Harrell stays at USC

Gil Bang

37 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

having a bunch of jags at oline will do that to you, we absolutely couldn't run block two plays in a row. I don't give a fuck what offense is run, we ain't doing shit till the oline is fixed. 

😂😂😂

Yes if only Herman had world beaters on the O line like the mighty Cyclones of Iowa State or that stable of 5 stars at Baylor 

• Like 4
  • Fuck You 1

29 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

😂😂😂

Yes if only Herman had world beaters on the O line like the mighty Cyclones of Iowa State or that stable of 5 stars at Baylor 

Must rep when I'm reloaded.  So tired of hearing that our problem is we lack having a roster of eighty five 5 star rectuits.  And yet somehow we get regularly outplayed by teams with half the recruiting rankings we have.

Yup, it couldn't possibly be that we have shitty coaches that can't develop players with championship level raw talent.

Nope the right answer can only be that the recruiting services somehow only misjudge the talent of the majority of our classes and no one else's, and somehow our coaches only sign the overrated players and none of the correctly rated ones.

• Like 2

Must rep when I'm reloaded.  So tired of hearing that our problem is we lack having a roster of eighty five 5 star rectuits.  And yet somehow we get regularly outplayed by teams with half the recruiting rankings we have.
Yup, it couldn't possibly be that we have shitty coaches that can't develop players with championship level raw talent.
Nope the right answer can only be that the recruiting services somehow only misjudge the talent of the majority of our classes and no one else's, and somehow our coaches only sign the overrated players and none of the correctly rated ones.

Well when you put it that way it makes absolutely perfect sense.

SC keeps Harrell for a few years, we get Urban next year. I can live with that. Of course I'm running out of years but at least I was around for all 4 championships. Don't remember the first luckily. I'm afraid a lot of y'all won't be able to say you were around for 4 championships in your lifetime. And fuck any Bama fan on here that says they've seen 4 in the last decade!

• Like 1

Let's get real... No OC worth a damned is going to jump on a sinking ship. If we want the home run big name OC than we need a new home run big name head coach to hire them. #Urbs2021

People keep saying this, but as far as GH is concerned, it’s irrelevant. Stay on a sinking ship, or leave for 1) a big raise, 2) chance to save a sinking ship, and 3) chance to get a shit ton of credit for saving said ship. The only thing that makes sense for GH not coming is that he doesn’t want to work with TH and/or doesn’t think TH would let him have enough autonomy to where he thinks he could actually make a difference.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, SquishMitten said:

or doesn’t think TH would let him have enough autonomy to where he thinks he could actually make a difference.

This is what I think it is.  A few bad games or even series and Tom's pompous ass overrides him because he is the smartest man in the room.  

1 minute ago, SquishMitten said:

People keep saying this, but as far as GH is concerned, it’s irrelevant. Stay on a sinking ship, or leave for 1) a big raise, 2) chance to save a sinking ship, and 3) chance to get a shit ton of credit for saving said ship. The only thing that makes sense for GH not coming is that he doesn’t want to work with TH and/or doesn’t think TH would let him have enough autonomy to where he thinks he could actually make a difference.

Or maybe he's just comfortable where he is at already and since he's planning on only another year or two before looking for a good HC gig, he'd rather not have to start over at a new place.  

Mensa Tom would not give up control of the offense, so Harrell said no thanks.  It's really that simple.

Applewhite will be the OC...he's the perfect mouthpiece for Tom.  At this point I'm wondering if Applewhite is trying to set a record for the number of times someone can be hired/fired/let go from one university.

Beatty is very much in play for a coaching position, Texas is working on just buying out his Kansas contract.

Edited by texashorn13

2 minutes ago, markstanco said:

This is what I think it is.  A few bad games or even series and Tom's pompous ass overrides him because he is the smartest man in the room.  

When has Herman ever abruptly decided to take over a shit show performance by one of his coaches before he was forced to?  My entire problem with Herman is that he seems to not change course when it is obvious to all watching that a change is needed.

4 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Or maybe he's just comfortable where he is at already and since he's planning on only another year or two before looking for a good HC gig, he'd rather not have to start over at a new place.  

• 2nd year at USC so offense should be better -- Harrell not starting over
  • Better QB room at USC
  • Better WR room at USC
  • More knowns at USC with Helton verses Texas/Mensa 
  • Another year to build stronger West Coast recruiting ties for when he becomes a Head Coach

Harrell must project his quicker path to a Head Coaching gig is staying at USC...

• Like 1

When has Herman ever abruptly decided to take over a shit show performance by one of his coaches before he was forced to?  My entire problem with Herman is that he seems to not change course when it is obvious to all watching that a change is needed.

Why would a guy who knows everything change anything without being forced to?

25 minutes ago, texashorn13 said:

Mensa Tom would not give up control of the offense, so Harrell said no thanks.  It's really that simple.  Applewhite will be the OC...he's the perfect mouthpiece for Tom.          Beatty is very much in play for a coaching position, Texas is working on just buying out his Kansas contract.

