Formula One 2020

wood

Same, would rather Daniel. There'd be fireworks with him racing Charles. Sainz while quick is a true #2 in this situation.

Let's see Alonso come back and take that spot at McLaren. Might be a good package with the Merc engines. He is getting kinda old though.

59 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

It is going to be Carlos.

Yeah I think so ...

This article & these comments kinda went under the radar. It came out yesterday before the Vettel exit talk, with Alonso talking about Sainz's bright F1 future. I thought at the time that that last line was especially interesting... What is "it"?

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/938117/1/alonso-backs-sainz-have-great-future-f1

“Carlos is doing great, not only last year,” Alonso explained speaking to Sky F1 ahead of Sunday night’s Virtual Spanish Grand Prix.

“I think last year the whole team did a good season and Carlos was there in the right moment, in the right place. But I think from the very beginning, already for Toro Rosso, he was doing a very good job.

“He had Max Verstappen as a teammate at the beginning, which is never the easiest thing, and then he had Nico Hulkenberg in Renault, so he always had tough competition and he was always very, very competitive.

“I think it's great for the country, good for Spain and I think he will have a great future.”

Given this comment, the Sainz to Ferrari rumors, and the way Alonso reacted in the video when asked about what he'll be doing in 2021 ... Sainz to Ferrari, Alonso to McLaren, imho. But who knows ...

2 hours ago, Hawndoh said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Vettel is not in F1 at all.

Yeah I've been saying Vettel is a dead man walking for 2 years.  And from everything I'd heard, the team had seen enough, and he had seen enough of the team. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, wood said:

Yeah I've been saying Vettel is a dead man walking for 2 years.  And from everything I'd heard, the team had seen enough, and he had seen enough of the team. 

https://www.autoweek.com/racing/formula-1/a32445608/sebastian-vettels-statement-on-why-hes-leaving-ferrari-f1-no-longer-a-common-desire-to-stay-together/?source=nl&utm_source=nl_aut&utm_medium=email&date=051220&utm_campaign=nl20293714&utm_term=AUT_Autoweek_Racing_Daily_Newsletter_Subscribers

Vettel's statement.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Renault?  Oof.  I'd almost rather not see Alonso return at all, than to return to Renault.  Watching him waste his time those last few years at McLaren was bad enough.

I dunno. They'd be aiming for 2022 and there's been a lot of talk that the budget cap sets them up nicely as their budget already fits the cap better than any of the works teams or McLaren.

It'll be fun to watch & see what happens, though.

Edited by wood

Sainz to Ferrari (apparently).  No knock on Sainz, but is this the case of giving the seat to a solid and fast driver who will reliably win points and podiums but isn't going to have "alpha dog pissing contests" with Leclerc? 

https://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/29168923/sainz-set-replace-vettel-ferrari-2021-sources

Edited by Dutch

48 minutes ago, Dutch said:

Sainz to Ferrari (apparently).  No knock on Sainz, but is this the case of giving the seat to a solid and fast driver who will reliably win points and podiums but isn't going to have "alpha dog pissing contests" with Leclerc? 

https://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/29168923/sainz-set-replace-vettel-ferrari-2021-sources

Yep. Another "excellent wingman" like Bottas...

That said, I like Sainz and think he could actually be better than Bottas. But who knows ...

• Like 1

A look at the provisional 2020 calendar http://scuderiafans.com/a-look-at-the-provisional-2020-calendar/

4-5 July Red Bull Ring
11-12 July Red Bull Ring
25-26 July Silverstone
1-2 August Silverstone
8-9 August Hockenheim or Barcelona
22-23 August Hungaroring
29-30 August Spa
5-6 September Monza
19-20 September Baku (F2 only)
26-27 September Sochi (F2 only)
5-6 December Bahrain
12-13 December Yas Marina

Edited by wood

18 hours ago, wood said:

Maybe you are aware, but others might not be:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrari_637

Unhappy with the impending engine regulations in Formula One (which stipulated that the engine must be a V8 configuration), Enzo Ferrari commissioned the design of an IndyCar. He made no secret of his desire to win the Indianapolis 500; however, many believe that his threat to leave F1 for CART was merely a bargaining tool to make the FIA rethink their engine regulations. Ferrari approached Goodyear about the possible CART program, and Goodyear recommended the Truesports CART team for a research and development partnership.

After the 1985 CART season, Truesports and driver Bobby Rahal traveled to Italy to demonstrate a March 85C-Cosworth. The car was tested by both Rahal and Ferrari driver Michele Alboreto at the Fiorano test track. Afterwards, the car was taken apart and studied by Ferrari. In 1986, Ferrari designed and built their own car, which was tested by Alboreto.

Ultimately, this car was never raced as a Ferrari, but was passed on to fellow FIAT subsidiary Alfa Romeo, who were looking to improve their market share in the US.

1920px-Ferrari_637_front-left_Museo_Ferr

54 minutes ago, wood said:

If the UK enforces that 14-day quarantine, then the whole F1 season is in a fair amount of trouble.

Yeah, like the article mentioned, their only choice at that point might be for the 7 UK-based teams to set up temporary HQ somewhere outside the UK.

