They mighta found mass graves from the Tulsa race riots

Parliament

The official death toll from the 1921 Tulsa race massacre stands at 36, but historians have long believed that around 300 black men, women, and children were killed when white rioters led by the Ku Klux Klan attacked and burned the city's Greenwood neighborhood. University of Oklahoma experts now believe they have found at least one mass grave holding victims of the violence, which erupted on May 31, 1921, after a black teenager was falsely accused of assaulting a white woman, NBC reports.

https://www.newser.com/story/284460/possible-mass-graves-from-tulsa-race-massacre-found.html

ETA

If you decide to make this political, start a thread for pissbagging in the CR.

Edited by Parliament
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I did find it odd that I had never learned about this in school when I first read about it a few years ago. I wish they would cover more stuff like this so that people don't forget.

No shit. I'd never heard of it until I did a planning project in Tulsa around 2007 when they showed our team what was left of the neighborhood. I know they're all dead and gone now, but I still wouldn't mind seeing some asskickin' justice.

q72uoe4cy0x21.jpg

• Like 3

I don’t recall if it was discussed when I attended high school in the Tulsa suburbs in the late 90s but it’s been a big deal since I moved back in 2008. It’s referred to now as a massacre, not a riot, because that’s what it was. There’s only so much truth that can be discovered 100 years later, but the city has admitted to finding evidence of city officials covering up many aspects of what happened at the time. I’m glad the current mayor and city council aren’t shying away from the dirty facts from back then.

9 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I did find it odd that I had never learned about this in school when I first read about it a few years ago. I wish they would cover more stuff like this so that people don't forget.

Heck, I grew up there a loooong time ago and I don't remember it being discussed or covered much, but I was also a self-absorbed teen. By the late 90's, long after I left, it began to receive more attention after years of maybe an article here or there during the anniversary or in small publications (I have family still living there). By 2001, the state had a report, (Oklahoma Commission to Study the Tulsa Race Riot of 1921-link below, graphic photos so be warned).

https://www.okhistory.org/research/forms/freport.pdf

7 minutes ago, bolverk said:

No shit. I'd never heard of it until I did a planning project in Tulsa around 2007 when they showed our team what was left of the neighborhood. I know they're all dead and gone now, but I still wouldn't mind seeing some asskickin' justice.

For the record, the citizens of that area rebuilt most of what was lost in the massacre. The neighborhood was officially killed in the 50's and 60's through "urban renewal" and the building of highways right through the heart of that neighborhood. It killed a bunch of history in town, but was especially harsh on the minority neighborhoods to the north.

2 minutes ago, 'stache said:

For the record, the citizens of that area rebuilt most of what was lost in the massacre. The neighborhood was officially killed in the 50's and 60's through "urban renewal" and the building of highways right through the heart of that neighborhood. It killed a bunch of history in town, but was especially harsh on the minority neighborhoods to the north.

50s and 60s?  Could have easily been folks around during the massacre who were guiding those highway routes.    

Remember hearing about this years ago, and then the Smithsonian dug up accounts of the attacks from the airplanes, and it was like “holy shit”.   

Oh yeah, it cut those streets off from everything. Downtown became less and less of a destination for the white citizens who were moving further and further south. During the day the city center was busy due to the Williams Companies, BOK, the library, etc but for those that lived in the neighborhoods and unincorporated areas just north of there, it took quite awhile to recover. My folks had family still living in Sand Springs and some of the rural areas near north Tulsa so I remember the car rides traveling through areas that many people never went near.

4 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

50s and 60s?  Could have easily been folks around during the massacre who were guiding those highway routes.    

Remember hearing about this years ago, and then the Smithsonian dug up accounts of the attacks from the airplanes, and it was like “holy shit”.   

They destroyed a lot of things, including in some wealthy white neighborhoods, but only where it was absolutely necessary, in their view. But yeah, it was much "easier" to find routes through certain neighborhoods, and they definitely did that where possible. It's definitely possible, if not likely, that a bunch of the people who were part of the massacre were still alive making those decisions..

Edited by 'stache

9 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I'm well aware of the history of the "urban renewal" policies during that time (it wasn't just Tulsa) and didn't mean to mischaracterize that thedesolation at the time was a direct result of the 1921 massacre. Sorry if my brevity resulted in leaving that impression.

I should add, I'm not blameless here. I grew up in a suburb that was built upon land once owned by African American farmers who got bought out by developers. I can hope that the farmers received a fair price for the land, but to be honest I don't know if they owned it or were sharecropping. Looking back, though, I can see why it would have been an African American area, the land was rocky and the soil was poor. The better land was not available to them any  more than the schools or other white institutions were.