Hey @texashorn13 

You claim to talk to players, so what comments are you hearing from players on Ash as the new DC?

Are you speculating or do you have sources saying Mensa was not willing to give up control to Harrell??

A buyout from KU for Beaty makes no sense... please explain?

I hope CDC will not approve Major returning.

Edited by LTtxfan

2 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Hey @texashorn13 

You claim to talk to players, so what comments are you hearing from players on Ash as the new DC?

Are you speculating or do you have sources saying Mensa was not willing to give up control to Harrell??

A buyout from KU for Beaty makes no sense... please explain?

I hope CDC will not approve Major returning.

I haven't talked to anyone in a few days, so not a clue on how the Ash hire has been received.

Mensa and control of the offense is a fact.  In public he keeps saying he wants someone to take over, but privately that's not the case.  Offense is his baby.  At this point he'd be better off owning up to it and just taking over.

Herman wants Beatty on staff officially, but that can't happen until the Kansas stuff is done.  One way to do that is just pay Kansas the money and cut the ties, making Beatty available.  Texas is looking into that option.

I've heard nothing on Major, that was just speculation.  But I think that's where we are trending with this.  He is available, he runs Tom's offense, has worked with Tom, etc.  It'll be another comfort hire that'll give ol' Mensa the warm fuzzies, while not threatening his "smartest person in the room" schtick since he's already worked with Major before.

I will add, personally, that I also don't like his current attitude on the recruiting trail.  I mean seriously, what the f*** with telling recruits not to worry about position coaches because they likely won't be there for a players entire career.  Yes, that may be true, but I would think trying to make a recruit feel at ease about that would be because those coaches are moving onward and upward.  Our current situation with coaches does not trend that direction.  Seriously, Mensa Tom is left holding his d*** in one hand, and in the other he's selling a player to a program where position coaches are just pawns, more or less.  I am truly baffled by this guy.

4 minutes ago, texashorn13 said:

I haven't talked to anyone in a few days, so not a clue on how the Ash hire has been received.

Mensa and control of the offense is a fact.  In public he keeps saying he wants someone to take over, but privately that's not the case.  Offense is his baby.  At this point he'd be better off owning up to it and just taking over.

Herman wants Beatty on staff officially, but that can't happen until the Kansas stuff is done.  One way to do that is just pay Kansas the money and cut the ties, making Beatty available.  Texas is looking into that option.

I've heard nothing on Major, that was just speculation.  But I think that's where we are trending with this.  He is available, he runs Tom's offense, has worked with Tom, etc.  It'll be another comfort hire that'll give ol' Mensa the warm fuzzies, while not threatening his "smartest person in the room" schtick since he's already worked with Major before.

I will add, personally, that I also don't like his current attitude on the recruiting trail.  I mean seriously, what the f*** with telling recruits not to worry about position coaches because they likely won't be there for a players entire career.  Yes, that may be true, but I would think trying to make a recruit feel at ease about that would be because those coaches are moving onward and upward.  Our current situation with coaches does not trend that direction.  Seriously, Mensa Tom is left holding his d*** in one hand, and in the other he's selling a player to a program where position coaches are just pawns, more or less.  I am truly baffled by this guy.

People on this board who parrot the lie that Herman really wants someone to come in and call plays are fucking idiots.

Maybe Tom is killing himself recruiting like his mentor--did you consider that?!!

9 minutes ago, texashorn13 said:

Beatty was fired for cause - he doesn't owe anyone any money and can go to work for Texas right now.  The issue is Beatty doesn't believe Kansas had cause to fire and that he is still owed the money on his deal.  Texas isn't 'paying' Kansas to get a deal done.

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Beatty was fired for cause - he doesn't owe anyone any money and can go to work for Texas right now.  The issue is Beatty doesn't believe Kansas had cause to fire and that he is still owed the money on his deal.  Texas isn't 'paying' Kansas to get a deal done.

Don't kill the messenger.  But yes, Texas is looking to pay for resolution because Beatty is wanted on staff.

9 minutes ago, texashorn13 said:

Don't kill the messenger.  But yes, Texas is looking to pay for resolution because Beatty is wanted on staff.

What I'm saying is that if Texas wants to hire Beatty - they can hire him right now - paying Kansas won't expedite it.   Beatty would need to drop his lawsuit against Kansas.  The only person Texas could pay to speed this up would be Beatty?

Is there some sort of bonus Beatty was paid that Kansas is trying to get him to return?  That's the only thing i could think of that would have Texas paying Kansas to get a deal done?

Beatty is suing Kansas for the 3 million he is owed:

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/big-12/university-of-kansas/article227485449.html

Beatty as OC would mean that Beck could/would stay on as QB coach.

Edited by Hiphopopotamos

1 hour ago, texashorn13 said:

Mensa Tom would not give up control of the offense, so Harrell said no thanks.  It's really that simple.

