Chrysler/Dodge/Ram/Fiat/Citroen/Peugeot/Alpha Romeo/Jeep/Maserati

RPM

Yeah, no way this ends badly.

Fiat Chrysler and Peugeot Agree on Terms to Forge New Auto Giant

Fiat Chrysler and PSA of France said Wednesday that they had agreed to the terms of a merger that would create the world’s fourth largest automaker.

The companies said they had signed a binding agreement formalizing the merger, announced in October.

The accord brings Fiat Chrysler and PSA, the maker of Peugeot and Citroën cars, much closer to creating a carmaker bigger than General Motors. But there will remain the task of integrating the companies. The companies said Wednesday that it would take another year to 15 months to close the deal.

By combining, Fiat Chrysler and PSA will surpass Volkswagen as the market leader in Europe. Between them they will have more than 400,000 employees and sales worldwide of 8.7 million vehicles.

In addition to Fiat, Peugeot and Citroën, their car brands will include Alfa Romeo, Dodge muscle cars, Ram trucks, Jeep sport utility vehicles, and Maserati luxury cars. The combined company is particularly strong in S.U.V.s, the fastest growing segment in Europe. But it is weak in luxury cars, a market dominated by Audi, BMW and Mercedes.

Edited by RPM

Chrysler/Ram/Fiat/Citroen/Peugeot/Alpha Romero/Jeep/Maserati

that's like a who's who list of car companies with absolute shit reliability. glad they were smart enough to lump them all under one shitty umbrella.

the quarterly calls will be a mystery game of which brand(s) gets the blame for the poor quarterly showing.

Interesting / surprising results from JD Power 2019 UK Vehicle Dependability Survey (problems per 100 vehicle):

The most dependable car brands have been revealed in the latest JD Power 2019 UK Vehicle Dependability Survey. Each year the survey looks at which cars and brands suffer from the most and least incidents to try and find out how reliable they are. The study measures 177 problem symptoms in eight categories: vehicle exterior; driving experience; features/controls/displays (FCD); audio/communication/entertainment/navigation (ACEN); seats; heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC); vehicle interior; and engine and transmission. This year the study found that new technologies are causing the most incidents for the owner.

Peugeot ranked as the most dependable carmaker with a score of 77 PP100. Skoda (88 PP100), Hyundai (90 PP100), Nissan (94 PP100) and Suzuki (94 PP100) make up the top five.

Of the premium brands Volvo ranked the highest with 106 PP100 while Mercedes-Benz ranked second highest with 136PP100.

At the other end of the scale was BMW averaging 181 PP100, followed by Fiat (173PP100) and Audi (167PP100).

Most dependable car brands based on how many problems per 100 vehicles

Peugeot - 77
Skoda - 88
Hyundai - 90
Nissan - 94
Suzuki - 94
Vauxhall - 95
Kia - 101
MINI - 103
Ford - 104
Volvo - 106
Honda - 109
VW - 113
Dacia - 114
SEAT - 117

Industry Average - 119

Mazda - 122
Renault - 122
Citroen - 126
Toyota - 134
Mercedes-Benz - 136
Land Rover - 142
Jaguar - 159
Audi -167
Fiat - 173
BMW - 181

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/1124498/Most-dependable-car-brand-2019-Reliable-Peugeot-Skoda-Hyundai

10 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Interesting / surprising results from JD Power 2019 UK Vehicle Dependability Survey (problems per 100 vehicle):

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/1124498/Most-dependable-car-brand-2019-Reliable-Peugeot-Skoda-Hyundai

i'm gonna call bullshit on that one.

i'd trust consumer reports over most publications.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2019/11/14/consumer-reports-auto-reliability-study-2020-vehicles/2578463001/

22 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

i'm gonna call bullshit on that one.

i'd trust consumer reports over most publications.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2019/11/14/consumer-reports-auto-reliability-study-2020-vehicles/2578463001/

It probably boils down to the specific vehicles from each brand that are available in each market. Ford, for example, has several models they manufacture/sell in Europe that aren't sold in the US.

The report I posted was from Europe, because I wanted to see how the French car brands stack up. None of those brands (Peugeot, Citroen, Renault) are available in the US and are excluded from Consumer Reports ratings.

I know that they've got a poor reputation based on their cars from the 1970s & '80s, but how do we know they still have shit cars nearly 30 years since they were last sold in the US? The JD Powers report would seem to say that Peugeot, at least, isn't shit anymore.

11 minutes ago, Lobo said:

8 of the worst 9 car brands on the planet. 

But at least Yugo can say they weren't part of this tragic merger idea that ends with billions lost and thousands dead. 

How did those crappy car manufacturers make billions? They must have invested in Apple stock.

when i bought my kids a "new" car, budget was 10k. they kept pushing me on buying a used bmw. of course i pushed for used japanese.

i said i can buy them a japanese car and pay for the repairs if something breaks. or i can buy them a bmw, and they pay for the repairs when shit breaks cause shit will break and it will not be cheap to fix.

they own a used japanese vehicle.