I grew up not far from Slocum, Texas and I just heard about the Slocum Massacre the other week. Sounds very similar to what happened in Tulsa and even around the same time. So sad that I never heard anything about it. People need to know about these horrible, evil acts. No matter how much we may not want to believe it.

8 minutes ago, bolverk said:

I'm well aware of the history of the "urban renewal" policies during that time (it wasn't just Tulsa) and didn't mean to mischaracterize that thedesolation at the time was a direct result of the 1921 massacre. Sorry if my brevity resulted in leaving that impression.

I also thought for some time that the massacre was what killed the neighborhood, and it's an understandable perception. But I have read a lot about the situation and many are pressing the story of the citizens rebuilding the area. It speaks to the character of the people who lived there and rebuilt after what was done to them. They could have simply fled and moved, some did, but the people who stayed and rebuilt is a positive story that comes out of the tragedy.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I also thought for some time that the massacre was what killed the neighborhood, and it's an understandable perception. But I have read a lot about the situation and many are pressing the story of the citizens rebuilding the area. It speaks to the character of the people who lived there and rebuilt after what was done to them. They could have simply fled and moved, some did, but the people who stayed and rebuilt is a positive story that comes out of the tragedy.

I'm constantly amazed by the ability of humans of any stripe to bounce back after such horrendous events, but I'm flat out in awe of the resilience shown throughout our history by many African American communities in the face of such persistent persecution. I hope this thread stays alive long enough to eventually include the report on the findings of this grave site.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I’m glad I’m not the only one who learned about this well after school. I chalked it up to a less than stellar education when I first read about it.  Disturbing event. 

Agree, I had no idea about this while in school. Is this in US History books now?

16 minutes ago, BayouBill said:

People need to know about these horrible, evil acts. No matter how much we may not want to believe it.

I sure hope that it isn't "cloakroom" to observe that as a nation, we have never fully acknowledged or reconciled our horrible history on race, and that ignorance and lack of reckoning is hurting the hell out of our entire society to this day.  It's our original sin, and we have repeated it over and over (Jim Crow, lynchings, Civil Rights era brutality, police bias, criminal justice bias, etc.), and we've never faced it full-on.  So we have never gotten past it, and we can't.

18 minutes ago, BayouBill said:

I grew up not far from Slocum, Texas and I just heard about the Slocum Massacre the other week. Sounds very similar to what happened in Tulsa and even around the same time. So sad that I never heard anything about it. People need to know about these horrible, evil acts. No matter how much we may not want to believe it.

I hadn't read about the Slocum Massacre in any detail until you posted this.  Probably because it wasn't even officially acknowledged until like 2011.

15 minutes ago, bolverk said:

I'm constantly amazed by the ability of humans of any stripe to bounce back after such horrendous events, but I'm flat out in awe of the resilience shown throughout our history by many African American communities in the face of such persistent persecution. I hope this thread stays alive long enough to eventually include the report on the findings of this grave site.

I'll update it when things happen, if it drops below. I was happy to see some interest here in the first place. It's making national news, and I think that is a good thing. Acknowledging a horrible event, and highlighting how the city is currently dealing with it.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

I hadn't read about the Slocum Massacre in any detail until you posted this.  Probably because it wasn't even officially acknowledged until like 2011.

Yup. That was news to me too. It didn't get a historical marker until 2015.

Here's the text from it:

Racial tensions in America in the early 20th century were sometimes punctuated by violent outbursts. One such occasion began near Slocum and Denson Springs and spread across a wide area near the Anderson-Houston county line. Beginning on the morning of July 29, 1910, groups of armed white men shot and killed African Americans, first firing on a group near Sadler's Creek. Murders in the black community continued during the remainder of that day and night. Accounts in state and national newspapers brought widespread attention to the situation. Judges ordered saloons and gun and ammunition stores to close, and state militia and Texas Rangers were dispatched to the area. The murders of eight men were officially recorded. The victims were Cleveland Larkin, Alex Holley (Hollie), Sam Baker, Dick Wilson, Jeff Wilson, Ben Dancer, John Hays and Will Burly. Many African American families fled the area and did not return. Eleven white men were soon arrested, and district judge Benjamin H. Gardner empaneled a grand jury within a week. When its findings were reported on August 17, seven men were indicted. The cases were moved to Harris County but were never prosecuted. The events which came to be known as the "Slocum Massacre" largely disappeared from public view in subsequent generations. In 2011, the 82nd Texas Legislature adopted a resolution acknowledging the incident and stating that "only by shining a light on previous injustices can we learn from them and move toward a future of greater healing and reconciliation." (2015)

