All things SNL

Dr. Teeth

20 hours ago, mchookem said:

Regina King is funny. i've never seen her in a comedy, she's got good timing. 

She's amazing not in the Scary Movie series . Back-to-back SNLs where the hosts commit to the sketches, after Krasinski surprisingly just kind of showed up. Makes a huge difference.

Edited by Bartles
oops there's multiple black Reginas

It was a subpar W/U for sure, as has been the case for many weeks lately which is strange given all the parody material with which they have to work.  

She was a great host, committed to every sketch.  But writing sucked as usual as did the cast-written sketches/pre-records 

no idea who the host was...but he also committed 100%. 
Texas featured a bunch...and everybody hates Ted Cruz
WU was better this week. 

Watch Bridgerton. He popped on screen last night, and my wife couldn’t help but wax poetic for a good half hour about how he is easily the sexiest man alive.

I’d have argued with her if I could. That dude has it going on, and I’m guessing he ain’t hurting for dates. And he owned it and had fun with it, which actually made for a decent episode.

But the fact that they did 78 different jokes about Cruz...that was good.

Another good show IMO. The final sketch, with Jonas and McKinnon flirting at the bar, is one the SNL haters would probably make exhibit A why the show is awful, but it's exactly why I still love it. Not the funniest sketch of the night or anything, but it's just silly and uncomfortable and the cast doesn't care, they have fun with it.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...

Loved the Kubrick bit was great.  Always liked Maya but she was woefully underutilized.  One of the great all-around talents and writing was just garbage for her this week.  RPM is right about W/U.  Maybe the best joke of the year was the bit about not knowing the difference between kissing and assault and then the whole last half of Update was just awkwardly unfunny.  

I have high hopes for Daniel Kaluuya next week, seems like he's got some range.  Two weeks from now it's Carey Mulligan whom I've never understood the fascination with.  She appears to have 3 settings:  Mopey, Brooding, and Broodingly Mopey.  

i kept saying the GF, "they've been off for 4 weeks and this is the best they can come up?"  cold open was bad.  monologue was bad.

Beyonce Hot Wings and Boomers got the vax were brilliant.  i didn't see the Kubrick skit so i'll need to check that out.  everything else was underwhelming.

1 hour ago, RPM said:

Never heard of Kaluuya before but he was a great host. They gave Gaetz no quarter.

Damn, you never watched "Get Out?"  Or more recently "Judas and the Black Messiah?" 

He's a great actor and those were great movies.  The latter is currently on HBO Max.  Not sure about "Get Out."

W/U, and that Iceberg bit in particular, were damn funny.  The wartime correspondence and lesbian period piece (which I think were back to back IIRC) were laugh out loud for me.  First half of the show was awful except for a few minutes of that teenage nerd crush sketch.  Looks like they're taking several weeks off again before the last run in May.  

• 3 weeks later...

I don’t understand the SNL cast sneering at Elon Musk hosting the show this week. SNL has a problem that they think more of themselves than they should. They definitely don’t bring business people as hosts very often but is it really any different than when a sports figure hosts?

with that being said, I don’t think Elon will be that good of a host but the success is more dependent on the writers not him.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I will rephrase for you.  Elon musk is hosting SNL. The cast has said they don’t like it. I don’t understand why they think the show is somehow above him.

I haven't seen or heard anything about the cast one way or the other. Link?

Guest Lobo

The cast has acknowledged that they will appear in sketches with fake billionaires, but not real ones.  Somewhat honorable.

The show has forced cast members to appear with misogynist assholes like Martin Lawrence and Andrew Clay.  Lying assholes like Lance Armstrong.  Habitual date rapist, Steven Seagal.  And another racist asshole who has had 26 women allege sexual misconduct against him.  But appear briefly with a rich guy in an episode that will likely be start-to-finish sketches poking fun at him?  Oh no, that's just a bridge too far.  

None of these principled protectors of societal good had a problem when Adam Sandler hosts.  He's worth a half billion.  Everybody was excited to work with Eddie Murphy and his quarter billion.  Maybe they had goodwill because they're SNL alums?  Frequent host Tom Hanks and his third of a billion is always welcomed at 8H.  As is Tom Brady's quarter billion.  Put out a policy statement from the cast and writers on what the exact limit of net worth is.  Once you go above it, you can't host SNL anymore.  Yeah, that should really help wealth inequality in the country.