Applewhite will be the OC...he's the perfect mouthpiece for Tom.  At this point I'm wondering if Applewhite is trying to set a record for the number of times someone can be hired/fired/let go from one university.

Beatty is very much in play for a coaching position, Texas is working on just buying out his Kansas contract.

spacer.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Btw Surly Folks... It's Beaty.   (Not Beatty).   

I sure hope David Beaty is not being considered for an on the field coaching job at Texas...   NO, NO, NO!!!

Mensa needs a lot more diversity on this Staff -- not a bunch of "Yes Men".  Speaking of diversity, FWIW -- football kids at a High School in DFW have shared that negative recruiting against Texas has included comments that Mensa's Staff is "too white".

• Like 1

I don't know how anyone can be surprised that an offensive coach with an identity he's pretty married to doesn't want someone to come in and install a whole different system. To be fair, Urban's pretty much the same way, and his offenses have also gotten pretty bogged down at times when he didn't have someone who was good at calling plays and adding new wrinkles. But calling plays and adding wrinkles here and there is exactly the job description we have a vacancy for. Lashlee seems like someone who could do that, there are probably others out there too.

At a certain point though if Herman believes that strongly in his system I think he should probably just declare himself OC and let someone he trusts handle the defense on gameday, much like Gary Patterson did as a defensive coach who eventually just turned some guys loose with the offense and concerned himself with the defense. That went really well for a while. 

4 hours ago, LTtxfan said:
  • 2nd year at USC so offense should be better -- Harrell not starting over
  • Better QB room at USC
  • Better WR room at USC
  • More knowns at USC with Helton verses Texas/Mensa 
  • Another year to build stronger West Coast recruiting ties for when he becomes a Head Coach

Harrell must project his quicker path to a Head Coaching gig is staying at USC...

I can see Harrell getting plucked away by another Pac team after a good year or 2. He has a west coast vibe about him already.

On 12/17/2019 at 11:12 AM, texaslong said:

Harrell has to be an idiot. Dude signed for a little over 1 million to live in LA. Even if he didn't want to come to Texas he could have used it to get a much larger contract. 1 million in LA is meh. 

Maybe he just wants to swim thru west coast pussy.

On 12/17/2019 at 9:33 AM, texashorn13 said:

I will add, personally, that I also don't like his current attitude on the recruiting trail.  I mean seriously, what the f*** with telling recruits not to worry about position coaches because they likely won't be there for a players entire career.  

Change that to “head coaches” and it’s just full disclosure. 

On 12/17/2019 at 3:55 AM, CfRhTxStBobcats said:

SC keeps Harrell for a few years, we get Urban next year. I can live with that. Of course I'm running out of years but at least I was around for all 4 championships. Don't remember the first luckily. I'm afraid a lot of y'all won't be able to say you were around for 4 championships in your lifetime. And fuck any Bama fan on here that says they've seen 4 in the last decade!

Or a rested, tanned and ready Peterson?  He's younger than Urbs, right?  I watched a shortened version of that Fiesta Bowl the other day and didn't remember that in an interview right after the game,  Peterson gave his backup QBs credit for the trick plays.   Has there ever been a larger talent discrepancy than that game that went the underdog's way?  Talk about player development, wow! 

As much as Herman deserves criticism for staff management, I don’t blame him for letting Harrell slip. 

6 hours ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Harrell obviously can’t recruit and is ranked in the triple digits in terms of rushing. With Ingram, Robinson, Young, Whittington, most likely Kirk Johnson, Derrian Brown (although highly unlikely he plays), and possibly RoJo, I don’t blame Herman telling Harrell to fuck off honestly. 

The grunting ape at LSU is about to win a natty because he snagged an NFL guy. Let’s find a guy that will fit well with the resources we have.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sandman said:

So it would be just like if he was at Texas, right?

I hope you die tonight.

SC wishes it had a game day atmosphere that rivaled ours. Our team might be 7-5 but our home games were a blast this year. 

Edited by immamac
Good way to take a vacation - Death Wish
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

On 12/16/2019 at 11:00 PM, 6th Street said:

😂😂😂

Baylor's in the Sugar Bowl, so were we last year, Iowa State hasn't won shit, not sure what your point is.

• Like 1

I just watched this clip from today of Colin Cowherd & Joek Klatt discussing USC (Skip to the 6:43 mark):

Joel Klatt joins Colin Cowherd and previews the Clemson Tigers vs. Ohio State Buckeyes and Oklahoma Sooners vs. LSU Tigers CFP semifinal games. Klatt also talks about the recruiting woes of USC and if the Trojans are no longer elite.

#TheHerd #CFB #OhioState #Clemson #Oklahoma #LSU #USC #JoelKlatt

After watching this clip I'm now 100% convinced that the $9.95ers were right that Herman is the reason Harrell isn't currently's UT's OC. As much as we talk about Herman being in the hot seat & coaching for his job next season, USC is a DISASTER right now compared to UT.

• 3 weeks later...