Texas 42

Longhorn Al

14 hours ago, Spaulding Smails said:

So, did you bid 30 or 31 with that hand, Al?

That's pretty awesome.  I don't think I've ever had six of a suit let alone all seven.

That same night I had a hand with 6 sixes and the 5/5.

Tonight I had a hand with 6 aces.

There's a tournament for you Houston guys this weekend.  I'll be there.

Saturday April 14

Galveston, TX

Beerfoot Brewery

$40 per team (that includes lunch provided by Float)

Doors open 9:15am. Play starts at 10:00am.

3-game round robin for seeding. Double elimination bracket play after lunch. Winner's bracket is best 2 out of 3. Loser's bracket is 1 game.

Trophies and cash to top 3 teams.

I know you’ve likely shared it before,  but is there some kind of website where we could get out in front of a tournament like that and plan out some time off?

That would be a fun weekend diversion.

2 hours ago, slorch said:

I know you’ve likely shared it before,  but is there some kind of website where we could get out in front of a tournament like that and plan out some time off?

That would be a fun weekend diversion.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/780453402058468/

http://www.n42pa.org

Edited by Longhorn Al

Just now, slorch said:

I know there are variables, mainly number of participants, but how long does the typical event like that last?

If it's a typical round robin - lunch - bracket play, it can last 9 or 10am till 6pm. Some are just round robins, 5-10 games. Those can last awhile as well.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Rules Question we came up with.  We have an answer, but are curious if there is a precedent or your own house rules you have played by in this situation:

Shuffler of the dominoes gets stuck with the bid if other 3 players all pass.  Of course, it is typically "30."

If the player and their partner catch every trick after being forced to play it out, should there be a bonus mark?  more than one?

Yes, there could be someone sitting 4th chair who has a better hand than 30, but I think offering the bonus mark(s) for catching all 7 tricks encourages others to bid.

• 3 months later...
On 6/2/2018 at 11:20 AM, slorch said:

Rules Question we came up with.  We have an answer, but are curious if there is a precedent or your own house rules you have played by in this situation:

Shuffler of the dominoes gets stuck with the bid if other 3 players all pass.  Of course, it is typically "30."

If the player and their partner catch every trick after being forced to play it out, should there be a bonus mark?  more than one?

Yes, there could be someone sitting 4th chair who has a better hand than 30, but I think offering the bonus mark(s) for catching all 7 tricks encourages others to bid.

I've never played this way.  I think I've heard someone mention something similar to this. 

In tournaments, there's no forced bid.

I played in Hallettsville this weekend.  On Saturday, I drew another perfect hand.  That's my 2nd in less than 6 months.  Crazy.  This time it was all of the treys.  I won the bid for 84 and led the 3/6.  Ha.

Saturday had 73 teams.  I played with the newly-famous 9 year old girl that's played State twice.  It's crazy how you can actually watch her getting better with every game.  She's going to be amazing after some more seasoning.  She already plays backwards, knows when to throw count to set, holds the right dominoes to set opponents in an 84 bid, etc.  She needs work on bidding more aggressively.  Once she gets that down...watch out!

We went 2-3 Friday night.  Two losses were 7-6.  We had a positive mark differential on the night.  On Saturday, we went 2-3 in the morning with a -1 differential.  Got in the championship bracket where it's best 2 of 3 each round.  We were late returning from lunch and got docked our first game of Round 1. I was upset for her, but didn't let her know.  She'd freeze up.  We won the first game we played, then were down 6-4 in the 2nd game.  She says, "it's ok we still have the 3rd game if we lose."  I had to explain that we forfeited the first game, and this was do-or-die right now.  That next hand, the bid came around to her and she overbids a 31 with a 32.  Confidently.  We win that and win the next 2 hands to take the match.  That was so awesome to witness.

We lost in the 2nd round in 2 games to two older, very good players from East Texas.  lost the first game 8-5 because I went 84 down 6-5.  Had 5 trumps, the double ace and a naked 0/6.  I felt we wouldn't win the game, so I took the chance.  Opponent held the 6/5 till the end.  My partner held the 6/4, but it wasn't enough.  We lost the 2nd game going away.

Great time!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Back to the top.  2019 tournament season is ramping up.

Go here: www.n42pa.org and click on Tournaments to get a schedule of sanctioned tournaments.  State in Hallettsville is March 2 with a warmup the night before.

If you want to play, but don't want to pay for a tournament experience, there are clubs popping up.

Austin club is at C. Hunt's off Burnet Rd north of 183.  Should be able to find a game all week, but best time is Sunday.  That will be their league night coming up in a few weeks.

Liberty Hill meets Tuesday nights every week at the Liberty Hill Beer Market (6:00 - 10:00).

Lampasas meets Thursday nights at the Hwy 281 Café & Dance Hall (6:00-9:30)

Fort Worth meets Tuesday nights at Fort Worth Pizzeria (starts 7:00)

I think there's one in the Houston area, but I'm not sure what their details are.

• 4 weeks later...

It's almost that time.  The 42 State Tournament is this weekend in Hallettsville.

Warmup Friday Tournament

Friday March 1

5:00 - 6:00pm Registration/Sign In

6:30pm Start

5-game round robin

Championship Tournament

Saturday March 2

7:00 - 8:00am Registration/Sign In

8:30am Start

5-game round robin in the morning for seeding, break for lunch, then there will be a Championship bracket and a Consolation bracket based on morning results. Championship bracket is best 2/3 each round. Lose a round and you're out.

Register online: https://hallettsville.com/event-registration

Or you can register at the event.

I finally won my first sanctioned tournament 2 weekends ago up in Irving.  I actually won both the Friday and Saturday tournaments with different partners.  Friday was a 6-game round robin.  There were 20 teams.  We were the only one to go 6-0.  Saturday had 31 teams and a 10-game round robin.  We were the only team to go 9-1 and took 1st.

Ha.  When I was working on a gang truck out of Kilgore back in 74, we would play 42 each day at lunch.  2 tables, one of which had we two college boys against old timers, the other table all old timers.  Whatever their ages.  We college boys did not win a single one of these lunch games.  Not even close.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, BTW said:

@Horn21 and I have spent literally hundreds of hours as partners playing this beloved game.  Wishing there was a steady group I knew of that I live out here in Midland.

I know a woman in Eldorado, a couple guys in Canyon, a couple in Abilene, and a bunch in Clovis, NM.  Haven't heard of any in Midland, but I can ask around.  I bet you're not the only one out there.  You could start a weekly 42 group easily, I'm sure.