WiFi upgrade help

Eugene11

tldr. I need upgrades and don’t know what to get. Need recommendations. I hear the modem they give you from internet service is usually crap and need separate modem and router. Which ones to get. I want good to almost top of the line. Not really caring  about price. Need the shit to work. 

I know nothing about this stuff or maybe very little. I’m using the crappy router or modem or whatever you call it from the internet company.

century link cs3000z

I also have the eero WiFi extenders hardwired from the cs3000z

apple tv runs off the 5g WiFi from cs3000z. Everything else eero WiFi 

internet slowes way down periodically  have to reset Apple TV  have to reset the modem  resets Need to happen probably once every two weeks or so.  I don’t feel like the WiFi range is far enough  

give me some top of the line recommendations  

Edited by Eugene11

2 hours ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Eero is good, your problem is likely that your internet company sucks. 

See. This is what I’m looking for. 

orbi. What is that? Like eero and google WiFi? 

The thing that came from the internet company. What is that. Router or modem? Cs3000z. What is it?   Is there a better unit to replace this? 

15 minutes ago, Eugene11 said:

See. This is what I’m looking for. 

orbi. What is that? Like eero and google WiFi? 

The thing that came from the internet company. What is that. Router or modem? Cs3000z. What is it?   Is there a better unit to replace this? 

It appears that it is a combination modem/wifi router.  Those usually suck.  

All you need to do, really, is turn off the wifi and plug a router into it.

You may need to be more precise on "eero extenders."  An eero or mesh system has each unit functioning in a network.  If you are using normal eero units as extenders for conventional wifi, you're not using them to their advantage.  

I would think that, you turn off the wifi on the shit router.  Plug one eero into the modem, and put the other one where the app tells you to put it.  Having two eeros a cable's length from the router is a waste of money and the wifi from the router probably fucks them up.

With wifi turned off on the modem/router, it will probably not need rebooting and your problem is solved and your coverage is probably better.

Edited by TwiceHorn

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

You may need to be more precise on "eero extenders."  An eero or mesh system has each unit functioning in a network.  If you are using normal eero units as extenders for conventional wifi, you're not using them to their advantage.  

Do you mean by not plugging One in to the router? I do have one plugged in and the other is in a different room. How else could I set this up?

ill try tuning WiFi off on the combo unit. That makes since. 
appreciate your help 

He is saying that with any mesh system, the router provided by your ISP is simply the point to which your house connects to their network. What you need to do it to have your mesh system, in this case eero, act as your WiFi network. You simply need to log into your ISP router and put it into “bridge” mode or turn of WiFi on it. There should be instructions on how to do this online for your particular ISP. Next, reset you eero to out of the box status, plug one of them directly into your ISP router, and follow the system setup instructions through the app. The app will tell you where to place the other eero access points.

Also, I would choose a different name for your network than the one that is provided by your ISP. You can do that during the setup of your eero. I suspect what may be happening is that you effectively have 2 wireless networks in your house, the one from the ISP and the eero. Your AppleTV may be connecting to the shitty one that your ISP provides. You may experience similar issues of you have a wireless printer in that you may not be able to find your printer until you reboot it a few times (essentially when it finally connects to the same “network” you are trying to print from).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Eugene11 said:

Do you mean by not plugging One in to the router? I do have one plugged in and the other is in a different room. How else could I set this up?

ill try tuning WiFi off on the combo unit. That makes since. 
appreciate your help 

"I also have the eero WiFi extenders hardwired from the cs3000z" is what threw me.  It sounds like maybe you have the eero's set up normally with one network SSID and the modem/router set up as another?  

I don't know enough about mesh to know if having two networks messes up the mesh system or not.

But, I am pretty sure that I am correct that if you turn off wifi on your modem/router, it will stop needing reboots and may solve your problems.  When the router portion crashes, it takes your modem down with it, and with a fritzy modem, even the eero can't help.

My Orbi wifi router is worse than the Grande wifi that's built into the modem.  Frequently have to reboot.
The parental controls that I specifically purchase the orbi for require a third party subscription from Disney.
Would pass if i had to do this purchase again.

Had the same problem with my Orbi. Updating the firmware fixed it. There’s no notification that you need to do so, it just starts flaking the fuck out.

On 12/15/2019 at 9:07 PM, TwiceHorn said:

I would think that, you turn off the wifi on the shit router.  Plug one eero into the modem, and put the other one where the app tells you to put it.  Having two eeros a cable's length from the router is a waste of money and the wifi from the router probably fucks them up.

With wifi turned off on the modem/router, it will probably not need rebooting and your problem is solved and your coverage is probably better.

I’ll try this tonight and post results back after a bit. 

thsnks guys

Yeah, my Orbi system has been bulletproof.

Mine works very well. I’ve had it about a year and I’ve had to reset it three or four times but only after a power disruption. It pulses a purple light out of the top of the unit showing that it has lost the internet connection. Turning them on and off resets it and it’s good to go.

