Formula One 2020

wood

Sure, but they could have already done that if they wanted to. The only reason they have the different modes in the first place is because they didn't want to run the fastest modes all the time.

Not without giving up their highest Q mode, though. They measure engine wear by monitoring knock. They have a finite amount of high mode usage, since it does cause engine knock. Without the highest ICE mode in Q, they’re able to use their higher race mode as a normal mode now, since they are distributing that wear that they would normally get from Q mode onto the race mode.

Before, it was strat 3 for 2 runs in Q2, strat 2 for 2 runs in Q3, and the 250 or whatever laps of high race mode (I don’t know which strat that one was/is). Now it’s just one compromised mode of course that is a little slower in Q and faster in the race. I’d still like to see how it goes at other tracks though, of course.

3 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Not without giving up their highest Q mode, though. They measure engine wear by monitoring knock. They have a finite amount of high mode usage, since it does cause engine knock. Without the highest ICE mode in Q, they’re able to use their higher race mode as a normal mode now, since they are distributing that wear that they would normally get from Q mode onto the race mode.

Before, it was strat 3 for 2 runs in Q2, strat 2 for 2 runs in Q3, and the 250 or whatever laps of high race mode (I don’t know which strat that one was/is). Now it’s just one compromised mode of course that is a little slower in Q and faster in the race. I’d still like to see how it goes at other tracks though, of course.

Sure. They could have done the same before though. If what they have to do now is better, or even just as good as before, they'd have been doing it before. Toto is just spinning it imho. It's interesting because he usually gives everything the old Lou Holtz/Mack Brown "They're all just as good as we are" spin.

Sure. They could have done the same before though. If what they have to do now is better, or even just as good as before, they'd have been doing it before. Toto is just spinning it imho. It's interesting because he usually gives everything the old Lou Holtz/Mack Brown "They're all just as good as we are" spin.

Except that the other teams would have still had their Q mode then. They don’t anymore.

It affects everyone, but it affects Mercedes less.

10 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Lolwut. I was not aware seeking clarification was crying.

Do we really know what he was doing in the office? But even if that's what he was doing, it was stupid. What's to clarify? It was a clear, deserved penalty.  The only thing weird about it was how long it took them to hand out Lewis's penalty after GIO's came down.

17 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Except that the other teams would have still had their Q mode then. They don’t anymore.

The other teams may have Q modes, but they wouldn't be as different to their race modes as Merc's, because Merc's engine has been so strong that they don't need to use as much of it as the rest need to use. By all accounts I've seen, the Renault PU is hampered the least by the new rule, which is consistent with what we saw today with McLaren, but I never expected it to knock Merc off the top spot. Anyone who expected that was being unrealistic. I do love that the teams now have a tougher decision to make during the weekend about what mode to run rather than being able to constantly micromanage every aspect of the PU from the pit wall.

Edited by wood

18 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Ferrari supposedly doesn’t have one and Honda said this was the first year they do. Mercedes is the clear loser.

I think their performance in traffic was telling, they don’t bother to put any set up thought for the car in regards to running in traffic.  First lap party mode had allowed them to clear the field in almost every race, and the blue flag negates having to worry about the rear of the field.  They are basically set up to run in clear air.  This isn’t the first race they struggled with engine and tire temps as soon as they get behind someone.  

Them turning it up could lead to more failures which at this point is welcome for competition. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Ferrari supposedly doesn’t have one and Honda said this was the first year they do. Mercedes is the clear loser.

I think their performance in traffic was telling, they don’t bother to put any set up thought for the car in regards to running in traffic.  First lap party mode had allowed them to clear the field in almost every race, and the blue flag negates having to worry about the rear of the field.  They are basically set up to run in clear air.  This isn’t the first race they struggled with engine and tire temps as soon as they get behind someone.  

Them turning it up could lead to more failures which at this point is welcome for competition. 

Yeah the car is clearly set up - likely even designed - solely to run up front. Thanks for that about Ferrari and Honda. I was thinking I had heard that, but couldn't remember which teams. Yep, if you have to run hot all the time to try to compete, there's no reason to have a Q mode. That's the point.

And yeah re: the competition, these reliability rules are terrible for the smaller teams and for the show.

Did you not see Hamilton come from last to 7th? Traffic is not an issue for him. Bottas might have issues.
Oh, it’s not crying if it gets you out of a penalty. Anything to win.

11 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

Did you not see Hamilton come from last to 7th? Traffic is not an issue for him. Bottas might have issues.

