Formula One 2020

wood

I do want to see some more knowledgeable folks talk about what they did with the engine mode restrictions. Because I think it really played a part today. Hamilton gained a lot of ground in free air. He did have to work a bit for some of those overtakes. But yeah, he is amazing, with a great great car.

Toto stated earlier that they could run the high race engine mode for like 250 laps per power unit before (I’ll find the number he stated), but without using “party mode” they can basically run it full time in the race now.

Monza isn’t quite a representative race, so I’d like to see what happens in Mugello, but Merc will be faster overall in races than they were before. I don’t know why Bottas had so much trouble, though.

It was reported that they already shifted engine development in anticipation of this, too.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/151913/mercedes-planned-party-mode-ban-contingency--wolff

Logan Sargeant was doing well in F3 but came across on his teammate a bit at Ascari, which ended both of their races. Luckily for him, the points leader also spun out. Both have grid penalties for the next race. Next weekend is the last one for F3.

Strong race for Mick in F2 as well, having to manage a huge flat spot. Ended up on the podium after Ticktum was DSQ. He’s now second in the championship.

6 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

No party mode to clear the field. Seems engine mode restriction working. Sure the Merc is still faster but Lewis wasn’t up two seconds until the third lap instead of section 2 of lap one. 

Yep. People say it's not working, but it is working just as predicted by many. It was never a magic bullet that was gonna change the order.

5 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

The penalty was just too severe. Hamilton had a 10 second lead before the caution and goes down by 30 seconds. Bullshit 

No, it was fine. The pits were clearly closed & he got a free pit stop, so just giving him a stop & go + 0s would have still been a net gain for him. It's not even a penalty til they add the 5 or 10s.

4 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

On the broadcast the said Stroll was able to change his tires during the red flag. Was every team available to change tires during the red flag?

Yes. Everyone could change tires, but it really fucked teams that had just changed, like McLaren. It's a McLaren 1-2 without the red flag. Stupid rule. I get letting them fix damaged parts, but allowing normal pit stop work to be done under the red is bullshit. Fun 2nd half of the race, but that rules just sucks.

Edited by wood

4 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Toto stated earlier that they could run the high race engine mode for like 250 laps per power unit before (I’ll find the number he stated), but without using “party mode” they can basically run it full time in the race now.

Sure, but they could have already done that if they wanted to. The only reason they have the different modes in the first place is because they didn't want to run the fastest modes all the time.

2 hours ago, elfenix said:

Everyone: ricciardo is fighting bottas for position this is amazing!

Camera guy: here's sergio perez

Yep. Or how about showing Lewis making a pass for 7th when Sainz is closing on Gasly, then showing a replay of it, then another replay of it. Unreal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

Why don't they just give the titles to Hamilton and Mercedes early, then let everyone else race for the rest of the season.

Be more entertaining that way

Yeah in the first half of the race my kid and I were talking about how good the racing was behind Lewis, & I told him to imagine how entertaining the races would be without Merc on the grid ... then it basically happened.

We should do this more often. This weekend was way more entertaining than it could have been.

Lando giving Danny shit for finishing behind him and Danny leaving the interview seat sweaty for him was hilarious. They're going to be amazing at McLaren next year

What was Button cracking up for when Lando was talking about Stroll's free red flag pit stop?

that link doesn't work.  F1.com has the story:

The brand has never appeared as a manufacturer in F1 before, though Renault’s first foray into Grand Prix racing in 1977 was with a team formed from the Alpine and Gordini competition departments.

though the author might want to brush up on his history of grand prix racing

Edited by elfenix