Christmas and NY Menus

Anastasis

Let's talk this shit.  Always like to lift ideas from others on the board. 

2018 Xmas version: 

I am planning out NYE menu. 

At this point I know that it will involve oysters (probably grilled or baked), lobster (maybe in a ravioli), a twist on parisa/steak tartare, but still some things to work out, including primary protein. 

So what are you degenerates serving up? 

17 hours ago, Anastasis said:

My favorite "celebrity" chef to emulate is the Pioneer Woman.  Her beef tenderloin recipe is so lights-out amazing that it's requested YOY.  This will be the 4th year in a row.  Sides will be homemade sourdough bread, brussels (balsamic or other possibilities), Bob's Steakhouse giant carrots, and a starch - probably as fancy a macaroni as I can manage and/or mashed potatoes.

And wine.  Lots, and lots of wine.  

4e00dbc57c02d4e33a8117856f97933d.jpg

• Like 2

Just now, BabaYaga said:

My favorite "celebrity" chef to emulate is the Pioneer Woman.  Her beef tenderloin recipe is so lights-out amazing that it's requested YOY.  This will be the 4th year in a row.  Sides will be homemade sourdough bread, brussels (balsamic or other possibilities), Bob's Steakhouse giant carrots, and a starch - probably as fancy a macaroni as I can manage and/or mashed potatoes.

I'm going to have to try that. And pos rep for the carrots. Fuck those are good. 

• Like 1

My MIL decided we needed something special added to the Christmas menu (which has yet to be determined) - pretzels.  Big, cook in the oven, pretzels.  WTF am I supposed to do with pretzels?  I could get some bratwurst, knackwurst, sauerkraut, mustard and other German things to serve with the fucking pretzels.  However, I've half decided to have a Concession Stand themed Christmas dinner - nachos with cheese from a large can, pickles, sausage wraps, and, of course, pretzels.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

I have a boneless leg of lamb that I'll be cooking sometime between now and the new year.  Getting a rotisserie for Christmas, so I'll like wait to use that. 

G-parents raised sheep/goats for years, so X-mas leg of lamb sends me back to great times as a kid.  I can't ever remember as a kid NOT having it on the table.  There'd be other options (ham, etc), but it was always the centerpiece.  

• Like 1

Christmas Eve at my house is pork tenderloin smoked over pecan, sausage cheese grits, homemade yeast rolls, and iceberg wedges with Roquefort and toasted walnuts.

Christmas morning at my in-laws is honeybaked spiral ham, croissant, strawberry butter, and egg casserole.

Christmas lunch at my folks' house is Thanksgiving Day part 2, because you can never have enough fried turkey, cornbread dressing, cranberry, green bean casserole,  mashed potatoes, and sweet potato and pecan pies.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Let's talk this shit.  Always like to lift ideas from others on the board. 

2018 Xmas version: 

I am planning out NYE menu. 

At this point I know that it will involve oysters (probably grilled or baked), lobster (maybe in a ravioli), a twist on parisa/steak tartare, but still some things to work out, including primary protein. 

Image result for dick in a box justin timberlake

• Like 1

I'm hosting on the 23rd, so not going full traditional Christmas (since I'll have that the next two days - gotta love blended families!). Most (but not all) of these are from the Homesick Texan cookbooks.

Appetizers

• Tamales
  • Guacamole
  • Queso

Sides

• Chipotle Cheddar Scalloped Potatoes
  • Bacon and Chipotle Corn Pudding 
  • Frito Salad

Mains

• Sweet Potato and Black Bean Enchiladas (I've got a vegetarian sister, but these are the bomb)
  • Turkey Enchiladas with Sweet-Potato Chipotle Sauce 

Desert

• Apple Cake 
Edited by hornian
  • Like 2

Ree Drummond grates on me like no other with her bullshit frontier schtick. But damn if she doesn’t make some good looking recipes.