There's no Street View available, but the Texas Historical Commission Atlas shows the location of the marker just to the right of the small roadside graveyard here:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Slocum,+TX+75839/@31.6255665,-95.456072,145m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x864873c3fe4de79f:0xc8a7f78cbb124d41!8m2!3d31.6312864!4d-95.4621725

Edit: For Texas history buffs, you can look up all sorts of cool information on sites around the state here: https://atlas.thc.state.tx.us/ 

Edited by bolverk

32 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Yup. That was news to me too. It didn't get a historical marker until 2015.

Here's the text from it:

There's no Street View available, but the Texas Historical Commission Atlas shows the location of the marker just to the right of the small roadside graveyard here:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Slocum,+TX+75839/@31.6255665,-95.456072,145m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x864873c3fe4de79f:0xc8a7f78cbb124d41!8m2!3d31.6312864!4d-95.4621725

Edit: For Texas history buffs, you can look up all sorts of cool information on sites around the state here: https://atlas.thc.state.tx.us/ 

Incidents like that are what led to an egress of African Americans out of rural East Texas and into cities like Houston and Dallas. Not talked about too much but given the opportunity for mobility out of a farm setting many took the gamble to move away from all that. Couple Freedmen's Towns in Dallas formed as a result of this migration.

Tennessee Colony is one example of a Freedmen's Town that stayed put and clustered African Americans in a community. It still exists today and a fun place to visit not far from Slocum.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Parliament said:

The official death toll from the 1921 Tulsa race massacre stands at 36, but historians have long believed that around 300 black men, women, and children were killed when white rioters led by the Ku Klux Klan attacked and burned the city's Greenwood neighborhood. University of Oklahoma experts now believe they have found at least one mass grave holding victims of the violence, which erupted on May 31, 1921, after a black teenager was falsely accused of assaulting a white woman, NBC reports.

https://www.newser.com/story/284460/possible-mass-graves-from-tulsa-race-massacre-found.html

ETA

If you decide to make this political, start a thread for pissbagging in the CR.

It would probably help if you didn't call it a race riot.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zepol87 said:

Agree, I had no idea about this while in school. Is this in US History books now?

HBO’s Watchmen is putting it the minds of a lot of folks.  They did a promo graphic novel thing about it with The Atlantic and others:

https://www.theatlantic.com/sponsored/hbo-2019/the-massacre-of-black-wall-street/3217/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

As long as we're talking massacres, the Texas Rangers conducted a horrendous one 101 years ago in Porvenir, Texas.

https://www.porvenirmassacre.org/

A guy I  know, Kirby Warnock, is a Baylor grad with long ties to old Texas. He produced and filmed a movie some years back about the Rangers and an unsavory portion of their history.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4435100/

58 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

HBO’s Watchmen is putting it the minds of a lot of folks.  They did a promo graphic novel thing about it with The Atlantic and others:

https://www.theatlantic.com/sponsored/hbo-2019/the-massacre-of-black-wall-street/3217/

there is a great quote in this piece, and thanks for posting:

“White people remember history differently than African Americans do, and the reality is that we have one common history. There’s only one American history, and until we are able to confront the bad parts as well as the good parts, we’re never going to be on the same page on how we view the country, its promises, its problems,” Ellsworth says. “We still have a lot of work to do in Tulsa. There is no question. There is still a lot of hurt and anger over this.”

The hurt remains in part because of what happened after the fires burned out. In the days that followed the massacre, insurance companies refused to reimburse the damage done to Greenwood, since “riots” were not covered. As a result, in the weeks that followed the massacre, many of Tulsa’s Black residents were forced to languish in the makeshift holding areas they’d been taken to that night, or leave the city—and the community that they’d built—altogether.

“The accumulation of a massive amount of wealth and the loss of income that would have been earned, had Greenwood been allowed to thrive undisturbed, is almost incalculable,” says Odewale. “But just as important are the things that can’t be quantified, such as the loss of the sense of safety in their own city, the loss of trust in city officials, law enforcement, and in some cases, in people altogether.”

every time a racial topic comes up, and someone want to try and think that we live in a post-racist america, i think about things like this. sure, it was a century ago, but the reverberations of such terrible atrocities are difficult to quantify. and this is just an isolated incident in the jim crow south. i was not aware this even happened until recently - same with the slocum one, and the story of porvenir was brand new to me today. this makes me wonder what ELSE i don't know.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

What is the story behind the Porvenir Massacre?  The website doesn't actually say what the Ranger were doing there.

