risk from the financial shock https://www.racefans.net/2020/04/08/analysis-which-f1-teams-are-at-greatest-risk-from-the-financial-shock/