Moving to Toledo

Laxtonto

The little airport there use to be nice, but since Delta pulled out, it's now shit.

Lots of morbidly obese people.

Red state (for now).

I will probably have to move up there in a few years due to wife's family, but am thinking maybe Michigan instead since it's blue and now has weed.  But, Michigan roads suck.  I'd still drive across Ohio to the Cleveland airport than deal with shit hole Detroit airport. 

DTW was surprisingly functional the last few times Ive been through it.

Then again my point of reference for comparison lately has been MSP and O'Hare, so maybe I'm just not used to decent airports anymore. 

Dont mind the red state stuff and the fat people things might get annoying.

My brother went to Toledo for his master's because of the funding they offered, stuck around as an adjunct for a little while afterwards. We went to Cleveland for a wedding and he found the vibrant and cosmopolitan atmosphere refreshing. I don't know much about Toledo, but if it makes peoole say that about Cleveland, it can't have much to offer.

That said, SD sucks too so you'd be moving to a cheaper shit hole at least.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

On 12/24/2019 at 9:01 AM, gmr548 said:

My brother went to Toledo for his master's because of the funding they offered, stuck around as an adjunct for a little while afterwards. We went to Cleveland for a wedding and he found the vibrant and cosmopolitan atmosphere refreshing. I don't know much about Toledo, but if it makes peoole say that about Cleveland, it can't have much to offer.

That said, SD sucks too so you'd be moving to a cheaper shit hole at least.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Surprisingly Cleveland is really cool downtown on 4th street and the river and the young/cool area near the stadium.

I flew into DTW and drove in the ice and storm to Toledo the other week. Perrysburg or Maumee seemed okay. I was doing some consulting for a large agribusiness (a smaller ADM or Cargill), and spent a few weeks there. Some of the millennials I met said it was cool and up and coming with craft breweries and hipster-like cultures setting in...

Avoid Tony Packos or whether the Hungarian hot dog place is; totally overrated.

16 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

Surprisingly Cleveland is really cool downtown on 4th street and the river and the young/cool area near the stadium.

I flew into DTW and drove in the ice and storm to Toledo the other week. Perrysburg or Maumee seemed okay. I was doing some consulting for a large agribusiness (a smaller ADM or Cargill), and spent a few weeks there. Some of the millennials I met said it was cool and up and coming with craft breweries and hipster-like cultures setting in...

The Andersons?  Who's buying them?

15 hours ago, Laxtonto said:

Is it sad to say I’m excited to know they have Kroger... ain’t an HEB, but beats the fuck out of HyVee

Dude it’s Ohio, of course they have a Kroger. Kroger is HQ’ed in Cincinnati. Toledo probably has a Meijer too which rule.

• Like 2

On 12/31/2019 at 12:44 PM, Rougarou said:

Millinnials and Centennials are breathing new life into a lot of older rust belt cities as the cost of living is attractive for them.

Thanks, I didn’t know my Mexican family made it to Chicago.  My point was Toledo has around 10-15k Mexican folks in its city limits.  That’s pretty low for a city of that size meaning there’s not gonna be a great supply chain of quality ethnic foods.   

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/31/2019 at 11:44 AM, Rougarou said:

Oh I'm familiar with Cleveland. I've been numerous times with how much family I have in the area. Cleveland can be a decent place to live, but no one would/should get excited about it. Toledo had that effect. 

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Laxtonto said:

Looks like it is Slyvania...

Loved everything about NW Ohio, but then again I am using SD as a comparative baseline.  Will say property tax in both Slyvania and Ottawa Hills seems a bit high

Ohio's school funding/tax redistribution is a mess largely due to the charter school provisions.  Basically if property taxes aren't high the local public schools are underfunded. Our kids' private school got more per child from the state than the local school district received.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

• 1 month later...
On 12/18/2019 at 8:35 AM, Laxtonto said:

So far the biggest thing I have noticed is holy fuck the housing market it cheap!

Bump, I got on Zillow when this thread first popped up and they alerted me today about a house that just went under contract, this is an extreme amount of house for $510k. $130/sq ft on the freaking' river.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4151-River-Rd-Toledo-OH-43614/34630385_zpid/

Bump, I got on Zillow when this thread first popped up and they alerted me today about a house that just went under contract, this is an extreme amount of house for $510k. $130/sq ft on the freaking' river.
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4151-River-Rd-Toledo-OH-43614/34630385_zpid/

I didn't even know you could spend $500k on a house in Ohio. Figured that'd get you a whole town or something.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am officially in Ohio and my movers have dropped off my stuff (and surprisingly didn’t try to screw me over at the last minute).

Should I chronicle my weird Ohio interactions here or just save those for other threads...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Parliament said:

You do you, Brother.  And make sure to hit up Tony Paco's.

My wife found that place last time we were here when she was 6 1/2 months pregnant...

Have already swung through the drive thru once and might end up there tomorrow as well...

Odd enough Toledo seems to have a plethora of chain steak houses and a Fuzzys tacos..

Edited by Laxtonto
Im stupid and typing is hard

2 hours ago, Parliament said:

As far as Ohio italian food goes, it isn't bad.  Not every street corner has an Olive Garden on it.

ETA

And I was joking about Tony Paco's.  They're overrated.

I’m not a fan per say, but then again at least it is something different.

Much happier that I have a better selection of sea food (both restaurants and groceries) and just general diversity in food options.

With a 4 year old and a 9 week old, I am not really expecting to go do any real fine dining any time soon anyways