Chris Ash Defense

LTtxfan

49 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

My biggest issue was with the DL.  I recall Ossai a couple of times in the backfield.  Other than that, I don't recall a single play the DL made.  Tech sacked Ehlinger with a scrub-ass DL, rushing 3 late in the game.  

It’s possible you don’t understand football. 

47 minutes ago, Chad said:

The defense missed 29 tackles against Tech. That's pitiful, the majority of these guys playing on the defense are experienced players. On Tech's 2nd TD BJ Foster  completely whiffed and he was threatening to leave the program over playing time? Hell on that 75 yard TD run by Thompson 3 different players whiffed.

I had such high hopes for BJ but seems like all he is good at is making occasional hard hits. He doesn't try to do any other things that a DB should do.

It all starts with DL...they have to get pressure and sacks. That’s how KSU staged the comeback win today. I really hope they can figure out something. Also, I saw ossai in coverage 10yards deep a couple times and I think that’s dumb honestly. I get different looks and whatnot, but Ossai is not a pass defender

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

It all starts with DL...they have to get pressure and sacks. That’s how KSU staged the comeback win today. I really hope they can figure out something. Also, I saw ossai in coverage 10yards deep a couple times and I think that’s dumb honestly. I get different looks and whatnot, but Ossai is not a pass defender

Absolutely - and this 4 man front we had been waiting on was nothing but 1 on 1 battles and hoping Ossai could swim his way past the guy. No stunts, shifts, overload, disguised looks, etc.

The other thing is press coverage and tackling - the only way to beat these guys is to press the shit out of these dudes at the line and knock them the fuck out when they do come over the middle for a catch. We did neither of that, instead lined up in a soft zone that was easily picked apart.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Absolutely - and this 4 man front we had been waiting on was nothing but 1 on 1 battles and hoping Ossai could swim his way past the guy. No stunts, shifts, overload, disguised looks, etc.

The other thing is press coverage and tackling - the only way to beat these guys is to press the shit out of these dudes at the line and knock them the fuck out when they do come over the middle for a catch. We did neither of that, instead lined up in a soft zone that was easily picked apart.

Soft zone with 8-10 yard cushions against this conference is beyond infuriating.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BornOrange1955 said:

Until we get some SEC type defensive lineman, we are going to get torched by any offense with a QB who can throw it. Here we go again. Doesn't matter if its Ash, Orlando or Vince Lombardi. we need more talent on the DL.

The lack of pressure and pass rush by this DL is definitely concerning...

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m always optimistic we will get better but the last 10 years has me knowing if it looks this bad against a shitty team you know what’s coming every week. The bright side is we have the ability to create turnovers which is good, the bad side is that tech did one thing(quick passes) to eliminate our strength(pass rush) and we didn’t adjust at all and just got picked apart. 

I know we have a lot more 56-53 type of games coming and probably next week too and just have to hope we have the ball last with a chance to win or hope we make a few defensive stops and the offense can put up big numbers. 

wrong thread to bitch about offense but I don’t see a huge difference in what we run this year compared to last year, especially after this game. 

16 minutes ago, BornOrange1955 said:

Until we get some SEC type defensive lineman, we are going to get torched by any offense with a QB who can throw it. Here we go again. Doesn't matter if its Ash, Orlando or Vince Lombardi. we need more talent on the DL.

It really is the solution.  

7 hours ago, 6th Street said:

Agreed! The coverage techniques were also a big issue. Like press, push bump, do something! No disruption anywhere meant Bowman was basically always in rhythm throwing. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Atticus said:

The thing about effective defenses in this league is they don't last for long. The offensive minds in this conference can figure out ways to score on anyone

So Ash's strategy is to not even start off effective.  That way they will have nothing to figure out and adjust to.  3-D chess.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Ash's defense gives up 56

Grinch's defense gives up 38

Patterson's defense gives up 37

I'm having a hard time thinking that these 3 defensive minds with proven results have suddenly forgotten how to coach. Something's different or changed. Maybe it is all the Texas kids not playing defense in high school. I have not clue but I can't pin it on the DC's at this point.

2 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Ash's defense gives up 56

Grinch's defense gives up 38

Patterson's defense gives up 37

I'm having a hard time thinking that these 3 defensive minds with proven results have suddenly forgotten how to coach. Something's different or changed. Maybe it is all the Texas kids not playing defense in high school. I have not clue but I can't pin it on the DC's at this point.

