Chris Ash Defense

LTtxfan

29 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:
59 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Yes, on the 75 yard run, Foster had broken down in front of Thompson and was in a position to make a play, or at least contain long enough for reinforcements to arrive, and Overshown came in like a bowling ball and knocked him over. It was a high risk, low reward move that didn't pay off.

Just saw a huge overpursuit by Overshown at the 8:46 mark of the 1st quarter... He freakin whiffed on the tackle of the RB on a short pass play because he was not under control and used a poor pursuit angle.  On the same play CADEN  lowered his head, lunged and whiffed on his tackle too.   Wtf!!!

Also, the Horns defense may be susceptible to giving up big plays on reverses against fast teams like blOU.

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

Ash made a name for himself stopping Big-10 offenses. Herman gambled his job on whether he can adapt to defending the spread or not. Not ideal.

He had better be a quick learner. Oh he’s a meathead?  And we won’t fire anyone and take the additional financial hit?  Things looking great for the next 4 years on the gridiron. 

21 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

He had better be a quick learner. Oh he’s a meathead?  And we won’t fire anyone and take the additional financial hit?  Things looking great for the next 4 years on the gridiron. 

Herman's contract runs through 2021. With the program struggling financially they will have to let him and his OC/DC play out his final year as a lame duck. Will be a Mike D'Antoni situation. 

1 hour ago, 6th Street said:

Herman's contract runs through 2021. With the program struggling financially they will have to let him and his OC/DC play out his final year as a lame duck. Will be a Mike D'Antoni situation. 

According to FCB, Herman's contract is thru 2023...

Tom Herman is set to earn $6 million in 2020**; $6.25 million in 2021; $6.5 million in 2022; and $6.75 million in 2023.

**Doesn't include adjustments due to Covid decreases for 2020 Season

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-Longhorns-football-assistant-coaches-raises-Herb-Hand-Stan-Drayton-Yancy-McKnight-Mark-Hagen-146782926/

Edited by LTtxfan

It's like we forgot that Greg Robinson did exactly this (teach the team to tackle), but in a week. 

What Greg did was...simplify the looks, disguises, etc. Once he did that, the “thought processes” were very basic without players constantly wondering about where they needed to be and where their help and leverage was coming from. They just “knew” where to be, went there, and made plays.

I vast numbers of missed tackles are missed before they are attempted. Weak arm tackles, if you watch closely, often occur when the ball carrier has already gotten across the defender who is in a poor position. Said defender, at that point, can’t do shut but lunge in desperation.

2 minutes ago, scottsins said:

What Greg did was...simplify the looks, disguises, etc. Once he did that, the “thought processes” were very basic without players constantly wondering about where they needed to be and where their help and leverage was coming from. They just “knew” where to be, went there, and made plays.

I vast numbers of missed tackles are missed before they are attempted. Weak arm tackles, if you watch closely, often occur when the ball carrier has already gotten across the defender who is in a poor position. Said defender, at that point, can’t do shut but lunge in desperation.

GR also had the luxury of having: Jackson Jeffcoat, Malcom Brown, Chris Whaley, Jordan Hicks (until injured), Quandre Diggs, Adrian Phillips, and Carrington Byndum. 

• Like 2

I've watched this long Tceh run about 10 times, and it's sad to see how terrible our D was.  It looks like BJ Foster comes in, but instead of sealing off the edge, he cannonballs into our own player, blocking him and another defender out.  Juwan Mitchell, meanwhile, figures all is fine and gives up on the play until speed racer runs right by him.

Edited by OU Sucks
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, OU Sucks said:

I've watched this long Tceh run about 10 times, and it's sad to see how terrible our D was.  It looks like BJ Foster comes in, but instead of sealing off the edge, he rams into our own player, blocking him and another defender out.  Juwan Mitchell, meanwhile, figures all is fine and gives up on the play until speed racer runs right by him.

Juwan may be more talented than other LBs on the Horns roster, but based on his effort on several plays yesterday I wonder if he should be playing at all...

5 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Juwan may be more talented than other LBs on the Horns roster, but based on his effort on several plays yesterday I wonder if he should be playing at all...

Our defense clearly lacked fundamentals and give a fuck. Did the walk on get any snaps?

