Formula One 2020

wood

Some random thoughts, what a crazy race. Like someone said, it was either crazy shit going down or boring with Mercedes leaving everyone.

Sucks but Albon is toast I think. It took a race with only what, 13 finishers to get that podium? I guess it helps when Lewis doesn't push you off the track when you are on your way to a podium. Also sucks to be Max's teammate unless you are a #1 at any other team.

I love this season in that we are getting races on circuits that normally wouldn't get a race. Mugello, Turkey, Algarve, etc. Even that "oval" in Bahrain will be different.

Also, if you haven't seen it already, Mick drove the F2004 before the race while wearing his dad's helmet. 

Sorry for rambling. lol

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, mcbrisket said:

Some random thoughts, what a crazy race. Like someone said, it was either crazy shit going down or boring with Mercedes leaving everyone.

Sucks but Albon is toast I think. It took a race with only what, 13 finishers to get that podium? I guess it helps when Lewis doesn't push you off the track when you are on your way to a podium. Also sucks to be Max's teammate unless you are a #1 at any other team.

I love this season in that we are getting races on circuits that normally wouldn't get a race. Mugello, Turkey, Algarve, etc. Even that "oval" in Bahrain will be different.

Also, if you haven't seen it already, Mick drove the F2004 before the race while wearing his dad's helmet. 

Sorry for rambling. lol

that sound.....god i miss that.  

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, mcbrisket said:

Sorry for rambling. lol

2 minutes ago, Eugene11 said:

that sound.....god i miss that.  

All kinds of AWESOME!

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, mcbrisket said:

Sorry for rambling. lol

Yeah man, the commentating crew could hardly contain themselves when that car fired up and came around. Esp Martin. He basically just said "Fuck it. I'm gonna stop talking & listen to that glorious sound". 

I've seen this same reaction at the track when V10s come around. People literally just stop what they're doing & come running, like Forrest Gump running off the shrimp boat when Lt. Dan showed up. The V10s are that compelling. For many people, they make a sound that's like the most beautiful opera ever written.

• Hook 'Em 1

I know I’d feel somewhat different in person, but I am not a huge fan of the V10 sound.

But, I’m not a huge fan of V10 road cars either (even the LFA and Carrera GT).

Ferrari Colombo V12
Honda RA273E
3.5L V12 era stuff
Cosworth-Ford DFV

Those are my jam. The V10s are still brawny as hell, I just don’t really enjoy their tone.

• Hook 'Em 1

IndyCars pre 2014 were quiet compared to F1. F1 engines used to dwarf IndyCars in terms of sound, but not any more.  IndyCars haven't really changed much recently in terms of their sound, but now they're much louder than F1 cars are.

Re: the current F1 engine sound, they'd no doubt sound much better with some more fuel & rpms. One of the biggest things I miss with them is just the pronounced differences in sound with every tiny throttle input with the previous engines. You could really hear every movement of the driver's right foot. The current PUs just hum along basically in a monotone drone. They've improved, but they're still miles off even the harsh V8s.

imho:

V10>V12>>>V8>>>>>>V6 Hybrid

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

When I lived in Montreal (pre engine change), I was 5 miles away from the track and the sound would shake my walls. 

in Singapore, I live easy walking distance from the circuit and I wouldn’t know they are practicing. 

Yep. Walking across the bridge to Ile Notre Dame as FP3 was starting in 2010 is one of my favorite memories, with the sound bouncing around through the trees, even as the cars set off on their installation laps. At COTA in 2012 & 2013 you could be sitting out at T11 and hear the cars firing up in the pit lane. You could track a single car's progress all the way around the track just from the sound. Can't do that now, & if you aren't paying attention during an F1 weekend, a car can literally sneak up on you.

1 hour ago, wood said:

IndyCars pre 2014 were quiet compared to F1. F1 engines used to dwarf IndyCars in terms of sound, but not any more.  IndyCars haven't really changed much recently in terms of their sound, but now they're much louder than F1 cars are.

Re: the current F1 engine sound, they'd no doubt sound much better with some more fuel & rpms. One of the biggest things I miss with them is just the pronounced differences in sound with every tiny throttle input with the previous engines. You could really hear every movement of the driver's right foot. The current PUs just hum along basically in a monotone drone. They've improved, but they're still miles off even the harsh V8s.

imho:

V10>V12>>>V8>>>>>>V6 Hybrid

Exactly how I rate them as well.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Yikes. Wonder if posting it today was prompted by what Joe Saward said to that 18 year old dyslexic girl today. These old, white journalists have a pretty inflated sense of self worth.

