Hastag Menswear - Win Instagram or Die Trying

G650

23 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

I do know enough to know that part of the problem with that image is the knots are all wrong for the collars.  Looks way tighter than I tie it even when I'm making that knot.  I think my distaste for the spread collar comes from every badly dressed dude wearing a spread collared shirt with the top button undone for the third time between washes and the tips are halfway to the shoulder

Sloppy-shirt-collar.jpg

Well, to me anyway, a straight or point collar, which I'm guessing that is, looks sort of unkempt without a tie many times.  A more spready collar less so, simply because it's shorter.

If I am going to wear without a tie, I prefer button downs first and spreads second.

50 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Yeah, you can't really judge whether a spread collar looks good when it is shown with a four in hand knot. The english spread or president spread can look nice with a proper combo, but getting any wider than that is getting a bit flashy imo.

Although a windsor looks good with a spread-y collar, due to its width, I prefer the shape of four-in-hand pretty much all the time.  You can tie it a little looser or with a big fat grenadine silk tie to take up the space.

40 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well, to me anyway, a straight or point collar, which I'm guessing that is, looks sort of unkempt without a tie many times.  A more spready collar less so, simply because it's shorter.

If I am going to wear without a tie, I prefer button downs first and spreads second.

you just pointed it out but I've always equated that look to spread collars and that's definitely a point.

On 1/4/2020 at 11:13 PM, TwiceHorn said:

Although a windsor looks good with a spread-y collar, due to its width, I prefer the shape of four-in-hand pretty much all the time.  You can tie it a little looser or with a big fat grenadine silk tie to take up the space.

Or just do a double four in hand.  

I like oxford shirts and saw an ad for one I liked from Proper Cloth (blue and red university stripe).  I got it right on my second try - the first one shrunk a bit too small after the first wash.  On the first shirt they let you send it back twice to be "remade" (new shirt sent and they do whatever with the old one) for free.  I like the collar, fabric seems nice, I may take another look at some of the other customization options that exist (buttons, cuffs) as I replace some other shirts that are a bit too short.

• 1 year later...
59 minutes ago, G650 said:

@Ghost of LL

This is something you need to add to your collection. Geisha braces from Thurston

20210212-164720.jpg

I do have a new navy double-breasted suit that would look marvelous with those.  But the thing is, though, with a double-breasted suit you'd never see them since you never unbutton the coat.

34 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I do have a new navy double-breasted suit that would look marvelous with those.  But the thing is, though, with a double-breasted suit you'd never see them since you never unbutton the coat.

Of course, I wear three pieces in general, so same. But you will know it's there...

52 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

I guess this is the proper thread. What's the upscale headware for cold weather.  My bald head usually wears a beanie when it dips below 40, but a beanie doesn't really pass even Friday casual  for professionalism.  Should I get a George constanza Russian nutria hat?  

I'm not sure about that. A good navy cashmere beanie is pretty good look imo.

If you wanted to go more traditional though I have a tweed Irish walking hat that is crazy warm. A nice Donegal tweed.

130_9064_large.jpg

2 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

I guess this is the proper thread. What's the upscale headware for cold weather.  My bald head usually wears a beanie when it dips below 40, but a beanie doesn't really pass even Friday casual  for professionalism.  Should I get a George constanza Russian nutria hat?  

In what context is it too cold to not have anything on your head, but not cold enough where it would be incongruous with your outerwear ?

Like if I have a “dressy” SB wool overcoat on top of a suit, and it’s cold enough to throw a scarf on top of that, wearing a beanie up top isn’t exactly going to dress it down. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

In what context is it too cold to not have anything on your head, but not cold enough where it would be incongruous with your outerwear ?

Like if I have a “dressy” SB wool overcoat on top of a suit, and it’s cold enough to throw a scarf on top of that, wearing a beanie up top isn’t exactly going to dress it down. 

I wear these every time I'm in New York in the winter. They work really well. https://www.josbank.com/p/jos-a-bank-black-ear-warmers?store=JAB761&channel=PLA&brand=JAB&source=google&medium=cpc&campaign=8087871480&adgroup_id=90491428064&keyword=aud-347084016400:pla-446249202853&content=JosBank/8UTE_01_JOSEPH_A_BANK_BLACK_MAIN&match_type=&ad_id=396679862871&category=Apparel %26 Accessories|Clothing Accessories&custom_label=ACCESSORIES|Non-Clearance&catargetid=430003740004949314&cadevice=c&gclid=CjwKCAiAsaOBBhA4EiwAo0_AnDsQxIGQ60lhz71cXWFjanSQIgTlKwP11eym-KwyyWUNow5IAsF_wxoCIPoQAvD_BwE

19 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Just go with a classic but only if you have the overcoat to go  with it.

fedora-jpg.29907

On 12/19/2019 at 5:16 PM, G650 said:

Absolutely no fucking way.