Basically it was during the Mexican Revolution when there were hostilities along the border (the "Border War") and so the Rangers had been tasked with finding justice after some raid that had happened. So they decided that these 15 guys were Mexican so they could kill them and call it justice for that raid.

24 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I only heard about Tulsa from watchmen last month. I only heard of these others from this thread just now. 
i assume its purposeful whitewashing, and that’s criminal. 

It is purposeful as hell.

And so often when these things are brought up, the backlash is "why are you talking about such negative things!  That happened a long time ago!  I didn't do any of that!  Racial grievances are the REAL problem!" and stuff like that.  We are utterly incapable of having a meaningful conversation about race, and about facing our past.

You can't get past a wrong until you acknowledge it and own it as a society.

16 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

I first learned about the Tulsa communal massacres after I watched this Vox video on YouTube earlier this year. Some folks hate to see other people's success:

thanks for posting this.

the part about the pictures becoming postcards is...wow. i just don't know, man. 

i've totally gone down the rabbit hole. i did not know about the omaha race riot or the wilmington insurrection either.

just crazy.

charles aycock, the organizer of the wilmington massacre (as it should be called) had great success afterwards:

Became the 50th Governor of North Carolina. In 1900, he defended the mob violence as being justified to preserve the peace, "This was not an act of rowdy or lawless men. It was the act of merchants, of manufacturers, of railroad men — an act in which every man worthy of the name joined. He gave a famous speech in 1903, about how North Carolina solved "The Negro Problem."[102][103][104][105] Ran for the U.S. Senate, in 1912, against Furnifold Simmons, but died before the campaign was decided. There are statues in his honor on Capitol Hill, and at the North Carolina State Capital.

when they say "capitol hill" they mean the us capitol:

6263516069_f8dbdb188d_o.jpg?itok=cgNAugY

please do note that in the description of his career on the website, there is no mention at all of the wilmington massacre:

Charles Brantley Aycock was born on November 1, 1859, on a farm near Fremont in Wayne County, North Carolina. Though his father died when he was 15, his mother and older brothers recognized his abilities and determined that he should go to college. After graduating from the University of North Carolina in 1880 with first honors in both oratory and essay writing, he entered law practice in Goldsboro and supplemented his income by teaching school. His success in both fields led to his appointment as superintendent of schools for Wayne County and to service on the school board in Goldsboro.

His political career began in 1888 as a presidential elector for Grover Cleveland, when he gained distinction as an orator and political debater. From 1893 to 1897 he served as U.S. attorney for the eastern district of North Carolina, and he was elected governor in 1900. His greatest achievement in office was in education, to which he was dedicated after watching his mother make her mark when signing a deed. He felt that no lasting social reform could be accomplished without education. He supported increased salaries for teachers, longer school terms, and new school buildings; almost 3,000 schools were built during his administration. Other reforms he supported included laws to establish fair election machinery, to prevent lynching, to erect a reformatory for boys, and to restrict child labor.

He resumed his law practice in 1905, but in 1911 he yielded to pressure to seek the Democratic nomination for the U.S. Senate. He died on April 4, 1912, while campaigning.

jesus wept.

Thanks for  posting the video, I am going to watch that later.

The thing is, during the early 20th century, Tulsa was rolling in money. Mostly oil money but they had a lot of industry going on. We had family in ag, the glass factory, the box factory, the DX refinery (although I don't know when that was built exactly) and so on. A lot of the art deco buildings were constructed then as well as the oil money homes such as Villa Philbrook. So, a thriving place and yet, you have hate hate hate. Really sad.

A lot of you are probably aware of the Osage murders, but again, a lot of history gets 'whitewashed' and you don't hear about it until the last decade or so when more advocates for 'silent voices'  have spoken out like Dennis McAuliffe or David Grann. The Booker T Washington cemetery in the south part of town was always called that when I was a kid, but apparently sometime after I left the name got changed to some generic pastoral title to fit in with the wealthy white people whose homes now surrounded it. I think the church is still up the road, or at least it was several years ago when I was last back to visit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Basically it was during the Mexican Revolution when there were hostilities along the border (the "Border War") and so the Rangers had been tasked with finding justice after some raid that had happened. So they decided that these 15 guys were Mexican so they could kill them and call it justice for that raid.

