Formula One 2020

wood

Great finish for Lando/McLaren; really happy for him and his team. But wow Mercades are just so far ahead of the field. Lewis takes a 5-sec pen and still misses 3rd by only 0.198. 

Next weekend should be interesting. It is good to have F1 back. 

Edited by Dutch

I thought Hamilton's penalty was fine. Albon was ahead and should have been given the space.

McLaren has to be encouraged, they had good pace all day and it looks like it may be a fight between them, Racing Point, and Ferrari for third fastest team.

Renault is disappointing, as is Haas.

I also wonder if Williams can challenge Alpha and get off the bottom rung of the ladder. Alpha didn't seem to have much more pace than Russell.

Edited by Hawndoh
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Pretty dull race so far. 

Got any stock tips?! 

The one time I'm actually rooting for Lewis he shits the bed. I can see both sides on his penalty though. 

The font F1 used in their "End Racism" logos really looks like it says "2nd Racism" until you look directly at it.

Kmag did a masterful job keeping his car off the wall and out of the gravel trap. Really incredible car control. 

Is there any reason why the 0.0 beers (Heineken and Estrella whatever the Spanish beer is) are so heavily advertised/represented? 

Are the cars a little louder this year? 

What happens to last year's safety cars? I think I need one of the retired medical car AMG wagons. 

that race was processional as fuck and then the last 10 laps happened.  that's why you play the games!

43 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Is there any reason why the 0.0 beers (Heineken and Estrella whatever the Spanish beer is) are so heavily advertised/represented? 

anti drunk driving campaigns get undermined by regular beer, i guess.

43 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

i was thinking the ferrari onboard sounds like it's muffled or played through an AM radio

3 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

I didn’t like Hamilton’s penalty. From the on board camera, he was turning and never turned to the left into Albon. In other races that was just hard racing. I agree with full
Time stewards

It's hard racing when you have the lead on the exit of the turn and run the other guy off on the outside. When you have the lead, you can claim the racing line on exit. Not when the other guy is ahead tho. When the other car is alongside, or as in this case has the lead, you have to leave him a car's width of room. 

Edited by wood
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hawndoh said:

I thought Hamilton's penalty was fine. Albon was ahead and should have been given the space.

McLaren has to be encouraged, they had good pace all day and it looks like it may be a fight between them, Racing Point, and Ferrari for third fastest team.

Renault is disappointing, as is Haas.

I also wonder if Williams can challenge Alpha and get off the bottom rung of the ladder. Alpha didn't seem to have much more pace than Russell.

Yeah that's a clear penalty.

Definitely encouraged by McLaren. So much quicker than Renault with the same PU, wow. Lando, what a race, and what a (fastest) lap to win it with!

Really feel bad for Albon.

Haas, what is this -  the third straight year they've lost both cars to the same issue in the opener? They're a bit of a joke imho, & from wehat I can tell, they aren't long for the F1 world.

Latifi, wow. Wayyy off the pace. Still finished 11th after all the attrition.

1 hour ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

What happens to last year's safety cars? I think I need one of the retired medical car AMG wagons. 

Didn't notice a different SC. Maybe I missed it.

42 minutes ago, elfenix said:

i was thinking the ferrari onboard sounds like it's muffled or played through an AM radio

It's some kinda funky mic or filter they're using to make the current pu sound higher pitched in a weak, vain attempt to make them sound like the older PUs. Sounds terrible. They've used it in the past but really used it a lot today.

Wonder what this is ... sponsor? Driver? Who knows with Renault.

https://twitter.com/Noemidemiguel/status/1279908855825260548

Translation: As I have been informed, on Wednesday #Renault is planning to make an official announcement. 

After the race, Cyril Abiteboul has told veteran mechanics (those who have been around for more than 15 years) that they have already worked with him. 

Good night 
#F1#Renault

BTW, this is Noemi. She interviewed my kid at F1 Fan Fest 3 or 4 years ago. Mmmm ...

noemi_de_miguel_1.jpg?w=529&h=529&crop=1

Edited by wood

10 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Alonso coming back to Renault in 2021 to race in the midfield.

I doubt he thinks Renault will be competitive in 2021 any more than the rest of us do. He's been saying for a while that he wants to be around for the new rules. Unfortunately those have been pushed back, again, to 2022. In the meantime, the sport will be better off with him back on the grid.

I also think there may be more to this just just a simple driving gig.

Edited by wood

I have read some rumors of “something happening”. We will see.

BTW, does anyone know where The-Race came from? They seemed to pop up during quarantine when they sponsored some sim races, but now they have stuck around and have some pretty big name writers. Did they used to be something else and I missed a name change?

24 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

BTW, does anyone know where The-Race came from? They seemed to pop up during quarantine when they sponsored some sim races, but now they have stuck around and have some pretty big name writers. Did they used to be something else and I missed a name change?

They were around a little while before COVID, but I'm not sure when they actually got started.

Re: the Vettel stuff, there's a lot of talk of something very big being announced tomorrow, and now Turrini has tweeted suggesting there is something big coming from Ferrari tomorrow. Who knows. Nobody's saying what it is, but of course speculation abounds.

IF Vettel is being let go mid-season, that certainly could set off a chain reaction I guess...

Edited by wood

My guess is he is essentially being forced out early, and will probably call it a sabbatical or something. If they’re able to get Sainz early they will, but it won’t matter since they’re pretty off the pace this year.