On 9/24/2020 at 12:02 AM, cam4mav said:

Our D when we won in 05 was 4-3, special athlete at WILL (Kelson - safety turned LB), ELITE safeties and very good CB's, and basic scheme that let our fast players play fast and do their thing.

just saying

I have no idea what I was saying here, as it's totally irrelevant to our D this year 🤣

UTEP must be really really bad

2 hours ago, SquishMitten said:

Until we see how they learn from this week, I’m just going to enjoy the thrilling finish. Lot of problems on display though. Reeeeaaaallllyyy hoping this was a product of bravado. Sometimes a swift kick to the nuts will fix a lot of problems. Fingers crossed!

I can't count the number of years I've crossed my fingers, only to be disappointed.  This is Texas Football.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, OU Sucks said:

I've watched this long Tceh run about 10 times, and it's sad to see how terrible our D was.  It looks like BJ Foster comes in, but instead of sealing off the edge, he cannonballs into our own player, blocking him and another defender out.  Juwan Mitchell, meanwhile, figures all is fine and gives up on the play until speed racer runs right by him.

was that Jamison who initially seals the edge and reaches the RB but his little arm tackle is easily broken. Our DBs need to learn to give a fuck. 

1 hour ago, Reese Bennett said:

Clear to me that the high temps affected the DL. On several occasions, the big boys looked to stop and try to bat the ball down instead of putting in the effort to get to the QB. I expect them to play better in cooler weather. No excuses for tackling though.

Yeah, the Horns offensive struggles in 3rd quarter kept our defense on the field way too much... both the excessive heat and physical conditioning hampered the entire TEXAS defense during the 2nd half.

7 hours ago, SquishMitten said:

Until we see how they learn from this week, I’m just going to enjoy the thrilling finish. Lot of problems on display though. Reeeeaaaallllyyy hoping this was a product of bravado. Sometimes a swift kick to the nuts will fix a lot of problems. Fingers crossed!

Yeah...that’s never really the case

• Hook 'Em 1

Foster was in good position on that play. Overshown comes barreling in from the side, falls down between Foster and Thompson, and makes it impossible for Foster to make a tackle.

23 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:
6 hours ago, OU Sucks said:

Foster was in good position on that play. Overshown comes barreling in from the side, falls down between Foster and Thompson, and makes it impossible for Foster to make a tackle.

Overshown was going around the Tceh players to make the tackle.  BJ is the one who barreled into his back, taking him out instead of sealing the edge.

image.thumb.png.8922f795b2006e2279d9ac0311e86370.png

Edited by OU Sucks
  • Hook 'Em 1

Overshown was going around the Tceh players to make the tackle.  BJ is the one who barreled into his back, taking him out instead of cutting off the edge.
That highlight clip doesn't show the play from a very good angle. If you watch the full recording, there are a couple of better angles, including one from the perspective of the offense. You can see Foster broken down, keeping Thompson in front of him. At that point, Foster is in position to seal the edge or track Thompson inside if he breaks that way. Overshown comes charging over, starts falling between Foster and Thompson, and essentially serves as an extra blocker for Thompson. Foster ends up diving over Overshown to try to make a play, but it was nearly impossible when he's having to reach over/through his own teammate to try to make a tackle.

2 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:
3 minutes ago, OU Sucks said:
Overshown was going around the Tceh players to make the tackle.  BJ is the one who barreled into his back, taking him out instead of cutting off the edge.

That highlight clip doesn't show the play from a very good angle. If you watch the full recording, there are a couple of better angles, including one from the perspective of the offense. You can see Foster broken down, keeping Thompson in front of him. At that point, Foster is in position to seal the edge or track Thompson inside if he breaks that way. Overshown comes charging over, starts falling between Foster and Thompson, and essentially serves as an extra blocker for Thompson. Foster ends up diving over Overshown to try to make a play, but it was nearly impossible when he's having to reach over/through his own teammate to try to make a tackle.

I'll take your word for it, then.  It was just one clusterfuck in a game full of clusterfucks that we better figure out quickly.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OU Sucks said:

Overshown was going around the Tceh players to make the tackle.  BJ is the one who barreled into his back, taking him out instead of sealing the edge.

exactly.  we had the place BJ went to covered.  we didn't need another player there.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:
18 minutes ago, OU Sucks said:
I'll take your word for it, then.  It was just one clusterfuck in a game full of clusterfucks that we better figure out quickly.

Massive clusterfuck. I'm sure they all fucked it up in one way or another. What an abortion of a play.

the crazy thing is the abortion actually allowed us to win. if he gets tackled for a first they probably win the game.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

the crazy thing is the abortion actually allowed us to win. if he gets tackled for a first they probably win the game.