I have always thought Saward was a mega tool, but today he really showed his lack of self-awareness.

Joe is a gigantic POS. What did he say ... now?

Edited by wood

On 9/15/2020 at 7:12 AM, wood said:

IndyCars haven't really changed much recently in terms of their sound, but now they're much louder than F1 cars are

i haven't particularly thought that has been the case when i've been sitting on the lawn at mid ohio.  maybe they're louder racing in a pack at full bore on an oval. 

Joe is a gigantic POS. What did he say ... now?

An 18 year old dyslexic girl aspiring to be a journalist (who is starting at Sheffield U soon, but isn’t there yet), posted an article on Drivetribe about Lance Stroll.

Yeah, it was not written super well and had some grammar mistakes, but Joe thinks it’s a good idea to reply directly to her tweet and say this:

bbfc237fc0812dbc1e70382bb8aa66c8.jpg

He deleted that reply, but then later doubled down by saying it was misconstrued. There is nothing there to misconstrue, you douchebag.

Then people pointed out his hypocrisy by showing typos on his site and in various tweets.

He then posts shit like this:

He says he doesn’t mind criticism (even if it’s misguided)? What? You don’t get to decide if criticism is misguided.
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, elfenix said:

i haven't particularly thought that has been the case when i've been sitting on the lawn at mid ohio.  maybe they're louder racing in a pack at full bore on an oval. 

Don't get me wrong, I don't think they're super loud or that they sound all that good. They're just a lot louder than an F1 car, because F1 cars have gotten so much quieter.

Edited by wood

8 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

An 18 year old dyslexic girl aspiring to be a journalist (who is starting at Sheffield U soon, but isn’t there yet), posted an article on Drivetribe about Lance Stroll.

Yeah, it was not written super well and had some grammar mistakes, but Joe thinks it’s a good idea to reply directly to her tweet and say this:

He deleted that reply, but then later doubled down by saying it was misconstrued. There is nothing there to misconstrue, you douchebag.

Then people pointed out his hypocrisy by showing typos on his site and in various tweets.

He says he doesn’t mind criticism (even if it’s misguided)? What? You don’t get to decide if criticism is misguided.

Yeah, and Joe saying he doesn't mind criticism ... that's a fucking laugh. That dude can't even be civil to anyone who disagrees with him. Ever. A prick of the highest order. I still can't understand why F1 continues to give him Media Passes. Dude has made a career off of just being able to get into the Paddock. Dude must have a buncha dirt on some people ....

Edited by wood
  • Like 1

Looking at his responses today ... most people probably don't know it, but he's like that all the time, on his blog, on twitter, in comments sections of articles he writes, etc. He shits all over anyone who doesn't blow him for his - lol -  'amazing insights'. Fuck that POS.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Thin-skinned, defensive, and aggressively attacking.  Reminds me of the twitter style of another narcissistic old white dude, that's in the news daily.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, elfenix said:

9 hours ago, wood said:

Don't get me wrong, I don't think they're super loud or that they sound all that good. They're just a lot louder than an F1 car, because F1 cars have gotten so much quieter.

9 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

They weren’t that loud when I was at TMS in 2015.

I know it’s a phone video, but I was pretty close.

https://imgur.com/a/DylBr8X

The Indycars at COTA for the race in March 2019 were definitely louder than the F1 cars on the same track.  Not a LOT louder, but definitely noticeably louder.

5 hours ago, utee94 said:

Crap that just reminds me how bummed I was that the Indycar race at COTA was canceled last spring due to the GD coronas.  And now I'm thinking about how the USGP is also canceled.

2020 sucks ass.

From what I hear, 2021 may suck just as much for COTA in regard to F1...and maybe Oz and the rest of the Americas as well.

Edited by wood

4 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Saward seems like a cockbag.  He could of been nicer.  But to be fair, I also would of jumped on someone for writing "should of".

Saward has an extensive history of cockbaggedness, which likely contributed to the reaction to him in this case...

20 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

They should hold it in June at 1:00pm local time so I can watch a race with 5 pit stops for everyone.

Just kidding, don't want to see a driver have a heat stroke.

Yeah, of course it'll never happen, but  I've always kinda wished they'd hold a race here in mid-late August, just so I could see how they handle or don't handle all the problems that would come with that kind of heat.

My guess: Not very well.

I always have to laugh when the talk about the 'scorching' 80-85 temps at Austria or the 'incredible' Singapore heat

Edited by wood