Christmas Eve - will run to Eataly in the city, pick up the Biggest non farm raised head on Shrimp or Langostini to grill whole.  Will make a homemade pomodoro sauce, and homemade pasta, buffalo mozzarella to serve ontop of the pasta.  My 13 yo son has taken over as pomodoro chef, and its become quite the tradition

Christmas Day - 9.5lb bone in Prime rib roast. Lots of spicy as hell horseradish to the side.  Mashed potatos.  Pancetta and balsamic green beans(however the fuck they are called in French)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AustinMT said:

Christmas Eve tradition is dinner at Fleming’s, will be again this year 

Christmas Day:

Smoked Herb Crusted Prime Rib Roast 

Hasselback Potato Gratin

Charred corn green chili pudding

Gruyere Popovers 

Flourless chocolate ancho torte

great looking menu, brother. Can I have your recipe for the Rib Roast? thanks in advance. 

29 minutes ago, Errestaurants said:

great looking menu, brother. Can I have your recipe for the Rib Roast? thanks in advance. 

Get the bone-in rib roast.  I rub the entire surface with roasted garlic purée — you can buy it at Williams Sonoma (or some grocery stores) or make you own by roasting the garlic and smashing it and mixing with some olive oil.  For the herbs, I use fresh rosemary, thyme, oregano, coarse sea salt and coarse cracked pepper.  I’ve even used some herbs de provence to mix in, and rub it in.    Key is being generous and really getting a lot of herbs on the crust. This type of hearty beef will take a lot more seasoning than most people think.

Smoke at 250 until you reach the desired temp, or pull it 10 or so degrees below the desired temp and sear/crisp it in a hot grill for a few minutes.  I’ve done it both ways.  If you sear on the grill you really need to watch it because it will flare up fast and burn.  I have a Traeger so I typically will just crank it to high near the end instead of searing on the grill.  

Let rest and serve.  I remove mine from the bone by slicing along the bones as a whole piece and slice from there (because I have people that won’t eat a full bone slice). Or keep it on the bone — whatever you like. 

• Like 2

So Christmas Eve is at the inlaws so it will be yet another turkey in the oven hooray.  Christmas day will be big breakfast, eggs, biscuits, bacon etc.  Then grazing all day then dinner.  Prime rib with bacon wrapped asparagus, garlic roasted potatoes and some other stuff I may think of between now and when I get my ass to the store tomorrow.  NYE I may do a beef wellington I believe.  I may nix that since it is so much work, and just do ribs and wings etc.  Have not thought that far ahead.

My mom called my wife to verify that the osso buco would be well done.

Fucking ungrateful fuck.

Damn. That goes in the holiday bullshit thread. I hope you said no.

That said, I can’t really talk. I’ve been wanting to do a prime rib / rib roast on the BGE forever but wife always nixes it. The edge of her steak adventurousness is a medium-well filet or a cheesesteak. It pains me.

At least she likes bbq.

29 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Nice and easy. Picked up a couple dozen tortillas from Jesses yesterday and they were awesome. So I decided we Will pick up a few more dozen next week and that's what we'll do.

Will come up with some fajitas or barbocoa and beans and rice.  

Margaritas.

Picked up 4lbs of barbacoa from Michoacana near Hobby Lobby yesterday. Have to get there early this time of year but it's great. Gf made tamales so we didn't get any from Jessie's but I've heard they're great. We did get the standard big bag of chips from there though. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Picked up 4lbs of barbacoa from Michoacana near Hobby Lobby yesterday. Have to get there early this time of year but it's great. Gf made tamales so we didn't get any from Jessie's but I've heard they're great. We did get the standard big bag of chips from there though. 

I haven't been to Michocana but I need to go.  

Good to know about the barbacoa.  

I love Jesse's.  10 feet inside the front door there is a tortilla conveyor belt.  You can imagine how good it smells. I wish I had a candle of that stuff.