Lewis is no Bottas, thankfully, but Bottas probably would have done almost as well in that car moving up against those cars. The real issues come when they're following quick cars.

Edited by wood

Just now, Goofyboy said:

He came through traffic but only took 10 seconds off his gap to first. He came out just under 28 seconds behind Gasly with half the race to go. He was still 17 seconds behind the leader at the finish. The car is clearly on another level, but with Q mode maybe he gets the podium. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, ChickenSandwich said:

He came through traffic but only took 10 seconds off his gap to first. He came out just under 28 seconds behind Gasly with half the race to go. He was still 17 seconds behind the leader at the finish. The car is clearly on another level, but with Q mode maybe he gets the podium. 

Yep, in 26 laps he made up 11 seconds on cars who were battling the entire time compared to his clean air for the first several laps and then cars who basically acted like they were blue flagged.

Well, 10 seconds of that was gained in the first 8 laps (on lap 29 he was 30 seconds behind and on lap 37 he was 20), then he hit traffic of course. Damn dirty air!

Finally watched the race. Way to go Gasly!!! I hope he walks by Horner and tells him to eat shit. Great racing after the restart, Merc with the rare screw up. Sainz almost pulled it off. Everybody shits on Stroll, but the kid has talent. Haha fuck Redbull and those twats Marko and Horner.

Ferrari, sigh..... glad Leclerc is ok, that crash was scary. Poor Vettel he deserves better than this. I thought Renault would have a shot at a podium. 

So happy for Gasly. Crazy race, Hamilton finishing 7th after that colossal screw-up shows how strong that car is. Though it weakness is running in traffic. Great Race!

1 hour ago, Kdub said:

Finally watched the race. Way to go Gasly!!! I hope he walks by Horner and tells him to eat shit. Great racing after the restart, Merc with the rare screw up. Sainz almost pulled it off. Everybody shits on Stroll, but the kid has talent. Haha fuck Redbull and those twats Marko and Horner.

Stroll got lucky. Should have seen a penalty for blowing through the breaking zone and rejoining without losing a spot. Then the red flag free pit stop was beyond fortuitous. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, wood said:

Wolff says lack of engine modes hindered Monza fightback https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mercedes-engine-mode-monza-fightback/4870757/

just shows they were using it waaayyy more than just qualifying, and complaining about not being able to make up 30 seconds in half a race shows that they will not really be penalized by moving to the back of the grid for a power unit swap if they ran party mode for prolonged periods during a race

Should have turned it up on Wednesday Wolff.

Edited by ChickenSandwich

just shows they were using it waaayyy more than just qualifying, and complaining about not being able to make up 30 seconds in half a race shows that they will not really be penalized by moving to the back of the grid for a power unit swap if they ran party mode for prolonged periods during a race

Should have turned it up on Wednesday Wolff.

We now have a huge dirty air problem.

Lewis in clean air was obviously fine (he was 13.5 seconds up the road from Sainz in 20 laps before the SC). Others had big issues because the frozen engine modes have exacerbated the dirty air problem. Sainz in a much faster McLaren couldn’t get by Gasly because of it either.

I’m actually pretty concerned about it. Aside from Lewis passing some mostly slower cars, and Kimi (who is in a backmarker Sauber) dropping like a rock since he took softs for some reason, there were no overtakes in the last half of the race. Bottas and Max both stated they couldn’t hardly race due to engine temps. Max even retired due to overheating. I feel like it’s only going to get worse.

Hell, even in the first part of the race, the grid doesn’t even change after the first few laps until the SC. Albon passed a Haas and an Alfa, and KMag passed a Williams, but that’s it.

Lap 4

8b733568881211170009879d7962969d.jpg

Lap 18

3af17918b3ef564c51af7a645a2163db.jpg

Lap 31

ad6ad9a33b1f626ad0f39da980234622.jpg

End of race

738c5471d2db71cdf5bd1c28a83eca24.jpg

That’s like, 10 overtakes and Hamilton had 8 of them. Mugello doesn’t look like it’s going to fare much better either.

That’s some shady shit, Prepuce. 

On 9/5/2020 at 11:58 AM, Prepuce of Doom said:

Not that I expect that anyone is reading this thread before watching qualifying, or that anyone will go back and look, but there was a really cool shot at the 10:16 - 10:09 mark of Q3 where you could really see the aero "wake" coming off of Bottas's car where it disrupted the "shimmering heat waves" (don't know the technical team, but you know what I mean) coming off of the track surface. 

