Formula One 2020

wood

Austin: Sporting events, festivals could remain a year away, health authority says

https://www.statesman.com/news/20200422/coronavirus-in-austin-sporting-events-festivals-could-remain-year-away-health-authority-says

“I think a baseline expectation should be that this concept of social distancing, the personal hygiene, the public masking or public facial covering is going to have to continue until we reach herd immunity by one method or another, and that would be primarily through a vaccination,” Escott said.

“So if there are events, like sporting events, like festivals, where there are lots of person-to-person interactions, particularly within 6 feet, particularly when it’s people who are not related, that’s going to substantially increase the risk,” Escott said. “I can expect that at least for the next six months, and perhaps the next year, that events like that are going to be very, very difficult to have unless we have substantial increases in testing and other strategies to further mitigate the threat of those kinds of events.”

4 hours ago, wood said:

Austin: Sporting events, festivals could remain a year away, health authority says

https://www.statesman.com/news/20200422/coronavirus-in-austin-sporting-events-festivals-could-remain-year-away-health-authority-says

Eh, as I keep saying, things will look a lot different in a couple months, as the virus continues to spread, and people realize that tens of millions in our country, and hundreds of millions globally, have already had this.  Containment is not an option and has never been, and "waiting for a vaccine" that truthfully might never come, will be far too late.  

The fear of "if just one person at this sporting event, or that school class, or this restaurant, or that movie, catches it" will be completely gone.  I understand that public officials are attempting to risk manage and prepare the public for the worst, but the truth is, governments in the USA might have another month, maximum, to keep things locked down.  And then, it's over.  

People will have sheltered in place as long as they're willing to do so.  They'll have remained in small groups for that long, as well.  The sole purpose of those activities was to flatten the curve and avoid overwhelming area hospitals-- not to stop the spread.  Because that's impossible.

So in a couple of months, after people get used to these ideas, they'll understand that on September 1, the risks in large gatherings and social interactions aren't anywhere near the same as they were on March 1.  It's going to look like a totally different world by then.

Which is why institutions and organizations need to stop freaking out and making premature decisions.  Just wait and see.  Be smart, be wise, and things are going to look a lot different in a few months.

My opinions, obviously.

• Like 3

On 4/22/2020 at 9:58 PM, utee94 said:

Eh, as I keep saying, things will look a lot different in a couple months, as the virus continues to spread, and people realize that tens of millions in our country, and hundreds of millions globally, have already had this.  Containment is not an option and has never been, and "waiting for a vaccine" that truthfully might never come, will be far too late.  

The fear of "if just one person at this sporting event, or that school class, or this restaurant, or that movie, catches it" will be completely gone.  I understand that public officials are attempting to risk manage and prepare the public for the worst, but the truth is, governments in the USA might have another month, maximum, to keep things locked down.  And then, it's over.  

People will have sheltered in place as long as they're willing to do so.  They'll have remained in small groups for that long, as well.  The sole purpose of those activities was to flatten the curve and avoid overwhelming area hospitals-- not to stop the spread.  Because that's impossible.

So in a couple of months, after people get used to these ideas, they'll understand that on September 1, the risks in large gatherings and social interactions aren't anywhere near the same as they were on March 1.  It's going to look like a totally different world by then.

Which is why institutions and organizations need to stop freaking out and making premature decisions.  Just wait and see.  Be smart, be wise, and things are going to look a lot different in a few months.

My opinions, obviously.

Fair points, and we are all very thankful you are with us at the board level on making these decisions with regard to Autumn event planning in Austin.  ;)

1 hour ago, wood said:

I hope it works out that way. WeWillSee. Meanwhile, Liberty Media CEO Greg Maffei admits the possibility of "zero races" for F1 in 2020:

http://scuderiafans.com/liberty-media-admits-for-the-first-time-that-there-may-be-no-f1-races-taking-place-in-2020/?fbclid=IwAR2cQJX_4X4IOaIITaG1WtPP-bVnksdLFqxW3d5D7vbfLT_g9BsWFvOLJJU

For sure.  I believe I've said a few times, if we see any races at all in 2020, Spa will be our first.

And no matter WHERE the first one is, it'll be considered a bold move at the time.  

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

For sure.  I believe I've said a few times, if we see any races at all in 2020, Spa will be our first.

And no matter WHERE the first one is, it'll be considered a bold move at the time.  

They seem to be trying to pull a double in Austria to open things up ...

F1 CEO Chase Carey provides an update to fans on the latest developments on the 2020 F1 calendar, including a target start date and location…

Although this morning it was announced that the French Grand Prix, due to take place in late June, will not be going ahead, we are now increasingly confident with the progress of our plans to begin our season this summer.

We’re targeting a start to racing in Europe through July, August and beginning of September, with the first race taking place in Austria on 3-5 July weekend. September, October and November, would see us race in Eurasia, Asia and the Americas, finishing the season in the Gulf in December with Bahrain before the traditional finale in Abu Dhabi, having completed between 15-18 races.

We will publish our finalised calendar as soon as we possibly can.