Good lord, Horner.

Vettel won all four of his world titles with Red Bull in 2010-13 before leaving at the end of the 2014 season, but has remained on good terms with the team.

But Red Bull F1 chief Horner said he did not see a scenario where Vettel could return next year, saying that having two drivers expecting to lead the team rarely ended well.

"I think it's enormously unlikely," Horner said on Sky Sports News.

"We have a long-term agreement with Max [Verstappen]. Alex [Albon] is doing a good job. We've got a good dynamic within the team.

"Experience shows that two alpha males, it doesn't tend to pan out well. Sebastian is still a very competitive grand prix driver. I don't think it would be conducive for our team to have two alphas."

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/vettel-red-bull-return-horner/4793519/

I'm sure Alex loved those comments.

And it wasn't just the Ricciardo stuff the Netflix show highlighted when it comes to Horner double speak. During all the Gasley stuff they constantly showed him saying one thing to Pierre and then absolutely throwing him in the garbage behind his back.

30 minutes ago, Hawndoh said:

I'm sure Alex loved those comments.

And it wasn't just the Ricciardo stuff the Netflix show highlighted when it comes to Horner double speak. During all the Gasley stuff they constantly showed him saying one thing to Pierre and then absolutely throwing him in the garbage behind his back.

Yeah that will come later, I've only watched the first couple episodes.  But it doesn't surprise me at all.  Christian Horner seems like he sucks.

Oh, fyi ...

ESPN Salutes Racing’s Biggest Day with Monaco Grand Prix, Indianapolis 500 Encore Presentations https://espnpressroom.com/us/press-releases/2020/05/espn-salutes-racings-biggest-day-with-monaco-grand-prix-indianapolis-500-encore-presentations/

SCHEDULE FOR ESPN2 MOTORSPORTS TRIBUTE – SUNDAY, MAY 24 

Time (ET) Event Series Network
6 a.m. 2018 Monaco Grand Prix, Circuit de Monaco, Monte Carlo Formula 1 ESPN2
8:30 a.m. 2019 Monaco Grand Prix, Circuit de Monaco, Monte Carlo Formula 1 ESPN2
11 a.m. F2 Virtual Racing – Monaco (Live) Formula 2 ESPN2
Noon F1 Esports Monaco Pro Exhibition (Live) F1 Esports ESPN2
1 p.m. F1 Esports Virtual Monaco Grand Prix (Live) F1 Esports ESPN2
2:30 p.m. F1 Esports Virtual Spanish Grand Prix (encore) F1 Esports ESPN2
3 p.m. 2006 Indianapolis 500, Indianapolis Motor Speedway IndyCar Series ESPN2
5 p.m. 2011 Indianapolis 500, Indianapolis Motor Speedway IndyCar Series ESPN2
7 p.m. 2014 Indianapolis 500, Indianapolis Motor Speedway IndyCar Series ESPN2

All telecasts will also stream live on the ESPN App.

And whoa, this is kinda big ...

F1 teams approve radical rule, budget changes https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-teams-approve-radical-rule-budget-changes/4795544/

Following weeks of discussions between teams, the FIA and F1 bosses about potential changes aimed at cutting costs and improving the show, the ‘New Deal’ proposals were put to a team e-vote on Friday.

Multiple sources have confirmed that teams supported the changes, which included F1’s budget cap being cut from $175 million to $145 million next year and other rules including an aero development handicap system and the use of open source parts.

The key battleground in recent weeks had been the level of the budget cap, with Ferrari in particular reluctant to cut the level too much despite pressure from other teams.

Edited by wood
  • Like 1

And this, too ...

F1 will not receive quarantine exemption from British government https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/no-F1-quarantine-exemption-silverstone/4795519/

And this ...Austin health official casts further doubt on US GP https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/us-gp-austin-doubts-health-official/4794921/

Austin's senior public health official says that large events are unlikely to take place in the Texan city before the end of the year, casting further doubt on the US Grand Prix, which is still scheduled for October 25.

Austin is now operating to Stage 3 of its reopening plan after an initial lockdown, which allows groups of up to 10 "low risk" people to gather. That status would have to move to Stage 1 before major events are even considered.

Dr Mark Escott, the interim medical director and the health authority for Austin Public Health, stressed that allowing large gatherings is not a priority.

"The large events are the first thing that we turned off and are going to be the last thing we're going to turn back on because of that risk of exposing lots of people to one another, particularly individuals of the same household," he told the Austin-Statesman.

"We are working on a plan to help forecast what we think is going to be reasonable, but looking through the end of December, we don't have any indications at this stage that we would be able to mitigate risk enough to have large events, particularly ones [with] over 2,500 [people]."

Buried in further down in the article is imho kind of a bombshell that I had not seen or heard anywhere until now ...

F1 is understood to be keen to still receive hosting fees from flyaway races, in order to mitigate the transport costs involved, while making more favourable arrangements with European promoters.

This is key and is huge imho. If it's true, then this is a big blow to any chances the 2020 USGP happens at COTA, or that GPs happen at most flyaway circuits, except maybe Bahrain and Abu Dhabi.

• Like 1