All things SNL

Dr. Teeth

Yes, but you have to wait for the number of days elapsed reports to come in from Pennsylvania and Nevada which are different timezones so they've had a different number of days between Chapelle's last appearance on SNL and the one coming up here tomorrow.  

noCR/ but think about how furiously that writer's room is changing sketches and W/U right now based on the news coming in today.  I don't think even Hunter Biden or Don, Jr. could keep up with the copious amounts of coke inhalation going on in that room right now.  

27 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

I get what he was doing.  Completely.  There were a couple of chuckles.

He's a masterful commenter on society, not a short format quick hitter knee slapper. I don't know what you expected if what he did wasn't it I guess.

Kinda curious what your expectation was, but not too curious. 

I thought it was great, classic assumed direction setup, perspective shift, paint the real picture again, call to action with comedy plan forward. 

• Haha 1

He's a masterful commenter on society, not a short format quick hitter knee slapper. I don't know what you expected if what he did wasn't it I guess.
Kinda curious what your expectation was, but not too curious. 
I thought it was great, classic assumed direction setup, perspective shift, paint the real picture again, call to action with comedy plan forward. 

Yep. It was classic Chappelle but Dave really can make some people very uncomfortable.

He doesn’t mince words.

Every single cast member has broken character and laughed at least once tonight. They’re all loose and happy and don’t GAF lol.

1 minute ago, hundredTT said:

This episode has been pure dogshit, minus a few Chappelle laughs. 

10 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Kate McKinnon is so brutally unfunny it hurts. 

They're all unfunny. All the episodes are dogshit. Maybe every once in awhile they have a good skit due to the host being funny. I'm not sure why anyone would tune in other than to see Dave's monologue.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

I was expecting funny.  It wasn't.

yeah it was dumb. his last few years just reeks of old man stupid. same shit with bill burr

turned it off with the first foo song.  boring. 

the chapelle bit from 2016 i thought was so much better. had more heart. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, staboner said:

yeah it was dumb. his last few years just reeks of old man stupid. same shit with bill burr

Bill Burr’s monologue was funny. Chapelle’s monologue was not. 

Chappelle’s best stand up special was Killing Them Softly in 2000. Chappelle’s Show has some great moments, but it didn’t surpass Killing Them Softly. Everything has been down hill since then. I know he stepped away for a few years, but that’s 15 years of mediocrity. He’s better than that. 

Dave was really good in A Star is Born. I think he could win an Academy Award in a dramatic role. I wish he’d focus on that. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tom said:

and people bitching about the current cast and seasons of SNL

That would require me to actually watch SNL. And it has not been constantly funny/unfunny the entire time. It used to be a pretty even ratio of hit or miss with sketches, probably up until Fey/Poehler/Hader departed, now there might be one or two good sketches a season. This is honestly pretty objective - who was the last person to "make it" off of SNL before Pete Davidson? Was it Hader? That was like 5 years ago. At least. (I'd include Kristen Wig - I think it's basically them 3 over the past DECADE). It is nowhere near the springboard it used to be. 

Chappelle's monologue was good. Of course it wasn't that funny, that isn't what he was going for. He doesn't go for straight laughs anymore at this point in his career and deservedly so. Apparently that is going over some of your heads. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 11/8/2020 at 2:20 PM, staboner said:

He’s come out and said he regrets saying what he said in 2016 and that he was being more placative than heartfelt in that moment. 

I enjoyed his monologue this year, and still think he’s one of the best comedians around. His line about having to wear a mask all these years and not being able to tell the truth without a punchline rings true given some of the responses to his comedy

5 minutes ago, Helobious said:

He’s come out and said he regrets saying what he said in 2016 and that he was being more placative than heartfelt in that moment. 

I enjoyed his monologue this year, and still think he’s one of the best comedians around. His line about having to wear a mask all these years and not being able to tell the truth without a punchline rings true given some of the responses to his comedy

I enjoyed his monologue this weekend and I am a fan in general.  I'm of the mind that Chappelle has transformed into more of a humorist than a comedian.  He does standup, but much of what he says is not primarily said to get a laugh.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

He is more Twain than Pryor at this point.  And I love it.  Most satirists, humorists, and comics are mirrors held up to us with a funny twist so we can see what we can see in our society.  But Chapelle is now something different.

Like Twain and a only handful of others...he is a now one-way mirror.  He lets us hear his epigrammatic observations  about us as he’s watching us.  And we know he’s watching us through a one-way mirror, And in a perverse way—-we actually behave more honestly under watch.  And from that raw honesty comes the best laughter.  Not the loudest, but the most sincere.  

• 4 weeks later...