We expect the early races to be without fans but hope fans will be part of our events as we move further into the schedule. We still have to work out many issues like the procedures for the teams and our other partners to enter and operate in each country.

The health and safety of all involved will continue to be priority one and we will only go forward if we are confident we have reliable procedures to address both risks and possible issues.

https://www.formula1.com/content/dam/fom-website/manual/Misc/2020delay/F1 Revised Calendar V3.jpg.transform/9col/image.jpg

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.statement-from-f1-ceo-chase-carey-target-is-to-begin-season-in-austria.5zn2chyMjrqC8n0BkEt9e.html

• Like 1

https://www.autoweek.com/racing/formula-1/a32317567/hypothetical-17-race-2020-f1-schedule/

While the world slowly, but surely, cracks open the doors to open up countries to business, sports and, yes, racing, we wait patiently for a revised Formula 1 schedule.

There is now speculation that exact dates are already being determined, with claims that the Formula One Group has established behind closed doors a provisional calendar that would end up with the series racing 15-18 times in 2020.

We do believe that Formula 1 is aiming to kick off in Austria on July 5 and end the season in Abu Dhabi on Dec. 13. 

After that, the speculation really begins.

Just heard through the grapevine that, due to the pandemic, the push for a 2021 Miami GP has been put off and now they're shooting for 2022. Also hearing that this may lead to a 2021 GP in Indianapolis.

I'd be more interested in a street race in Miami than another attempt at a GP at Indy.  Sorry if that sounds negative.

But whatever,  nobody asked me, and also at this point I'd take 27 consecutive horribad Dallas GP, rather than the "you'll get nothing and like it" we have right now.

Those that have been around hornfans/shaggy/surly for a while, I'm sure will have heard me opine about how much I love Monaco.  I fully understand that it's typically not a great race, but the history and the beauty of it, is what moves me.  It's just a really "pretty" race and I am lamenting the hell out of missing it this year.  

Anyway, this too shall pass.  And all that shit.  Take care, all! ;)

• Like 1

f1-constructor-victories-by-year.png

While it is not up to date I like this to show how the seasons have been dominated, or not. While I was a huge Schumacher fan I just don't, in today's racing, like the complete dominance by Mercedes. Perhaps I just don't like the idea of an Englishman winner for Mercedes and wish it had been Vettel. I hate the NASCAR template that everything has to be exactly the same for every team but I think there has to be something done to make Formula 1 more competitive than just 2.5 teams. I'd like to see some latitude, within the budget.

Just spitballing here.

Maybe that's the price we pay for having the big manufacturers. I'd really like to see them all in F1 but know it is not possible. I love that Ford had so much success and that Schumacher won his first title with a Ford motor. I'd also love to see Goodyear back in the mix. 

Edited by PittsburghTiger
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

f1-constructor-victories-by-year.png

While it is not up to date I like this to show how the seasons have been dominated, or not. While I was a huge Schumacher fan I just don't, in today's racing, like the complete dominance by Mercedes. Perhaps I just don't like the idea of an Englishman winner for Mercedes and wish it had been Vettel. I hate the NASCAR template that everything has to be exactly the same for every team but I think there has to be something done to make Formula 1 more competitive than just 2.5 teams. I'd like to see some latitude, within the budget.

Just spitballing here.

Maybe that's the price we pay for having the big manufacturers. I'd really like to see them all in F1 but know it is not possible. I love that Ford had so much success and that Schumacher won his first title with a Ford motor. I'd also love to see Goodyear back in the mix. 

Yep. The big manufacturers are strangling F1.

14 hours ago, wood said:

Yep. The big manufacturers are strangling F1.

I want the big names there. I thought it was cool when BMW & Jaguar were there. Maybe I'd like them to just supply engines these days. There just needs to be a ceiling for the $$ to make sure that more teams can compete.

So, thejudge13 say they have a leaked FIA document indicating the season starts July 5 in Austria - no journalists allowed on site. In lieu of journalists we'll get Will Buxton.

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/59285/rumor-letter-from-fia-leaked-f1-season-starts-on-5-july-in-austria-.html?campname=highlighted-content&camplink=inarticle1

Motorsport-total.com and Bild reporting that Vettel is leaving Ferrari, done deal, to be announced this week, or perhaps as early as tomorrow.
https://www.motorsport-total.com/formel-1/news/abschied-steht-fest-sebastian-vettel-verlaesst-ferrari-ende-2020-20051114

Lots of merit to this. SmilexTech on Twitter and other Italian twitter is going a bit crazy right now.

25 minutes ago, utee94 said:

So where does he go, and who replaces him?  I usually don't start taking a look at who has contracts that are coming due, until the silly season really heats up during the summer break. 

Ricciardo Is an option. Maybe things really get crazy and Hamilton goes to Ferrari

I doubt Daniel R or Hamilton. Ferrari likes to have a clear primary driver and a support driver. They're all in on LeClerc and won't sign someone to disrupt the dynamic too much.

It will either be Sainz or Antonio G from Alfa.

I wouldn't be surprised if Vettel is not in F1 at all.