Formula One 2020

wood

Silverstone is fixing the curb at Chapel that all the cars were ramming the front left into. Might mean less tire damage.

Also, Ferrari, after checking with Haas, has jumped into the Pink Arrows controversy, writing to the FIA for clarification (not sure of what, exactly - I suppose whether working from previously legal 2019 brake duct tech transfer as the basis for your 2020 brake ducts is ok based on what's discussed in this article)

https://www.grandprix.com/news/ferrari-adds-weight-to-pink-mercedes-controversy.html

3 hours ago, elfenix said:

lso, Ferrari, after checking with Haas, has jumped into the Pink Arrows controversy, writing to the FIA for clarification (not sure of what, exactly - I suppose whether working from previously legal 2019 brake duct tech transfer as the basis for your 2020 brake ducts is ok based on what's discussed in this article)

https://www.grandprix.com/news/ferrari-adds-weight-to-pink-mercedes-controversy.html

Maybe they should just copy it themselves and produce a car that doesn't suck?   I'd be in favor of that.

• Like 1

from the article:

However, Gunther Steiner says that when the rules changed, Haas had to stop using Ferrari brake ducts for 2020.

"I hired three engineers and had tools built to develop and build our own brake ducts," he told Auto Motor und Sport.

However, the brake duct issue is just the tip of the iceberg.

Dr Helmut Marko has already warned that if copying a full car based on photographs is now allowed, Red Bull will supply a full chassis to Alpha Tauri in 2021.

Always wondered why the gap was so large between the two red bull teams

On 8/2/2020 at 11:46 AM, 52-80 said:

Hamilton has Brady qualities.  No matter what happens, he just wins.  Delivers when he needs to deliver. 

Gets beaten by Bottas all weekend?  No problem, take pole in Q3.

But unlike Brady, Hamilton is corny as fuck.

Lewis Hamilton @LewisHamilton · 21h I made plenty of mistakes out there today, this one was visible and I wanted to show you. The mistakes are where I learn the most, about myself, the car, my emotions. It’s not how you fall, it’s how you get back up and fight! If I can do it, so can you. #NeverGiveUp

He's spoken with this artificially constructed PRspeak for so long ,I bet he's lost his real voice.

I have always been under the impression that there really isn't very much to Lewis's personality underneath all his various projections and pronouncements. That's part of why he's often rubbed me the wrong way - he isn't putting on a false front so much as there isn't much underneath it anyway. 

In what sounds like a direct contrast to how you see him, I feel like he's been more genuine than ever lately, even though most of his current persona is still mostly the same pablum. 

As an aside, who was the first F1 driver to really embrace the "so......yeah" verbal crutch to do all of their heavy lifting in media interviews? Nico Rosberg? 

It seems like every driver now works in 2-3 of them per live statement (that is, spontaneous or "in the moment" interactions, as opposed to a practiced or planned thing when they've had more time to come up with a neutral non-comment.)

If you haven't noticed this yet, keep an ear open for it - it won't take long. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

I have always been under the impression that there really isn't very much to Lewis's personality underneath all his various projections and pronouncements. That's part of why he's often rubbed me the wrong way - he isn't putting on a false front so much as there isn't much underneath it anyway. 

In what sounds like a direct contrast to how you see him, I feel like he's been more genuine than ever lately, even though most of his current persona is still mostly the same pablum. 

As an aside, who was the first F1 driver to really embrace the "so......yeah" verbal crutch to do all of their heavy lifting in media interviews? Nico Rosberg? 

It seems like every driver now works in 2-3 of them per live statement (that is, spontaneous or "in the moment" interactions, as opposed to a practiced or planned thing when they've had more time to come up with a neutral non-comment.)

If you haven't noticed this yet, keep an ear open for it - it won't take long. 

I don't think it's an F1 thing so much as a generational thing.  20/30-somethings include that in their speech regardless of occupation or background, it's pretty common among their commentary both in real life and social media.

So, Renault has “won” the protest.