Purdy looked putrid in game 1 and Skylar Thompson's limitations are well known. Big XII offenses are good - even when the talent isn't as good. 

Didn’t Urban say Ash was the hire of the year and didn’t Urban hire him before to be his DC and they won a NC.  It’s pretty clear Ash diagnosed early on that tackling is a major problem with this team and he has been focusing on that for a reason. At some point the players have to do better.  If you are on defense your main fucking job is to tackle and some of these guys just refuse to do it.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, stork642 said:

Didn’t Urban say Ash was the hire of the year and didn’t Urban hire him before to be his DC and they won a NC.  It’s pretty clear Ash diagnosed early on that tackling is a major problem with this team and he has been focusing on that for a reason. At some point the players have to do better.  If you are on defense your main fucking job is to tackle and some of these guys just refuse to do it.  

Urban Meyer would never lie to protect his friends/assistants.

• Hook 'Em 1

I mean it's two games into his first season with practically zero offseason work except for a few weeks of a makeshift fall camp in the middle of a pandemic. 

Maybe, just maybe, it's going to take more time especially under these circumstances to get a defense that could not tackle a year ago to be able to tackle. It's not magic

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

I mean it's two games into his first season with practically zero offseason work except for a few weeks of a makeshift fall camp in the middle of a pandemic. 

Maybe, just maybe, it's going to take more time especially under these circumstances to get a defense that could not tackle a year ago to be able to tackle. It's not magic

It's like we forgot that Greg Robinson did exactly this (teach the team to tackle), but in a week. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

No expert here, but teaching these defenders to use their athleticism and "fly around to the ball" without learning better pursuit angles, technique and playing under better control might be part of the problem??

Seemed like a lot of dumb mistakes against Tech by the TEXAS defenders yesterday -- doesn't matter how much speed and quickness you have if you are out of position...

This is a problem that both the coaches and players need to take ownership of and put in the work to fix.

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

What is confusing to me is that Texas played great defense against Utah and Georgia the year before, so it's not like they can't do it. Perhaps the problem is that the Coach can't get them fired up for every game. They had one good game against a shitty team and everyone was telling them how great they were. They thought they could just waltz into Lubbock and dominate. Human psychology is a powerful thing and great coaches know how to use it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ShowMeALoss said:

What is confusing to me is that Texas played great defense against Utah and Georgia the year before, so it's not like they can't do it. Perhaps the problem is that the Coach can't get them fired up for every game. They had one good game against a shitty team and everyone was telling them how great they were. They thought they could just waltz into Lubbock and dominate. Human psychology is a powerful thing and great coaches know how to use it.

Those teams offensive personnel and design are totally different than Tech or the average Big 12 team.  There is no comparison.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, Yesh said:

Those teams offensive personnel and design are totally different than Tech or the average Big 12 team.  There is no comparison.

I get that but the intensity was vastly different. Those teams had better athletes and yet we tackled much better, with intent. Against Tech, they were mostly standing around and made half ass attempt to tackle. That's what I attribute to getting fired up only for certain games.

• Hook 'Em 1

I am wondering (more like hoping) if we have a 3 deep safety look.  Our defensive line is a strength.  If we are going to dedicate 4 guys to it, we need them to control the run with minimal LB support.  We need those guys thinking pass drop first, at least against teams like Tech, TCU, OU.  We can give up 8 yard runs.  Our corners are not going to hold up on their own, and plenty of teams have a 3rd receiver that will torch Adimora or Mitchell.

No expert here, but teaching these defenders to use their athleticism and "fly around to the ball" without learning better pursuit angles, technique and playing under better control might be part of the problem??
Seemed like a lot of dumb mistakes against Tech by the TEXAS defenders yesterday -- doesn't matter how much speed and quickness you have if you are out of position...
This is a problem that both the coaches and players need to take ownership of and put in the work to fix.

Yes, on the 75 yard run, Foster had broken down in front of Thompson and was in a position to make a play, or at least contain long enough for reinforcements to arrive, and Overshown came in like a bowling ball and knocked him over. It was a high risk, low reward move that didn't pay off.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Wanker Bob said:

Hocus pocus, our defense lacks focus

Abracadabra, they won't reach out and grab ya

Presto chango, at least, we won't face Red Grange-o

21 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

The Pirate says hi.