What are the rest of those things listed? That is getting into reasonable price. Even in say Hong Kong the cheapest you could physically get the work done for bespoke suiting is about 2500 USD.

"Bespoke" is the new code word for "made to measure." It's not custom. It's modified "off the rack." But it is not traditional bespoke tailoring. 

On 12/17/2019 at 2:23 PM, ChiTownDoc said:

I’ll shoot.  Shoes/bags:

Berluti

not sure how i have not seen this thread for two years but..."my man..."  all in on berluti on shoes, belts, bags, and even scarves here.  ready to wear lorenzos for daily wear...most recent addition below which were truly bespoke based on the demesures from the ny shop.

IMG_4669.thumb.jpeg.c688c90c28974d571ce9b3e61c537441.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, sidis said:

not sure how i have not seen this thread for two years but..."my man..."  all in on berluti on shoes, belts, bags, and even scarves here.  ready to wear lorenzos for daily wear...most recent addition below which were truly bespoke based on the demesures from the ny shop.

IMG_4669.thumb.jpeg.c688c90c28974d571ce9b3e61c537441.jpeg

I’ll post some pics as soon as I’m back to cold ass Chicago.  But props to you...

• 10 months later...
2 hours ago, sidis said:

@ChiTownDoc, do you have one of the new E'Mio briefcases from Berluti?

thinking about pulling the trigger on one but since you seem to get virtually each of their bags, curious what you thought if you have one.

I have not.  Looking at scritto version though. Love it.  Did the carryon in Scritto and it’s amazing.  

On 12/27/2019 at 8:04 PM, G650 said:

Suede loafers with no socks is probably like my 99% of the time going out shie these days.

Would you be able to give some high level advice/suggestions on the right pairings for Suede loafers? For example, I love the look of these and these, but I worry that I wouldn't know how to appropriately match them with the right pants (color, material, etc.). I'll hang up and listen.

46 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Would you be able to give some high level advice/suggestions on the right pairings for Suede loafers? For example, I love the look of these and these, but I worry that I wouldn't know how to appropriately match them with the right pants (color, material, etc.). I'll hang up and listen.

You could wear those with everything from madras shorts with a button down to a linen suit

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

So C&J make up probably 75% of my shoes, those are fantastic choices. Like Buff says below, you can wear them with almost anything this side of a conservative business suit. I've got a mid blue Holland & Sherry linen suit and this is exactly the shoe I'd wear. Great with denim as well.

2 hours ago, 66BUFF said:

You could wear those with everything from madras shorts with a button down to a linen suit

Edited by G650
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, G650 said:

So C&J make up probably 75% of my shoes, those are fantastic choices. Like Buff says below, you can wear them with almost anything this side of a conservative business suit. I've got a mid blue Holland & Sherry linen suit and this is exactly the shoe I'd wear. Great with denim as well.

Thanks. As long as they are versatile with denim and something like a olive/navy/khaki nicer chino (which I can never pick), should be good. 

15 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

For the slightly more po folks - didn’t need much in the way of clothes in 2020-21 but have noticed that North Carolina is a bit cooler and much wetter than Austin. Bought a Barbour jacket and it’s my new favorite thing this winter.

I’ve worn the Bedale as my fall jacket in nyc the last 4 or 5 years. Great jacket. 

16 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

For the slightly more po folks - didn’t need much in the way of clothes in 2020-21 but have noticed that North Carolina is a bit cooler and much wetter than Austin. Bought a Barbour jacket and it’s my new favorite thing this winter.

I've got a couple Barbours. One quilted, and a one off collaboration with Norton that is a heavy cotton duck waxed jacket that I wear pretty much as my daily work jacket.

10-07-2013_barbour-norton_barrajacket_na

For a regular waxed jacket I picked up a Dubarry Carrickfergus, which I like because it is way more tailored than the Barbours which are super baggy on a skinny dude like me.

dubarry-of-ireland-carrickfergus-jacket-

1 minute ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Thanks. As long as they are versatile with denim and something like a olive/navy/khaki nicer chino (which I can never pick), should be good. 

I’ve worn the Bedale as my fall jacket in nyc the last 4 or 5 years. Great jacket. 

Oh yeah, you are all good.

6 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Personally, I like the more traditional first one.  It's a little less Gucci than the second.  Saves you some coin, too.

You can't really go wrong with the "Gucci" type, but I tend to prefer what I call the Alden type, and I think you can dress it up further than the Gucci type.  Cordovan or tan/brown works pretty well as a dual-purpose shoe.

Edited by TwiceHorn

37 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Personally, I like the more traditional first one.  It's a little less Gucci than the second.  Saves you some coin, too.

You can't really go wrong with the "Gucci" type, but I tend to prefer what I call the Alden type, and I think you can dress it up further than the Gucci type.  Cordovan or tan/brown works pretty well as a dual-purpose shoe.

I also liked the shape of the first one, but think I favor the color of the second a bit more. Will keep poking around