The quick summary:

• RP fined €400k

• RP loses 15 constructors points

• RP drivers keep their driver’s points

• RP may continue to use the brake ducts

RP gets brake duct info from a period of late 2018 to late 2019. This was obtained legally as the rule was not in effect.

RP also ran a similar front brake duct in sessions last year, because of this, they really didn’t have a problem with them since the 2020 ducts could then be considered and evolution of those.

The rears, however (which are much more complex), were never used in any session in 2019, and only debuted this year. Because of this, they are considered as an infringement.

It gets tricky though since this was a sporting regulation and not a technical one. It’s a violation of the “intent” of a rule and not a hard rule itself and, importantly, has not breached any technical regulation.

Because the rear brake ducts meet all technical regulations and themselves are legal in that way, the cars are not disqualified.

The monetary penalty was considered an amount equal to what regular development would have cost. The penalty points were given for the first Austria race, and the subsequent ones are reprimands, but they can continue to use them, as the FIA understands that they can’t “unlearn” what they have.

I doubt Renault will find it acceptable, and we will see how they respond.

Also, according to Tombazis, they will be adding brew regulation soon, as in this year, to prevent this from continuing to happen.

Hopefully Mercedes will continue to struggle with the heat so we can have some fun this season. Spain should be hot.

Great drive by LeClerc. He's making chicken salad out of chicken shit. Albon looks great, after the starts. Pretty invisible day for Racing Point, but solid finishes. Nice day for Ocon, bad day for Danny Ric. I still like Norris.

Terrific job by Max, and Honda. I hope they can really start to push Mercedes.

Vettel, 🤔, this season is not going to end well.

Edited by PittsburghTiger
  • Like 1

Hopefully Mercedes will continue to struggle with the heat so we can have some fun this season. Spain should be hot.
Great drive by LeClerc. He's making chicken salad out of chicken shit. Albon looks great, after the starts. Pretty invisible day for Racing Point, but solid finishes. Nice day for Ocon, bad day for Danny Ric. I still like Norris.
Terrific job by Max, and Honda. I hope they can really start to push Mercedes.
Vettel, , this season is not going to end well.

Eh, it was kind of a 3 headed monster for Merc.

The tires were not ideal for the circuit (it’s very high wear, and of course there were already worries about the compounds going in), the minimum pressures were changed after last week and set very high, and the temp was hot. On Friday and Saturday without the high temps (but still with the high pressures), Merc were still pretty far in front.

Obviously the Bulls made it work really well, but they had to be on it, and they were.

I was surprised that there was no SC today.

3 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Eh, it was kind of a 3 headed monster for Merc.

The tires were not ideal for the circuit (it’s very high wear, and of course there were already worries about the compounds going in), the minimum pressures were changed after last week and set very high, and the temp was hot. On Friday and Saturday without the high temps (but still with the high pressures), Merc were still pretty far in front.

Obviously the Bulls made it work really well, but they had to be on it, and they were.

I was surprised that there was no SC today.

No doubt. But, those were the conditions for the day.

No doubt. But, those were the conditions for the day.

Absolutely. I just don’t think it will happen all that much.

Edit: apparently Mercedes were even running over the minimum pressure spec just to be safe (also where Lewis’ comment about Max running “less pressure” came from). That really

Must have felt like driving on balloons.

last year lots of denial from vettel fans about leclerc being superior, and some favoritism from within ferrari itself and a loose leash leading to some bad crashes.

if they had put the chips on leclerc, that wouldve been an easy 3rd place in wdc

Great strategery call by red bull and great drive from max looking after those tires. I was a bit mind bottled they called him in for his first stop right when they did, another lap and he would have been well clear of bottas. But he got the job done after a very slow stop by red bull standards.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/7/2020 at 4:47 PM, elfenix said:

you didn't violate the rule so we're fining you money and 15 constructors points (which are money, ultimately) and letting you continue to use the parts that we're not really good with is so F1.

Yep. It's like being given the answers to your math exams by the best student in the class. You use them on every test. Then another student calls you out, and you lie about how you got the answers. After an investigation finds that you cheated, and lied about how you did it, you're only penalized for cheating once, and are told you can continue to use the answers of future tests. Zero chance this is over...