Those Rangers, US Cavalry, and local ranchers murdering those 15 guys is bad, but damned if it’s almost like some of the fine folks in Presidio County and various appointees to the THC board or whatever were still trying to cover it up a century later.

That asshole rancher in the article above, bitching that it was called a massacre....I wish it was surprising, but it’s not.  

2 hours ago, CHEF DIESEL said:

Incidents like that are what led to an egress of African Americans out of rural East Texas and into cities like Houston and Dallas. Not talked about too much but given the opportunity for mobility out of a farm setting many took the gamble to move away from all that. Couple Freedmen's Towns in Dallas formed as a result of this migration.

Tennessee Colony is one example of a Freedmen's Town that stayed put and clustered African Americans in a community. It still exists today and a fun place to visit not far from Slocum.

Same thing happened in midwest as well.  Today's view of African-Americans primarily residing in urban settings is really only an 80 year old phenomenon. Jamelle Bouie has written a lot about of how early on a significant amount of black migration out the south was into rural areas of the midwest, but racial animus (ie riots) pushed black folks to frequently coalesce into urban enclaves.  

There were race riots in Longview in 1919 as well. Black man was apparently giving a white girl from Kilgore too much attention (some accounts say he was caught in her bedroom), got arrested, busted out by a lynch mob, and got killed by said mob. Then an article came out in a Chicago paper about the incident saying the girl would have married him had they lived up north. Of course Kilgore being such a small town, everybody knew who the girl was. And a black school teacher from Longview was known to be a correspondent for said paper...

They ended up calling in the Texas National Gaurd and Texas Rangers and putting the town under martial law

Colonel H.C. Smith was placed in command of the Texas Rangers. McDill ordered a 10:30 PM to 6:00 AM curfew in Longview, and prohibited groups of three or more people from gathering on the streets. He ordered the local telephone operators not to place any long-distance calls, to prevent recruiting of weapons or men from neighboring towns. He ordered all residents of Longview and Kilgore to surrender their weapons at the county courthouse in Longview. Residents were warned that their homes could be searched, with a severe penalty for concealing firearms. An estimated 5,000 to 7,000 guns were turned in at the courthouse, and stored in "scattered locations throughout the building.

Officially, only one other person died besides the original one who got killed by the lynch mob.

1 hour ago, hayden_horn said:

and another:

the elaine massacre

also in 1919, which was a bad year for black folks. my goodness.

just a few years before that 10,000 people gathered outside of the waco courthouse to watch a mob torture, stab, beat, castrate, burn alive, and then lynch to death Jessie Washington. That seemed like a pretty shitty time to be a black person in the South.

1 hour ago, El Diablo said:

It was the last gasp of a bygone era. Post Reconstruction and blacks were free to own property and to work for wages. Job scarcity led to whites being resentful of blacks who were willing to work for less. Just a small part of the story but definitely a contributing factor.

It's also no coincidence that many of these massacres occurred in the years following World War I when African American soldiers were returning from Europe where they'd been treated relatively well (or better than the US) and began asking for more equal treatment in America. Of course, this scared the shit out of many Whites and caused a horrible backlash that lead to these "riots" as well as the resurgence of the Klan during the 1920s.

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I only heard about Tulsa from watchmen last month. I only heard of these others from this thread just now. 
i assume its purposeful whitewashing, and that’s criminal. 

I'm actually a little surprised by this. Whitewashing obviously happens, but we were taught about the Tulsa massacre (was called race riot then fwiw) when I was in high school eons ago (the early 90s).

My uncle was on a rant once about how he was in Ireland and learned about Wounded Knee there, pissy because his own country didn't know etc.. etc.., but I actually was taught that too. I guess we just fortunate to have a better school system for that sort of thing. City of Virginia Beach btw.

56 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

just a few years before that 10,000 people gathered outside of the waco courthouse to watch a mob torture, stab, beat, castrate, burn alive, and then lynch to death Jessie Washington. That seemed like a pretty shitty time to be a black person in the South.

Waco black lore holds that the '53 tornado took the same path thru town that Washington was dragged by the mob. Same story is hardly known in white Waco.

1 hour ago, G650 said:

I'm actually a little surprised by this. Whitewashing obviously happens, but we were taught about the Tulsa massacre (was called race riot then fwiw) when I was in high school eons ago (the early 90s).

We were taught about it in the late 90s in my Oklahoma high school.  But my recollection was that it was not in the textbook.  Our teacher just thought it was important that we all know what our great-grandparents were capable of.  

• Like 3