If they are able to get Sainz early, I’m sure Renault will let Danny go and just being in Fred early.

1 minute ago, Anton Chigurh said:

My guess is he is essentially being forced out early, and will probably call it a sabbatical or something. If they’re able to get Sainz early they will, but it won’t matter since they’re pretty off the pace this year.

If they are able to get Sainz early, I’m sure Renault will let Danny go and just being in Fred early.

Yeah that's the most popular scenario going around. Sounds like Vettel is off the reservation, so to speak...

https://www.autoweek.com/racing/formula-1/a33265471/f1-vettel-says-would-return-red-bull/?source=nl&utm_source=nl_aut&utm_medium=email&date=070920&utm_campaign=nl20862202&utm_term=AUT_Autoweek_Racing_Daily_Newsletter_Subscribers

Sebastian Vettel has confirmed he would accept a Red Bull contract if the team were to offer him one, although Racing Point remains a possible destination for the German, too.

You could say Vettel enjoyed a successful period with Red Bull, securing four drivers’ and constructors’ World Championship doubles between 2010-13. 

The team is now the stomping ground of Max Verstappen, and Vettel was not turned off by the prospect of going toe to toe with Red Bull's current No. 1. Verstappen is currently under contract with Red Bull through 2023. Alexander Albon occupies the other Red Bull seat.

"Generally I'm of the conviction that if you want to win you have to be happy to take on anyone,” current Ferrari driver Vettel said during Thursday's FIA press conference in Austria.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I too think that Red Bull ship has passed through the night. Racing Point though Is interesting. 

Yeah I agree ... but that post was a response to updawg. I shoulda quoted him. I think you & I posted about the same time.

You know ... MotoGP's Ezpeleta has already hinted at an abbreviated 2021 calendar, and this is when calendars are formed for following seasons. We've all been pretty focused on how F1 is handling the 2020 schedule, but they're going to have to start figuring some things out about 2021 pretty soon as well. When do provisional calendars typically come out? September? That's a couple of months away. With the COVID-19 situation still in flux, it seems like planning for next year will also be very difficult, possibly more difficult than adjusting on the fly for this year.

Edited by wood

On 7/8/2020 at 6:15 PM, Anton Chigurh said:

they were doing english language commentary of superformula for the 2019 season  (the SF19 is a bad ass looking car).  back then they were called LetsGoRacing iirc:

edit: looks like they did super gt back in 2018

Edited by elfenix
  • Like 1

I kept seeing new videos on youtube about the STYRIAN Grand Prix and I thought the F1 channel was just re-uploading old shit from last weekend.... had no idea theyre actually hosting a second race there as well

so you got the Italian GP and the Tuscan GP... and then British GP and 70th anniversary GP... they couldnt call the 2nd race the English GP?

Edited by 52-80

The Pink Merc seems to be killing it; Perez and Stroll placed 3rd and 4th in FP2 after Perez led FP1. 

1. Max Verstappen    Red Bull    1:03.660
2. Valtteri Bottas    Mercedes    +0.043
3. Sergio Perez    Racing Point    +0.217
4. Lance Stroll    Racing Point    +0.581
5. Carlos Sainz    McLaren    +0.673
6. Lewis Hamilton    Mercedes    +0.688
7. Alexander Albon    Red Bull    +0.777
8. Lando Norris    McLaren    +0.881
9. Charles Leclerc    Ferrari    +1.046
10. Esteban Ocon    Renault    +1.086
11. Pierre Gasly    AlphaTauri    +1.097
12. Daniil Kvyat    AlphaTauri    +1.390
13. Kimi Raikkonen    Alfa Romeo    +1.492
14. Antonio Giovinazzi    Alfa Romeo    +1.705
15. George Russell    Williams    +1.928
16. Sebastian Vettel    Ferrari    +1.953
17. Nicholas Latifi    Williams    +1.995
18. Kevin Magnussen    Haas    +2.130
19. Romain Grosjean    Haas    +2.436
20. Daniel Ricciardo    Renault    No time set

Edited by Dutch

Ok, what the hell with Ferrari? I read previously that before Covid, they had some issues and did not expect to compete until the latter half of the season. But ... ?

Is Vettel just mailing it in?

Or do their cars just suck so much this year?

Re: getting to 15 races, I'm told there's a street race planned for Jeddah in the spring for the 2021 calendar, and that it's also on standby for a December or January date on the 2020 calendar if needed.

Edited by wood

I'm glad they completed that today. That just showed the skill level these guys possess. I've been a Vettel fan since he burst on the scene but I do take some perverse pleasure in watching Ferrari struggle. The Ferrari, like I said last week, are looking like they could have a disastrous season.

How funny would it be if Norris and Sainz beat one, or both, of Vettel and LeClerc in this season's standings?

Seven of the top-10 engines today are Renault and Honda. That's pretty cool

I really am beginning to root for Russell. So glad to see new(ish) faces, and cars, like Ocon, Albon and Gasly doing well. I think Gasly got a bit of a raw deal last year.

Even in the terrible weather that track, and setting, is gorgeous.

It's time for Haas to decide if they really want to do this. It's also past time for Kimi to step aside.

Fun stuff, as it should be.

Vettel is being a cunt... and not sure I blame him, but no reason for him to even try this season. They should cut him a check and have their third driver in the car.   Vettel has nothing to prove and will sign a huge deal for next year. 

Hamilton was on another level today. Circa 2000 tiger woods. 

Racing point is fun as hell.