Also, I realize that this will never happen, but I would love to see Vettel just say fuck it and sign up with Tony Stewart's SRX series. 

This (plus Willy T. Ribbs) is the first half of the list of participants. 

20200905_115653.jpg

On 9/6/2020 at 3:53 PM, Prepuce of Doom said:

Looks like I called it yesterday... 

Anyway. If you weren’t a liar, this could have been you. 

Betting on sports is a great way for most people to prove they aren't clairvoyant and drain their bank accounts. But sometimes, ultra long-shot bets pay off, as they did for a Finnish gambler who dropped just a few cents on an unthinkable podium order for Formula 1's Italian Grand Prix this past weekend and walked away with tens of thousands of dollars.Per Scandinavia's Yle, the unnamed Tampere, Finland gambler put $0.24 on a podium consisting of Pierre Gasly, Carlos Sainz, and Lance Stroll. Not a likely finishing order for a trio of drivers who qualified tenth, third, and eighth respectively, and had to outrace the all-conquering Mercedes-AMG team. Betting odds for this order were thus rated at 166,990:1 by Finland's state-owned gambling monopoly Veikkaus, but the pieces for this order slowly fell into place.

Valtteri Bottas lost positions at the start, twin safety cars disrupted the running order, and a heavy penalty knocked Lewis Hamilton out of the lead, promoting Gasly—who timed his pit stop impeccably—to a race lead he clung to for dear life.

In the end, Gasly finished a mere 0.415 seconds ahead of Sainz, notching up F1's closest race finish in a decade, his first career win, and the second in his team's history; the other coming from a similarly unusual Italian Grand Prix in 2008 courtesy of Sebastian Vettel's first-ever win. And while Gasly left the track with a trophy, a full inbox, and the respect of the F1 community, the Finn who bet on his victory came away about $39,390 richer.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

That’s some shady shit, Prepuce. 

Anyway. If you weren’t a liar, this could have been you. 

Betting on sports is a great way for most people to prove they aren't clairvoyant and drain their bank accounts. But sometimes, ultra long-shot bets pay off, as they did for a Finnish gambler who dropped just a few cents on an unthinkable podium order for Formula 1's Italian Grand Prix this past weekend and walked away with tens of thousands of dollars.Per Scandinavia's Yle, the unnamed Tampere, Finland gambler put $0.24 on a podium consisting of Pierre Gasly, Carlos Sainz, and Lance Stroll. Not a likely finishing order for a trio of drivers who qualified tenth, third, and eighth respectively, and had to outrace the all-conquering Mercedes-AMG team. Betting odds for this order were thus rated at 166,990:1 by Finland's state-owned gambling monopoly Veikkaus, but the pieces for this order slowly fell into place.

Valtteri Bottas lost positions at the start, twin safety cars disrupted the running order, and a heavy penalty knocked Lewis Hamilton out of the lead, promoting Gasly—who timed his pit stop impeccably—to a race lead he clung to for dear life.

In the end, Gasly finished a mere 0.415 seconds ahead of Sainz, notching up F1's closest race finish in a decade, his first career win, and the second in his team's history; the other coming from a similarly unusual Italian Grand Prix in 2008 courtesy of Sebastian Vettel's first-ever win. And while Gasly left the track with a trophy, a full inbox, and the respect of the F1 community, the Finn who bet on his victory came away about $39,390 richer.

LOL, yep. I fell for that too. Damn you, PoD!

That's a helluva bet...

That may not be a bad strategy - lay out very small amounts every week on every combo of podium finishers. How many possible combos would there be? 180?

Edited by wood

1 hour ago, wood said:

LOL, yep. I fell for that too. Damn you, PoD!

That's a helluva bet...

That may not be a bad strategy - lay out very small amounts every week on every combo of podium finishers. How many possible combos would there be? 180?

Actually, there are 6,840 permutations of 3 in an exact order out of a field of 20. 

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Hook 'Em 1

So, Checo is out ... Man, I feel bad for him, esp after all he's done for that team. Hope he lands in a good spot.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/54095848

Just 10 hours after this article quoted Otmar saying their 2021 lineup would be the same as the last two years...

https://www.essentiallysports.com/f1-news-tuscan-grand-prix-sebastian-vettel-racing-point-boss-shuts-the-door-on-potential-aston-martin-seat-in-bizarre-interview/

This is weird...

Edited by wood