So I'm about to drop ~ $100 or so on prime rib, but my wife has apparently committed us to a 5 PM Christmas Eve service with family.  Joy.  Dinner will follow.

I'm trying to figure out how to cook a prime rib in such a way that I can be gone for 90 minutes or so.  I've heard about a technique where you put it in a 500 F oven for 5 minutes per pound, and then turn the oven off.  Two hours later, if no miscreant opens the oven door in the meantime, the prime rib is allegedly a perfect medium rare with a glorious crust.

Anybody tried this?

So I'm about to drop ~ $100 or so on prime rib, but my wife has apparently committed us to a 5 PM Christmas Eve service with family.  Joy.  Dinner will follow.
I'm trying to figure out how to cook a prime rib in such a way that I can be gone for 90 minutes or so.  I've heard about a technique where you put it in a 500 F oven for 5 minutes per pound, and then turn the oven off.  Two hours later, if no miscreant opens the oven door in the meantime, the prime rib is allegedly a perfect medium rare with a glorious crust.
Anybody tried this?

If it’s big enough could you reverse sear it at the lowest setting your oven goes?

If it’s big enough could you reverse sear it at the lowest setting your oven goes?

From Serious Eats

Preheat oven to lowest possible temperature setting, 150°F (66°C) or higher if necessary. (Some ovens cannot hold a temperature below 250°F/121°C.) Season roast generously with salt and pepper. Place roast, with fat cap up, on a V-rack set in a large roasting pan, or on a wire rack set in a rimmed baking sheet. Place in oven and cook until center of roast registers 120-125°F (49-52°C) on an instant-read thermometer for rare, 130°F (54°C) for medium-rare, or 135°F (57°C) for medium to medium-well. In a 150°F oven, this will take around 5 1/2 to 6 1/2 hours; in a 250°F oven, this will take 3 1/2 to 4 hours.

Remove roast from oven and tent loosely with aluminum foil. Place in a warm spot in the kitchen and allow to rest for at least 30 minutes and up to 1 1/2 hours. Meanwhile, preheat oven to highest possible temperature setting, 500 to 550°F (260 to 288°C).

Ten minutes before guests are ready to be served, remove foil, place roast back in hot oven, and cook until well browned and crisp on the exterior, 6 to 10 minutes. Remove from oven, carve, and serve immediately.

I'd be hesitant to walk away from the oven with an expensive cut like that in there. If you were on the front end of the cook, maybe.  But not if trying to time it out on the end. 

If it absolutely had to be that way, maybe think about sous vide. Then when you get home you can dry it out and flash sear it.  It will not be as good as a reverse sear, but at least you won't have to worry about overshooting.

The obvious answer of course is that you tell your wife you are staying home while they go to XME services to tend to dinner. And bourbon.  But you don't have to tell her that last part. 

28 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Anybody tried this?

Works great

I know on which side my bread is buttered -- the mounting hysteria due to one kid already moved out and a second getting ready to go to college is making this a Christmas no sane man wants to fuck with.

I should have looked at Serious Eats.  I think that will work perfectly, given the fact the temperature will be climbing very slowly towards the end.  My oven can hold 170 F, so that's on the long of the cook time -- probably 5 hours or so + the standing time + the high heat roast.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Anyone done a Whole Strip Loin? I thought my wife bought a Prime Rib but took it out freezer to start thawing today and it's a nice 15LB Prime hunk of Strip - looks pretty awesome.  I'm thinking smoke at 250 to around 120 or so then sear it but let me know if any other tips.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

Anyone done a Whole Strip Loin? I thought my wife bought a Prime Rib but took it out freezer to start thawing today and it's a nice 15LB Prime hunk of Strip - looks pretty awesome.  I'm thinking smoke at 250 to around 120 or so then sear it but let me know if any other tips.

I’ve done one On the smoker about half that size — your method is correct.  Cook it pretty much the same as a prime rib

• Like 2