Was just about to post this. This defensive stand would be horrendously shitty at any time during a game. But at that particular point it quickly handed the ball back to Sam, and he never gave it up until he scored the go-ahead TD in overtime.

14 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Yeah, I was thinking about that, too.  If Overshown could've made the tackle at the 26, it would have set up at 3rd and 6, down 8, which would have been preferable.  But once he made the 32 yard line, it's a good thing no one tackled him.

Here are some shots of that play from the perspective of the offense. In the first one, you can see Foster broken down, keeping the play in front of him. He's not charging into anyone but is moving laterally to track Thompson.

Screenshot_20200927-213335_YouTube.thumb.jpg.04a14b91fc06c919771e1e07df63aa71.jpg

Here you see Overshown's helmet peeking through between Foster and Thompson.

Screenshot_20200927-213402_YouTube.thumb.jpg.1624dfb46c66b8d9f14cf1f4eb0ab4b0.jpg

You can't see it too well from this angle, but Overshown is directly between Foster and Thompson at this point

Screenshot_20200927-213412_YouTube.thumb.jpg.b52378a65aff543ffcc6001570dba97b.jpg

Foster trying to get to Thompson, but Overshown is on the ground between the two. There's no way he can make the play now.

Screenshot_20200927-213436_YouTube.thumb.jpg.9f1d4a5e6a360135b355cf4fbe68b76b.jpg

Screenshot_20200927-213426_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20200927-213449_YouTube.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

The first half felt like we weren't playing our best, but we just fell apart in the 3rd quarter. I really wonder if the heat, sun, and lack of conditioning contributed. By the time we started clicking again, the sun was low enough that it wasn't directly hitting the field.

12 hours ago, South Austin said:

Was just about to post this. This defensive stand would be horrendously shitty at any time during a game. But at that particular point it quickly handed the ball back to Sam, and he never gave it up until he scored the go-ahead TD in overtime.

Was also thinking about how the foot not called out of bounds for their td worked out in the end for the same reason.  

Just now, Fondren & Main said:

The overtime stonewall is my expectation for the defense.  

That was Tech self-imploding. There is no chance at us having a great defense this year. We don’t know what we’re doing, have no awareness, and can’t tackle. At best, we could improve to decent/solid by the end of the season. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

This defense has potential to be great.  Some real jeckyl and Hyde play on Saturday.  The stupid turnovers and offense fucking a goat in the second half really need to not happen again.

Need to see this defense get better as the season progresses while TEXAS keeps winning games.  

The last two games of the regular season are Okie Lite at home, and then K-State on the road.

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

That was Tech self-imploding. There is no chance at us having a great defense this year. We don’t know what we’re doing, have no awareness, and can’t tackle. At best, we could improve to decent/solid by the end of the season. 

If GR could take us from abysmal to good then we can make that happen here too.  UTEP has won their last two games and they throttled their opponent this past weekend.  They looked abysmal versus our defense, but they obviously aren’t the big trash can that we all thought.  I have to agree that the heat must have been a big factor Saturday.  Offense really didn’t help the defense by disappearing all second half.

2 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Need to see this defense get better as the season progresses while TEXAS keeps winning games.  

The last two games of the regular season are Okie Lite at home, and then K-State on the road.

Agreed.  This is also almost the same group of players that stomped Utah.  They definitely can play a lot better.

Just now, Fondren & Main said:

If GR could take us from abysmal to good then we can make that happen here too.  UTEP has won their last two games and they throttled their opponent this past weekend.  They looked abysmal versus our defense, but they obviously aren’t the big trash can that we all thought.  I have to agree that the heat must have been a big factor Saturday.  Offense really didn’t help the defense by disappearing all second half.

GR showed immediate improvement. Ash had all of fall camp and we looked like this.

Ash got a raw deal by coming in after Orlando and not getting any spring ball to install his defense. It’s a rough situation for him, especially when these guys didn’t even know how to tackle under Orlando, hut it doesn’t change the fact that our defense isn’t good and won’t just magically become good anytime soon. There are fundamental flaws in our defense that aren’t going away. 

And don’t start with the UTEP nonsense. Their schedule has been a joke and their offense could only score 17 points against Abilene Christian. They’re not good at all, and our defensive performance against them was meaningless.