13 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

when i bought my kids a "new" car, budget was 10k. they kept pushing me on buying a used bmw. of course i pushed for used japanese.

i said i can buy them a japanese car and pay for the repairs if something breaks. or i can buy them a bmw, and they pay for the repairs when shit breaks cause shit will break and it will not be cheap to fix.

Out of curiosity, what did you buy and with how many miles.  The boy will be in the market (on my nickel) for a car soon.

9 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Out of curiosity, what did you buy and with how many miles.  The boy will be in the market (on my nickel) for a car soon.

bought in 2015, a 2009 nissan murano with 80k miles. in 4 years, the only thing i've had to fix was a broken thermostat which costs $330. the driver side visor won't stay up but a bungee cord fixed that. kids beat the car to shit but i've been very happy with reliability and the low cost of ownership.

i have daughters so a murano was fine with them. i don't think a teenage boy would enjoy driving a murano.

Edited by crash_davis
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Hate said:

I had a Peugeot in high school.  I loved that car. It was like this but without the wind deflector on the sunroof.

6a8139b5-0924-44bf-9235-340795dad88a.JPG

You probably had to beat the pussy off with a stick driving that thing in HS, huh?

28 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

We own three Japanese cars, all bought used (2015 Accord commuter econobox, 2014 Outback family wagon,  95 Tacoma for hauling shit and off road), and they all look like shit, but get the job done reliably and efficiently.

Other than the Accord, because its so small and shit is so tight and I can't get under it without using jack stands (which kind of scare me to be honest), I can work on them myself for the most part, which I rarely need to.

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

How did those crappy car manufacturers make billions? They must have invested in Apple stock.

Yeah, manufacturers of crappy products can’t possibly get rich.  Nor can firms providing subpar service.  Do you honestly think you can’t make a billion dollars without exceptional quality and/or second?   Have you really never heard or Chevrolet or Wal Mart?

2 hours ago, bolverk said:

It probably boils down to the specific vehicles from each brand that are available in each market. Ford, for example, has several models they manufacture/sell in Europe that aren't sold in the US.

The report I posted was from Europe, because I wanted to see how the French car brands stack up. None of those brands (Peugeot, Citroen, Renault) are available in the US and are excluded from Consumer Reports ratings.

I know that they've got a poor reputation based on their cars from the 1970s & '80s, but how do we know they still have shit cars nearly 30 years since they were last sold in the US? The JD Powers report would seem to say that Peugeot, at least, isn't shit anymore.

Modern Peugeot are very high quality.  Citroen to a lesser extent.  Theyre both play the mild-luxury market vs Renault, kinda like how Mazda has generally nicer polish vs Honda/Toyota.

Both are better than the shitshow that is Fiat Chrysler.  Atleast Jeep has some brand equity

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

I bought an Audi 100LS for $1500 after I got out of the service. Thought I had robbed the car lot blind until the fuel injection system took a shit, then the CV joints. This was 1982 and the only place I could buy parts was at the Porsche dealer. I quickly learned who got fucked in that deal and it wasn't the car lot.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Chrysler/Ram/Fiat/Citroen/Peugeot/Alpha Romero/Jeep/Maserati

that's like a who's who list of car companies with absolute shit reliability. glad they were smart enough to lump them all under one shitty umbrella.

the quarterly calls will be a mystery game of which brand(s) gets the blame for the poor quarterly showing.

It's like the "2020 Coaching Staff" thread of the car industry.

• Like 2

If we get these bad boys back....

2595188.jpg

....I'm listening.

Also, if we're talking the glory that is the Lada....the boy's first time driving a standard was a Lada....with diplomatic plates....

b7d2156b3293ed04f9c8cddc6395aee8.jpg

I gotta tell you...that little POS was kinda fun to drive.

Edited by Brisketexan

7 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

That’s screams ‘I’m a virgin for life !’

7 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

You probably had to beat the pussy off with a stick driving that thing in HS, huh?

In 1986 that was a cool car.  I had no issues pulling pussy while driving that car. 

• Like 1

On 12/18/2019 at 10:31 AM, bolverk said:

That list seems incomplete, missing are Tesla and GM (or all of it's brands).

On 12/18/2019 at 10:48 AM, Bevo said:

Damn, it seems like Jeep gets passed around once a month.

Jeep is a slut whore, who is fun to ride but you don't want to own/marry.

OP title/list does not include Dodge

27 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

That list seems incomplete, missing are Tesla and GM (or all of it's brands).

Jeep is a slut whore, who is fun to ride but you don't want to own/marry.

OP title/list does not include Dodge

I don't think GM has a presence in Europe anymore after they sold off Opel/Vauxhall.

• Like 1