All things SNL

Dr. Teeth

The cold open was fanfuckingtastic! Love De Niro's Mueller. Hopefully the supporting cast is strong this ep because I don't expect much from Aquaman. I may have been very, very wrong. So far he's crushing it. This Santa sketch is an instant classic.

Khal Drogo's Ghost Dojo was legit. Like Elf on the shelf? We've got Khal on The Wall!

Edited by RPM

On 12/8/2018 at 10:36 PM, RPM said:

The cold open was fanfuckingtastic! Love De Niro's Mueller. Hopefully the supporting cast is strong this ep because I don't expect much from Aquaman. I may have been very, very wrong. So far he's crushing it. This Santa sketch is an instant classic.

Khal Drogo's Ghost Dojo was legit. Like Elf on the shelf? We've got Khal on The Wall!

I wanna new kid...

22 hours ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

I wanna new kid...

Funniest Skit

21 hours ago, Red Five said:

Is he being naughty or nice?
Yeah this isn’t really a black or white issue.

He was really good in that one.  Was surprised.

21 hours ago, RexWilson said:

The appliances for guys I thought was funny. Especially the riding vacuum 

Probably the loudest I laughed watching the show when he was riding the vacuum in the living room.  My wife heard me laughing and came out of the room...of course once she realized who was hosting, she was in for the rest of the show.

The monologue didn't fill me with confidence, but the elf on the shelf won me over.    Update seemed a bit disjointed this week.   I fast forwarded through the music like I almost always do.  Them Trumps was pretty good.  Actually, him getting arrested or impeached at the end of every section was what was good.  I like the Rudolph skit, but the first impression one was a bit too weird.   Sleigh ride - meh.  Seen in too many times.  Day of the Dorks seems like they missed an opportunity to be funnier.   

The appliances for men was excellent.  Forgot about that one.  Reading a recap and I don't even remember An Extra Christmas Carol.  What the hell was that one?  

Edited by Go Pokes

Yeah, I didn't "get" the off-broadway sketch (which was a good zany performance but missing a joke).  The Weezer sketch, and they have some good impressionists (thinking Oscar sketch).  Sarah Silverman impression was nails, the girl who does Allison Janney is great (also, the wife from every boxing movie), and Kate McKinnon is always funny.  The Weekend Update bit where they did first reads of jokes they wrote for one another was great - victory for Michael Che.

Also, apparently Pete Davidson had posted some suicidal stuff on social media earlier in the day, which might explain his absence from any live sketches (and adds significance to him introducing Cyrus/Ronson).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Last weekend's episode was pretty weak.  It was the first time they've ever had a host that I had never even heard of.  The fact that she was host and musical act and I've never heard of her is mind blowing to me and tells you how little interest I have in new music.  She is pretty damn hot, until I found out she's Italian and from New Jersey.   

5 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

Last weekend's episode was pretty weak.  It was the first time they've ever had a host that I had never even heard of.  The fact that she was host and musical act and I've never heard of her is mind blowing to me and tells you how little interest I have in new music.  She is pretty damn hot, until I found out she's Italian and from New Jersey.   

I thought the Instagram couple on weekend update were pretty funny.

Seemed like a natural continuation of the "N'Awlins" 10-before-1 skit the week before.  Funny to me anyway.  

I have no idea who this host was and I doubt I'll ever hear from her again, but she plugged n' played very well.  I'll give her that.  Was never that funny, never stepped outside the box they wrote for her, delivered professionally, hit her marks and her chuckles.  Consummate professional while also playing two songs and painting.  Damn solid night, IMO.  Far more "comedic" actors fall much flatter than her because they think they know better than a 45-year old formula.  Anyway, show is having a bit of a down year overall.  /debbie

2 hours ago, Gardner Barnes said:

Agree. Worst episode of the season.

I thought the Baldwin as Trump opening was probably the funniest one yet.  I'm about half way through the episode and I can't tell you one other thing that has happened though. 

Gary Clark Jr!  There.  I got one thing.  And I didn't really pay attention to him

That's true... sure seems like they are really pushing the censor envelope this season on that kinda stuff. 

Are they? I don’t even know where the envelope ends anymore. They say fuck on FX and other channels now. SNL is still pretty tame in comparison.

I remember watching it when the original cast was there. They did some kind of West Side Story type skit and they were playing Puerto Ricans. The authority figure is telling them they should be in school and Belushi said “they don’t teach us nothing but chit.......and chat”. The audience literally gasped after chit.

22 hours ago, RPM said:

The FCC lifted some restraint on cursing after a certain time, I think it's 10pm. I think you get something like 1 fuck, 2 shits and a few various others per hour.  I have no link and this is all hazy memory speculation.

I still remember the night in 1981 when Charlie Rocket said fuck in the closing moments when the cast was assembled to say goodnight.  He was, of course, canned and disappeared from tv for a while.

45 minutes ago, Gardner Barnes said:

Upon revisiting the bar fight skit was pretty funny also.

Bar skit was legit as were several others. It just didn't live up to it's potential with Cheadle as host. It wasn't a flop nor was it memorable.