• 1 year later...
On 12/15/2019 at 9:07 PM, TwiceHorn said:

So a year later and for a response but this did fix my problem. Thanks for that @TwiceHorn

so now we are getting fiber at a new place.  I don’t want to “rent” their equipment.  The eero mesh seems to be working fine for our needs.  Don’t I just need to buy a modem only for the new fiber install? What modem only is out there that I should get. They all seem to have WiFi on them. 

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, Eugene11 said:

So a year later and for a response but this did fix my problem. Thanks for that @TwiceHorn

so now we are getting fiber at a new place.  I don’t want to “rent” their equipment.  The eero mesh seems to be working fine for our needs.  Don’t I just need to buy a modem only for the new fiber install? What modem only is out there that I should get. They all seem to have WiFi on them. 

Correct.  First, your provider should have a list and/or requirements for your modem at the subscribed speed.  So check that first and make sure you get one that will "work" or comply with their standards.

There are lots of cable modems out there that do not combine router functions.  Here's one smattering. https://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-modems,review-2832.html

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Correct.  First, your provider should have a list and/or requirements for your modem at the subscribed speed.  So check that first and make sure you get one that will "work" or comply with their standards.

There are lots of cable modems out there that do not combine router functions.  Here's one smattering. https://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-modems,review-2832.html

+rep on the ARRIS SURFboard SB6183 mentioned in the link above. It's amazon listing says it tops out around 400 Mbps but I can see 500+ on speed tests. For this modem and a high quality wifi router I paid $240 in 2017.  I'm 50 months into its usage or $4.80/mo. I don't see myself upgrading unless I upgrade the service to 1 GB or the the devices fail. Which is another point about buying quality. When I would buy low cost wifi routers, they would never last long. Definitely not 4 years.

• 1 year later...

Necro bump so I don't have to start a new thread.

My sons' rooms are on the opposite side of the house, and upstairs, relative to where our wifi modem is connected.  Their Roku's are glitchy.  I just ran a test and the rooms came in at 50 and 70 Mbps, which, from what I understand, should be more than enough to support a Roku w/o issue.  Granted, I ran the tests with most of our devices off - i.e. optimum bandwidth.  

Assuming wifi strength was the issue, I just purchased an Eero 6.  I was under the impression that I would just connect this to our current modem, place it in one of my boys' rooms, and, presto! - stronger wifi.  Is this not the case?  From what I've read (above) and found on YouTube, I'm being led to believe that I would need more than one Eero for a mesh system to work.  I'd need one to replace my current modem, then another to "feed" off of it.  

TL;DR - Can I connect one Eero 6 to my current setup, place it in a room on the opposite side of the house, and enhance wifi strength OR do I need of minimum of two Eeros for this to work?

@Twicehorn - Halp mountain bike buddy!

On 7/23/2022 at 2:13 PM, Knoxtnhorn said:

My sons' rooms are on the opposite side of the house, and upstairs, relative to where our wifi modem is connected.  Their Roku's are glitchy.  I just ran a test and the rooms came in at 50 and 70 Mbps, which, from what I understand, should be more than enough to support a Roku w/o issue.  Granted, I ran the tests with most of our devices off - i.e. optimum bandwidth.  

Assuming wifi strength was the issue, I just purchased an Eero 6.  I was under the impression that I would just connect this to our current modem, place it in one of my boys' rooms, and, presto! - stronger wifi.  Is this not the case?  From what I've read (above) and found on YouTube, I'm being led to believe that I would need more than one Eero for a mesh system to work.  I'd need one to replace my current modem, then another to "feed" off of it.  

TL;DR - Can I connect one Eero 6 to my current setup, place it in a room on the opposite side of the house, and enhance wifi strength OR do I need of minimum of two Eeros for this to work?

My Eero 6 came with 3. 1 plugs in and other two are wirelessly connected for the mesh. 
you only got 1?

577C1840-5966-428C-B1BF-10DFB11CA9F6.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/23/2022 at 2:13 PM, Knoxtnhorn said:

Correct, one becomes your new "modem" and you need one or two more from there.  Putting a 2nd at the far end doesn't help...needs to be in the middle so it has good reception to the 1st one.

• Hook 'Em 1

Thanks y'all.  I didn't realize until the single unit arrived.  I tried to bridge it with my existing modem to no avail.

Then, I tried to move my modem/router to the middle of the house.  That didn't work either.  I don't have any connections outside of our study.

Settled for a wifi extender, which I just hooked up.  Working like a charm...

• 5 months later...

Fwiw- same here on ATT 1000.  Ethernet- 900+/900+ up/ down.  Running Wifi through an Asus RT-AC86U router.  Older tech- Not WiFi 6.

Get roughly ~400/300 up/ down from about 20 feet away on a new MacBook.  Less from farther away, but still good.  No problem streaming 4k/ high def over rokus and firesticks.  Asus is definitely better than the built-in ATT modem wifi.

Assuming you'll get higher throughput with a WiFi 6 router--- but, not sure how noticeable it will be.

I have two RT-AC86Us in a mesh configuration- one upstairs/ one downstairs.  Probably overkill since one covered the whole house pretty well.  But, I got one free on a warranty replacement.